Infected #Comicsgate - The Culture Wars Hit The Funny Books!

Jaimas

Give 'Em the Crab Jab
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Try the past two decades friend, if the industry dies it won't be because of the wokefad and idiots on Twitter.

This industry's been on life support for a long time, Marvel going bankrupt and being bought out by Disney in 09 should have been a huge wakeup call that something was wrong.

Marvel and DC's continued existence is sorely at the whims of their parent companies unlike Image and the others they don't need comic shops to survive.
You're right in that it won't be because of the wokefad shitheads on Twitter. It'll be because of who keeps hiring them, who happens to have the exact same ideology.

Comics are a niche market but it's one people are willing to pay for. They're not some massive exploitable resource but comics can make money and do well. The problem is that the industry is dominated right now by people who are absolutely willing to devastate a company if it means pushing their agenda. It's why so many movie studios keep buying into this same shit and flushing billions of dollars down the toilet. No one wants this shit, but they're gonna push it anyway and then claim that you're the problem when you won't accept their shitty product.

In Marvel's case, when they aren't hiring avowed anti-semites that are sneaking anti-semetic messages into their books, they're hiring untalented hack writers and artists based solely on their woke cred. When their books suck ass and no one wants them, they lash out at the fans for not buying their trash. When inevitably their books get cancelled, the people who hired these idiots then go and hire more degenerates from the same tainted well, who do the exact same shit, over and over and over again. The same assclowns that thought hiring Maggs was a good idea are the same ones that brought you Mr. Kibblesmith. They don't care that this is going to kill the industry; in fact they'd prefer that it did because it's better that it burns to the ground than allow those filthy fans to have it.

CheezzyMach

Hulkamania Brother!
kiwifarms.net
You say that but I tell you this, the death of comics was gaurenteed because the industry for whatever reason failed to capitalise on the growing interest of Super Heroes at the height of Avengers popularity. People saw the Avengers film, walked into a comics shop, saw Iron Man was evil, and then a black woman who was also evil. They then walked out. The MCU should've been the signal for a biblical resurection of comics. They were handed it on a platter and they chose social justice. We would not be having this conversation if Marvel simply made quality comics with familiar characters to loosely tie into the release of their films. DC did the same fucking thing and changed out their characters for new ones at the worst possible time to do it.
Except they tried that, they made Iron Man the face of Marvel for a few years after the MCU exploded,they changed character costumes to make them look like the movie and Netflix versions, they created a new Avengers book that had the exact same team line up as the movies and they pushed Black Panther hard after his movie got big. All of it failed.

Simple fact is normies don't buy monthly comics they've been niche and trapped in dying specialty shops for the past 30 years and the monthly magazine in general is suffering not just comics. What tends to spike though are old comics and collected editions which both companies have acknowledged sell better then new stuff.

My LCS has had people come into the shop looking for comics for their kids though thanks to the MCU but Marvel placed their bets on Neckbeards in the 90s and drove the kids out.

That's largely the reason they went so hard on jumping on the SocJus trend they want younger readers instead of being shackled to a shrinking demograph of hardcore older dudes and SocJus is the current trend in the youth at least according to Twitter.

Basically Marvel/DC took a failed gamble that they would gain more by appealing to the vapid attention whores on Twitter then lose by pissing off their old base.

Couple that with the TDS currently afflicting all Western entertainment and you have the current shitshow of creators being dicks on Twitter and doing their damnedest to drive away the diehards who are left.

Last edited:

Elwood P. Dowd

Gone Daddy Gone
kiwifarms.net
You say that but I tell you this, the death of comics was gaurenteed because the industry for whatever reason failed to capitalise on the growing interest of Super Heroes at the height of Avengers popularity. People saw the Avengers film, walked into a comics shop, saw Iron Man was evil, and then a black woman who was also evil. They then walked out. The MCU should've been the signal for a biblical resurection of comics. They were handed it on a platter and they chose social justice. We would not be having this conversation if Marvel simply made quality comics with familiar characters to loosely tie into the release of their films. DC did the same fucking thing and changed out their characters for new ones at the worst possible time to do it.
Eh, I think the current (or is it now a thing of the past?) business model was unsustainable in the long-term, but I do kind of agree if they'd gone the route of somehow letting the dog (movies) wag the tail (floppies) there's a chance things could have limped along for a while longer, possibly even through the shut down current mess.

But, nah, I truly do not think paper books distributed via Diamond to your LCS was gonna be thing by 2030 no matter what books were printed or even if the current situation hadn't arisen. The one thing the SJWs seem to get that CG does not is that the audience for books is aging and shrinking. Granted the curious tactics they've been utilizing to try to expand this audience have done nothing but alienate current readers while NOT bringing in much, if any, new business...wish I wasn't so hung over. Maybe I'll edit this later and try to make something coherent out of it.

CheezzyMach

Hulkamania Brother!
kiwifarms.net
Eh, I think the current (or is it now a thing of the past?) business model was unsustainable in the long-term, but I do kind of agree if they'd gone the route of somehow letting the dog (movies) wag the tail (floppies) there's a chance things could have limped along for a while longer, possibly even through the shut down current mess.

But, nah, I truly do not think paper books distributed via Diamond to your LCS was gonna be thing by 2030 no matter what books were printed or even if the current situation hadn't arisen. The one thing the SJWs seem to get that CG does not is that the audience for books is aging and shrinking. Granted the curious tactics they've been utilizing to try to expand this audience have done nothing but alienate current readers while NOT bringing in much, if any, new business...wish I wasn't so hung over. Maybe I'll edit this later and try to make something coherent out of it.
Me and King of Nothing have been harping they need to get these books back into mass retail again for a reason.

Specialty shops like Comic book stores are a dying breed thanks to Amazon.

Weird thing though is book stores seem to be thriving since the majority of comic sales come from them.

Garm

kiwifarms.net
It's amazing how they have time to worry about twitter fights when the companies are saying "Stop working because we can't reliably pay you right now" Holy shit guys, pick your battles. LCS' that have been around for YEARS are closing permanently because they can't even handle two weeks of this lockdown. Some of you will definitely not have jobs in the industry when this is over.

Oh I don't disagree, I just feel bad for the mom and pop shops who want to sell Batman books without drama and call it a day. Everyone else can absolutely get fucked. They made this bed and can lie in it.

Everything is getting shutdown because of corona. Even the printers are closed for now.
Let them fight out the battles on Twitter. It is all they know. It won't save them. None of these people could prop up Marvel even if they wished to.

They are powerless to prevent this and all they can do is scream into the void.

Who would have thought that Corona-Chan would've been the one to drive the knife into the comics industry?
That it was already this fragile?
"Enemies strengthen. Allies weaken."

The second someone cuts out conflict and retreats into a hugbox is the second the rot sets in.

Conflict forces you to hone your arguments. Forces you to think. To consider different angles.

Hug boxes soften you. Don't challenge you. There is no one to warn you when the end approaches because you have banished them.

These people wrote weak books because no one forced them to improve. They were cocooned from criticism and now an industry burns because of it.

If you meant the industry was fragile monetarily, well, that's because our economy runs on debt. You can't shut down for a day because you need to be making so much product every day in order to keep up. A slip and everything spirals out of control.

verissimus

kiwifarms.net
Not sure if anyone is interested but Martina is still making Lady Alchemy with a new creative team and what I think is a brand new plot, even claiming that the money already raised is enough to unfuck the mess and a delivery date of Aug2020.

View attachment 1207568

I have a feeling either the money will dry up (assuming it hasn't already) or this will get delayed. We'll see in a few months.

WhimsicalTrolli

kiwifarms.net
Remind ex/anti/OG Comicsgate why they signed up in the first place.
When they signed up there wasn't a gayop group that ethan endorses or knew how of a jilted ex he was.
even claiming that the money already raised is enough to unfuck the mess and a delivery date of Aug2020.
I wonder who she had to sleep with to unfuck all the drama her book caused.

Last edited:

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
It's begun to dawn on them that the gravy train that was the big two, which supported their SJW grift, has derailed so crowdfunding might be the only way for them to earn a crust in comics going forward.
They shouldn't be shocked. The cunts are now amazed that the boat they've been drilling holes in for years is now sinking? Who has been trying to tell them this is coming over and over for years while they scream about imaginary Nazis?

The standard smug SJW's answer to any complaints about them gate-keeping and attempting to control every space they infest has been, 'It's a private company, we don't have to listen to/platform you and if you don't like our rules then go build your own ___________'
They didn't mean that, though. They meant, literally, just go fucking die. It was a huge shock to them that the "Nazis" went and actually did it. And now they have their own platforms while these fugly landwhales like Gail flounder in the icy sea.

This is apocalyptic stuff. Optimistically speaking, 80% of the industry will remain after this, with comics switching to a Fully Returnable model. Direct-to-Consumer will soon become a necessity for all smaller publishers.

Woke IMAGE books, RIP. Fully Returnable destroys their entire model. All of those catfood eaters are now finished.
This does for comics what Steam refunds did for indie wokeshit walking simulators.

Last edited:

WhimsicalTrolli

kiwifarms.net
Am i one the only one who thinks this "COMICS ARE DEAD" click bait videos are out of hand? Marvel and DC will still be around because the same people who complain about "muh mainstream" will still watch the movies and buy the games or buy the comics for the hate reviews. It's ying and yang, without the sjw comics most of cg channels wouldn't make it to 10k subs. Like for past 3 years there's a click bait antisjw channel saying "Marvel and dc dead?!" But in reality they'll be here for another 100 years. With the amount of money they make from tv shows, movies, toys, and video games they'll probably survive this. But I do expect more farming ips to idw or doing a huge overhaul. But all of these channels saying comics are dead but at the end of the day they'll still buy the products like the comsoomers they are.

Elwood P. Dowd

Gone Daddy Gone
kiwifarms.net
Am i one the only one who thinks this "COMICS ARE DEAD" click bait videos are out of hand?
I agree, but I think the usual suspects make 'em because people watch 'em, and no other real reason. Even a channel I've come to respect like ClownfishTV can't resist the siren call of YouTube shekels for clickbait. A few months ago it was endless sperging about Ms. Flat Ass as Captain Marvel.

And yeah, I find myself watching them. Even as I know 95% of what is said before the video starts. Gotta have something in the background as I'm dragging my sorry ass through Terraria. Will I beat the Moon Lord this time? Meh, probably not.

Then again, I will say I've completely lost interest in MechRandom42 and YellowFlash, I think I'm still subscribed to both, but I doubt I've watched any content from either in 2020. (I turn off all notifications because they annoy me. Is it that hard to pull up your subscriber feed, people?)

And lately YBZ is starting to bore me. I guess I can only hear about breakfast burritos followed by a five minute shill before five minutes of actual content for so long.

Dunno, maybe I'm the ol' canary in a coal mine for videos of this sort?

Marvel and DC will still be around because the same people who complain about "muh mainstream" will still watch the movies and buy the games or buy the comics for the hate reviews. It's ying and yang, without the sjw comics most of cg channels wouldn't make it to 10k subs. Like for past 3 years there's a click bait antisjw channel saying "Marvel and dc dead?!" But in reality they'll be here for another 100 years. With the amount of money they make from tv shows, movies, toys, and video games they'll probably survive this.
I don't think anyone is disputing any of this, except maybe that there will be comics around? The furthest I've seen anyone go is to point out that comic books as an industry is dying. Certainly the current management at AT&T is even less invested historically in media properties than Time-Warner was, and with DC as the Pepsi to Marvel's Coca-Cola they're not even holding the best cards in the game.

Hell, CBS/Viacom is looking to dump Simon & Schuster. And this is not only a profitable company, it is a prestigious one as well. Way more so than a DC Comics. Gotta fund the next installment in Star Trek: Picard or whatever, I guess. But I kind of take this as some sort of bias against dead tree media in the upper echelons of the managerial elite. (Read yer James Burnham.)

But I do expect more farming ips to idw or doing a huge overhaul. But all of these channels saying comics are dead but at the end of the day they'll still buy the products like the comsoomers they are.
Except I don't think the smaller companies like Boom!, IDW, Image, etc., survive this.

Or at any rate don't do so without a sugar daddy willing to underwrite losses forever for years. Which could happen, I guess, but I wouldn't bet on it. Jeff Bezos buying the Washington Post is one thing. XYZ tech gooruu buying IDW and telling his buddies about owning the company that prints GI Joe comics would hardly bring the same cachet in the circles these people aspire to travel in.

Would shipping the artwork overseas to places like the Philippines be possible? Hell, the writing? Would the audience for Western capeshit go along with it? Less expense and no embarrassing Twitter sperg outs at any rate.

verissimus

kiwifarms.net
Am i one the only one who thinks this "COMICS ARE DEAD" click bait videos are out of hand? Marvel and DC will still be around because the same people who complain about "muh mainstream" will still watch the movies and buy the games or buy the comics for the hate reviews. It's ying and yang, without the sjw comics most of cg channels wouldn't make it to 10k subs. Like for past 3 years there's a click bait antisjw channel saying "Marvel and dc dead?!" But in reality they'll be here for another 100 years. With the amount of money they make from tv shows, movies, toys, and video games they'll probably survive this. But I do expect more farming ips to idw or doing a huge overhaul. But all of these channels saying comics are dead but at the end of the day they'll still buy the products like the comsoomers they are.
This certainly wasn't quite what I wanted to say a few days ago, but it definitely encapsulates some of the points and sentiments I wanted to make. It it simply way too early for CG/anti-SJW people to celebrate the incoming downturn of mainstream comics in the United States. If anything, to be quite frank, I think the future looks bleaker for CG assuming that the comic book industry essentially starts making "graphic novels" instead of single issue comics something that CG can't compete with considering pretty much all of them can't even put out a single issue comic within a year.

Reactions: Zigzag

Detrogen

Senior Citizen Virgin
kiwifarms.net
This certainly wasn't quite what I wanted to say a few days ago, but it definitely encapsulates some of the points and sentiments I wanted to make. It it simply way too early for CG/anti-SJW people to celebrate the incoming downturn of mainstream comics in the United States. If anything, to be quite frank, I think the future looks bleaker for CG assuming that the comic book industry essentially starts making "graphic novels" instead of single issue comics something that CG can't compete with considering pretty much all of them can't even put out a single issue comic within a year.
Price-wise, DC would certainly have them beat since most of their TPBs retail at about 16.99 (Marvel’s tend to be more expensive for reasons I cannot fathom) as opposed to CG’s 25 dollar minimum.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It's still quite possible that when faced with weeks of loss and no ability to put money on a minor branch like what DC and Marvel are to WB and Disney, they might just say fuck it and dissolve them since their only major worth is IP anyways.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Price-wise, DC would certainly have them beat since most of their TPBs retail at about 16.99 (Marvel’s tend to be more expensive for reasons I cannot fathom) as opposed to CG’s 25 dollar minimum.
People don't want to buy wokeshit. They're not going to buy it in any format.

• Agree
Reactions: KingofNothing

Nef Anyo

THE POWER OF THE VOID COMPELS YOU!
kiwifarms.net
Except I don't think the smaller companies like Boom!, IDW, Image, etc., survive this.

Or at any rate don't do so without a sugar daddy willing to underwrite losses forever for years. Which could happen, I guess, but I wouldn't bet on it. Jeff Bezos buying the Washington Post is one thing. XYZ tech gooruu buying IDW and telling his buddies about owning the company that prints GI Joe comics would hardly bring the same cachet in the circles these people aspire to travel in.
Yeah, I have to wonder if any of the smaller publishers will survive this, too.

IDW is practically DOA and unless Hasbro swoops in and becomes their sugar daddy (much in the same way Disney is to Marvel), I'd expect them to be toast come 2021, or at least, drop publishing efforts and focus solely on television/film production, as Locke and Key got renewed for a second season on Netflix. They already publish a lot of Hasbro's major original properties, so them becoming a subsidary of Hasbro is probably their best shot for survival... however, IDW's antics with alienating customers to the point of Hasbro themselves stepping in to slap IDW's shit in is the spanner in the works.

Fantagraphics may survive on the sole basis that they can be sold in a book store like Barnes and Noble or local mom 'n pop shops. They tend to be the more artsy-fartsy books, so unless they suddenly lose one of their big tentpoles (like Love and Rockets), they'll be fine.

Boom is another wild card: they have some cult favorite licensed properties (Jim Henson stuff, Power Rangers, etc) and some decently popular original IPs; both of which get good traction in trades via the book stores, but I foresee some financial struggles for them in the year ahead.

Dark Horse is practically a dead man walking now: with Disney buying 20th Century Fox, they basically lost their major licensed IPs that they sometimes do comics for (including losing Buffy to Boom, iirc), especially since Star Wars was THE thing keeping them solvent for decades up until Disney bought Lucasfilm. The only original Dark Horse character that's well known by normies is Hellboy, but they only care about the Guillermo Del Toro movies and the recent celluloid abortion of a Hellboy movie did the series no favors. Their other creator-owned IPs.... yeah. I think it's been said elsewhere, but they only things they really have going for them right now are publishing art books and manga translations.

Image has enough Walking Dead bux (and Saga bux) to keep them afloat for a while, and they are valuable as an IP farm for Hollywood crap that doesn't have anything to do with capeshit. They'll be fine.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Elwood P. Dowd