Mega Rad Gun Thread -

• We are being DDoS attacked still and 12,000 people are reading about incest. Expect weird errors. Most should go away by refreshing.

Cup Noodle

Too drunk to live. Too autistic to die.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My nine year old is the one most interested in guns and hunting. He is my go to whenever something needs to be shot. I don't even really shoot anymore. I let him do it. He wants to upgrade from shooting varmints with his 20 gauge so this evening I gave him a 30-30 to see if he could handle a deer rifle. That was nothing to him so I got out my 30-06. He said it didn't kick hard enough. The only thing that I thought might slightly edge it out that I have is a 12 gauge with buck shot. He smoked the beer box I gave him to shoot at and wanted something stronger. I guess I need to find someone who can build him a 300 Win Mag youth rifle. If that isn't enough for him he will just have to settle. I need to get him a rifle that isn't too big size wise and spend a bunch of time with him perfecting his aim. He can already stacks holes that cut one another with a 22 and never misses his quarry with his shotgun. Shouldn't be too hard.

Badungus Kabungus

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My nine year old is the one most interested in guns and hunting. He is my go to whenever something needs to be shot. I don't even really shoot anymore. I let him do it. He wants to upgrade from shooting varmints with his 20 gauge so this evening I gave him a 30-30 to see if he could handle a deer rifle. That was nothing to him so I got out my 30-06. He said it didn't kick hard enough. The only thing that I thought might slightly edge it out that I have is a 12 gauge with buck shot. He smoked the beer box I gave him to shoot at and wanted something stronger. I guess I need to find someone who can build him a 300 Win Mag youth rifle. If that isn't enough for him he will just have to settle. I need to get him a rifle that isn't too big size wise and spend a bunch of time with him perfecting his aim. He can already stacks holes that cut one another with a 22 and never misses his quarry with his shotgun. Shouldn't be too hard.
M44 Mosin is about youth-sized, no? Not the most accurate thing out there, though.

Cup Noodle

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
M44 Mosin is about youth-sized, no? Not the most accurate thing out there, though.
I'm super anal about grouping. I'm not so anal that I handload yet though. If I can't consistently put a round on a half dollar at 50 yards, the rifle or ammunition needs to be replaced. He will probably end up with a .308. I don't like .308 because it is basically a neutered 30-06, but it seems it is the biggest cartridge available in factory rifles for children. My longest kill shot so far is 550 yards with my 700 Remington 30-06. I don't use fancy scopes so I had to hold up with my 40mm 10x mag scope. If you use high magnification your target looks too big and you are more likely to miss.

Badungus Kabungus

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm super anal about grouping. I'm not so anal that I handload yet though. If I can't consistently put a round on a half dollar at 50 yards, the rifle or ammunition needs to be replaced. He will probably end up with a .308. I don't like .308 because it is basically a neutered 30-06, but it seems it is the biggest cartridge available in factory rifles for children. My longest kill shot so far is 550 yards with my 700 Remington 30-06. I don't use fancy scopes so I had to hold up with my 40mm 10x mag scope. If you use high magnification your target looks too big and you are more likely to miss.
308 sounds like a fine choice, if you reload then ammo cost isn't as much of an issue. While ago I had a trainer 22LR bolt rifle to match my 308 bolt rifle. Do 40-50 shots from the 22LR, do 10-15 shots from the 308. Repeat all day long or until you run out of ammo. Way easier on the pocket than shooting just 308, and if you have a thinner barrel on the 308 it gives you something to do while you're waiting for it to cool down on a hot day.

Cup Noodle

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Cost isn't an issue. I was writing a huge sperg post about how I hate .308 and it is shit, but fuck it. Kid will get a deer killing gun in the end. I'm getting too tired and drunk to nit pick.

Badungus Kabungus

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah I'm starting to think my next purchase will be at least 300 Win Mag. It will be nice to be able to reach out more. Some extra knockdown power is always good too, got some moose in the woods here.

Cup Noodle

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah I'm starting to think my next purchase will be at least 300 Win Mag. It will be nice to be able to reach out more. Some extra knockdown power is always good too, got some moose in the woods here.
The good thing about 300 Win Mag is that it has enough power behind it to make that .30 caliber bullet fly nearly as straight as a 5.56 and when it hits it fucking hits. I can kill anything I want with my 30-06 because I've been shooting it for years now and it's like my right hand, but more power is more power and I don't like having to follow blood trails. I'm colorblind so I always have to find someone to help me.

Club Sandwich

kiwifarms.net
.308 because it is basically a neutered 30-06
.308 Win is a chemically efficient .30-06. they are effectively identical other than case capacity allowing .30-06 loads to be higher pressure than in the past. the Savage Axis rifle is available in bantam/youth stock lengths in long action receivers with a good selection of cartridges, however for a 9-year-old, "not kicking hard enough" sounds more like he simply wants higher recoil for whatever reason. some 3 or 3.5 inch magnum shells in a 12ga should be "fun" for him.
300 Win Mag
also consider the 7mm Rem Mag, and the .444 Marlin for winterized hunting against large game with thick hides. .338 Norma and .338 Lapua might be a little pricey, same for .375 H&H.

Badungus Kabungus

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anyone handled a Zastava P10? Essentially a Tokarev in 10mm. Based on the M70 pistol which in turn is based on the Tokarev.
7132C805-900A-4771-AEBA-FDF01EAD2366.jpeg

Club Sandwich

kiwifarms.net
Anyone handled a Zastava P10? Essentially a Tokarev in 10mm. Based on the M70 pistol which in turn is based on the Tokarev.
View attachment 2255708
its been in production for a few years now, for a while they weren't even being sold with boxes or brochures due to difficulty in manufacturing them in Serbia. iirc they are the "Z-10" not P-10 unless they changed something somewhere along the line. unlike the M70, they are a lot closer to the TT-33 and are quite a bit overbuilt, similar to the Colt Delta Elite.

Badungus Kabungus

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
its been in production for a few years now, for a while they weren't even being sold with boxes or brochures due to difficulty in manufacturing them in Serbia. iirc they are the "Z-10" not P-10 unless they changed something somewhere along the line. unlike the M70, they are a lot closer to the TT-33 and are quite a bit overbuilt, similar to the Colt Delta Elite.
Ah, I see. Looks like some places call it the P10 but the more common name is the Z10. Seems pretty fun to shoot.

Edit: More video. Looks a bit spicy but not too bad. Guy is comparing it to a .40 S&W. Trigger pull is 2.4kg, not that different from a TT33.

Last edited:

Tour of Italy

Three Favorites, One Clear Choice
kiwifarms.net
So here's some cool shit:

I was cleaning out an old family shed and found a Type 99 Arisaka bring-back from the occupation of Japan. It's rusted to shit and there's nowhere to get ammo, but I wouldn't mind putting up a couple hundred bucks to get it cleaned as a collector piece.

Not exactly the rarest rifle, but it does still have the anti-aircraft sites intact and we've got a personal connection to it since a relative brought it back after the war.

Techpriest

Praise the Machine Spirits
kiwifarms.net
So here's some cool shit:

I was cleaning out an old family shed and found a Type 99 Arisaka bring-back from the occupation of Japan. It's rusted to shit and there's nowhere to get ammo, but I wouldn't mind putting up a couple hundred bucks to get it cleaned as a collector piece.

Not exactly the rarest rifle, but it does still have the anti-aircraft sites intact and we've got a personal connection to it since a relative brought it back after the war.
If it’s got the AA sights, then I’d restore it for sure as a collectors piece. That’s a pretty neat little bit of history.

Thornforg

Thanks for the company.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
One of my friends still carries a 1911 and I feel compelled to give him shit for it all the time. At least it's not a musket I guess. I thought about getting one of those STI(or whatever they rebranded to) 9mms but I honestly cannot justify spending thousands of dollars for a 1911 even if I can get the blue label discounts.

You either like the 1911 or you don't. I love all of my 1911s, but I'm also someone who loves my M1/M14 pattern rifles. Partly due to the amount of personal experience with them. The 1911 is definitely a Boomer carry, more so if it's in .45 as God and his prophet John Moses Browning intended, and if your friend carries it in a shoulder holster then he's almost as much of a Boomer when it comes to carry as I am.