Fallout 76 General Thread - Bethesda does it again!

RJ MacReady

cheating bitch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
After doing dragonshouts and dragons in TES5 how are they going to replicate that? Unless it's a 1 to 1 story copy, I don't think it's going to catch the lightning in the bottle that TES5 did.
I always thought they were going to make you the chosen one of Talos and give you Jesus powers since the Thalmor's persecution of the Talosian faith was a major narrative element of Skyrim.

Floop

My suit smells like weed what the hell
kiwifarms.net
And they still pumped it out again and again. How much are you willing to bet that come next generation, they will re-release it again? Another thing between Starfield and TES6.
Come on Skyrim is so good you haven’t paid enough money for it, can I interest you in Skyrim VR for 60 fucking dollars? Or Fallout 4 VR for 60 fucking dollars?
Even Gearbox isn’t free from this sin
9BB6D16F-2391-445C-9D29-5594483B5096.jpeg

I’m not mad. You’re mad.

• Horrifying
Reactions: Zaryiu and Adamska

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Do you really think the NCR Armor is the only thing Bethesda is going to hamfistedly shove into Fallout 76? I expect the legion armor (and Vulpes hat) to be a Fallout 1st items in the next 3 months.
Wouldn't having a visible badge of being a Bethesda paypig just be an invitation for everyone to bully the fuck out of you?

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: BrunoMattei

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Come on Skyrim is so good you haven’t paid enough money for it, can I interest you in Skyrim VR for 60 fucking dollars? Or Fallout 4 VR for 60 fucking dollars?
Even Gearbox isn’t free from this sin
View attachment 1005889
I’m not mad. You’re mad.
Gearbox lost the right to earn money for that franchise the moment they embezzled money and staff that was supposed to go to Alien: Colonial Marines into it. They took what could've been to Aliens that Isolation was to Alien and fucking killed it with neglect for fucking Borderlands.
Wouldn't having a visible badge of being a Bethesda paypig just be an invitation for everyone to bully the fuck out of you?
At this point if you're still trying to defend and autistically play 76, you might as well get the shit bullied out of you, because your actions enable shitty business practices like pay to win, lootboxes, and so much more. Paypigs like these cucks and the EA Sports mongos in Europe need to be bullied IRL too IMO.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, but people are already into that apparently - as evidenced by the NCR Riot Armor.

The question is which scenario is more likely, though.
A) Bethesda tries to make Fallout 1st a more attractive platform and designs new clothing/armor exclusively for the people using the service
or
B) Bethesda tries to make Fallout 1st a more attractive platform and locks more already existing armor behind the service (including all Legion/NCR armors, plus whatever else they can extract from New Vegas).

I'm leaning towards B.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, but people are already into that apparently - as evidenced by the NCR Riot Armor.

The question is which scenario is more likely, though.
A) Bethesda tries to make Fallout 1st a more attractive platform and designs new clothing/armor exclusively for the people using the service
or
B) Bethesda tries to make Fallout 1st a more attractive platform and locks more already existing armor behind the service (including all Legion/NCR armors, plus whatever else they can extract from New Vegas).

I'm leaning towards B.
I think there's probably actually something so dumb you didn't even think of it, and that's what they'll do.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
I think there's probably actually something so dumb you didn't even think of it, and that's what they'll do.
I hope that's true, because the first "this would be really stupid" idea I had would be for them to import all of the New Vegas armor/weapons and then just say "fuck it" and start importing in Elder Scrolls shit.

Fallout 1st will give you a full set of Daedric Armor, fuck continuity.

Cod of War

kiwifarms.net
And they still pumped it out again and again. How much are you willing to bet that come next generation, they will re-release it again? Another thing between Starfield and TES6.
Eh, I don't see it but it's possible. I really be won't be surprised if RE4 was announced for 9th gen consoles, though.

• Agree
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Floop

My suit smells like weed what the hell
kiwifarms.net
I hope that's true, because the first "this would be really stupid" idea I had would be for them to import all of the New Vegas armor/weapons and then just say "fuck it" and start importing in Elder Scrolls shit.

Fallout 1st will give you a full set of Daedric Armor, fuck continuity.
Well technically it’s canonical if you played the limited time creation club dlc side quest

Chin of Campbell

Fixer-Upper
kiwifarms.net
Alright guys maximum optimism autism time:

Do you think there is more than a 1% chance they will let Obsidian make another Fallout to save face after this? New Vegas didn't sell as well as 3 but is pretty much universally more beloved among people with a working brainstem, which they're clearly acknowledging with the Ranger armor being the defeated, dying gasp of FO76. Do you think there's anything close to a chance at another West Coast Fallout?

Personally I don't think so, but I will dream.

ThinkThankThunk

2020? More like stinky stinky!
kiwifarms.net
Gearbox lost the right to earn money for that franchise the moment they embezzled money and staff that was supposed to go to Alien: Colonial Marines into it. They took what could've been to Aliens that Isolation was to Alien and fucking killed it with neglect for fucking Borderlands.

At this point if you're still trying to defend and autistically play 76, you might as well get the shit bullied out of you, because your actions enable shitty business practices like pay to win, lootboxes, and so much more. Paypigs like these cucks and the EA Sports mongos in Europe need to be bullied IRL too IMO.
You're giving Gearbox (or Randy Pitchford almost exclusively if you want to name names) far too little credit for what they did to Colonial Marines. As somebody who went to PAX East 2012 and got to play the game and follow it's aftermath, I can tell you the story is much worse. Gearbox subcontracted a third party studio to develop Colonial Marines, thus offsetting development costs to them. That's the game everyone at PAX Prime 2011 and PAX East 2012 played, and would be used to market the game that actually came out. Gearbox axed that project as it was finishing and wrote it off as a loss at Sega's expense and kept the money, despite the fact that it wasn't their loss; it was whatever company they sublet the rights to. Gearbox then rushed out what we now know as ACM in about four months to fulfill the contract and laughed all the way home having killed a studio and bilked Sega out of some ungodly amount of money. These are the reasons Gearbox ended up eating several lawsuits afterwards, but settled out of them because the parties were either too dead or too broke to care to go any further with it.

The story is fucking evil and Randy Pitchford got away with all of it. The more I think about it the more I think Bethesda tried doing the same thing with Fallout: New Vegas but fucked up their strategy by not being as evil as a child molesting fraudster who abuses his crippled son and forces his employees to take part in orgies with kids.

Do you think there is more than a 1% chance they will let Obsidian make another Fallout to save face after this? New Vegas didn't sell as well as 3 but is pretty much universally more beloved among people with a working brainstem, which they're clearly acknowledging with the Ranger armor being the defeated, dying gasp of FO76. Do you think there's anything close to a chance at another West Coast Fallout?

The only people who can adequately write West Coast Fallout are Chris Avellone and Joshua Sawyer, the former of which walked out of Obsidian with half the team after Pillars of Eternity and the later of which has stopped writing for video games altogether. The only studio who could competently produce a Fallout RPG is Black Isle, which up until 2013 was still mostly intact in Obsidian. They've since dissolved almost completely, and you can tell.

Take a look at the shit Obsidian has pumped out since PoE: does anyone remember Tyranny? How about the not-sequel to Planescape: Torment? Of course not, because they're cobbled together by an inexperienced husk of a team without a concrete vision. As I said, I believe New Vegas was only allowed to exist because Bethesda wanted a write-off. For Avellone and Sawyer though it was about giving closure to the story and characters that Bethesda forced them to destroy when the company bought the IP and killed Van Buren mere weeks from launch. They have nothing left to say in the original world of Fallout - the stories and the characters have completed their arc. Anything after more would be dribble spewed out by the art school dropouts infesting the corpse of Obsidian; an insult to the franchise that came before it. That would be only if Bethesda was willing to hand over the IP again to boot, which will never happen.

The only new thing I'd be happy to see from Fallout at this point is Tactics 2, overseen by Avellone and developed by the Mutant: Year Zero team or something. The Midwest of Tactics is isolated from the legacy of the west coast games, as well as the awful shitshow Bethesda has made on the east coast. Otherwise, all I could ever want is a fully playable version of Fallout 3/Van Buren as it was before Bethesda shitcanned it. The assets are all out there; all that it needs is a working engine to put it all in, and if Bethesda wasn't so obnoxiously protective of their terrible vision for the franchise they could have one of the dev teams being wasted on making F76 emotes or shitty mobile Elder Scrolls game put it together in a couple of months.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net

Obsidian (as it pretains to New Vegas) doesn't really exist anymore. Josh Sawyer is pretty hands off and Chris Avelonne left the company and took a bunch of talented people with him. New Vegas was released in 2009 - 10 years ago - it's not likely that a lot of people that worked on it still work there. The best Obsidian can do now is Outer Worlds, which isn't really comparable to New Vegas.

Additionally, Obsidian (as it exists now) was recently purchased by Microsoft - meaning that they'll be working on Microsoft IPs or new IPs (that then will belong to Microsoft) for Xbox/PC exclusives. I don't see Bethesda having Fallout : Newer Vegas being an exclusive to any platform, unless there's stupid money involved.

I'd say there's a 0% chance of another Obsidian Fallout because no one at Obsidian could make one anymore. The kind of stuff that would need to happen for New Vegas 2 (or whatever) is really far out there, the only outside chance of a good Fallout happening is for Bethesda to get loose of the current senior team in charge of it (Todd Howard, Emil whatshisface) and replace them with competent people - but all of this shennanigans (Creation Club, Fallout Shelter Lunchboxes, $50 Season Pass, the entirety of Fallout 76) probably makes the bottom line look good and shareholders happy - meaning that Todd is going to be around for a bit.

RJ MacReady

cheating bitch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd say there's a 0% chance of another Obsidian Fallout because no one at Obsidian could make one anymore.
Any studio could make a Fallout game and nearly all of them would do it better than Bethesda. There's no proprietary knowledge required to do it justice besides genuine love for the series and an understanding of its ideas. The reason we won't see another Obsidian Fallout is because Zenimax isn't going to work with a competitor (Microsoft).

ExceptionallyExceptional

I farted in my hazmat suit.
kiwifarms.net
Any studio could make a Fallout game and nearly all of them would do it better than Bethesda. There's no proprietary knowledge required to do it justice besides genuine love for the series and an understanding of its ideas. The reason we won't see another Obsidian Fallout is because Zenimax isn't going to work with a competitor (Microsoft).
Shit, some random autist on this forum could make a better Fallout game. Shit, lemme do it right now.

Set the next game in Hawaii. No super mutants, no mole rats, almost none of the regular Fallout enemies besides ghouls, feral animals and maybe giant mutated insects... oh, and Deathclaws because the lore states that Deathclaws were created by the US Military from the genetics of Jackson's Chameleons, which are endemic to Hawaii. In fact, fuck the regular Deathclaws, make NEW breeds of Deathclaws. Namely, a breed that retains it's chameleon abilities. Have fun hunting that in the jungles!

Basic intro could be that after that war with the Legion, the victorious NCR continued it's expansion, setting it's eyes across the irradiated oceans to an island only read about in prewar books. For the most part it seems to be an uninteresting place.... except that it was the largest reserve of military power in the US. To that end the NCR has assembled an expedition of interested parties. Caravan companies looking for loot to sell, NCR prospectors looking for new territory to stake out, the NCR military looking to reclaim prewar battleships, even the Brotherhood of Steel sends representatives hoping to get their hands of military tech before the others.

Do something Bethesda seems unable to wrap their tiny little brains around: VEHICLES! Make boats a vital part of traveling between Hawaiian island. Hell, make them damn near essential to fighting the mutated horrors that would be infesting the oceans.

And for fuck's sake don't take it too seriously like Bethesda seems to want to do now. Remember the humor the original games under Black Isles had? DO THAT! How about the only surviving BoS member looses his goddamn mind and tries to refound the BoS with a local tribe, only to end up with a buttload of savages worshipping him as a god and cosplaying as BoS members in coconut power armor costumes? How about there's actually fucking Godzilla in the game as an autokill enemy if you sail too far away from the island? Have fun with it, be cheesy and campy and over the top.

Tags
None