Chrono Trigger/Cross -

Captain Toad

Captain of the Toad Brigade
kiwifarms.net
Chrono Trigger was easily one of my favorite games as a kid. I always thought that those double and triple tech moves were the coolest thing ever. I was pretty awful at the game though, and couldn't get past the Giga Gaia guy that you fight on the mountain. I'll probably play through the game and try again soon.

Bassomatic

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I saw this so had to chime in, I'm not much a gamer just remember the shit I had as a kid, I play CT at least once a year, to me it's a best game ever, if we break down one of the best for SNES one of the best RPGs and I adore everything about it.

I have the cart too :)

It's just perfect, the only thing I wish (I've not played the DS and I'm told things are added) were a bit more difficulty or something like a new game plus with some scaling for a second play with some fight back.

I think by far my favorite part of it is the art, both look and music, themes etc. It's just the best.

Now let me ask the only serious CT question

Do you get Magus? I tend to not too

Cross, I need to give another fair shot, I played it new and fresh off trigger and it's not well more of the same so for long time I really hated it. I know that's not exactly fair though.

One thing I really think is underrated in CT
how you can use time to get better gear ie armor in 1000 and vest in 600
. Just a nice little nod the makers put an extra touch of thought into the game.

If you haven't done it yet sink all your speed tabs to robo, it's cartoon fun. Personally both in use and personality I'm still finding Lucca to be short end of the stick and barely use her.

I've played it in every way you can dream, from speed runs, to masters, to odd parties etc. I just don't tire of it but I found doing all the side quests some grind/farm it's about 24 hours total. There are longer RPGS for SNES esp if you sink into grinds (CT doesn't need it at all) but damn is it a good game and I never regret time into it.

Bagronkleton

kiwifarms.net
How is Cross?
If you enjoy a game with a ton of fair bit of side content it's decent enough. It's a shitty successor to Chrono Trigger and the story jumps the shark a few times but all in all it has its charms. Worth a shot but don't go into it with the standard Trigger mindset. Cross is really a Chrono game in name only.

Last edited:

NOT Sword Fighter Super

"Cheerleeder" of Slapfights
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Saw a cartridge copy in the local retro game store for $300. Thankfully the adult in me bitch-slapped the idiot child in me. It's good to be reminded from time to time why I'm better than Chris Chan.

• Feels
Reactions: Pissmaster

TheGreatCitracett

Sitting on a landmine of talent!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd never gotten to play Trigger until probably 2006 when I picked up the cart from an old lady's yard sale for 50 cents. (Gave her a whole dollar and got FFIV too). I'd always wanted to play it and it quickly became one of my favorite games ever. Especially with all the different endings. I still play it about once a year, but I grabbed the DS remake when it came out so I play that one.

I just picked up Cross a while back, but haven't gotten to play it yet. A thing I hated was when they added all the neat animated cutscenes to the Trigger remake (originally from 1999), they used them to retcon the best ending into just another bad ending to try and make it lead up to Cross which had just been released. That was some bullshit.

MysticMisty

kiwifarms.net
What is different or added to the DS, I'm in mood for my yearly play thru now after talking about it.

@TheGreatCitracett that is an insanely good deal. FFIV is a wonderful game also.
The translation has been updated and is more accurate now, including all the references to alcohol. A few new areas/quests show up after the Black Omen rises, and then after you've beaten the game once (I don't think New Game+ is required). Your mileage may vary with them, but if nothing else the new translation is worth it.

• Informative
Reactions: Bassomatic

TheGreatCitracett

Sitting on a landmine of talent!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
What is different or added to the DS, I'm in mood for my yearly play thru now after talking about it.

@TheGreatCitracett that is an insanely good deal. FFIV is a wonderful game also.
Seconding the translation being better. Frog also doesn't speak goofy ye olde English anymore. I know some people really liked that though.

There's maps, a bestiary, the animated cutscenes, a big sidequest in the world of reptites that gets you some new ultimate weapons. A monster training/battling minigame, a bonus final boss, and some new endings. Plus it's got a neat feature where it keeps track of everything including which endings you've gotten. All the endings, videos, and music can be viewed at anytime providing you've unlocked it.

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things, but overall it's a huge improvement I think. Definitely worth it.

• Informative
Reactions: Bassomatic

Dunsparce

Out of Control
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A thing I hated was when they added all the neat animated cutscenes to the Trigger remake (originally from 1999), they used them to retcon the best ending into just another bad ending to try and make it lead up to Cross which had just been released. That was some bullshit.
That particular post-credits cutscene is now regulated to the brand new 13th ending in the DS remake, which itself ties heavily into Chrono Cross.

• Informative
Reactions: TheGreatCitracett

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Adding to what to what @MysticMisty and @TheGreatCitracett said, CTDS also has a mode where you can play music from the game -- there's even some music that was unused in the SNES version. Also video clips from the PlayStation release are there too.

It's also cheaper than the SNES cartridge, so you don't need to shell out $300 for it. Yet.

In the American SNES release, one of the sleeping people on the floating islands says stuff about New Age stuff like crystals and mediation. In the DS re-release, it's a more serious "truth exists in dreams" line.

Y

YW 525

kiwifarms.net
I'd recommend the DS version to anyone looking to play it. Though the SNES is my personal favorite version. It plays great on a CRT with awesome sound and super crisp sprites. Something about having a glass screen gives the game an extra level of gloss that you don't see anymore.

Chrono Cross was an alright game, but very confused in terms of its story. The super genius plan to save the world hinged on a lot of things conveniently going right and could have easily blown up in their faces at any moment. But it did have a few memorable scenes and the combat was fun sometimes.

Chrono Break when?

XYZpdq

fbi most wanted sskealeaton
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A million years ago when it was new my buddies were all up on Trigger's dick. It bugged me to no end how your location related to the monsters mattered but you couldn't move around. Moving the characters around felt weird too, like Secret of Mana but not.

Cross came out eventually. I got one of the promo clocks for it from some game store because I bought a bunch of their NES shit and... I don't even really remember why the clerk gave it to me. I guess he was happy to have a conversation about Neo-Geo for a change or something.
Buddy of mine had the big-ass standup for cross. Somehow nobody ever gave a fuck about having promo stuff for Cross.

Billy_Sama

♂Love and Muscle in Heaven♂
kiwifarms.net
Chrono Cross was an alright game, but very confused in terms of its story. The super genius plan to save the world hinged on a lot of things conveniently going right and could have easily blown up in their faces at any moment. But it did have a few memorable scenes and the combat was fun sometimes.

Chrono Break when?
Chrono Cross would be a great game to remake due to the messy and convoluted story and characters it created during its development. A second attempt could flesh the overall game better with a better cohesive story. Unfortunately that ship has sailed along with Chrono Break since the organization of the team moved on.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: verissimus
Tags
None