The Windows OS Thread - Formerly THE OS for gamers and normies, now sadly ruined by Pajeets

???

International man (?) of mystery
kiwifarms.net
I think I have Windows 7 Home Pro edition. I'm unable to rename the folder in which Cortana is stored, or delete it. It says the folder is in use, even after I end the process via task manager and quickly click "Try again".

If I ever win the lottery and become a billionaire, I'm paying 5 reverse engineers and 5 systems programmers to work on ReactOS. Fuck you Microsoft and fuck your gay nigga operating system.

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
Microsoft has released the first developer preview of Windows 10X giving us our first proper look at Microsoft's new OS. Let's go hands-on and see what's new.

Jesus christ. This looks fucking awful. At least they remembered what depth was in the UI design? Sorta?

I thought they were gonna wait at LEAST 10 more years before dropping the mass incompatability bomb but nope!
There is literally no downside to running another OS now. They're gonna need to make WINE for fucking windows. :stress: :lol:

It's lacking in the GUI department but it seems like there's a big push for support for that. they're at a crossroads between either supporting Qt5 (which is still undergoing rapid change) or coming up with their own RUST-specific GUI libraries.
I hate Rust and I think it and it's ilk is cancer ruining pretty much every branch of computing but if they know what's good for them they'll make their own toolkit.
They're gonna go with QT.

..or! They manage to make something even fucking worse! ...somehow?
15GB of development libraries (MINIMUM) to make horrible browser apps is a pretty steep benchmark. How are they gonna fuck it harder? :story::popcorn:

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Vecr

OwO What's This?

𝑖𝑡'𝑠 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑝𝑜𝑟𝑛, ℎ𝑜𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Jesus christ. This looks fucking awful. At least they remembered what depth was in the UI design? Sorta?

I thought they were gonna wait at LEAST 10 more years before dropping the mass incompatability bomb but nope!
There is literally no downside to running another OS now. They're gonna need to make WINE for fucking windows. :stress: :lol:
uh it looks exactly like Windows 10 except they're showing off the new multi-screen features

the compatibility tech they're showing is stuff that they've already been doing for WSL1 except it won't have to make so many consolidations. It's practically instant. WINE and WSL both have to convert one completely different OS's kernel logic to its own, Windows 10X only has to convert the Win32 API to the UWP API, which still isn't the easiest thing, but it's a lot less difficult than what they've already accomplished. This looks completely seamless.

plus this OS probably isn't even going to be released within the next 3 years, this is a very early demo

• Informative
Reactions: אΩ+1

אΩ+1

The Aleph
kiwifarms.net
uh it looks exactly like Windows 10 except they're showing off the new multi-screen features

the compatibility tech they're showing is stuff that they've already been doing for WSL1 except it won't have to make so many consolidations. It's practically instant. WINE and WSL both have to convert one completely different OS's kernel logic to its own, Windows 10X only has to convert the Win32 API to the UWP API, which still isn't the easiest thing, but it's a lot less difficult than what they've already accomplished. This looks completely seamless.

plus this OS probably isn't even going to be released within the next 3 years, this is a very early demo
Considering the amount of physical dual screen hardware from Microsoft and OEMs this sounds like more than a concept like Microsoft Courier.

• Agree
Reactions: Coffee Shits

He Who Points And Laughs

Flavortown Refugee
kiwifarms.net
I think I have Windows 7 Home Pro edition. I'm unable to rename the folder in which Cortana is stored, or delete it. It says the folder is in use, even after I end the process via task manager and quickly click "Try again".

If I ever win the lottery and become a billionaire, I'm paying 5 reverse engineers and 5 systems programmers to work on ReactOS. Fuck you Microsoft and fuck your gay nigga operating system.
Have you tried editing the registry?

thx1138

Are you now, or have you ever been?
kiwifarms.net

I'm right there with you, we'd team up, but we'd have to hire 200 lawyers to protect you, me, and those 10 programmers from Microsoft, plus make all of them sign 25 year no-competes, iron-clad, 'cos if MS couldn't beat this fictional project in the courts they'd simply back a dumptruck full of money up to the houses of every team member and offer them jobs.

אΩ+1

The Aleph
kiwifarms.net
I'm right there with you, we'd team up, but we'd have to hire 200 lawyers to protect you, me, and those 10 programmers from Microsoft, plus make all of them sign 25 year no-competes, iron-clad, 'cos if MS couldn't beat this fictional project in the courts they'd simply back a dumptruck full of money up to the houses of every team member and offer them jobs.
I'm pretty sure according to the United States Supreme Court clean room reverse engineering is legal, and honestly once it's stable maybe it could be installed in embedded systems that are using legacy operating systems.

• Agree
Reactions: Pissmaster

???

International man (?) of mystery
kiwifarms.net
I'm pretty sure according to the United States Supreme Court clean room reverse engineering is legal, and honestly once it's stable maybe it could be installed in embedded systems that are using legacy operating systems.
Yep, reverse engineering is legal in the USA only if you do it clean-room style. I'd hire someone like nocash - the autistic antifa German emulator author - to write specs for as much Windows shit as he can in a year and with a $60,000 - $150,000 yearly base salary, depending on how fast and good he is.

edit

I'm pleased to report that USB tethering and wireless hotspot stopped working last night for my laptop! $50 for absolutely fucking nothing, thank you Microsoft!

edit 2

Actually I have Windows 10, not sure what edition. It shit the bed at 4:30 this morning and I can't access the internet via USB tethering. Resetting it does nothing. Given that wireless costs an absurd amount of money in this area, I currently have a $400 doorstop right now.

How can I unfuck this thing?

Last edited:

Smaug's Smokey Hole

no corona
kiwifarms.net
I think it was named Cortana.
Oh, I have that one completely disabled. It's not running in apps, app history, background processes or services. SearchUI is part of Cortana but that one isn't actually running for me, it never runs. In the Cortana directory the most recent file changes was in October and only applies to DLLs and executables, it probably was part of an update(1809? 1903?).

The problem with doing this is that it stops indexing the fucking start menu, normally you can just press the windows button and type the name of the program you want to run.

I'm running Professional though so I have a little bit more freedom, don't know how I did this though but part of it was shutting down indexing on every disk.

Joe Swanson

kiwifarms.net
I have to say despite the flack it got, Windows Vista is a pretty solid OS nowadays (and the best designed one when it comes to aesthetics too imo)

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have to say despite the flack it got, Windows Vista is a pretty solid OS nowadays (and the best designed one when it comes to aesthetics too imo)
Vista was fine aside from the constant UAC propts that they fixed in 7. But the core OS in Vista is nearly identical to 7, the big revamp was in Vista and they just rebranded it in 7. It was really just the lack of compatible drivers on existing hardware that caused issues, because they changed the driver API. So tech-illiterate idiots just said the whole OS is shit and turned it into a meme. No good deed goes unpunished. They should have just bought some shitty hobby OS some idiot slapped together in their basement, because thats literally what Android is and people wet their pants over that OS.

Robert Sanvagene

Pretend spergs are bullshit autists
kiwifarms.net
Vista was fine aside from the constant UAC propts that they fixed in 7.
Vista's hard-line UAC interference was almost as annoying as W10's insistence on forcing Cortana into users.

In reality, W7 was to Vista what SP1 was to XP. It's funny how most anti-Vista (and often pro-XP) zealots forgot just how much of a dumpster fire XP was prior to SP1.

Reactions: Yotsubaaa

HumanHive

Human behavior is exceptional behavior.
kiwifarms.net
Are we really defendibg Vista now? "Oh well the cow shat out a turd, but eventually a flower grew from the pile of shit so I guess that means the turd smelled nice all along."
Yes, Win7 owes a lot to Vista; but the key thing is MS realized what people hated and fixed it in the next OS. Wish the same were true for 10X, but we've already got "10 wasn't so bad" revisionists ensuring MS will never course correct.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Robert Sanvagene

Pinochet Was Right

And he did nothing wrong
kiwifarms.net
I'd hire someone like nocash - the autistic antifa German emulator author - to write specs for as much Windows shit as he can in a year and with a $60,000
But then he'd get pissed someone's playing Pokemon ROMs in the knockoff windows and would ragequit.

Are we really defendibg Vista now? "Oh well the cow shat out a turd, but eventually a flower grew from the pile of shit so I guess that means the turd smelled nice all along."
Yes, Win7 owes a lot to Vista; but the key thing is MS realized what people hated and fixed it in the next OS. Wish the same were true for 10X, but we've already got "10 wasn't so bad" revisionists ensuring MS will never course correct.
Vista worked. I used it for 5 years in its SP1 version. No problems whatsoever, just disabled UAC. Wait, I did have a problem: one of Trump's Chosen People from class who hounded me to format and downgrade my new laptop to XP with the excuse "just use a windowblinds skin" despite the XP UI being just a colorful but still obsolete and clunky Windows 9X shell.

People think 7 fixed so much stuff from Vista because by then, they weren't running the OS in potato machines claimed to be "vista capable" despite being low end, and they missed how updates fixed the initial driver grievances because they were busy downgrading to xp until 7 came out at the same time their low end HP laptops started melting their insides one after another, forcing them to get newer hardware.

• Agree
Reactions: Joe Swanson
Tags
None