Business YouTube says it has ‘no obligation’ to host anyone’s video - Other changes affect children’s content

• I am killing the Proving Grounds board in a week, unless someone has an idea to make it work. (Thread) (Update 1)

Is this good?

• Yes, YouTube must think of the children/advertisers/etc.

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • No, this WILL be used against YouTubers who go "against the grain", as they say

Votes: 94 24.5%
  • Maybe/I don't know/I'm not sure

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Doesn't matter, something something private companies

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • Go to BitChute/Dailymotion/[insert alternative video upload site here]

Votes: 39 10.2%
  • This is going to cause some EPIC shitstorms when YouTube fucks it up (and it will)

Votes: 219 57.2%

• Total voters

Maggots on a Train v2

new and improved account
kiwifarms.net
I'd love to know the stats on how many vids have under 10 views.

Must be in the tens or hundreds of millions by now
I agree. Goog only knows how many TB of useless nothing video gets dumped on their servers every minute. There's no reason to not use it like a digital landfill, even trash accounts can still make money if they flood the site with enough spammy garbage.

I recommend everybody download copies of anything they like or find valuable, especially in HD. Right now youtubemp4.to is a site that works. YT is experimenting with DRM, get your files now.

Jaimas

Candy and PTSD
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Honestly, I think YouTube is just collapsing under its own weight.

In the early days of the web, the average person who wanted to make some sort of internet content would, at the very least, have to learn some basic HTML and sign up with a free hosting service for a couple of megabytes of space. And ever since then, there’s been a constant push to make things bigger, easier, and more accessible to everyone.

YouTube’s problem is that they achieved that past the point where it was sustainable. I mean, it really shouldn’t be surprising that a site that allows everyone and their grandma to upload and download large amounts of bandwidth-sucking content is heavily dependent on advertising money and unable to turn a profit. It’s been running on borrowed time for a while.

The issue now is that so many of its users have gotten used to this idea of having One Big Website for all of their video content needs that they probably can’t conceptualize anything else. If YouTube kicks the bucket without a viable alternative lined up, it'll be interesting to see what happens.
What's interesting about the claim that Google doesn't make money is that our main source on that is Google itself, and Google is a rather unreliable narrator when it comes to this particular issue, especially because the money they make isn't from Youtube itself, it's from selling off your metadata. They constantly claim Youtube isn't profitable, but good luck getting actual fucking numbers to back that shit up after 2016 because Google went out of its way to make sure fucking nobody can get to it. It was a major reason behind the SEC threatening to fuck the company's ass last year. Google literally had Alphabet CEO Larry Page claim he doesn't know what Youtube's revenue is because he's never seen the numbers.

During that same SEC hearing, Google also claimed that there was no real difference between money made from advertising on YouTube videos and money made from advertising from search results – or any other of Google's numerous products. It's all just online advertising, after all. And thus they rolled it into the same "advertising" revenue.

No one can say that Youtube actually is unprofitable because nobody's seen that shit in years.

Piga Dgrifm

Where are those good old fashioned values?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Will they only be banning your YouTube account, or all of your google shit?

Accounts that just favorite shit and don’t upload anything aren’t making Google any money, so now I’m picturing some dude telling his boss he lost access to the Google Doc he was working on because he didn’t upload any terrible animations of Elsa pissing on Spiderman.

Jaimas

Candy and PTSD
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Will they only be banning your YouTube account, or all of your google shit?

Accounts that just favorite shit and don’t upload anything aren’t making Google any money, so now I’m picturing some dude telling his boss he lost access to the Google Doc he was working on because he didn’t upload any terrible animations of Elsa pissing on Spiderman.
Do you know why the Elsa/Spiderman videos exist? It's because Youtube has necessitated their existence. When everything's getting demonetized and you can't guarantee anything, why the fuck wouldn't you make a 1% profit with riskless trash that just does nothing but serve the algorithm?

Ironically. what's amazing about this is it's basically what caused Clickbait to happen. Clickbait journalism basically dick-rode Facebook's recommended algorithms, and used that to forge a briefly successful business model. Unfortunately, that only lasted until the Algorithmic cheat codes they were using got cut off at the ankles by Facebook itself. That's the risk of doing this.

The humorous difference: The clickbait makers went kicking and screaming, but the peddlers of Elsa and Spiderman trash don't care and will just go find some other trend in the algorithms to exploit. If there's a hole in a market, it will be filled, even if that hole happens to be procedurally-generated trash intended to serve an algorithm.

Lurkio

kiwifarms.net
God, I remember first stumbling onto Youtube back in 2006, barely a year after it first launched...it was a magical place where a young me didn't have to wait 20-30 minutes for a video to load (usually) even with shitty dial-up internet. It was a place where you could see young and aspiring content creators post things that were, honestly, kinda garbage, but to a pre-teen they were magical and hilarious because they cursed a lot and used potty humor...

God, nostalgia is weird. Why do I long for a time when if I wanted to look for a song there was a 50% chance the only version I could find was "chimpmunked" because the only good uploads were taken down, where the best animator on the site was still an under grad-student who was barely practiced with their craft, and where there was a solid chance a video would buffer half-way through and sometimes I'd have to refresh Youtube just so it would load properly?

I guess it's because there wasn't really any stagnation. There was no where to go but up, there was a potential for a really creative video sharing website...instead this is what we got.

Last edited:

Token Weaboo

We're here to liberate you, stop resisting
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dailymotion's site SUCKS, the interface sucks, the player sucks, you cant que videos from the same uploader, ece.
All of this is true, but their Ad rev policies are way better than YouTubes. Their partnership program is linked to the account not to an entirely different party. Except you don't get paid until you make $100 for the month and anyone can sign up for it without a pre-requisite. The issue is that Dailymotion isn't really popular outside of France. I wish they'd do better on their apps and UI's.

Edit; this also means you can still make money on Dailymotion after getting an account banned. You just make a new account and get into their partnership program.

Piga Dgrifm

Where are those good old fashioned values?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just hate what it's become. I'm sick of the duck-lipped "influencers" who just over-react to the latest products over and over. I'm sick of the barrage of clips from awful late night TV hosts screaming about Drumpf being pushed to the top for no reason. I'm sick of every search drudging up stuff from corporations and then maybe an actual user after a page or two. I'm sick of every video being covered in ads, and even if you have adblock you have to sit through a few minutes of shilling for some shitty subscription box more often than not. I'm sick of people getting throttled in the search results for wrongthink. I'm sick of this "family-friendly" nonsense where you're not even allowed to cuss, when the site clearly says it's for 13 and up.

I miss how it used to be. Even if it was some kid badly trying to copy the AVGN with his shitty camera, at least the content had heart. At least it was user-created. If they want to be another streaming service they should just change their name. It's clear they don't want any user-generated content unless they've carefully curated it themselves.

Jewelsmakerguy

(Cheesy 80s music intensifies)
kiwifarms.net
I just hate what it's become. I'm sick of the duck-lipped "influencers" who just over-react to the latest products over and over. I'm sick of the barrage of clips from awful late night TV hosts screaming about Drumpf being pushed to the top for no reason. I'm sick of every search drudging up stuff from corporations and then maybe an actual user after a page or two. I'm sick of every video being covered in ads, and even if you have adblock you have to sit through a few minutes of shilling for some shitty subscription box more often than not. I'm sick of people getting throttled in the search results for wrongthink. I'm sick of this "family-friendly" nonsense where you're not even allowed to cuss, when the site clearly says it's for 13 and up.

I miss how it used to be. Even if it was some kid badly trying to copy the AVGN with his shitty camera, at least the content had heart. At least it was user-created. If they want to be another streaming service they should just change their name. It's clear they don't want any user-generated content unless they've carefully curated it themselves.
At this point, just shut the whole thing down. We know it isn't profitable, and that it'll fuck up a huge chunk of people on the site (if not everyone if they fuck things up while implementing these changes) once this is in place. Lord knows the advertisers wouldn't want most of their potential userbase to be kicked out of the loop.

It's pretty much a lose-lose for everyone except Alphabet at this point.

Ashenthorn

Pricker bush
kiwifarms.net
I swear, 95% of website drama is directly due to the owners/admins either having ambiguous rules, or being inconsistent with how they enforce them. Or both.
lol. It's been that way since newsgroups and IRC.

The art and craft community is freaking the fuck out and rightfully so. So I spent some time at work listening my way down the rabbit hole the other night, and eventually came across these two videos.

From the sound of things, they're basically going to do the same stupid AI shit Tumblr did, and it'll probably fail the exact same way (but with more finesse, I mean this is Google).
The FTC spokesman quoted in the vids makes it sound like they intend to use YT as a foot in the door to try and...sanitize the entire internet?

Haha, what?
Surprise:

gone.png

Alec Benson Leary

Creator of Asperchu
Christorical Figure
kiwifarms.net
I'm aware. I dont think Google started out with a political agenda either. it evolved over time as google got bigger and bigger. the same exact thing would happen to a mind geek video host
I don't believe Google at large even had a political agenda as recently as the end of 2016. I'm confident Facebook didn't until after that.

Dreamland

Craniometric Perfection
kiwifarms.net
YT is not your friend and they're a monopolist in their niche. Content ID trolling is a legitimate sport and the chance of getting caught and getting trouble is nil, Reporting for CP has become the new dislike button which again can be abused without punishment or recourse for the videomaker.

To their users i'd say look for means like Newpipe/Freetube/Youtube-dl to get what you want out of them without funding the botnet. To the videomakers there's the harder predicament of posting your video to a competitor that does want your business without the jewish tricks and games.

MrJokerRager

I like me some nice big boobs
kiwifarms.net
I don't believe Google at large even had a political agenda as recently as the end of 2016. I'm confident Facebook didn't until after that.
Their agenda before 2016 was gathering up all the worlds knowledge. I remember watching a documentary where they went to french library or university and the librarian threw them out cause they tried to buy him out with a gift or something in exchange for scanning all the books they had. Its been years when I saw that doc.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino