Dragon Ball Thread - Includes Z and Super (and GT if you really want to talk about that); also includes Abridged

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
Based on what I know, hbi2k left on his own rather than get kicked out, because he wanted to do his own stuff, but you're not necessarily wrong in that he may've been pressured out. So far, though, there's no evidence of foul play anyone can find.
Seems weird, unless it was some emergency you'd think he would have finished some of his work with them beforehand and had a proper send off.

Code Lyoko

I'd rather not talk about it
kiwifarms.net
Can't say I'm surprised at all. When they announced the shorts and decided not to do the Bojack movie it was clear they had very little interest doing the Buu saga. Frankly I'm not broken up about it since DBZA quality started going down hill during the Perfect Cell arc.

Fougaro

Glow in the dark K/DA Popstar
kiwifarms.net
(...) or KaiserNeko is just throwing another fit again and TFS has decided they had enough of his bullshit.
To be fair to them, KaiserNeko is in my opinion overdue for his own thread.

Considering how long an episode of an abridged series takes to make, probably for the best.
It took them longer to make some "abridged" funny haha videos to the Cell saga than it took Toei to create the entirety of Dragon Ball Z from scratch! I'm impressed.

PopRocks

WANNA BEEE done with this bs
kiwifarms.net
It took them longer to make some "abridged" funny haha videos to the Cell saga than it took Toei to create the entirety of Dragon Ball Z from scratch! I'm impressed
Even better, Toei made thier own abridged version ann not only did they get through to the Cell saga, but also the buu saga too. In less then half the time even.

UnclePhil

Becoming my parents. Get off my lawn.
kiwifarms.net
This sucks, but it was evident the end was on its way. If their burnout over Bojack wasn't a sign it was over, then whatever was left of Fair Use recognition dying out, YouTube being the only, and worst, real place to still do this sort of thing, and the mass amount of projects they promoted as compensation for their Patrons during the indefinite hiatus (ZShorts + Abridged + the JoJo's thing), that was it. It was coming to a close.

They were straining themselves making a decision over it, and you could hear their mental health cracking even if they didn't sperg about it. That indecision is going to cost them, however. The comments on their Patreon post link are nothing but page after page about how they ripped off their fans, I'm unsubscribing, good riddance assholes, etc.

Last edited:

X-Shaped Weeaboo

Not another anime avatar!
kiwifarms.net
This sucks, but it was evident the end was on its way. If their burnout over Bojack wasn't a sign it was over, then whatever was left of Fair Use recognition dying out, YouTube being the only, and worst, real place to still do this sort of thing, and the mass amount of projects they promoted as compensation for their Patrons during the indefinite hiatus (ZShorts + Abridged + the JoJo's thing), that was it. It was coming to a close.

They were straining themselves making a decision over it, and you could hear their mental health cracking even if they didn't sperg about it. That indecision is going to cost them, however. The comments on their Patreon post link are nothing but page after page about how they ripped off their fans, I'm unsubscribing, good riddance assholes, etc.
This is going to sound incredibly mean, but it needs to be said: TFS did this to themselves.

Yugioh the Abridged series is still going on and it can be argued that SAO: Abridged did what TFS took years to do in more than half the amount of time and episodes with nowhere near the amount of work and budget. And, honestly? Both I find myself returning to more than Cell Saga Abridged. After a while, TFS just felt like it was trying too hard. The songs, the writing, the drama, the amount of emotion put into the show...it all started getting predictable and bland. Sometimes they had a good joke but it was clear that they were trying to tell a better story than the source material despite all the lip service they paid to the original series saying otherwise. (Actions vs Words every time.)

That made the show come off as "trying too hard" for me, and in the meantime their best still wasn't as good as what they had in Freeza Abridged or the handful of movies. Instead Cell Abridged turned into this overproduced, overwritten, overly-emotional drag that overstayed it's welcome. (At least to me.) I was mostly glad that Cell ended because I was hoping the Buu Saga would be a return to form, but now that's not going to happen because even if they weren't afraid of Toei retaliation, they burned themselves out on shit that didn't matter.

They didn't need to spend money/waste production with covers of old songs from the show/meme songs for their movies. (The Hamilton Parody and English cover of Unmei no Hi are fucking garbo, thanks for that TFS) They didn't have to spend so much time and effort with a Let's Play Channel with the gimmick mostly being gameplay covered IN-CHARACTER (because that wouldn't get old). The DBZ Shortz look awful and nobody asked for something so mundane and 2008 Machinma-esque. They certainly didn't have to merchandise the whole damn franchise, or at least selectively merchandise products every now and again like the other popular Abridged series do and not every other fucking month with every type of fucking product under-the-sun. The honest-to-God never had to bother with franchising themselves even, especially when their income is directly based off an existing property, and I don't even know if there's a point in going on.

But they did all of this. Was there some passion. Probably. Was money the prime motivating factor behind doing all of it? Absolutely. No fucking contest. The TFS went and cashed out a bunch of checks at the height of the series popularity and decided to keep going as long as they could, adding more and more superfluous shit to come off as official when it was clear the majority of their fanbase only cared about the show. And in the end, their overbaked finale which they're so proud of is (comparatively) dragging along compared to their stuff during the Freeza Saga.

No shit they're burnt out. No shit they're out of idea. They blew their load on all this stupid shit that anyone who isn't just riding the hype thinks is sub-par at best and now they have very little to show for it. TFS has had an obvious air of self-importance for years and I feel like this is just the culmination of that. They think we're there for TFS but we're not. TFS is cringy, unfunny, and they have annoying social media presence that people try to ignore. No, people were here for DBZA. Obviously. But unlike other, better Abridged series, they couldn't just have their golden goose.

SAO: Abridged did the whole "Write the original show but better" thing with a lot more tact and they did it without taking 20 centuries and baiting it's audience with meaningless crap nobody asked for. TFS only has themselves to blame for flying so fucking close to the sun.

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is going to sound incredibly mean, but it needs to be said: TFS did this to themselves.

Yugioh the Abridged series is still going on and it can be argued that SAO: Abridged did what TFS took years to do in more than half the amount of time and episodes with nowhere near the amount of work and budget. And, honestly? Both I find myself returning to more than Cell Saga Abridged. After a while, TFS just felt like it was trying too hard. The songs, the writing, the drama, the amount of emotion put into the show...it all started getting predictable and bland. Sometimes they had a good joke but it was clear that they were trying to tell a better story than the source material despite all the lip service they paid to the original series saying otherwise. (Actions vs Words every time.)

That made the show come off as "trying too hard" for me, and in the meantime their best still wasn't as good as what they had in Freeza Abridged or the handful of movies. Instead Cell Abridged turned into this overproduced, overwritten, overly-emotional drag that overstayed it's welcome. (At least to me.) I was mostly glad that Cell ended because I was hoping the Buu Saga would be a return to form, but now that's not going to happen because even if they weren't afraid of Toei retaliation, they burned themselves out on shit that didn't matter.

They didn't need to spend money/waste production with covers of old songs from the show/meme songs for their movies. (The Hamilton Parody and English cover of Unmei no Hi are fucking garbo, thanks for that TFS) They didn't have to spend so much time and effort with a Let's Play Channel with the gimmick mostly being gameplay covered IN-CHARACTER (because that wouldn't get old). The DBZ Shortz look awful and nobody asked for something so mundane and 2008 Machinma-esque. They certainly didn't have to merchandise the whole damn franchise, or at least selectively merchandise products every now and again like the other popular Abridged series do and not every other fucking month with every type of fucking product under-the-sun. The honest-to-God never had to bother with franchising themselves even, especially when their income is directly based off an existing property, and I don't even know if there's a point in going on.

But they did all of this. Was there some passion. Probably. Was money the prime motivating factor behind doing all of it? Absolutely. No fucking contest. The TFS went and cashed out a bunch of checks at the height of the series popularity and decided to keep going as long as they could, adding more and more superfluous shit to come off as official when it was clear the majority of their fanbase only cared about the show. And in the end, their overbaked finale which they're so proud of is (comparatively) dragging along compared to their stuff during the Freeza Saga.

No shit they're burnt out. No shit they're out of idea. They blew their load on all this stupid shit that anyone who isn't just riding the hype thinks is sub-par at best and now they have very little to show for it. TFS has had an obvious air of self-importance for years and I feel like this is just the culmination of that. They think we're there for TFS but we're not. TFS is cringy, unfunny, and they have annoying social media presence that people try to ignore. No, people were here for DBZA. Obviously. But unlike other, better Abridged series, they couldn't just have their golden goose.

SAO: Abridged did the whole "Write the original show but better" thing with a lot more tact and they did it without taking 20 centuries and baiting it's audience with meaningless crap nobody asked for. TFS only has themselves to blame for flying so fucking close to the sun.
SAO still takes just as long to come out with episodes though.

Duncan Hills Coffee

Awakes you from a thousand deaths
kiwifarms.net

DBZ Abridged peaked for me at the Freiza Saga. After that it felt like they were struggling to make anything as funny as it was during the Frieza Saga. I can't remember laughing at anything that hard during the Cell Saga, it just felt distinctly less funny. The only thing I really liked were those edits of various anime characters fighting Cell (my personal favorite was Kenshiro) but even then it was more amusing than gut-busting hilarious.

And I think for me this is why I don't care so much about current TFS. They haven't been that funny in a very long time for me (fuck, how long ago was Episode 30? That was the last episode I really liked). I never checked out any of their other stuff because that's not why I was there, but even the stuff I was there for started getting stale.

RealtreeByGod

kiwifarms.net
They unceremoniously kicked out hbi2k (be glad if someone knows the story behind it) that completely ruined their DnD campaign as he was the best source of jokes.
The only detail anyone has ever said regarding hbi2k, was that Kaiser and Lani bought out his shares of TFS Enternainment LLC after they had a "disagreement over how to run the company", it was on Ben's twitter. He moved away from Dallas soon after, so it may have been less than amicable.

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
double snip
Honestly, I think it mostly just boils down to one simple question: why would you watch a parody of DragonBall Z with almost no jokes and lampooned versions of the characters from the original when you could just watch DragonBall Z?

At least SomethingWitty actively takes steps to improve the source material while still keeping the humor at the forefront because, at the end of the day, SAO Abridged is still a fan-based parody of SAO. Whereas TFS started over-expanding, franchising their business, and they started to get such delusions of grandeur from working with corporate entites like Funimation that their egos just got too inflated for their own good. Suddenly humor became too good for them, and the series needed to become a sanitized "celebration of DragonBall" rather than just a buncha guys fuckin' around in Texas trying to make jokes about a series they all liked; more storylines, "higher quality" animation, we gotta be uber-super-cereal in a series where Yamcha necks himself, a fatass slug drank a planet's water because he's fat, and where Piccolo talks to his one singular friend in the whole wide world: Tom from MySpace.

Meanwhile their channel's floundering in the 20k-50k view range because, shocker, people don't really want to see your garbage CGI attempt to remake DragonBall in your own perfect image, or a podcast that's gonna last for 20 episodes and then be cancelled swiftly. Lest we forget TFS Gaming, FourStarBento, Super Knockoff VS., and so much more. But if dare to admit something's wrong, their Twitter clout-chasers will cancel you because how dare you tell them to make more of the thing you like and stop making worse content that your fans already hate, that's HARASSMENT.

...Can't there just be one show that doesn't ruin itself by pushing themselves so far up their own asses and going corporate? Just once?

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
And the final nail in the coffin has arrived.

EDIT: Also Jesus Christ, what the hell is with these YouTube videos and them sounding like they're on the verge of tears while speaking to the audience in dark lighting where you can barely see ANYTHING? Which is doubly juxtaposed by the switching professional camera angles. Like, the fuck.

Last edited:

Pepito

I don't want to set the world on fire...
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Also Jesus Christ, what the hell is with these YouTube videos and them sounding like they're on the verge of tears while speaking to the audience in dark lighting where you can barely see ANYTHING? Which is doubly juxtaposed by the switching professional camera angles. Like, the fuck.
I have no idea but maybe for some this whole deal is very emotional...? I don't know. Been following DBZA for some good 8 years and this was not only hinted at the end of EP 60 but also kind of expected of them. Meh. I've already grew out of it.

Aaaaaaand unsusbscribed.

RejectedLynx

kiwifarms.net
I got into DBZA through Lani and YYHA. Back then, it was hilarious to me and it was a close friend's favorite anime so I watched it with them. It was cute, not the best written and some voices he made were obviously not his strong suit, but he was good at what he did and I thought he had talent. When I first got into DBZA, it was a few episodes in but not too bad. Interesting and eh, funny here and there. Nothing too out of the ordinary or stellar - but a good way to pass the time and eat a small bag of chips or something.

However, I didn't realize the turbo autism half these idiots had until I found their social medias. If they're not obnoxious, they're furries, have TDS, or some stupid drama they overshare about. As much as I like the product (And hell, even if Lani is a political sperg, I still admit he has way more talent in voices than I could ever have.) - these people are their own worst enemies. Obviously, they want to make any passion project into a money maker - because you want to make money doing your passion projects.

But watching that over-simper(y) video just - it was the same over the top script with no answers that is literally every youtube apology ever. The point of these videos is to apologize and not lose face. You obviously cared more about the camera angles than making a coherent apology. - at least, that's my opinion. I have no foot in the race for any of these people - but I will say, it had merit in existing and may it finally die in peace.

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
And the final nail in the coffin has arrived.

EDIT: Also Jesus Christ, what the hell is with these YouTube videos and them sounding like they're on the verge of tears while speaking to the audience in dark lighting where you can barely see ANYTHING? Which is doubly juxtaposed by the switching professional camera angles. Like, the fuck.
Jesus ... KaiserNeko sounds like the biggest bitch here.

I'm a fan of DBZ: Abridged ... But my god, they are laying it on thick here. Am I supposed to feel sorry for them or something? They've made money and careers out of somebody else's intellectual property. If they're burnt out from doing this for 12 years, then fine-- they're burnt out. No need to force tears on camera.

These are probably the type of guys who would call everyone else manbabies, am I right?