Dragon Ball Thread - Includes Z and Super (and GT if you really want to talk about that); also includes Abridged

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They unceremoniously kicked out hbi2k (be glad if someone knows the story behind it) that completely ruined their DnD campaign as he was the best source of jokes.
I wouldn't be surprised if it were a case of "his being funnier than us makes the rest of us look bad."

Gravityqueen4life

i am full but i must eat.
kiwifarms.net
And the final nail in the coffin has arrived.

EDIT: Also Jesus Christ, what the hell is with these YouTube videos and them sounding like they're on the verge of tears while speaking to the audience in dark lighting where you can barely see ANYTHING? Which is doubly juxtaposed by the switching professional camera angles. Like, the fuck.
the comment section is absolute cringe. makes the people in there look like abused house wives. abridge stopped being funny after the freiza saga when it decided to take itself more seriously as a re-telling of the dragonball z dub but done "right". after the hole vic mignogna drama, cant say im really sad about this. the people behind this are pretty scummy.

Still Anonymous For This

I've never even been to Vienna.
kiwifarms.net
And the final nail in the coffin has arrived.

EDIT: Also Jesus Christ, what the hell is with these YouTube videos and them sounding like they're on the verge of tears while speaking to the audience in dark lighting where you can barely see ANYTHING? Which is doubly juxtaposed by the switching professional camera angles. Like, the fuck.
Please. This was a really hard decision, that took us over a year of taking your money while promising we would deliver a product you wanted, for us to make. Don't we sound incredibly sad and upset while reading this script?

Wait. You think we're faking this? Fuck off. Who do you think we are? Voice actors?

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
You know what I think would be a good gesture to the fans of this series while Team FourStar could still (m)ilk the cow for a little bit longer? If they remastered the earlier episodes that didn't use the superior Dragon Box DVD footage.

That would be a pretty courteous and positive sendoff to the fans, I'd say. Definitely better than two of the people blubbering on camera, pretending to act sad about it. The way they're ending it just seems so thankless, conceited, and unceremonious? There's a way to be honest on camera about feeling burnt out without trying to pretend it's like a funeral, lol. The whole video had a very off-putting "Feel sorry for us!" tone to it. They've officially joined the ranks of every other self-absorbed YouTuber out there.

Just watch: Some fans are going to try to pick up where TeamFourStar left off, and TFS will have the most exceptional reaction to it. How ironic would it be if they tried to copyright strike other fans who are trying to pick up KaiserNeko's slack? Wouldn't put it past them!

Last edited:

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The way they're ending it just seems so thankless, conceited, and unceremonious?
Thankless is definitely the word I'd use now that you mention it. Especially after how long they've milked their patrons, who are understandably pissed.
Just watch: Some fans are going to try to pick up where TeamFourStar left off, and TFS will have the most exceptional reaction to it. How ironic would it be if they tried to copyright strike other fans who are trying to pick up KaiserNeko's slack? Wouldn't put it past them!
I knew I couldn't be the only person to have thought about this, but in all earnest, TFS fans seem like the type to go along with the funeral vibe and leave it for dead. I'd even wager that TFS fanboys would do everything in their power to tear it down if someone were to try.

• Agree
Reactions: Bunny Tracks

StarkRavingMad

kiwifarms.net
Thankless is definitely the word I'd use now that you mention it. Especially after how long they've milked their patrons, who are understandably pissed.

I knew I couldn't be the only person to have thought about this, but in all earnest, TFS fans seem like the type to go along with the funeral vibe and leave it for dead. I'd even wager that TFS fanboys would do everything in their power to tear it down if someone were to try.
Well, if someone was able to pick up Papa Franku's torch without much backlash (that guy has over a quarter of a million subs as of now), then I think that anything is possible.

I can see a vocal portion of TFS fanboys trying to shoot it down if someone were to continue DBZA ... But I think that the fans who are normies would be open to more content, honestly.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I honestly hope someone tries to continue the series. I really wanna see someone try to abridge the Buu Saga. I was really looking forward to it.
It would probably end up as a collage of shitty Youtube clips strung together and voiced by newbs with garbage mics like this.
1581324324605.png

You just know that's exactly how an upstart abridged Buu saga would realistically go. The question is, would TFS be big enough dicks to personally disavow it on Twitter?

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
This is going to sound incredibly mean, but it needs to be said: TFS did this to themselves.

Yugioh the Abridged series is still going on and it can be argued that SAO: Abridged did what TFS took years to do in more than half the amount of time and episodes with nowhere near the amount of work and budget. And, honestly? Both I find myself returning to more than Cell Saga Abridged. After a while, TFS just felt like it was trying too hard. The songs, the writing, the drama, the amount of emotion put into the show...it all started getting predictable and bland. Sometimes they had a good joke but it was clear that they were trying to tell a better story than the source material despite all the lip service they paid to the original series saying otherwise. (Actions vs Words every time.)

That made the show come off as "trying too hard" for me, and in the meantime their best still wasn't as good as what they had in Freeza Abridged or the handful of movies. Instead Cell Abridged turned into this overproduced, overwritten, overly-emotional drag that overstayed it's welcome. (At least to me.) I was mostly glad that Cell ended because I was hoping the Buu Saga would be a return to form, but now that's not going to happen because even if they weren't afraid of Toei retaliation, they burned themselves out on shit that didn't matter.

They didn't need to spend money/waste production with covers of old songs from the show/meme songs for their movies. (The Hamilton Parody and English cover of Unmei no Hi are fucking garbo, thanks for that TFS) They didn't have to spend so much time and effort with a Let's Play Channel with the gimmick mostly being gameplay covered IN-CHARACTER (because that wouldn't get old). The DBZ Shortz look awful and nobody asked for something so mundane and 2008 Machinma-esque. They certainly didn't have to merchandise the whole damn franchise, or at least selectively merchandise products every now and again like the other popular Abridged series do and not every other fucking month with every type of fucking product under-the-sun. The honest-to-God never had to bother with franchising themselves even, especially when their income is directly based off an existing property, and I don't even know if there's a point in going on.

But they did all of this. Was there some passion. Probably. Was money the prime motivating factor behind doing all of it? Absolutely. No fucking contest. The TFS went and cashed out a bunch of checks at the height of the series popularity and decided to keep going as long as they could, adding more and more superfluous shit to come off as official when it was clear the majority of their fanbase only cared about the show. And in the end, their overbaked finale which they're so proud of is (comparatively) dragging along compared to their stuff during the Freeza Saga.

No shit they're burnt out. No shit they're out of idea. They blew their load on all this stupid shit that anyone who isn't just riding the hype thinks is sub-par at best and now they have very little to show for it. TFS has had an obvious air of self-importance for years and I feel like this is just the culmination of that. They think we're there for TFS but we're not. TFS is cringy, unfunny, and they have annoying social media presence that people try to ignore. No, people were here for DBZA. Obviously. But unlike other, better Abridged series, they couldn't just have their golden goose.

SAO: Abridged did the whole "Write the original show but better" thing with a lot more tact and they did it without taking 20 centuries and baiting it's audience with meaningless crap nobody asked for. TFS only has themselves to blame for flying so fucking close to the sun.
You hit the nail on the head, I barely remember anything from the Cell saga, it was both bloated and self-masturbatory.
I think the biggest problem was that their first seasons were done with minimal edits and stream of consciousness writing, this allowed the content to be on point and actually funny. Afterwards they went for fuckton of edits (which either looked aweful or nobody cared for) and full scripts that tried to go beyond a spoof of the anime, which raises the question why not watch the original show instead.

I'll sperg some more on the extra content:
Their LP's were okay, though in recent years it's a lot of dead air. There was a small contrevorsy where they played a Pokemon Nuzlocke (nice for people like me who haven't touch the series it in nearly two decades) where they had a party wipe mid recording. So rather than do the sane action of showing it and doing a poll to either abandon the game, start from the beginning or retry the fight, they grinded off screen and redid the fight. It was of course discovered by Youtube autists and they apologized but continued the LP regardless, which brings the question if they didn't cheat in previous LPs and didn't own to it.
Their DnD sessions were nice, there was good banter and fun hijincks. They had dozens of episodes and progressively got better in their production. Then hbi2k left and they did a new episode where literally "rocks fall everybody dies" and start with a new cast. Needless to say that when you follow a show, having all the characters unceremoniously die off-screen is a shitty move. They could have salvaged the sitation by making the new plot hook of discovering what happened to the original cast, but they immediately stated that everyone is dead so... fuck it.
I would have said that it sucks for the patreon, but if they didn't jump ship during the 2 years it took for TFS to release the finale of the Cell Saga, they wouldn't jump now.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: rotollo

Hatoful Dandy

Minstrel of Sorrow
kiwifarms.net
They should've just held a contest for the Bojack movie by letting it be written by fans and just use the best script that emerged from the fanbase. It'd be sort of a scummy move, but they'd line up for it by the hundred. There's really just no reason to just quit the way they did.
What WAS their whole deal with not doing Bojack all this time?

UnclePhil

Becoming my parents. Get off my lawn.
kiwifarms.net
They were debating whether to do Buu on their old audio podcast (not the current Talkcast Podshow) and that was circa 2015. I wish I could find it for reference, but the entire archive of that podcast has since disappeared and I can't find it preserved anywhere. Kaiser had a meltdown and destroyed it, IIRC, but anyway. They talked about how the characters and the story would make it a chore to abridge and riff.

I disagree. Buu has great potential for comedy inside and outside the source material. Was there not a studio intervention that stopped Toriyama from doing something different? Did Videl not get the horrific shit beaten out of her while thousands watched and did nothing? Does Buu not look like a pink condom ("I was wearing my armor")? Didn't an entire parade of heroes power up to kill Buu, with a big show made of it every time, only to get anticlimactically eaten? You could cut that into a hilarious 20 second montage, easy. Hell, make a joke about Goku wanting to eat himself when Vegito turns into a gumdrop. Videl goes from a badass fighter in Z to a zombified housewife in Super. Do something with that. Super Saiyan 3 is a waste of time. Go there.

The problem is they might have had to devolve back to their older style, with shorter episodes and quicker edits. They would have to focus more on jokes. "This was nigh impossible, guise," is starting to sound more like "We couldn't jerk off for 12 minute episodes and do meta commentary."

The goodbye video was...okay enough. They could have gotten more people involved in front of the camera instead of just Lani and Kaiser, unless these two are pulling a George Lucas and taking credit for everything. It was prewritten and following/expanding the Patreon post, but I want to say they at least gave us something. Compare this to someone like Spoony, who pilfered thousands of dollars and fucked off without a breath of acknowledgment, and it's like night/day.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hot take: the only people on Youtube that understand how the writting of Dragon Ball works are Plague of Gripes and Mistare Fusion. For those who don't know, Plague of Gripes made 4 videos explaning why Dragon Ball's writting is shit using various case examples. Mistare Fusion made an extensive analysis of the whole frachise using the literal original manga in Japanese. Plague is a furry and Mistare it's a little bit of a fanboy of the SW Sequels but their content is interesting. If we are being generous, we can add Masako X that at least has an understanding of the LORE and the characters

The rest try to reason incomprensible, non-sensical and arbitrary power scales, lick Toriyama's balls everytime he pulls off a new transformation, overthink things where they are none pretending like DB is like fucking Lain or Evangelion or they just have clickbait content in general.
The reason why DB had inconsistent writing is because Toriyama was still developing most of the story concepts as he was going with little forward planning beyond the arc he was on at the time. There was never a grand plan in place from beginning to end that formed a perfectly cohesive narrative, so mistakes were bound to happen.

Fougaro

Glow in the dark K/DA Popstar
kiwifarms.net
Sounds like they forgot what the "A" in DBZA stands for...
With all the effort and autism they put in, they should have done their own animated web series.
It would probably end up as a collage of shitty Youtube clips strung together and voiced by newbs with garbage mics like this.
View attachment 1138148
You just know that's exactly how an upstart abridged Buu saga would realistically go. The question is, would TFS be big enough dicks to personally disavow it on Twitter?
You know, speaking of low quality microphones, if Metokur could stop having his period over Corona-chan, him doing a deliberately shitty abridged series of the Buu Saga to dunk on Team Four Star would be a way funnier way to mılk his paypiggies.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
With all the effort and autism they put in, they should have done their own animated web series.
They did, there's a reason you've never heard of it, and the animation for it is horrible.
Sitting through it for the first time by the way, and it is literally just watered-down diet DBZ and it is absolute trash, to the point that they made the protagonist a TFS kid Goku, and the grandparent is a female crane hermit, down to being an assassin with a finger beam.

Last edited:

X-Shaped Weeaboo

Not another anime avatar!
kiwifarms.net
They did, there's a reason you've never heard of it, and the animation for it is horrible.
Sitting through it for the first time by the way, and it is literally just watered-down diet DBZ and it is absolute trash, to the point that they made the protagonist a TFS kid Goku, and the grandparent is a female crane hermit, down to being an assassin with a finger beam.
I remember this being streamed the first time it aired and the twitch chat was absolutely up the wall with how trash they thought this was.

I'm inclined to agree because everything about this cartoon is a dump. The character designs are boring as sin and the animation is so sub-par. (Seriously, I can't be the only one sick of online animations where the majority of it the characters are drawn from the waist up only, am I?)

It's funny because when TFS announced this they seemed to be so proud of it, yet I hear nary a peep about this show from any of the social media.

Well no. It's not funny, actually. It's more annoying than anything else because it shows how bad they are when it comes to original content.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
(Seriously, I can't be the only one sick of online animations where the majority of it the characters are drawn from the waist up only, am I?)
I didn't know this in particular was an ongoing trend but I did notice that this one short had an ongoing habit of reusing the same profile shot for the blonde whenever she spoke any dialog.
Well no. It's not funny, actually. It's more annoying than anything else because it shows how bad they are when it comes to original content.
>Goku ripoff
>Master Shen ripoff
>Bulma/Launch ripoff
>Martial arts ape
>Ki blasts

>Original content

• Agree
Reactions: X-Shaped Weeaboo

OmnipotentStupidity

Bleeding Money at Breakneck Speeds
kiwifarms.net
Well, if someone was able to pick up Papa Franku's torch without much backlash (that guy has over a quarter of a million subs as of now), then I think that anything is possible.

I can see a vocal portion of TFS fanboys trying to shoot it down if someone were to continue DBZA ... But I think that the fans who are normies would be open to more content, honestly.
I honestly hope someone tries to continue the series. I really wanna see someone try to abridge the Buu Saga. I was really looking forward to it.
View attachment 1138148
Here's the biggest problem with developing a brand-new continuation from scratch:

Even if their mic quality was pitch-perfect, the voices sounded dead-on to their TFS counterparts, and the jokes were completely on point for the entirety of the Buu Saga, the one massive hurdle that still needs to be jumped over is Toei. They already had no qualms trying to take down TFS before, even back when they were a huge juggernaut in the YouTube space, on repeat occasions. And even with social media and clout on their side, it would still take them awhile to get the channel back/keep from going over a very fine line established by Toei's adverseness to anything that goes against their established brand.

Now imagine a bunch of upstarts that don't have that cushion, no matter how small it may be, having to deal with those same issues. If they don't falter first and crumble under the pressure from following up TFS's legacy, then the channel will most certainly crumble from the heavy hand of copyright.