YouTubers talking about "not doing so well"

• t.me/kiwifarms is our Telegram for downtime and announcements.
    • The .is domain is disabled due to issues with the CDN and having multiple domains.

Kuchipatchi

Ah, I love summer!
kiwifarms.net
I want your opinion on something, read and give me your thoughts:
This has bothered me for a while now, I've had a few videos come into my subscription feed of YTers talk about how things aren't doing so well such as unable to gain more subscribers, demonetisation issues, stagnation of growth, Patreon and such. They're telling their viewers that "times are tough right now" and trying to guilt viewers into giving them sheckels. It irritates me so much because YT is a free service and I put videos on in the background so I just mainly listen to videos or watch them while eating. They're not like TV channels when you have to pay premium for access as they don't even compare to that level of entertainment yet, they're asking for money for a free service. I only give my money to top quality (and one respectable YTer I really like) channels that make longer, edited videos and not a guy in his bedroom playing games all day.

The two particular YTers that did this are Stop Skeletons From Fighting and Shesez of Boundary Break which is surprising since the latter collaborates a lot with Did You Know Gaming and other top YouTubers (eg, AVGN) but made a video saying that his channel has stagnated and needs to do something to create a growth in his numbers. but those types of "my channel isn't growing" type of videos are meant to guilt viewers into pledging to them because they act sad, uncertain, slow or unmotivated on camera.

I don't know how to tell if a YTer is in the amber zone or if it's even possible to get an accurate approximation since I don't know how AdSense or Patreon works exactly so the YTer's word is all I have. But even then, what YT is just monetising your hobby, it's not TV, when I click subscribe, I meant to videos, not to pay the maker money. If I want to pay for my entertainment, I'll buy DVDs or a Sky subscription for much better background noise. It's like they don't understand why viewers log into YT in the first place. If viewers do want to give them money for their videos, it means the viewer really likes what the YTer is putting out so they should make more of that, right? In fact, these begging videos makes me want to support them less for that. If they want a stable income, get a real job. YT is incredibly difficult to maintain after the numerous adpocolypses and policy changes.
Perhaps do something that can be monetised such as merchandise (not with RedBubble or Zazzle, etc cos they take a large chunk of your money), products for sale (Gaming Historian did a Blu-Ray Indiegogo campaign, Ashens wrote two books, Guru Larry is publishing his book, big YTers have YouTooz figurines and Elvis the Alien has a clothing line), that could be overwhelming but if you're not up to the task, find an alternative or put up and shut up.

Though I brought up Shesez as an example earlier because he networks to other channels, professionals in the game industry and even developers of games he covers in videos yet he claims to be plateauing. My guess that he's not doing anything spectacular in his videos because you see similar things happen in his videos so they get old. I think it took him too long to realise that his content is getting stale and forgot about a series that he's done called Sequence Break which could mix things up again, that's a good way (if done correctly) to retain viewers and bring in new ones. If new viewers find something via Sequence Break, they may check out the Boundary Break videos and be there to stay.

I kinda ended up dumping my thoughts on specific examples because I think they can be easily remedied as Shesez has the necessary skills and networking to bring his numbers up but he's a bit down right now and I don't know what he's going to do for the New Year as it seems like he's trying to think of something new to do despite having something already. You can only judge on individual cases and offer tailored solutions but the best solution for all is to not guilt your viewer base into giving you money for free YT videos.

What do you guys think about this? Do you sympathise with YTers that make these kind of "woe is me" videos after a heart-felt story? Am I being too harsh? Is there something I've missed? I do wonder about other people's reactions to these sort of videos so reply down below.

No Exit

Hit and Run attack!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I typically end up unsubscribing to YTers that whine too much about money and things. I just hate how they interrupt their content to beg or try to pretend they're being coy about the whole thing.

I don't mind the ones that have patreon but almost never talk about it. I consider throwing some bucks their way to support the content and they're not trying to panhandle for it. Them not begging just makes me have a bit more respect for them I guess.
Still never donated to one before though.

Exigent Circumcisions

heads before beds
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I typically end up unsubscribing to YTers that whine too much about money and things. I just hate how they interrupt their content to beg or try to pretend they're being coy about the whole thing.

I don't mind the ones that have patreon but almost never talk about it. I consider throwing some bucks their way to support the content and they're not trying to panhandle for it. Them not begging just makes me have a bit more respect for them I guess.
Still never donated to one before though.
I've been mulling over signing up for Jim Can't Swim's patreon lately: he has really good content and for a buck a month I wouldn't mind seeing what he's got behind his pay wall. Other than that I can't think of another tuber who I'd give a dime to.

Lemmingwise

They're always yapping
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Youtubers need a holocaust. Remember the 6 million lost view count. They can play victim for money for decades to come. Cough Cough. I'm sick. My dog needs a new lung. SJWs destroyed! Defeating alt right with Logic and Facts! Oy vey, remember the censorship! It's all a grift and it is all a grift because you like it that way.

Don't lie and say youtube isn't better than TV, or else you would be playing TV while you do things. You like having people drone on about their boring lives. That's why you're reading this comment too, it's just another bee buzzing, meaningless drivel lost in a swarm of meaningless drivel. But we are bees that crave to hear that buzzing.

To get back to the point; of course you sympathise. If they hadn't managed to pull your heartstrings, you wouldn't be thinking/posting about it. Even marketing for them. All broadcast is in the business of essentially playing people's emotions. And it works. Even people that reject it end up being its servant, like how you're doing the marketing of a couple of channels for them.

So yes, they should play your heartstrings. That's their instrument of choice. Give em some money. Buy a tshirt and a mug. Be an individual!

Don't forget to subscribe and exit through the gift shop.

Last edited:

Sperghetti

#waxmymeatballs
kiwifarms.net
First of all, trying to guilt people with a sob story into giving you more money (or any money at all) for anything is tacky.

When it comes to internet content specifically, I have an inherent issue with the whole “please support me so I can continue to produce content” schtick, when all they’re doing is something that many other people do in their spare time and distribute for free.

Now I understand needing money when you’re doing something that consumes actual resources, like running the servers that host the thing you’re offering. But when you’re just doing something like filming yourself on equipment you already have and uploading it to somebody else’s site, I don’t think you are owed compensation for it. I mean, it’s nice that people like you enough that they are willing to pay for what you’re making even though they don’t technically have to, but you’re certainly not owed anything.

I also don’t feel too bad for YouTubers specifically, because there was no way that was ever going to be a long-term sustainable form of income. A good way to advertise or a stepping-stone on the way to other things, maybe, but there’s no way an internet platform like that was going to provide you constant, steady income for the next 20+ years.

CivilianOfTheFandomWars

Do you feel in charge?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Fuck no I don't feel sympathy for them, even if I do enjoy their "content". Youtube should be a hobby, not a profession. Nobody pays me to white-noise post on hate sites while I play the guitar badly.
Here’s how to fix that.
Claim some of those sweet disability tardbucks and use you’re presence here as proof you are worthy of them.

TerribleIdeas™

Master of Cunt-Puppets
kiwifarms.net
Youtubers need a holocaust. Remember the 6 million lost view count. They can play victim for money for decades to come. Cough Cough. I'm sick. My dog needs a new lung. SJWs destroyed! Defeating alt right with Logic and Facts! Oy vey, remember the censorship! It's all a grift and it is all a grift because you like it that way.

Don't lie and say youtube isn't better than TV, or else you would be playing TV while you do things. You like having people drone on about their boring lives. That's why you're reading this comment too, it's just another bee buzzing, meaningless drivel lost in a swarm of meaningless drivel.

To get back to the point; of course you sympathise. If they hadn't managed to pull your heartstrings, you wouldn't be thinking/posting about it. Even marketing for them. All broadcast is in the business of essentially playing people's emotions. And it works. Even people that reject it end up being its servant, like how you're doing the marketing of a couple of channels for them.

So yes, they should play your heartstrings. That's their instrument of choice. Give em some money. Buy a tshirt and a mug. Be an individual!

I can fap to your mindless buzzing, too.

Jewthulhu

A Rare Deepwater Jew
kiwifarms.net
Could you imagine if halfway through a televised talk show the host starts begging the viewers to give the show a good rating and donate to the network? I know part of the point of online video content is to be able to interact directly with your audience, but audience interaction shouldn't take the form of begging for money and asspats.

And hit that bell button, it really helps me out.

Kuchipatchi

Ah, I love summer!
kiwifarms.net
Just been reading the replies so far and I thought I was being harsh but I guess I got out-ranked. XD

That's a good point. I don't have a negative opinion on the channels I've used as examples but their actions have caused me to think about them and get irate with their pity videos. But that also applies to those that talk negatively about YTers such as this one YTer I won't name, people hate-watch him because he says bad things about his wife and that he'll cheat on her if he had the chance. Obviously, people will get hate-boners for him and gave him the numbers he wants by commenting below calling him a douche (why he said the statements in the first place). I think that type of behaviour is absolutely dumb but normies don't know how the internet works and YTers prey on that. :/

Woah dood :stress:who knew basing your livelihood, life, and personality around something that could literally be ended because all mighty Susan thinks you arent marketable or your """fans""" get bored of you after they turn 18 might result in you begging for money.
It's not 2013 (or whatever year was the boom in the YT Ad partnership) so you can't say nigger and just get age-restricted anymore. I miss those days when YTers were happier and had better income. Now it's a minefield and YTers talk about it all the damn time. -_- All because companies don't know how YT ads work and that one person who reported to companies of their ads on paedo videos.
That's one legit complaint I agree with as it was more stable back then though the bad normie channels abused the fuck out of ads but at least they were for everyone and not just family-friendly channels.

SmileyTimeDayCare

This is pleasure!
kiwifarms.net
I find that there is a direct correlation between quality of content and a lack of whining for scraps.

I've stopped paying attention to a lot of people because they started opening videos with an ebeg.

I don't care if they shill their patreon or put an image of their links at the end or in the intro but ffs don't beg.