The Linux Thread - The Autist's OS of Choice

The Real SVP

kiwifarms.net
Lunduke just went full doomer: https://odysee.com/@Lunduke:e/LinuxSucks2021:1

I thought fuchsia was dead? last time I checked the whole thing was half-baked
BRB getting my Amiga out of the basement.
I agree with him, Linux and its surrounding ecosystem have become unsustainable and ripe for replacement. I don't see this as a bad thing, though. Linux replaced the commercial Unixes after they became cumbersome. Now Linux is becoming more and more of a burden and setting itself up for replacement.

Cool Dog

A goodboi denied his Wendy's
kiwifarms.net
BRB getting my Amiga out of the basement.
I agree with him, Linux and its surrounding ecosystem have become unsustainable and ripe for replacement. I don't see this as a bad thing, though. Linux replaced the commercial Unixes after they became cumbersome. Now Linux is becoming more and more of a burden and setting itself up for replacement.
You got an amiga? for real?

Anyway, so whats going to replace linux? whats out there?
I thought if we were just awesome to one another, the trannies and corporations would leave us alone (:_(
Too bad they got tons of money and control the press and academia and even parts of the government

Dick Justice

カウドッゴは皆がどこへ行ったかしらー
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
He makes interesting points though he doesn't offer a whole lot to substantiate them, just a mess of "trust me guys I'm from marketing". Fuschia is particularly worrying. But then at the end his timeframe? 25 years? Next he'll forecast husbands cheating on their wives and conflict in the middle east. Everything about him and the way he talks suggests snake oil salesman and probable narcissist. His timing is especially peculiar; desktop linux is the best its ever been and now far outclasses its competition. This is a very strange time to play the prophet of doom.

Rusty Crab

but it did get worse
kiwifarms.net
Is it just me or does linux in general suffer from some really serious USB issues? Depending on what computer I've installed it on, sometimes it shits itself trying to copy files over 1 gig, other times it'll copy 50 gigs over "instantly" but then sit there for an hour "writing to device". The issues seem to vary, but USB transfers never quite work right in some way or another.

Never Scored

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is it just me or does linux in general suffer from some really serious USB issues? Depending on what computer I've installed it on, sometimes it shits itself trying to copy files over 1 gig, other times it'll copy 50 gigs over "instantly" but then sit there for an hour "writing to device". The issues seem to vary, but USB transfers never quite work right in some way or another.
I run into a problem, seems to be most often on Arch derived distros, where when I'm say, trying to back up a terabyte of data over USB, it will occasionally stop and say all the files on the internal drive and backup disk are write protected even though they aren't. Restarting the computer fixes it.

Aidan

kiwifarms.net
Maybe I'm just lucky but I've never had much issues with USBs on linux aside from years ago some brands not wanting to mount easily and the occasionally-still-happens taking too long to unmount for whatever reason. But it's like a few seconds not really anything terrible.
I tend to use rsync instead of mv or cp when moving large chunks of files between disks which seems to alleviate issues but that could just be placebo since I've been doing it for some time now.

The Real SVP

kiwifarms.net
I tend to use rsync instead of mv or cp when moving large chunks of files between disks which seems to alleviate issues but that could just be placebo since I've been doing it for some time now.
Nah, rsync does help. Not because it really alleviates the issue, but because it is more aware and honest about transfer speeds. IIRC rsync won't say it's done until it's sure that your files are where you want them to be. Mv and cp just assume they are done when the kernel tells them they are. Which, depending on the file system, can happen long before any data actually reached its destination.

Dick Justice

カウドッゴは皆がどこへ行ったかしらー
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I wonder if it has anything to do with the fs in question. Journaling's always seemed to me like one of those automagical things we just assume works way better than it actually does, especially on older filesystems like exactly the kind you would use on a USB.

P.S. I just lost a drive to cancer. Keep your backups current, kiwis!

Tsuka Hiira

why am I here? o.o
kiwifarms.net
Debian XFCE user here, customised to look exactly like Xubuntu :)

Anyone know how to force X to display at a resolution that doesn't appear in the display panel?

Falcos_Commisar

kiwifarms.net
Ouch. Issues like this keep 98% of the planet away from Linux as a daily driver. Little issues add up over time and become super frustrating issues that make you rage and swear off Linux forever. Also..... Linus doesn't have a truly viable mobile distro yet. That is critical.

Interesting video.

Yotsubaaa

And I will love you 💗
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Ouch. Issues like this keep 98% of the planet away from Linux as a daily driver. Little issues add up over time and become super frustrating issues that make you rage and swear off Linux forever.
But I've had just as many issues with USBs on Windows though. Like it refusing to eject because it thinks it's still "busy in another program" even though I've closed everything so that can't possibly be true. Or when I remove it anyway, and everything seems fine but now it bitches about the device having "errors" and needing to be "fixed" every time I put back it in now, even though it probably doesn't because it still lets me use it just fine and I haven't noticed anything bad.

Like you said, it's the little issues, right?

I promise Linux doesn't have a monopoly on these sorts of issues. Back when I was using Linux solely as my daily driver I used to think that Windows wasn't so bad, and maybe I was overreacting when I thought Windows was shit and Linux was the best OS ever (I probably was: I was one of those embarrassing Linux extremists back then). But now that I have to use both Windows and Linux side-by-side for work, I can safely say they've both got their pros and cons.

e.g. Did you know you still (in this year of our lord 2021) cannot use Virtualbox and Docker at the same time in Windows? Sure, there's technical reasons for that (relating to Hyper-V/Windows Subsystem for Linux that Docker uses), but that's off in the weeds. All I notice, as the end-user, is that I can't do this on Windows, while everything just magically works on Linux. People working on both Virtualbox and Docker keep promising that this will be fixed "soon", but I'm not optimistic and in the meantime my own work still needs to get done. I've just had to stop using Virtualbox completely on my Windows machine, which kind of sucks.

Programming stuff always seems to work better on Linux than Windows too. Here's an annoying one I've recently noticed: in Windows, I can't use the ever-useful "Run this current line in an IRB console" command in RubyMine. Apparently that's an issue other people have had as well, and I haven't been able to fix it. I just have to 'deal with it' I guess. Meanwhile in Linux, everything in RubyMine works just fine.

TeX stuff also seems to work much better on Linux/Mac than it does on Windows in my experience. I have documents that literally won't compile on any of our Windows machines because of MiKTeX library errors that I don't have time to fix (e.g. fuck you StackOverflow, I'm not reinstalling all of my MiKTeX libraries from scratch just so I can insert pdfs). Again, everything just seems to work without any major issues on Linux, in that sphere at least.

Windows definitely has its good points too, don't get me wrong. But so does Linux, is my point.