Anthem - EA’s next PR disaster after BF 5

• The site was compromised. (Initial announcement) (What to do) (A post about feelings)
    This announcement will be removed when I (hopefully) finalize my audit either today or tomorrow. I will follow it up with a mass email to all users linking the information in this announcement. So far, there has been no subsequent release of data.
Damn, I thought we were gonna discuss the Ayn Rand novella. At only like 70 pages it's one of her shortest (and as a result straight to the point and light on sperging) work.

Not a Randroid by any means but it's her one work I recommend as general social science fiction.
I prefer “Atlas Shrugged,” because it’s so batshit insane.

Reactions: The Ralphacat

Mammal Pod

Pi is equal to 3.2546373698888...
kiwifarms.net
I think I read somewhere that the demo crashed all EA’s online services and that people couldn’t get into FIFA and Battlefront because of it.
Hey, it's almost like AAA games tend to draw in lots of players, and if you're gonna force them online you should be sure that you have enough server capacity to house them.
I wonder where I've seen that before? Hmm...
https://techcrunch.com/2013/03/09/ea-apologizes-for-simcity-disaster-says-it-was-dumb-and-offers-free-game-to-players/
:thinking:

Secret Asshole

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The joke of it was that the first demo was for Origin Access subscribers, so they knew the max amount of people they could potentially have and didn't even bother to prep for it. The next iteration had pre-order owners, again, known numbers. They still didn't prep for it.

"We expect 1 billion players and 10 trillion dollars."

*servers explode*

"WHY IS THIS HAPPENING"

That's how fucking cheap they are. They know exactly how many people they have and they prep the bare minimum. The devs should be paid according to these numbers, in which I think the Publisher feels 15 people will buy it.

Done

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think EA has pretty much lost all of its ability to make an interesting game. So it's a very hard pass from me.

I think the last EA game I bought for myself with true and honest enthusiasm (as in not merely picking it up for someone else) was the original Dead Space, and even back then, interesting EA games have been very few and far between. I legit can't wait for this company to go down entirely, even fucking Activision can occasionally come up with a game that interests me (Crash trilogy remake).

It's an absolute shame what EA is doing to game studios, that's the real loss here imo. Like them or not, Bioware used to be a very talented and capable studio, so was Visceral Games, and Westwood, and Pandemic and and and..etc etc.

Agent Wet

Draw me like I'm one of your french girls
kiwifarms.net
Good to see EA hasn't change much from SW battlefront 2 and Battlefield 5 honesty I expect this to have mediocre sales at best and at that point you might as well to said goodbye Bioware as that company gets absorb into EA like how every other game company did when being brought out by them.

Absolutego

kiwifarms.net
Most of the time the near-death of a studio EA acquired is sad to me, but I'm honestly anticipating EA finally putting Bioware out of its misery.

Anthem looks like a dumb Destiny clone with shallow-as-shit worldbuilding for the Bioware name. This is clearly a franchise motivated by "I want that!" demands from EA than a genuine creative effort by whatever remnants of classic Bioware are still employed by the studio.

_blank_

The Charles Dickens of Disco
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have absolutely no interest in buying this game and although I realize it'll totally fuck over the people at Bioware, I kind of want this game to bomb simply because of EA's incredibly shit business practices.

That said, there is a free public demo available this weekend (Feb 1 - Feb 3) from 12:00p on Friday to 9:00pm Sunday in case you want to give it a whirl. I think I'll try it out, again because it's free, but the install size of the demo alone is a beefy 23GB. To give you some comparison, that's a bigger install size than the RE2 remake.

Ponderous Pillock

Welcome to Triple T, Tards, Troons and Trolls!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think EA has pretty much lost all of its ability to make an interesting game. So it's a very hard pass from me.

I think the last EA game I bought for myself with true and honest enthusiasm (as in not merely picking it up for someone else) was the original Dead Space, and even back then, interesting EA games have been very few and far between. I legit can't wait for this company to go down entirely, even fucking Activision can occasionally come up with a game that interests me (Crash trilogy remake).

It's an absolute shame what EA is doing to game studios, that's the real loss here imo. Like them or not, Bioware used to be a very talented and capable studio, so was Visceral Games, and Westwood, and Pandemic and and and..etc etc.
Thankfully the wider industry seems to have wised up to this, and there's been a lot less acquisitions by EA in recent years. They went after the remains of THQ back in the day and the administrators basically considered them an asset stripper and told them to go fuck themselves with any offer they made.

Ubisoft would absorb the lions share, mostly because for all their shitty practises as a company they tend to let creative people come forward to try shit out (See the story of Davide Soliani). They've also generally handled the IPs and studios they absorbed semi-well.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
I have absolutely no interest in buying this game and although I realize it'll totally fuck over the people at Bioware, I kind of want this game to bomb simply because of EA's incredibly shit business practices.

That said, there is a free public demo available this weekend (Feb 1 - Feb 3) from 12:00p on Friday to 9:00pm Sunday in case you want to give it a whirl. I think I'll try it out, again because it's free, but the install size of the demo alone is a beefy 23GB. To give you some comparison, that's a bigger install size than the RE2 remake.
Don't feel bad for the people at BioWare for this game bombing. They were fucked the second they were bought by EA.

Foltest

King of Termia and protector of Kfarms
kiwifarms.net
So this piece of shit cost that much?

I still believe EA games is a money laundry facade, just like Franchise Pictures. No way this garbage has the same budget of fucking Red Dead Redemption. Half the money went directly to the execs wallets, it's a fucking fraud.
I can iminge this game having a budget that high. If they have gone through rework time and time again, the cost will go up. Don't forget incompetence in using the asset. That is what happend to ME:A, as the team was had to change the engine late in development, had to rush everything and so.

Ponderous Pillock

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The original owners left and are now releasing remaster of old bioware games, tho.
They can still get fucked for selling their company to the devil. "Hey, remember when we actually struggled for our art and didn't guzzle cock for large amounts of money? Buy our old shit!"

So this piece of shit cost that much?

I still believe EA games is a money laundry facade, just like Franchise Pictures. No way this garbage has the same budget of fucking Red Dead Redemption. Half the money went directly to the execs wallets, it's a fucking fraud.
It's a stockbroker's laundering game. Allegedly it's a plan for EA's future monetisation of the game long term, with sequels and support currently penned in for a decade or more.

So we know how this is going to pan out.

EA's also really taken a beating in the last year due to their hideous fuck ups on both Battlefront 2 and Battlefield 5, with their stock price losing around 50% of it's value since July Last year, and is only just starting to recover now.

(In comparison, Ubisoft has lost a grand total of 25%.)

Ruin

#respectskeltins
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Thankfully the wider industry seems to have wised up to this, and there's been a lot less acquisitions by EA in recent years. They went after the remains of THQ back in the day and the administrators basically considered them an asset stripper and told them to go fuck themselves with any offer they made.

Ubisoft would absorb the lions share, mostly because for all their shitty practises as a company they tend to let creative people come forward to try shit out (See the story of Davide Soliani). They've also generally handled the IPs and studios they absorbed semi-well.
After The Witcher 3 got released CD Projekt Red spent millions buying back their own stock which I suspect was partially to ward off companies like EA.

Ponderous Pillock

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
After The Witcher 3 got released CD Projekt Red spent millions buying back their own stock which I suspect was partially to ward off companies like EA.
That and the Polish Govt basically told them to, with Witcher 3 they were declared a National Champion, so something that can be semi-protected in the EU. The cultural and economic impact CDPR had has been pretty significant, with a lot of people now eagerly awaiting their next game.

Meanwhile, as Warframe was mentioned upthread, they've fired some shots:

RJ MacReady

cheating bitch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What strikes me is that it wasn't so long ago a game like Anthem would've had everyone furiously masturbating, but here in 2019 it feels like a game from 2009. The core thinking behind it is rapidly going obsolete, and I think the alarmingly tepid reception drives home that people are tired of it.

It should be very concerning to every AAA publisher when "traditional blockbusters" like Anthem are getting shrugs while more forward thinking titles like Cyberpunk 2077, God of War, The Last of Us, Resident Evil 2 and Death Stranding are capturing an ever-growing portion of the industry's critical and consumer attention.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino