Business YouTube says it has ‘no obligation’ to host anyone’s video - Other changes affect children’s content

Is this good?

• Yes, YouTube must think of the children/advertisers/etc.

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • No, this WILL be used against YouTubers who go "against the grain", as they say

Votes: 95 24.7%
  • Maybe/I don't know/I'm not sure

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • Doesn't matter, something something private companies

Votes: 24 6.3%
  • Go to BitChute/Dailymotion/[insert alternative video upload site here]

Votes: 39 10.2%
  • This is going to cause some EPIC shitstorms when YouTube fucks it up (and it will)

Votes: 219 57.0%

• Total voters

spiritofamermaid

Will compensate 4 archived YT vids, PM for details
kiwifarms.net
Well, I just looked over how many videos I'd want to back up, aaaaand it's around 5-6,000, and that's a low estimate.
And there's no way I'd have the manpower and space to back them up with my RL stuff before December 10th for new TOS or January for COPPA.

So I did some more digging and after reading this (http://bit.ly/2Od3SOA) I'm a little reassured.

It seems to be only directed towards those who are already getting money from YouTube through monetization, and videos/channels that don't are ignored. SO if you watch videos that are from tiny channels that don't use ads to earn money hopefully they will be okay.

Jewelsmakerguy

(Cheesy 80s music intensifies)
kiwifarms.net
Well, I just looked over how many videos I'd want to back up, aaaaand it's around 5-6,000, and that's a low estimate.
And there's no way I'd have the manpower and space to back them up with my RL stuff before December 10th for new TOS or January for COPPA.

So I did some more digging and after reading this (http://bit.ly/2Od3SOA) I'm a little reassured.

It seems to be only directed towards those who are already getting money from YouTube through monetization, and videos/channels that don't are ignored. SO if you watch videos that are from tiny channels that don't use ads to earn money hopefully they will be okay.
Eeehhh, this is still YouTube we're talking about here. They will find a way to fuck everyone over.

garakfan69

Please be patient, I have idiocy
kiwifarms.net
Youtube-dl let's you download whole channels or playlists with a single command.
And a less space-hungry lower quality backup is better than no backup.

Piga Dgrifm

Where are those good old fashioned values?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I wouldn't call the creators completely innocent either.
Everyone knows YouTube spies on its users. Creators know and even profit from YouTube's illegal shit.
And creators popular with kids help YouTube spy on children more. How are they not complicit?

A lot of moral outrage but no one is willing to give up supporting an immoral company.
None of them are gonna get a real job and stop trying to make money streaming Fortnite on YouTube.
I have no issue with this harming those weird finger family channels or something like Ryan ToysReviews that's just nothing but advertising toys while exploiting their kid; I just see how this could easily come and bite people who aren't actually making stuff for children since we all know that this is going to be done by a bot and the criteria for what makes a "kid" video is absurdly vague.

It will be funny if things like this end up getting stuck in the Kids mode thing because the bot noticed it was a cartoon character:

ConfederateIrishman

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It won't work though. For a single reason: the recent blizzard incident proved the public can and will tarnish anything into the color black. They made Mei literally unsellable in China with a days effort. The internet will get COPPA associated with some nefarious thing quickly and the FTC will back off for fear of being labeled by the general public as enablers (or fix it/delay such actions while denying that they are before doing it inevitably before the higher governments notice this and take rash action... which the impeachment has proven that it will do so).
That is a terrible example, the public acted outraged for a week (and that is being generous) before deciding they did not want to lose out on future blizzard games; There might be more funny winnie the pooh memes on the net, but nothing has fundamentally changed there.

spiritofamermaid

Will compensate 4 archived YT vids, PM for details
kiwifarms.net
I checked my account and half of my animations had been already marked as "made for kids", and I had to manually go through and change them back. So I feel bad for people who had more videos than me.

It also showed me that this doesn't o ly affect videos that are monetized; every user who uploads a video has to specify.

What's interesting is that this is separate from the age level for the video itself. So, when you upload a video you have to mark the age range that this is appropriate to view. By default, YouTube operates at a PG-13 level. However, you can specify what level/age range, with the levels vaguely corresponding to MPAA ratings.

