Mega Rad Gun Thread -

Smleman303

kiwifarms.net
Any you had hands-on experience with one of Chiappa's revolvers? I know they're kind of goofy but I've loved the Mateba since I first saw one back in '06.
I do. Have shot the 357 one, fires both 38s and 357s while the mateba requires a spring change to use different ammo. Oddly the one I've handled is load specific depending on the distance, don't know if you handload but that is one thing to factor. Otherwise a good handling gun, lighter than a similar Smith and the recoil impulse is more positive due to the design and results in a reduced muzzle climb. Trigger is good out the box as well.

Thornforg

Thanks for the company.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Any you had hands-on experience with one of Chiappa's revolvers? I know they're kind of goofy but I've loved the Mateba since I first saw one back in '06.
I have a nickel plated Rhino 60DS. Like most novelty guns, it's entirely impractical for most uses when you have something else available, but it's fun to shoot and you'll get a lot of attention from both regular people and fudds at any public/semi-public range you go to. Probably one of my favorite revolvers of all time, and it's priced pretty fairly for the quality, too. IIRC I paid ~$980 for mine.

Particle Bored

I am made out of toothpicks and glue
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm trying to write a story about a dude who shoots vampires with guns, otherwise I'd try some myself. What's comfy for my baby hands won't be the same for the dude. (And ah I remember a few people telling me that too - Brandon Lee always comes to mind :( )

This is useful information and I'll keep it on me for the future (never know when your job asks you to move to a shit area or walk through one, always good to have something on hand for that). It's not what I'm looking for, but it never hurts to know more, I apologize for not specifying as much. Thank you, dude :heart-full: I didn't consider asking a local arms dealer though - we have plenty of those in Florida, and even if I feel a little silly asking about it there for writing purposes, it would be a good idea. :)
I'll just throw out a suggestion for a bad ass unique gun, the Mateba 6 Unica.
(though it may have a point against it in your creative endeavors in that an 'version' of it was used in Ghost in the Shell)

Last edited:

The Dude

Bro, don't even bro, bro.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Here's a unique one that I've always wanted: the Wildey Survivor. In .475 Wildey Magnum, it was the most powerful pistol cartridge handgun up until the .500 S&W came out, and is still only slightly less powerful than the .500 S&W, and is still the most powerful semi-auto handgun. It has an adjustable gas system and can be chambered in .44 AutoMag, .45 WinMag, and .475 Wildey just by changing the barrel. Yes, this is the gun Charles Bronson used in Death Wish 3. An outfit called USA Firearms has bought the manufacturing rights and has worked out most of the issues the older guns had.

Wildey-660x471.jpg53410217_1472621452869117_3378474519743168512_o.jpg53076462_1472621459535783_7174734784839548928_o.jpg10352149_513256838805588_7385936319261648137_n.jpg17016891_969329553198312_8869075693953362141_o.jpg13043683_787952394669363_5223027199221416781_n.jpg

RA-5C Vigilante

Alone, Unarmed, Unafraid.
kiwifarms.net
I have a Budapest (FEG) M.95 stutzen carbine and can confirm that they are fairly unpleasant to shoot. Also likely the least accurate bolt action rifle I have ever fired. It's fun though, in the same way that all short-barreled carbines in full powered rifle rounds are - giant muzzle blast, bullet comes flying out and goes... somewhere roughly in the direction you aimed, big hole. The straight pull action is mechanically interesting, although I'm not really convinced it allows you to fire any faster than a normal turn bolt.

Ammo is actually not super hard to find - PPU makes new production, although it's a little expensive (IME about $24 for a box of 20 rounds). In my area, I also occasionally see old pre-WWII Austrian 8x56R packs, which come in little triangular cardboard boxes of 10 rounds on chargers and look like this:

View attachment 1469400
I've bought these within the past year for as low as $10 each. Although like any old surplus ammo, they have a pretty high misfire rate - I think about 1 in 4 of the rounds I've shot of this type failed to fire, and it's always a little uncomfortable when you pull the trigger and nothing happens and then you just have to sit and wait.

The absolute worst thing about the M.95 is the disassembly. The bolt can only be put in or taken out of the receiver when the internal and external camming surfaces are in the open position, but once the bolt is out of the gun, lightly breathing on it will make it collapse into the closed position. Returning it to the open position frequently requires jamming something into the bolt mechanism to hold the two pieces apart (a US dime is the perfect size).

Edit to add: the real unicorn ammo which I have resigned myself to never finding is 8x50R Siamese for my Type 46. I don't think I'll ever be able to shoot that thing unless I take up hand loading in the future.
Late response but oh god trying to reassemble my M95 was a fucking nightmare. I never want to go through that or force anyone to go through that again. 8x50R Siamese is probably going to be impossible or very difficult i'm afraid. If those magnificent Serbs at PPU don't bother, you know you're boned.

The Dude

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Late response but oh god trying to reassemble my M95 was a fucking nightmare. I never want to go through that or force anyone to go through that again. 8x50R Siamese is probably going to be impossible or very difficult i'm afraid. If those magnificent Serbs at PPU don't bother, you know you're boned.
My mom has an old US Army surplus Krag carbine that was her father's/my grampa's deer rifle. I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning for her because it had been many years since it had been cleaned and oiled. Getting the bolt put back together sure was "fun". Not terribly difficult, but it would have been much more manageable if I had three hands instead of just two.

Reactions: niconiconecro

Molester Stallone

Trust me, I'm a doctor.
kiwifarms.net
My mom has an old US Army surplus Krag carbine that was her father's/my grampa's deer rifle. I took it apart and gave it a good cleaning for her because it had been many years since it had been cleaned and oiled. Getting the bolt put back together sure was "fun". Not terribly difficult, but it would have been much more manageable if I had three hands instead of just two.

A buddy of mine had a sporterized Krag he used for deer hunting when we were teenagers. It was a neat rifle that jump started my interest in milsurps. I remember handling it one night at deer camp and the trap door snapped shut on the web of my hand. Woke up the next morning with a huge blood blister. We still joke about it years later.

Reactions: Prompt Critical

The Dude

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A buddy of mine had a sporterized Krag he used for deer hunting when we were teenagers. It was a neat rifle that jump started my interest in milsurps. I remember handling it one night at deer camp and the trap door snapped shut on the web of my hand. Woke up the next morning with a huge blood blister. We still joke about it years later.
Yep, Krag Bite. Close cousin to Garand Thumb. The Krag is a neat gun. I hope to inherit my grandfather's rifle when my mom passes.

I'd like to get some milsurp rifles some day. I'd really like to get a SAFN/FN-49, Hakim, an M1903, a P17 Enfield, and/or a Kar-98. My dream would be to get an M1918A2 BAR. I've wanted one for ages.

Last edited:

Molester Stallone

Trust me, I'm a doctor.
kiwifarms.net
Yep, Krag Bite. Close cousin to Garand Thumb. The Krag is a neat gun. I hope to inherit my grandfather's rifle when my mom passes.

I'd like to get some milsurp rifles some day. I'd really like to get a SAFN/FN-49, Hakim, an M1903, a P17 Enfield, and/or a Kar-98. My dream would be to get an M1918A2 BAR. I've wanted on for ages.
Never got bit by any of my Garands. Oddly enough I had a close call with one of my SKS rifles once.

The Dude

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Well, I reached out to Freedom Ordnance to ask if they had any firmer idea of when they'd be able to do their next run of FM-9 uppers. They replied that they had no idea when they might be able to do another run, but it likely wouldn't be any sooner than this winter. I decided I wasn't willing to wait that long, especially when they wouldn't allow me to put any kind of down payment to secure my position in the production, so I've used the money I had saved up for it to buy an Aimpoint Comp M4 and KDG Sidelok mount, some more 10rnd mags and new grips for my 1911, and a Browning Buck Mark for my family to shoot. Little Dude still has a hard time holding up his rifle long enough to shoot through a full magazine and struggles to aim with iron sights that have black front and rear sights, especially at indoor ranges. So I had been wanting to get a .22lr pistol with a fiber optic front sight to make it easier for him to aim and improve his marksmanship.

I had originally wanted to get a revolver like the Ruger SP101 so that he would have to take his time and make his shots count, but it has a very heavy trigger pull in double action and he couldn't work the hammer to use it in single action. We looked at the Ruger Single Ten, but he also struggled to work the hammer on it. So we looked at the automatics. I let Mrs. Dude and Little Dude pick out which one we got since it's the "family" gun and they picked out this Buck Mark. Mrs. Dude really enjoyed shooting the Buck Mark we owned in the past, and Little Dude really loved the blue finish and hexagonal holes machined into the barrel. It's got an aluminum frame and barrel, so it's really lightweight which will mean less shaking and fatigue as Little Dude learns to shoot better.

20200805_005848.jpg20200805_005915.jpg20200805_010006.jpg

Foltest

King of Termia and protector of Kfarms
kiwifarms.net
When I was home, I shot with my dad new rifle. Suppressed blazer. Felt fucking great. Straight pull, pistol grip and light as well. What is not to love?

Prompt Critical

apropos-of-nothing
kiwifarms.net
I'd like to get some milsurp rifles some day. I'd really like to get a SAFN/FN-49, Hakim, an M1903, a P17 Enfield, and/or a Kar-98. My dream would be to get an M1918A2 BAR. I've wanted one for ages.
My general rule of thumb is that any of the following features will significantly inflate the base price of a military surplus gun, and the effect is cumulative if several features are present on the same model:

- Made in USA
- Made in Germany, or has "Nazi proof" (Waffenamt code or WaA) stamps
- Factory semi-automatic action (i.e. not a select fire gun chopped into a parts kit and reassembled around an aftermarket semiauto receiver)
- Factory scoped
- Immediately recognizable as a "WWII gun"
- Chambered in common commercial caliber (30-06, 8x57 Mauser, 7.62 NATO, 7.62x39, etc.)

