Zac Bertschy killed himself - rerelease Kodomo no Jikan

• Trump is threatening to repeal Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act to spite Twitter and I am tracking competing efforts to edit legislation here.
    P.S. A source of my income was removed by payment networks recently. If you'd like to donate crypto, my addresses are here.

feral cat #6385

Practiced Social Distancing before it was cool.
kiwifarms.net
So did his fur babies eat his face off or nah?
That would depend on how long he was dead for before the body was discovered. Anymore than a day, definitely. Cats are kind of assholes about eating their owners. Dogs will wait longer and eat the feet and legs first, in case their owner becomes not dead. Not cats tho. They go right for the face.

Eugene90

kiwifarms.net

Garm

kiwifarms.net
Do you think part of his issue was guilt over #KickVic? That deep down inside he knew had done wrong but could never admit it and that kind of ate away at him inside?
That would require a level of self awareness that KV members are unable to attain. There might be something of a conscious inside him that would bug him over the Vic stuff but odds are it was speaking in alien tongues.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
That would require a level of self awareness that KV members are unable to attain. There might be something of a conscious inside him that would bug him over the Vic stuff but odds are it was speaking in alien tongues.
You are more than likely correct but one can't help but wonder.

Either way I'm sure all the hoopla surrounding #KickVic did not do the guy's mental health any favors.

OneHandClapping

Equal Right Hooks
kiwifarms.net
That would depend on how long he was dead for before the body was discovered. Anymore than a day, definitely. Cats are kind of assholes about eating their owners. Dogs will wait longer and eat the feet and legs first, in case their owner becomes not dead. Not cats tho. They go right for the face.
How do you know...?

Never mind. Don't tell me.

Captain Manning

He's on par with Santa Claus and has six locks!
kiwifarms.net
I can't really dance on his grave. Even if he did it to TB, I really want to be the better man here. I'll go ahead attach my thoughts I shared in Hope's thread.

Basically, I genuinely desire he finds peace in the afterlife (if there is one). He was flawed, but was by no means the worst of the ANN crew. I think Hope is way fucking worse, and I am absolutely certain that thing played a big role in his depression. Fuck Hope. This is not the first man they have fucked over. Just ask LordKat.

He was a dick, but the news brings me no pleasure.

If you've listened to enough ANNCast episodes, as I have, it becomes apparent Hope wore the pants in that relationship, and probably talked him into a fair amount of stupid bullshit. Hope, way more than he, was the one that always took anime reviews into discussions about how "problematic" things in anime are. I think he was probably completely lost when Hope left him.

Basically, Hope is way worse than he was.

I'd like to think ANN would feel uncomfortable and dump Hope, since Zac got them the gig in the first place, but we all know that's not gonna happen.

It's a pity LordKat isn't on the Farms anymore. He hates Hope and would probably have a good take here.

feral cat #6385

Practiced Social Distancing before it was cool.
kiwifarms.net
How do you know...?

Never mind. Don't tell me.
My cat is a huge jerk who wakes me up at either 6 AM or 7 AM depending on the time of year for breakfast. He gets very excited for breakfast. One minute he will be laying there in loaf mode, then he will get up, stretch and immediately start pawing and meowing at me to be fed. So in order to do risk assessment I looked it up. He also gets mad if I stay out too late or go to bed too late.

Dom Cruise

kiwifarms.net
I'd also like to reiterate my thoughts in Hope's thread that while I'm sure Hope was a big part of his downfall, I think it was also just the SJW culture of the 2010s in general, which as someone in Hope's thread pointed out by design wants you to feel worthless and hate yourself if you're a white male.

This guy drank too much of that Kool Aid and I'm sure it's a big factor in what did him in, which is a chilling thought, I think of Winston Smith at the end of 1984 after he was finally broken by Big Brother, but he was at least still alive.

5t3n0g0ph3r

Resident Archivist
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What was that about someone who died from cancer?
See TotalBiscuit's thread:

I Love Beef

Bell peppers and bee- HEY WAIT A SEC WHERE'S THE B
kiwifarms.net
Guess this was bound to happen. These are some highlights from his Answerman column about Kodomo no Jikan back in 2007 that really sent him over the edge
View attachment 1312908

View attachment 1312916

View attachment 1312932

View attachment 1312935

View attachment 1312936
Kind of feel bad about him killing himself knowing he hated pedos, but that happened 13 years ago. I have a feeling his opinions may of changed since he became a champion of the LGBTQAAIP2S+ community.
If there's anything Zac gave vibes to me at this time, it was that he was deep down angry that Japan wasn't making things for him to posture and consume anymore to feel cool with. I can sympathize at the grief of seeing the times go by and things change, but at the same time, reality is a tough bitch, and whether you can deal with what's presented to you is what decides who is a man and who is a gall-less coward. It also doesn't help that, while this may be high of a standard to place, the anime community out west had since 1989 to try and make anime shit of their own. In comparison, Osamu Tezuka started the first breakthrough anime and manga of Astro Boy in 1952, which then blew the fuck up into the 1960s. Again, industries don't run on sensation and fluff, they run on content and production. If Zac really cared about the direction where anime was going, he'd try to use his talents, stop hating himself, and establish an American way of doing anime. Instead, all he did was piss and moan and try to ride off the coattails of Chris Hansen and To Catch a Predator in possibly the worst anime knockoff attempt at moonlogic waterbrain weeaboo entertainment by trying to use his news website like CNN and Fox News as a poorly disguised mouthpiece.

I'll keep bringing it back up too, but being a fan and a critic does not guarantee you a spot on society's upper ranks for people to suck your dick over. Critics like Roger Ebert got big because he also went to college and got a major and studied in his own time about what makes good movies and dissected them like how a marine biologist will get wet or rock hard over the chance of cutting open a humpback whale or newly found abyssal zone deep existent specimen to study their biology. Zac, like Linkara and Doug Walker, never studied anything else other than what was in the mainstream and was touted by popular opinion. I also blame people like Zac and his shitsucking Orange County denizen bedfellow Sean O'Mara for helping to start the hipster trend, because it's nice to see that posturing self hating assholes who like things ironically are soon lost up their own ass of humblebragging self depreciation, and that Zac couldn't get a piece of that because how Japan turned to shows with cute anime girls at a time when the economy was about to shit its fucking pants in the Great Recession. Great priorities there, Zac.

And then we get to Kodomo no Jikan. You know what Zac did when he heard of it? He didn't even bother opening the front page. He just outright called it pedophile bait. Great fucking critique there, asshole. I am all against pedophilia, but it's another thing to constantly talk and be a raging zealot of a crusader against it all the fucking time, or irrationally blow up when it rears its head and do such lazy things like not review it. Hell, he even talked about Kodomo like if every page of it was hard on teacher on student CP action. Is it extremely touchy in terms of content? Fuck yeah it is. Is it full on hardcore pedophilia on every page? Then why did Seven Seas License it? It's not like they opened it up, proofread the series to ensure there is no ugly as sin proof of rape and underage B&, right? I haven't even read the fucking series myself, but I've hear discourse about it and its story themes. Shit like child neglect and child sex abuse. Shit like how if children are exposed to sexual matters before their coming of age, they will misconstrue and misinterpret very basic facts about sex. Oh, and it was written by a woman. For fuck's sake ANN, I did more work and brainpower than Zac ever did in his shitty hedonistic office chair of a delusional golden throne, and I can come to the conclusion that even if Zac were to do everything I said, he'd still fuck it up because he'd suck the dick of the FCC and other moral majority fags as soon as they'd come to his door, because anime got where it is for doing everything "freedom of expression" pussies out as soon as it faces it, not be under spineless faggots like him.

In the long run, the only thing Zac and his fuckbuddies ever cared about was hoping everyday they'd get their dicks sucked for being "tasteful" fans and that Japan would forever be in the late 1980s and produce nothing but shit for them and themselves while they just sat around and did jack fucking shit. It was pure escapism, and he wasn't even honest about that or his fucked up life. Sure, not accepting and being strongly against pedophilia, that's alright, but it's another to constantly go on crusades about it. Fuckheads with an agenda should always be looked at twice, because as much as a stand is a valiant cause, the road to hell is paved with good intentions, and some people will simply stand only for themselves and their own gain and will possibly fuck over anyone who gets in their way. And as much as there are people grieving and feeling bad, and as much as I wanted to respect his space, all he ever did was fucking stupid dumb shit and influence other anime fans to be as bigoted and fatheaded of an ugly manlet simp nerd like he was. I don't even care if he had a shitty childhood or emotional baggage, MANY people do, and it's not an excuse to use your pain to be a fucking sadist on others with. That's how I remember Zac. Maybe he should have been a good person to be treated as one. At least Shinji got into the fucking robot and always came back from the subway station.

I'm I Love Beef. I write long essays about why some people are horrible and that they are not without due for their actions. I also write scathing eulogies about how fucking stupid some people were in life if they were that awful. I take back nothing, because about as much as I respect the grievance of those who mourn, this was something caused by himself, and I got to see how ugly he was in life. Good night.

BlueSpark

kiwifarms.net
Cats are kind of assholes about eating their owners. Dogs will wait longer and eat the feet and legs first, in case their owner becomes not dead. Not cats tho. They go right for the face.
I've heard that that's an instinctive behaviour of cats and it's partly to protect their environment from predators who would be attracted by the rotting meat. They do the same if one of their kittens dies: they try to eat it or bury the body if it's too large to eat.

Captain Manning

kiwifarms.net
I don't even care if he had a shitty childhood or emotional baggage, MANY people do, and it's not an excuse to use your pain to be a fucking sadist on others with. That's how I remember Zac. Maybe he should have been a good person to be treated as one. At least Shinji got into the fucking robot and always came back from the subway station.
The main reason I feel uncomfortable with shitting on him too much is Hope, and the really horrific situation he must have went through. Hope was a major negative on Zac's life.

I can't fucking imagine falling in love with a girl, getting her a job where you work, and then watching her troon the fuck out and then ultimately dump you when you can't advance them anymore. I have frequently experienced severe depression and loss, but not anything quite like that. I have no frame of reference here. That's why I can't agree with your "many people do" comment. I don't think many people quite experience the circumstances he did. Or, at least I hope not. This isn't even your "typical" breakup suicide.

Obviously the dude was fighting serious fucking issues after that clusterfuck, and he lost the biggest battle of all. I get no joy from that.

I dunno. I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt as much as possible. It's just my nature. People are ultimately responsible for their actions. That much is true. However, I think Zac may have ended up a very different person if he never hooked up with Hope. He had a few positive qualities shine through, despite his overall dickish disposition.

As I said in the Keem/H3H3 thread, I don't blame Internet people for suicide. IRL is a bit different though. It gets way more murky. Hope was undoubtedly a major factor in his decision to end his life. Because this was IRL, I can't say she doesn't have a body count.

Again, fuck Hope. Arguably the biggest cunt at ANN, and that says a lot. I'd trade Hope's life for Zac. No question.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Obviously the dude was fighting serious fucking issues after that clusterfuck, and he lost the biggest battle of all. I get no joy from that.
Gravedancing is pure edgelordery. Or maybe not always but someone has to really deserve it a lot more than this clown. Would he have ever gotten better or improved himself? Maybe, and we'll never know. When someone dies like this all potential is permanently foreclosed. That's not something to celebrate for the vast majority of even bad people.

Ivan Shatov

Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
kiwifarms.net
The main reason I feel uncomfortable with shitting on him too much is Hope, and the really horrific situation he must have went through. Hope was a major negative on Zac's life.

I can't fucking imagine falling in love with a girl, getting her a job where you work, and then watching her troon the fuck out and then ultimately dump you when you can't advance them anymore. I have frequently experienced severe depression and loss, but not anything quite like that. I have no frame of reference here. That's why I can't agree with your "many people do" comment. I don't think many people quite experience the circumstances he did. Or, at least I hope not. This isn't even your "typical" breakup suicide.

I dunno. I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt as much as possible. It's just my nature. People are ultimately responsible for their actions. That much is true. However, I think Zac may have ended up a very different person if he never hooked up with Hope. He had a few positive qualities shine through, despite his overall dickish disposition.

As I said in the Keem/H3H3 thread, I don't blame Internet people for suicide. IRL is a bit different though. It gets way more murky. Hope was undoubtedly a major factor in his decision to end his life. Because this was IRL, I can't say she doesn't have a body count.

Again, fuck Hope. Arguably the biggest cunt at ANN, and that says a lot. I'd trade Hope's life for Zac. No question.
No good reason to dance on his grave.

This guy did a lot of things for attention and hurt others in the process. Giving him more makes little sense, maybe put him on a chart with the other SJWs.

'Enemies' of mine have off themselves before. There's always an initiating event: drugs, health, public career destruction. Feels like this one would have left a note.

Captain Manning

kiwifarms.net
Zac was a straight man pretending to be queer for attention.
I would almost just accept that assertion wholesale if not for the fact Hope was female when he met her.

Again, that's kinda a weird situation I can't really speak to. Do you stop loving somebody of the opposite sex if they transition into your own sex? For a lot of people, relationships are more than skin deep. Did he still regard her as female, in his own mind, even if the rest of society is held at gunpoint to regard her as a man? I dunno. Maybe holding himself out as gay or bi was a coping mechanism for that weird situation. He certainly could never openly say he still regarded Hope as the female he originally knew. Also, some of his comments about homosexuality were just bizarre. Like he was trying way too hard.

This whole transgender thing is just fucking ridiculous. It's a mental illness people.

Do you think part of his issue was guilt over #KickVic? That deep down inside he knew he had done wrong but could never admit it and that kind of ate away at him inside?
No. He went off the deep end when Hope left him. That much is clear. He was pretty silent about #KickVic, IIRC. The main ANN speds spewing their shit about it on Twitter were people like Sevakis, Toole, MacDonald, etc.

I Love Beef

Bell peppers and bee- HEY WAIT A SEC WHERE'S THE B
kiwifarms.net

I've gone around and lurked in my fair share of time. Zac was said to have been verbally abused to shit by his dad in his teenage years, and I wouldn't doubt mid-1990s OC California was still a silver spoon shitstain after the Spurs Posse incident as he was technically in high school at that time. What doesn't help was the stories about him in university and SomethingAwful as TheSwami and his overall attitude in life after these things. I also believe that being a film critic as a major lifestyle choice has proven to also be a factor into how Zac turned out after 2000, but not entirely its own fault. A job like that requires you to be critical at at times scathing to tell people and communicate how and why something is bad, but as I've stated, there's a difference between analysis, criticism, scrutiny, and being outright an asshole. Being an asshole is not being a critic, which I am very sure Zac got his impressions going into that career path hoping to do, and as we can tell, it didn't go over so well. It also doesn't help that if your background includes getting yelled at for a majority of your youth, that's probably going to thin your boundaries of saying the right things when you need to be critical and rational at the same time without resorting to insults and passionate basis, and that you're going to need professional help to overcome that.

It's one thing to be a victim. It's another to think to use your victim complex as means to be a total shithead and excuse yourself from all of the purposefully wrong and dare I say evil things you could commit to. When you become the abuser and the bully, that's where you've fucked up in life. I think that's where my criterion for judgement is aimed at, to be honest. I too would hope he would get help after hearing this, but after all of the shit he's pulled and done, it's very hard to respect, let alone forgive him for this. He had choices. He made them. He had to live with them. Now, he has to be buried with them. I didn't ask for this. But, this is life. It's probably just me too, but this was his fault, and I could tell that he knew it. And as much as he possibly took his own life, which is awful, and had a lot of good things to share with the world as with all people, he chose to do a lot of bad things, which is, again, how I will remember him by.

I do agree that the whole extreme SJW gay moral agenda and Hope Chapman was the cause for his mental breakdown too. At the same time, it's kinda his own fault for keeping around someone absolutely amoral and atrocious to be around. Outside of my own bias, if a woman breaks away from a healthy relationship by doing something extremely morally wrong if the guy wasn't a complete abuser and sociopath, and you get together with her, you're gonna have a bad time whether you know it or not. I will anticipate her eventual tarring, feathering, and burning at the stake however.