EA Skipping E3 2019 - Joining Sony as a no-show this E3... is E3 Dooooooomed? (Yeah, Probably).

The fate of E3:

• It gonne die, fam. It gonna bleed out in a ditch an die.

Votes: 20 20.4%
  • Much like my hopes for a Goldeneye remaster, it will never die.

Votes: 17 17.3%
  • Microsoft buys it. Devolves into a two-hour live show of green-tinted cringe

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • Well, if it does die, at least we don't have to put up with another Ubisoft dancer number.

Votes: 27 27.6%
  • VIdeo games are for losers. I'm simply stopping by this subforum to remind you that.

Votes: 18 18.4%

• Total voters
Are they going to join Sony in the E3 DLC coming out in July or will we have to buy them separately? Think I'll hold off on buy E3 2019 until they release the remaster in 2021 that includes all characters from the outset.

Guardian G.I.

СНГ scum
kiwifarms.net
E3 has seen worse attendance - it'll survive EA's absence.

Does anyone remember the old days? The Legend of Spyro Series, Sly Cooper, Road Rage, Crazy Taxi, the first Mortal Kombat and Smash Bros games? The First and Second Generation of Pokemon?

How about when Fallout 3 first came out? Holy shit, those were the fucking days. Games that were fun, fairly cheap, none of the microtransaction give me your money re-tard business mentality. And s, so many other titles that were fun as fuck, even without internet, and 4k graphics. I still have my PS2 copy of Urban Chaos: Riot Response, and that game is fucking amazing. Looks like shit, but nobody gave a shit. I certainly didn't. Look up the 2005 Star Wars battlefront and compare it to the modern version. The difference is staggering.

And what about Fable? Who remembers the original Fable?

I think video games will be better when E3 is dead. Getting all the corporate shit out of the industry would be best, but E3 going down the drain is a start. Let people, People, make cool shit again.
AAA games have always been corporate shit. In some ways, they were even worse than now - remember Need for Speed Underground 2 and its absolutely ridiculous amount of product placement? Not the mention the cringy "how do you do, fellow kids?" plotlines of those kind of games.

Also, I remember how people were complaining about Fallout 3 and its DLCs back then - very much not unlike today.

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
E3 has seen worse attendance - it'll survive EA's absence.

AAA games have always been corporate shit. In some ways, they were even worse than now - remember Need for Speed Underground 2 and its absolutely ridiculous amount of product placement? Not the mention the cringy "how do you do, fellow kids?" plotlines of those kind of games.

Also, I remember how people were complaining about Fallout 3 and its DLCs back then - very much not unlike today.
At least NFS2:U was funny bad instead of depressingly bad. At least you can still actually play it and it didn't come in a million separate pieces you had to buy.

Attachments

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
As much as I would like to jump in on "Fuck EA" (and I would), this is more of a "press F to pay respects to E3" because E3 is going to be dead in a few years.

The writing has been on the wall for a while (Sony not going, Nintendo not doing a live show, EA pulling out) but most companies have found larger success in a larger number of smaller reveals through the year directly (aka Nintendo Direct, Sony Live/PlayStation Experience, EA Play, Blizzcon) and indirectly (VG Award Show, Developer Blogs, Video Game Websites) instead of waiting to blow one giant information load at E3.

Smaller but more frequent reveals also mean that the announcements aren't competing with one another in a very small time window ("Hey they're making a new smash - FUCK THAT THERES A NEW PLAYSTATION") which benefits everyone except E3. It lets companies take more time with their reveals and pitches (Nintendo even pre-records and edits them) and ensures that they're targeting the most people and people that are their fans.

E3, when it started, was mainly for investors and business types and focused on sales information. Eventually as the years went on, video game journalists started going to get information about what to expect over the next year so they could report on it. It changed the landscape of E3 and it became the "modern E3" most people think of and catered more to journalists than business people. In either of it's iterations it was one of the only of its kind, however that changed a few years back when they opened it to the public. Once they did that - it was not longer a "one of a kind" setting and it became "just another stop out of 100 on a press tour" and you're seeing it treated that way, now.

I'm not sad to see E3 go, but it's going.

RJ MacReady

cheating bitch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I said back when Sony pulled out that publishers now have enough social media reach to target consumers directly and host their own events. E3 was borderline necessary for them when the gaming media was hyper-consolidated in the late 90s/2000s, but the nature of marketing has changed and it's safe for companies like EA to skip E3 (or like Nintendo, opt for something cheaper) if they feel the investment won't break even. It was always a Faustian bargain to share eyeballs with their competitors.

But it's worth remembering that signs point to Sony skipping E3/PSX 2019 to prepare for the PS5 reveal in 2020. E3 will eventually fade away, yeah, but for years now it's been boom-bust as opposed to the year-after-year feeding frenzy it was in the 2000s. And 2019 will be a bust year.

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
Truly awards shows will be missed...

(I'll legit miss all the public embarrassments)

Lou Wrong

Butthurt about Buddyloids
kiwifarms.net
Thats right, EA is skipping E3.... to hang out in the parking lot instead. Like the Nintendo change (pre-recorded instead of live) I think this is way overblown in the press. None-the-less, E3 is dying, it has been since 2006, maybe even before that. For being the world's second largest publisher, they sure do come in with a load of nothing every year but I will sort of miss them if they skip having any presentation at all.

MightyBiteySnake

Ouroboros, BITCH!
kiwifarms.net
On the off chance that E3 actually "dies" some new show will take it's place, just as E3 took the place of space world.

Sony leaving is one thing but EA leaving doesn't even compare. Sony left because of ego, but EA is leaving because of lack of funds I'm sure. Now if Nintendo or Microsoft start abstaining THATS when the real shit is gonna go down.

ASoulMan

It's time for assembly...FROM HELL!!!
kiwifarms.net
So E3 2019 is just gonna be Microsoft and Ubisoft actually holding conferences while the rest go on and do their own thing?

I might just skip out on E3 for once beyond seeing Nintendo's presentation that they've been hosting every year. It wouldn't shock me if E3 kicks the bucket in the next couple of years.

Lou Wrong

Butthurt about Buddyloids
kiwifarms.net
On the off chance that E3 actually "dies" some new show will take it's place, just as E3 took the place of space world.

Sony leaving is one thing but EA leaving doesn't even compare. Sony left because of ego, but EA is leaving because of lack of funds I'm sure. Now if Nintendo or Microsoft start abstaining THATS when the real shit is gonna go down.
Space World was a Nintendo specific event that coexisted with E3 for almost a decade. E3 really was created to give game companies something less crowded/nonspecific than CES, which is itself still going strong in non-gaming areas.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino