Epic Games General Thread - Its time to talk about what the AAA gaming industry does not understand about the PC console.

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, shut off a ten year olds favorite game and they're going to cry.

Also the first marketing stunt to delete your entire fucking game off the internet that is mostly played by children, who are widely noted for their attention span and patience. I heard about it on the fucking morning news of all places. So this has spread far and wide.

Maybe it was smart, Quarterpounder wants to play Fortnite because of it which is hysterical.

I think its fucking idiotic, but when you've got a flagging player base and a captice audience of screaming children who want their toy back, it might work.

Then again having it bring down EGS shows it isn't designed to handle Steam's numbers yet they want to replace them. Fucking lol. Tell me again shills how a launcher that gets its asshole blown out over a completely unrelated event is competition?

Last edited:

Changeofheart

Filthy g*mer scum
kiwifarms.net
Fortnite players become hysterical and suicidal when they don't get their dopamine rush costantly given to them by their game for 20 minutes? Shocking.

Last edited:

Colloid

This is the baby sun now. Feel old yet?
kiwifarms.net
This sort of hysteria is what happens when parents let a computer do their job for them. Reminds me of the days ten years ago when kids would go apeshit over Runescape 2 going down for a an hour or two when Jagex added new updates.

KanaPostsonKiwi

kiwifarms.net
Can someone tech literate explain to me how the fuck a game on a game launcher can crash it competely?
The same way practically all of Steam's regional servers (except the game launching, which is a separate system and works fine, and downloads, which is another separate system, and online services, which are yet another separate system... mainly what i'm saying: just the storefront) grinds to a complete halt whenever sales start. The influx of people flooding the place amounts to a functional DDOS attack, except it's people instead of a distributed botnet.

This is compounded by the fact that it's anywhere between 1-20 million people, and a lot of them are refreshing the page quite a bit.
Now, in Forkknife's case, it's millions of dumbshit kids with zero attention span and no concept of patience slamming refresh to get their daily fix of "no skill required, BR". Any server would crash, but because we know that Epic Games Store is ran by experienced industry professionals and not complete and total idiots, they just have the exact same servers running the store, logins and authentication as well as the storefront. It just makes more sense that way. Remember: Think Different.

Anyhow, every single detail points to it being a marketing thing. Fortnite's getting back on the news, just like Seth McFarlane's ailing shovelware of an animation got on the news a couple years back with an unforeseen and totally relevant plot twist that everyone really needed to know about.

Last edited:

Floop

Accidental Spy Kids reference
kiwifarms.net
Kids freaking out about no Fortnite was probably staged and fake, that stuff has happened for over a decade.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bush did USS Maine

Gottahavemysips

kiwifarms.net
It's almost certainly a marketing ploy, but holy hell is it a dumb one. Fortnite has always leaned heavily on Twitch and YouTube influencers to keep kiddos coming back to play daily. All the kids are freaking out at the moment, but the really big deal is if they don't start turning it around real soon a lot of the major influencers are going to Branch out to other games, since they aren't going to make money staring at a black hole. Another frightening thought on this: if this somehow does work out for Epic, then every game as a service type game will catch on and try to imitate this, and that's gonna be a disaster. I don't think there is a chance in hell it will work out though. I'm sure when they reveal whatever they are going to, there will be a big rush to come back, but it better be fucking brilliant after this type of hype building. If it disappoints, there's gonna be hell to pay, because then their influencers are going to dry up.

• Late
Reactions: OmnipotentStupidity

Secret Asshole

Expert in things that never, ever happened
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wait, its STILL not back? Fucking lol. What brainlet decided this was a good idea?

This might work on Fortnite. Keyword, might. When you have momentum, you don't shut it down. I know the player base is declining, but somehow I don't think deleting your game and then whipping your dev slaves to get out whatever the fuck is replacing it is a good idea.

Also I put money on it being down the second it gets back as people try to rush to play it. This does not seem like a good idea at all.

• Late
Reactions: Floop

Floop

Accidental Spy Kids reference
kiwifarms.net
Wait, its STILL not back? Fucking lol. What brainlet decided this was a good idea?

This might work on Fortnite. Keyword, might. When you have momentum, you don't shut it down. I know the player base is declining, but somehow I don't think deleting your game and then whipping your dev slaves to get out whatever the fuck is replacing it is a good idea.

Also I put money on it being down the second it gets back as people try to rush to play it. This does not seem like a good idea at all.
No it’s back. Fortnite chapter two. I think it was actually a pretty cool marketing stunt.

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
No it’s back. Fortnite chapter two. I think it was actually a pretty cool marketing stunt.
Yeah totally worth it for the same map but different. And boats. ...And pogo sticks.

Also different lighting, I think?

Oh right, you can also fish now. I don't know what purpose it serves, but you can fish now.

Catgirls are Love

Make Catgirls Purr Again
kiwifarms.net
fishing can net you guns and fish consumables. Though you have a better chance of getting higher rarity fish and weapons if you fish in an active spot. It usually only takes a few seconds.
It's fucking breath of the wild all over again.
So the Lady of the Lake now hands out pistols, assault rifles and fishsticks instead of Excalibur. How times have changed.

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
fishing can net you guns and fish consumables. Though you have a better chance of getting higher rarity fish and weapons if you fish in an active spot. It usually only takes a few seconds.
It's fucking breath of the wild all over again.
So like...what's stopping you from going to the house in the center and getting the same high-rarity guns and better consumables? Especially if you have a boat, which makes you harder to hit?

I seriously don't understand why this update was worth even more bad press for Epic Games, for what basically amounted to an engine tweak/normal update when compared to what now has to be dubbed as "Chapter 1" of Fortnite.

What happens if people don't like the new map? Are they just shit outta luck? That doesn't exactly solve the map variety problem.

Gottahavemysips

kiwifarms.net
Well, guess I was late. Looks like they didn't shoot themselves in the foot really, it didn't last too long. Watch every major game that does global events try similar shit, cuz Fortnite made it successful, and then get ready to laugh as it is botched.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino