You've been targeted by cancel culture. - What will you do?

Megaroad 2012

What if I said, "Which nigger took the last donut?
kiwifarms.net
Everythings going great. Your career is stable, your social circle is tight and cool, maybe you got a bangin' wife or husband as well.

Suddenly, you say something uncouth or something you wrote a decade ago when you're a teen is unearthed and suddenly troons, loons and leg beards come out of the wood work and create their cute little hashtag to try and cancel you.

So far though, it's just a small minority but what do you do before it somehow hypothetically explodes?

This is something that crosses my mind a lot whenever I see peoples careers derailed over nothing. I've said my fair share of stupid and regretable shit in the 20 some years of using the internet, but to these zombies it doesn't matter if you were a dumb edgelord 12 year old and has since matured because they're emotionally and mentally stunted people who can't fathom that people change.

So the question is, if cancel culture is coming for you, what would you do? The sin you commited was maybe you dropped the n-bomb on twitter in 2009 despite being a pastey white dork or made a joke at the expense of another group. Mundane shit. Kevin Spacey's need not apply.

Personally, I figured I'd either

a.) Ignore it rather than say anything, especially if it's a nothing burger. Giving the issue and the mob attention would just give them that sweet endorphine rush they crave so better to starve them off for two weeks until they move on to the next shiney object.

or

b.) acknowledge it but don't apologize. I'd resort to this if something did gain attention and it had to be acknowledged. Example: "Yup, I said 'stop being jewish' back on a obscure forum in 2003. Oh well, that was dumb, life goes on."

I do find this one tough though, especially if you're a nice person. To any rational human being, if someone once acted a jackass manned up and admitted they were being a jackass and felt bad, then usually it'd be water under the bridge. Unfortunately, saying sorry now a days seems to give cancel warriors carte blanch to try and run your life.

Autumnal Equinox

Sing or I'll go home and kill all your mommies
kiwifarms.net
If it's just a group of autistic faggots sperging online about me, I'd ignore it. They're hoping to get my attention, why give them what they want?

If they start harassing my job and trying to get me fired, I still ignore it unless something actually happens to cause my termination, but I start saving extra money in case something actually does happen. Then I lawyer up.

If some are bold enough to harass and threaten my family or friends, I let them know that I own guns and if I see them on my property or on my family's property, I will consider them a threat and act accordingly.

Stuck in Corners

Yonkers
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If some are bold enough to harass and threaten my family or friends, I let them know that I own guns and if I see them on my property or on my family's property, I will consider them a threat and act accordingly.
Depending on the state you live in, they'll probably take advantage of the red flag laws and have the cops take them away. Announcing that you have guns will give them a way to counteract.

Xolanite

Too busy having nightmares at 4 AM
kiwifarms.net
Assuming I acquire secure finances, should this occur, I’ll cash out my internet money and invest in a new persona. Also, I’ll laugh all the way as they censor and intentionally misspell my name, because I’m their Hitler of the Week.

Syaoran Li

Totally Radical Dude
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd refuse to apologize to them and refuse to back down no matter what.

If it's just woke tards insulting me online, I'll just ignore them and eventually they'll find a new target to "cancel". It's never a good idea to feed the trolls.

If they try harassment of me in real life or threaten to get me fired from a job or banned from a specific place over false accusations, then I will tell them to fuck off and I'll be sure to save up money just in case they do drop the hammer and I have to lawyer up.

If they start making direct threats to me or my loved ones, I have a gun just in case the absolute worst-case scenario happens (and I pray that it would never come to that) but I won't tell them that I'm armed or even imply it. What I will tell them is that if they try to threaten me or anyone close to me, or if they're trespassing on my property, I will call the police and I will press charges against them and anyone else involved.

• Agree
Reactions: Bob's Fries

The Last Stand

13 - Joan Crawford Special
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If they start harassing my job and trying to get me fired, I still ignore it unless something actually happens to cause my termination, but I start saving extra money in case something actually does happen. Then I lawyer up.
If they try harassment of me in real life or threaten to get me fired from a job or banned from a specific place over false accusations, then I will tell them to fuck off and I'll be sure to save up money just in case they do drop the hammer and I have to lawyer up.
I find it sad that we've reached a point where even the slightest offensive thing somebody finds online, even from YEARS ago, context or time be damned, people would chastise you and try to ruin your life. You shouldn't have to lawyer up because somebody found a few mean words on the Internet.

Not to mention the legal fees and time spent on said case. Even if you do win, you'd still have potential backlash and harassment from randoms. Why are we such a judgmental society? Time doing that would be better spent contributing to make society better or against legitimate pieces of shit that exist out there. Not to mention not everybody CAN afford a legal team, you know how lawyers can be.

If something like this happened to me, I don't know how I'd handle finding a good lawyer. Honestly, I'd just be out of sight out of mind.

Syaoran Li

Totally Radical Dude
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I find it sad that we've reached a point where even the slightest offensive thing somebody finds online, even from YEARS ago, context or time be damned, people would chastise you and try to ruin your life. You shouldn't have to lawyer up because somebody found a few mean words on the Internet.

Not to mention the legal fees and time spent on said case. Even if you do win, you'd still have potential backlash and harassment from randoms. Why are we such a judgmental society? Time doing that would be better spent contributing to make society better or against legitimate pieces of shit that exist out there. Not to mention not everybody CAN afford a legal team, you know how lawyers can be.

If something like this happened to me, I don't know how I'd handle finding a good lawyer. Honestly, I'd just be out of sight out of mind.
Agreed, and "Out of sight, Out of Mind" combined with "Don't Feed The Trolls" is the best tactic against cancel culture when's confined to online drama.

Having to actually spend money on a lawyer should only be for when shit starts to hit the fan and suddenly some random off-color joke you tweeted years ago or posted on some old forum are causing you actual difficulties in the real world such as financial insecurity or full-on targeted harassment.

Marco Fucko

Read Terra Formars 😁
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If I got fired from some gay ass corporation I'd sue them for wrongful termination and let them settle me. Chances are I haven't done anything because I don't interact with people, so I'd force them to show their hand in court. I would then become a professional gambler using that settlement money.

If I'm a le public figure and social media spergs are bugging me I'd probably just ignore it. If it came up in an interview I'd be like "oh yeah I made that crass joke, yeah that was me", and they would be like "don't you think that's inappropriate", and I'd be like "that's the joke you fucking smoothbrain".

Marissa Moira

kiwifarms.net
If it's just a group of autistic faggots sperging online about me, I'd ignore it. They're hoping to get my attention, why give them what they want?

At his point if they started doing that I'd get anxious and lawyer up beforehand.

Because you'd be dealing with people who have loads of free time and have far more man hours dedicated towards you than you do for yourself.

Tags
None