An M1917 is the only thing on your list that I would expect could be found for under ~$1000 in original configuration and good condition (and even those are creeping up in price due to the general skyrocketing costs of all used firearms in the last few months). I have no idea what your financial situation is, but it sounds like you're trying to jump into surplus collecting at the most expensive end of what's commonly available in stores or at shows.

1596734729288.png

Akran

kiwifarms.net
To follow-up with the other poster, become friends with people who are into milsurps. A boomer who is a contractor at my job sold me his late war Nazi stamped K98 for $300. That's a huge steal nowadays. He's also set me up with a deal with one of his friends for a swiss K31 with the soldier tags still in the buttstock, along with 800+ rounds of 7.5x55mm in 2 crates for $650. Like with most collectibles knowing the right people matter. I've also gotten good deals from gun stores just by being a regular and playing buddy buddy. Always know what you want and research it.

niconiconecro

hittin’ the sides.
kiwifarms.net
I took that little 20 gauge I posted about earlier out shooting and I’ve discovered that I really like shooting slugs with it. The only problem I have is that slugs aren’t cheap and it seems like a hassle to hand load slugs.

The Dude

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My general rule of thumb is that any of the following features will significantly inflate the base price of a military surplus gun, and the effect is cumulative if several features are present on the same model:

- Made in USA
- Made in Germany, or has "Nazi proof" (Waffenamt code or WaA) stamps
- Factory semi-automatic action (i.e. not a select fire gun chopped into a parts kit and reassembled around an aftermarket semiauto receiver)
- Factory scoped
- Immediately recognizable as a "WWII gun"
- Chambered in common commercial caliber (30-06, 8x57 Mauser, 7.62 NATO, 7.62x39, etc.)

An M1917 is the only thing on your list that I would expect could be found for under ~$1000 in original configuration and good condition (and even those are creeping up in price due to the general skyrocketing costs of all used firearms in the last few months). I have no idea what your financial situation is, but it sounds like you're trying to jump into surplus collecting at the most expensive end of what's commonly available in stores or at shows.

View attachment 1499987
Hakims and SAFNs can be had for under $1000 if you're patient. And I'm not someone who worries about how much a weapon costs for the most part, so long as it's in good condition. Aside from the Buck Mark I just bought and two .22 rifles, the cheapest gun I own was $1300. $1000 for a gun is not a big deal to me.

Particle Bored

I am made out of toothpicks and glue
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I think this video from 'Not Fucking Around Glowalition' commander Grandmaster Jay needs to be posted here so folks not following the 2020 riots thread can share in appreciating an example of a rare mega-rad German open-bolt bullpup AR15.

Reactions: 1Tonka_Truck

Molester Stallone

Trust me, I'm a doctor.
kiwifarms.net
I think this video from 'Not Fucking Around Glowalition' commander Grandmaster Jay needs to be posted here so folks not following the 2020 riots thread can share in appreciating an example of a rare mega-rad German open-bolt bullpup AR15.

Wow, I've absorbed my limit of stupid for the day. I need a nap.

Prompt Critical

apropos-of-nothing
kiwifarms.net
Hakims and SAFNs can be had for under $1000 if you're patient.
For Hakims that was true a year ago, but I'd be very skeptical you'll find one for under $1000 now unless it is in very poor condition or incomplete. Classic Firearms offered a batch extremely rough "surplus turn-in condition" Hakims (brought into the country from Ethiopia) early this year for $950 + shipping, with no ability to inspect before purchase and no returns. Despite reports that many of them were non-functional or almost entirely devoid of rifling, the shipment sold out in around two weeks. Going rate for them at the most recent RIAC Sporting & Collector auction (Feb 13-16 of this year) was by my estimate around $1000 (it's a little hard to tell because the guns sell in mixed lots, but you can guess if you know the approximate % of the lot's value each gun represents). Both of these were before the massive across the board inflation in used gun prices from coronavirus panic buying + stimulus checks + George Floyd memorial riot panic buying; I would expect the current value for a Hakim in decent condition to be about $1200 now. We'll have a better idea of where prices are settling out nationally when RIAC does their next Sporting & Collector auction in October.

The last time I remember seeing FN-49s of any type for below $1000 - again with the disclaimer that I'm only considering guns in original configuration, with all parts present, and mechanically functional - was probably around 2016-2017, and that was only for the less desirable versions chambered in 7mm or 8mm Mauser (Venezuela, Egypt) or 7.65mm (Argentina not refurbished). Models in 30-06 (Belgium and Luxembourg) or 7.62 NATO (Argentina refurbished) were over $1000 even then. Currently even the "less desirable" FN-49s appear to be going for around $1200-$1400, and the more valuable ones are consistently selling for over $2000.

I won't say it's impossible to find a boomer on Armslist selling one for less because he hasn't kept up with price trends and maybe you can snap it up before someone else does, or otherwise get one for below market value somehow, but I would say it's :optimistic: and I wouldn't bet on that outcome no matter how patient you are.

• Agree
Tags
None