Also, I encourage people to check out MatPat's video on this. I know he's a bit eh here, but he apparently recently had an interview with the CEO as well as more knowledge about the lawsuit itself. I'm phone posting, but when I get to my computer I'll edit in a link.

Pop-Tart

The final solution to the weeb question.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Cross posting something that I mentioned in the bitchute thread.

One last thing that @oddish has pointed out in the past. Is that youtubers are just as guilty of not helping any other platforms grow. Many don't bother even having backup channels on sites like bitchute or others that even auto archive shit from YouTube for you. So they only stay on youtube, and don't even try to help anywhere else grown in any measurable way. When there is no reason not to do this, especially when many of these sites auto mirror for you.

Last edited:

greengrilledcheese

Free, White, and 21
kiwifarms.net
Twitter is also adding the "commercially viable" part to their TOS.

Screenshot_20191202-192304-398x512.jpg

EK0bhd4X0AAHjJb.jpeg

Jewelsmakerguy

(Cheesy 80s music intensifies)
kiwifarms.net
Oh, FFS. This is going to backfire horribly, if enough people get angry enough to push back against the boot stamping on their face.

...if.
As much as I want to hope and believe that people will want the heads of those who run YouTube and the FTC once these new rules are in place (since the FTC is making everyone pay for YouTube's fuckups instead of just targeting the giant monopoly that is Google), we know most people are either going to ignore, remain unaware of what could happen, or take it like a bitch.

Only way I can see this really backfiring is if YouTube and Google decide to start going after the other big corporations.

As for twitter, I would laugh if it meant some of the more troublesome accounts were booted off for no reason.

greengrilledcheese

Free, White, and 21
kiwifarms.net
YouTube has a new blog post:

Tweet announcing it:

TLDR; get ready for even more blatant progaganda to be pushed because the 2020 election is coming.

Cactus Wings

Coughing for Cash
kiwifarms.net
Same shit with Tumblr. "Oh no, I live off of exposure on this one platform, I shouldn't need to branch out; advertise my Twitter, my Instagram, my personal .com website! Wait, Tumblr is going down? I'm lost!"

It's baffling to me people even make YouTube videos. It's 100% sponsorships paying that shit, so why not move it off-site or make podcasts? Premiere your videos elsewhere? It's a meme that big shots start selling merchandise that is more akin a real fashion line than just merch, but it's a smart thing to do. Look at all the fashion YouTubers. Why are they famous? Because of a literal product; make-up reviews, fashion videos. Then they start their own line and bam, millionaires.

Sure it's tough to create "your own let's play" the same way, but then start selling other things through your presence. Pewdiepie has games, books, clothing, dlive partnership. Start investing in other shit. Even smaller content creators are being bought out by Mixer now. If you can only make YouTube vids, you're obsolete. Do like every other business and refresh your competences in your field or get left behind.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
Same shit with Tumblr. "Oh no, I live off of exposure on this one platform, I shouldn't need to branch out; advertise my Twitter, my Instagram, my personal .com website! Wait, Tumblr is going down? I'm lost!"

It's baffling to me people even make YouTube videos. It's 100% sponsorships paying that shit, so why not move it off-site or make podcasts? Premiere your videos elsewhere? It's a meme that big shots start selling merchandise that is more akin a real fashion line than just merch, but it's a smart thing to do. Look at all the fashion YouTubers. Why are they famous? Because of a literal product; make-up reviews, fashion videos. Then they start their own line and bam, millionaires.

Sure it's tough to create "your own let's play" the same way, but then start selling other things through your presence. Pewdiepie has games, books, clothing, dlive partnership. Start investing in other shit. Even smaller content creators are being bought out by Mixer now. If you can only make YouTube vids, you're obsolete. Do like every other business and refresh your competences in your field or get left behind.
People use YouTube because it's easy and free hosting. You can set up a channel and start uploading pretty easily; which is orders of magnitude easier than hosting video content on your own website. It's also much easier to build an audience on YouTube as there already is a huge number people watching it (as opposed to starting something like the LP.zone)

Once you've got a large following, the hosting being free is very attractive - because it's costly. It's the main reason you see very few self hosted creators and why youtube "loses" money, video content is fucking costly.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino