Dragon Ball Thread - Includes Z and Super (and GT if you really want to talk about that); also includes Abridged

• The site is having difficulties because our bandwidth is totally overextended. Our 1Gbps line is at 100% even when there aren't 8000 people on the site. We were supposed to get a second Gbps line months ago but I'm struggling to get technicians scheduled to set it up.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think Super fucks with a lot of American fans’s view of Goku because the translation and dub of DBZ pushed a lot more of his more “selfless protector of Earth” more than the original did. The bits were still there(letting Freiza live originally, not immediately coming back afterwards, only coming back for a day because of a tournament, ect), just frames a bit different. Hell, the series ended with “hey, I’m gonna go off to a random island into the middle of nowhere so I can train the reincarnated soul of my greatest opponent so he’s a good fight for me! Bye family and friends including granddaughter that’s super attached to me!”

Super just stared showing the more negative consequences.

UnclePhil

Concern dismissals all around.
kiwifarms.net
I think Super fucks with a lot of American fans’s view of Goku because the translation and dub of DBZ pushed a lot more of his more “selfless protector of Earth” more than the original did. The bits were still there(letting Freiza live originally, not immediately coming back afterwards, only coming back for a day because of a tournament, ect), just frames a bit different. Hell, the series ended with “hey, I’m gonna go off to a random island into the middle of nowhere so I can train the reincarnated soul of my greatest opponent so he’s a good fight for me! Bye family and friends including granddaughter that’s super attached to me!”

Super just stared showing the more negative consequences.

Even in the old, bad FUNimation dub we still had evidence he was kind of a boor. I think the part where he threw Cell the Senzu was everyone's "What the fuck?" loss of innocence.

X-Shaped Weeaboo

Not another anime avatar!
kiwifarms.net
I wish this thread had more activity as there's been a lot to talk about since the TOP took off but meh, what are you gonna do?

I hope this rematch is as strong as the first match. Super has had some extremely fun moments but the series is feeling rushed and fatigued by it's tight schedule and I have a hard time imagining it completely living up to the hype.

m0rnutz

Not a furry
kiwifarms.net
I wish this thread had more activity as there's been a lot to talk about since the TOP took off but meh, what are you gonna do?

I hope this rematch is as strong as the first match. Super has had some extremely fun moments but the series is feeling rushed and fatigued by it's tight schedule and I have a hard time imagining it completely living up to the hype.
There is talk that after TOP, this will be the end of Super. We haven't gotten a clear answer as to whether or not it will continue after a seasonal hiatus or if this is truly the end entirely, but these next few episodes will conclude the arc.

Goku will achieve Mastered Ultra Instinct, putting him on the level of a god, so there's really no way you can top that without a complete retcon reboot. And even then this just says "fuck you" to the last DBZ episode.

X-Shaped Weeaboo

kiwifarms.net
The anime hasn’t been perfect, but I have really liked what they’ve done with some of the characters. Vegeta’s development in particular has been amazing.

Also #17 for MVP of the Tournament.

There's a lot of good stuff for many characters here that didn't destroy their history.

Piccolo took out several incredibly strong/tricky fighters, contributed to much of the strategy of the tournament, and even got to reconnect with his Namekian pride before being defeated by a slight of hand, something that's routinely happened to him in the series. (Cell sneaking up on him in his fight with 17, Freeza's hidden transformation, Goku's spontaneous mastery of the flight technique.)

Gohan finally got a victory that felt appropriate to his character. I know people were begging for a return to SS2 Teen Gohan but honestly, I liked his sacrifice much more than anything he's ever done. It felt very honest. Gohan used his wits, his determination, and his willingness to sacrifice himself to defeat an opponent with abilities that would be difficult to take on conventionally. Gohan's not a character I want to power through his fights because him being smart is one of his defining traits, and I'm glad that we finally get a demonstration of where that can be a strength rather than the weakness the rest of Super treated it as being.

Master Roshi got a very heartwarming and surprising send off that really rounded out a character that is dear to the fandom. I'm beyond impressed.

Android #18 demonstrated an amazing combination of cold cunning and precision in each of her eliminations and, as smart and on her feet as she is, probably would have gotten as far as #17 had if she were in a situation where she didn't have to sacrifice herself. This arc also got her to emote more, which is rare for her and always a treat, especially in regards to her relationship with Krillin. It's good stuff.

Vegeta...hoo boy I don't even have the words. And the same can be said for #17, full stop.

Honestly, while they dropped the ball with characters such as Krillin, Tenshinhan, Cabba, and a couple others they really did some good things with these characters.

I'll say this much: The fact that fans were tossing the "MVP" Ball between many different characters as the tournament went on says that, no matter what you think of Super, they ended up doing something right.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
There's a lot of good stuff for many characters here that didn't destroy their history.

Piccolo took out several incredibly strong/tricky fighters, contributed to much of the strategy of the tournament, and even got to reconnect with his Namekian pride before being defeated by a slight of hand, something that's routinely happened to him in the series. (Cell sneaking up on him in his fight with 17, Freeza's hidden transformation, Goku's spontaneous mastery of the flight technique.)

Gohan finally got a victory that felt appropriate to his character. I know people were begging for a return to SS2 Teen Gohan but honestly, I liked his sacrifice much more than anything he's ever done. It felt very honest. Gohan used his wits, his determination, and his willingness to sacrifice himself to defeat an opponent with abilities that would be difficult to take on conventionally. Gohan's not a character I want to power through his fights because him being smart is one of his defining traits, and I'm glad that we finally get a demonstration of where that can be a strength rather than the weakness the rest of Super treated it as being.

Master Roshi got a very heartwarming and surprising send off that really rounded out a character that is dear to the fandom. I'm beyond impressed.

Android #18 demonstrated an amazing combination of cold cunning and precision in each of her eliminations and, as smart and on her feet as she is, probably would have gotten as far as #17 had if she were in a situation where she didn't have to sacrifice herself. This arc also got her to emote more, which is rare for her and always a treat, especially in regards to her relationship with Krillin. It's good stuff.

Vegeta...hoo boy I don't even have the words. And the same can be said for #17, full stop.

Honestly, while they dropped the ball with characters such as Krillin, Tenshinhan, Cabba, and a couple others they really did some good things with these characters.

I'll say this much: The fact that fans were tossing the "MVP" Ball between many different characters as the tournament went on says that, no matter what you think of Super, they ended up doing something right.
Seeing Piccolo being a grandfather to Pan was fucking adorable as hell too.

CausticMinory

Meanie, fat guy, doesn't like nice guys.
kiwifarms.net
I'll also say this, I legitimately would enjoy if some of these characters from the tournament appeared in future games. And it was great seeing A. A Female Super Saiyan and B. Seeing said Super Saiyan as more than waifu bait. (Although the whole super powerful instant master thing was kinda meh.) I actually like that the villains also have motivations other than "I gotta destroy the earth and kill Goku!" like most of the villains in GT.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'll also say this, I legitimately would enjoy if some of these characters from the tournament appeared in future games. And it was great seeing A. A Female Super Saiyan and B. Seeing said Super Saiyan as more than waifu bait. (Although the whole super powerful instant master thing was kinda meh.) I actually like that the villains also have motivations other than "I gotta destroy the earth and kill Goku!" like most of the villains in GT.
Two female Super Saiyans, no less. One who managed to make a version of Broly canon.

aqua sama

nature's beauty
kiwifarms.net
they dragged this tournament for way too long.
it got old real fast. The lack of fierceness and violence in the fights, is also another thing that bothers me.
They made it too child friendly. I miss people beeing punched in violently in the guts and coffing blood.
Oh...and the Zenos are unsufferable in my opinion.
Also in yesterday's episode, part of the fight was the animation used in the opening, lol.

maybe it's better if this show ends now, before it becomes even more lame.

CausticMinory

kiwifarms.net
I mean compared to GT, I find myself wanting to play as most of the characters from the tournament arc. But I will agree this whole saga has been going on far too long. But it did give some characters other than the Saiyan to shine so I forgive them. I can't remember the last time I actually watched an episode and said "Wow! Master Roshi kicked major ass!" And it not be the original Dragonball. If they do a Kai version of Super I wonder how much fluff they cut from it too.

X-Shaped Weeaboo

kiwifarms.net
Didn't he get some good offense in the Metal Cooler movie?

Also I just got a torrent of the Speedy dubs of the movies, the best DBZ dub ever.

Nobody got anything good out of that movie, honestly. Meta Cooler basically fucked every character six ways to Sunday until it decided to end. Goku and Vegeta took hundreds of Meta Cooler's fists up their asses, Piccolo played babysitter and kept getting blown up, and the other characters kept getting dragged around by even the mooks.

Only Broly's first movie had the characters get beat as miserably but even then there was progression in the fight with Broly. Meta Cooler only died because he clutched the villian ball harder than anyone in the franchise.

aqua sama

nature's beauty
kiwifarms.net
episode 130 is probably the best thing out of this whole shitshow.
very decent art and animation and the fight was fast and even though not as brutal as what we were accustomed to with Z, It was still very enjoyable.
still, the series is mediocre at best and I'm not gonna miss it.

Zaryiu

kiwifarms.net
As i said in the chat, I finished watching Episode 131 of Dragon Ball Super, it was a much better ending than GT had, i'll watch the rest of the last arc before i say what i thought of Super anime, i'm going to get the Manga because i heard it's better and has different stuff than the BoG, Resurrection F and the Anime.
I'm relatively new to Dragon Ball (Started watching everything in 2015) so i think i'll be relatively not blinded by nostalgia in my opinions of those

X-Shaped Weeaboo

kiwifarms.net
I’m happy with who won the tournament, and overall I’d say Super was flawed but worth watching for the good parts.

Same, but I'm more optimistic about the series ever so slightly. I tend to find a lot of the issues brought up by most fans are actually quite trite and that they ignore some of the actual problems, but on the whole I fell in love with Dragon Ball all over again.

The last fight of the series was everything I've ever wanted in Dragon Ball. Genuinely had more hype watching that than anything from GT and most of Z.

CausticMinory

kiwifarms.net
Im glad it wasn't some bs of "Goku saves the day all by himself! Hooray Goku the best fighter ever" and I love that all the arcs had a pay off in the ending.

BoG saga showed us the God of destruction for the universe. RoF showed that Frieza is gonna be important in the series and that he wants to run his empire again. Future Trunks arc showed that some god's saw mortals as blight on the universe that are dumb and selfish if they ever got to a god's level. And the ToP showed the Gods not all mortals are selfish and they can think of the needs of the many and not the needs of one. Now to patiently wait for some of those characters to appear in DBFZ and Xenoverse 3.