Horrorcow Zoe Quinn / Chelsea Van Valkenburg / Locke Valentine / @UnburntWitch / @Primeape / CrashOverride / Hat Box / Old Uncle Anime - Con Artist, Abuser, Sexual Harasser, Drove Alec Holowka to Suicide.

Henry Bemis

Irony: Not even once.
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
How common is it for any studio, big or small, to option rights (or at least make this much hoopla) for a property that, for all intents and purposes, doesn't exist yet?

What happens then if the book - if it ever gets finished - flops? The studio just drops it and everyone involved hopes no one brings it up again? With a shitshow like GG, that ain't gonna happen.

(Silly me, expecting that a movie studio grasping the Internet is the rule, rather than the exception.)

Cosmos

Soldier of Love and Bitching on the Internet
Local Moderator
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
How common is it for any studio, big or small, to option rights (or at least make this much hoopla) for a property that, for all intents and purposes, doesn't exist yet?

What happens then if the book - if it ever gets finished - flops? The studio just drops it and everyone involved hopes no one brings it up again? With a shitshow like GG, that ain't gonna happen.

(Silly me, expecting that a movie studio grasping the Internet is the rule, rather than the exception.)

It's actually happened before; the example that comes to mind is Jurassic Park. From Wikipedia:

Before Crichton's novel was published, four studios put in bids for the film rights. With the backing of Universal Studios, Spielberg acquired the rights for $1.5 million before publication in 1990; Crichton was hired for an additional $500,000 to adapt the novel for the screen.

But then again, it doesn't actually say how far along Michael Crichton was in writing Jurassic Park. It could have even been finished, just not published yet. So I'm not sure how common it is to buy a property that doesn't technically exist yet. If it has happened, I'm assuming that the non-existent property was created by someone who already has a great track record for producing hits.

AnOminous

shalom motherfucker
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net

It's pretty common to option shit that has very little chance of ever being made. Generally it is for not that much (in Hollywood money) and there isn't much said about it.

MiloWuCollusion

kiwifarms.net

Common as hell.

Derbydollar

A Bunny Person
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Can't wait to see how this turns out. Wonder how good the death threats will be? I've heard that Quinn and friends are quite good at making those up :epik:
Maybe it'll be a slasher film that ends with Commander Stryker :jace: getting a headshot assassination? One can dream, I guess...

Media presence will be the death for Zoe Quinn and the rest of them. When you see and hear them all the time, you start to scrutinize more.

ChuckSlaughter

You mean I got about 200 bitcoins
kiwifarms.net
It happens all the time. They'll option shit for 5 years and never go anywhere with it.

I'm sure they'll switch this up... i heard that in pursuit of happiness will smith's character never slept in a subway bathroom with his kid. Ruined the whole movie for me to hear that... Will smith is poor... gets better job.

AnOminous

shalom motherfucker
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
I mean shit, if they made two smurf movies it's not suprising that somebody would wanna make a movie about a massive attention whore that makes a living by not having a spine.

A talentless slut who only has a career because of hopping on every dick that comes by is too close to what Hollywood is like in reality for them to want to make a movie about it.