The Linux Thread - The Autist's OS of Choice

I seem to oscillate between Arch and Debian myself, for similar reasons.

Right now I'm currently running Debian Sid. I used to run Testing as a named non-rolling release that I'd upgrade every now and then, but got tired of getting fucked over by freeze. "Oh, you didn't fix this little bug in your package in time for hard freeze? Tough shit, you don't get to be included in the release packages anymore and now Yotsubaaa has to pull your package from Sid if she even wants to use it."

But as you said, even Sid isn't as current as you'd like it to be. So inevitably I'll get to a point where I say "Fuck it! If I'm doing this much source-compiling/configuring/doing all of this extra work to get stuff set up anyway, I'll just reinstall Arch." So that'll be an exhilarating weekend going back through the Arch Beginner's Install Guide (the ArchWiki has to be some of the best documentation ever, by the way), building exactly the system I want brick by brick, having fun messing around with window managers that I haven't tried yet and making the whole system tailored to my exact workflow.

And each time I reinstall Arch I get a bit better at it, but inevitably I'll fuck up a configuration or package installation somewhere. So I'll fix it. Then I'll do that again... and again... and eventually I'll get to a point where I say "Fuck it! I just want this shit to work on the first try, is that so hard? Screw this, I'm going back to Sid."

So I'll reinstall Debian. And the system won't feel as much like it's mine anymore, but soon the Stockholm syndrome will kick in and I stop caring. Until the next time I need to compile a package from source or go hunting through documentation to fix some weird problem I'm having. At which point my never-ending cycle of torment begins anew.
Was thinking about setting up a dual boot system of Arch and Debian, so in case Arch is going haywire, I can just boot into Debian with a stable suit, and not be totally downed by Archtardation. Also I prefer apt/apt-get to pacman.

I have mint on my desktop (which largely stays in the closet these days), Arch with i3wm on my main work and study laptop, and I recently installed Ubuntu on my media laptop. With Ubuntu, I tried to give the default GNOME desktop enviorment an honest try, but I just installed xfce4. xfce is like my dream version of Windows, but I've grown too accustomed to tiling, and being able to switch between windows quickly (finally am able to take notes from audio recordings thanks to it). If anyone knows if xfce4 allows for switching between "snapped" windows like in a tiling window manager, let me know. I was looking though default keybinds of xfce4 yesterday, but couldn't see any.

He Who Points And Laughs

Flavortown Refugee
With Ubuntu, I tried to give the default GNOME desktop enviorment an honest try, but I just installed xfce4. xfce is like my dream version of Windows, but I've grown too accustomed to tiling, and being able to switch between windows quickly (finally am able to take notes from audio recordings thanks to it). If anyone knows if xfce4 allows for switching between "snapped" windows like in a tiling window manager, let me know. I was looking though default keybinds of xfce4 yesterday, but couldn't see any.

Gnome 3 is just clunky. With the 2019.4 Kali, I tried out XFCE again, and it is quite nice. But like you, I am very accustomed to i3 and everything else feels slower. However, there is an elegance to XFCE that I do enjoy. So as of now, I switch between the two.

Arch = i3
Gentoo = i3
Kali = i3 & XFCE

As for using a tiling wm with XFCE, this explains it pretty well.

Yotsubaaa

And I will love you 💗
True & Honest Fan
Was thinking about setting up a dual boot system of Arch and Debian, so in case Arch is going haywire, I can just boot into Debian with a stable suit, and not be totally downed by Archtardation. Also I prefer apt/apt-get to pacman.

I have mint on my desktop (which largely stays in the closet these days), Arch with i3wm on my main work and study laptop, and I recently installed Ubuntu on my media laptop. With Ubuntu, I tried to give the default GNOME desktop enviorment an honest try, but I just installed xfce4. xfce is like my dream version of Windows, but I've grown too accustomed to tiling, and being able to switch between windows quickly (finally am able to take notes from audio recordings thanks to it). If anyone knows if xfce4 allows for switching between "snapped" windows like in a tiling window manager, let me know. I was looking though default keybinds of xfce4 yesterday, but couldn't see any.
What amazing timing for you to reply to that post! I literally just now started my own Arch (re?)installation. Working through the Install Guide, jotting notes down as I go, etc etc. It's the first time I'm setting it up with UEFI too (usually I've just opted for legacy BIOS because I'm a little lazy), so it's been interesting digging into exactly how that works.

Re: xcfe4 tiling, it's been a while since I've looked at xfce but I always remember that its 'tiling' functionality left a lot to be desired, particularly for those of us who've been spoiled by the awesomeness that is i3. I'm not sure if there even is a set of shortcut keys for changing focus between tiled windows in xfwm.

That said, why not just switch out xfwm with i3? Run i3 on top of xfce so you get the all of the goodies of the xfce Desktop Environment, and all of the i3 functionality too (as the blog post that @He Who Points And Laughs posted goes into detail about). I was planning on seeing if I could do something similar with i3 and KDE in the system I'm building now.

He Who Points And Laughs

Flavortown Refugee
What amazing timing for you to reply to that post! I literally just now started my own Arch (re?)installation. Working through the Install Guide, jotting notes down as I go, etc etc. It's the first time I'm setting it up with UEFI too (usually I've just opted for legacy BIOS because I'm a little lazy), so it's been interesting digging into exactly how that works.

Just remember that UEFI needs a FAT filesystem for /boot, not EXT2/3/4.

Last edited:

Yotsubaaa

And I will love you 💗
True & Honest Fan
Just remember that UEFI needs a FAT filesystem for /boot, not EXT2/3/4.
Yep! I made double-sure that I'd created and formatted an EFI /boot partition properly, since I actually went out of my way to delete the old Windows 10 EFI System Partition when I was doing the drive formatting.* I checked everything twice because I'd feel like a massive retard if I'd fucked something like that up by deliberate effort. (And now that I've said that, watch it not boot up when I finish this install.)

*I suppose I could've just used the old Win10 ESP as is. But I was already set on secure-wiping the drives in prep for LUKS before I started anyway, and I wanted my new /boot partition to be a little bigger than the old EFI partition that was already there.

EDIT: Aww yeah, baby! So far so good! Admittedly it didn't boot after I restarted, but that was because it's like 3am in the morning and I'm a few beers deep and I forgot to set the cryptdevice=blahblahblah kernel parameter in the efibootmgr string and it couldn't decrypt the root partition. But it seems to be good now!

Last edited:

He Who Points And Laughs

Flavortown Refugee
I literally just now started my own Arch (re?)installation. Working through the Install Guide, jotting notes down as I go, etc etc. It's the first time I'm setting it up with UEFI too (usually I've just opted for legacy BIOS because I'm a little lazy), so it's been interesting digging into exactly how that works.

Are you able to build to modules for VMware-Player-15.5.1-15018445? It's currently annoying me (in Arch).

vmware-modconfig --console --install-all

He Who Points And Laughs

Flavortown Refugee
I use VirtualBox myself. What kind of errors are you getting during the make (if any)?

vmnet won't build.

Code:
/tmp/modconfig-gvMDDA/vmnet-only/userif.c: In function 'VNetCsumCopyDatagram':
/tmp/modconfig-gvMDDA/vmnet-only/userif.c:571:15: error: 'skb_frag_t' {aka 'const struct bio_vec'} has no member named 'size'
  571 |       if (frag->size > 0) {
      |               ^~
/tmp/modconfig-gvMDDA/vmnet-only/userif.c:575:29: error: 'skb_frag_t' {aka 'const struct bio_vec'} has no member named 'page'; did you mean 'bv_page'?
  575 |   vaddr = compat_kmap(frag->page);
      |                             ^~~~
/tmp/modconfig-gvMDDA/vmnet-only/userif.c:84:36: note: in definition of macro 'compat_kmap'
   84 | #   define compat_kmap(page) kmap((page).p)
      |                                    ^~~~
/tmp/modconfig-gvMDDA/vmnet-only/userif.c:576:49: error: 'skb_frag_t' {aka 'const struct bio_vec'} has no member named 'page_offset'; did you mean 'bv_offset'?
  576 |   tmpCsum = csum_and_copy_to_user(vaddr + frag->page_offset,
      |                                                 ^~~~~~~~~~~
      |                                                 bv_offset
/tmp/modconfig-gvMDDA/vmnet-only/userif.c:577:17: error: 'skb_frag_t' {aka 'const struct bio_vec'} has no member named 'size'
  577 |       curr, frag->size, 0, &err);
      |                 ^~
/tmp/modconfig-gvMDDA/vmnet-only/userif.c:578:23: error: 'skb_frag_t' {aka 'const struct bio_vec'} has no member named 'page'; did you mean 'bv_page'?
  578 |   compat_kunmap(frag->page);
      |                       ^~~~
/tmp/modconfig-gvMDDA/vmnet-only/userif.c:85:40: note: in definition of macro 'compat_kunmap'
   85 | #   define compat_kunmap(page) kunmap((page).p)
      |                                        ^~~~
/tmp/modconfig-gvMDDA/vmnet-only/userif.c:584:15: error: 'skb_frag_t' {aka 'const struct bio_vec'} has no member named 'size'
  584 |   curr += frag->size;
      |               ^~
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:266: /tmp/modconfig-gvMDDA/vmnet-only/userif.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
Just an annoyance. I use vmplayer for a Kali vm for HTB fun.

Yotsubaaa

And I will love you 💗
True & Honest Fan
vmnet won't build.

Code:
/tmp/modconfig-gvMDDA/vmnet-only/userif.c: In function 'VNetCsumCopyDatagram':
/tmp/modconfig-gvMDDA/vmnet-only/userif.c:571:15: error: 'skb_frag_t' {aka 'const struct bio_vec'} has no member named 'size'
  571 |       if (frag->size > 0) {
      |               ^~
/tmp/modconfig-gvMDDA/vmnet-only/userif.c:575:29: error: 'skb_frag_t' {aka 'const struct bio_vec'} has no member named 'page'; did you mean 'bv_page'?
  575 |   vaddr = compat_kmap(frag->page);
      |                             ^~~~
/tmp/modconfig-gvMDDA/vmnet-only/userif.c:84:36: note: in definition of macro 'compat_kmap'
   84 | #   define compat_kmap(page) kmap((page).p)
      |                                    ^~~~
/tmp/modconfig-gvMDDA/vmnet-only/userif.c:576:49: error: 'skb_frag_t' {aka 'const struct bio_vec'} has no member named 'page_offset'; did you mean 'bv_offset'?
  576 |   tmpCsum = csum_and_copy_to_user(vaddr + frag->page_offset,
      |                                                 ^~~~~~~~~~~
      |                                                 bv_offset
/tmp/modconfig-gvMDDA/vmnet-only/userif.c:577:17: error: 'skb_frag_t' {aka 'const struct bio_vec'} has no member named 'size'
  577 |       curr, frag->size, 0, &err);
      |                 ^~
/tmp/modconfig-gvMDDA/vmnet-only/userif.c:578:23: error: 'skb_frag_t' {aka 'const struct bio_vec'} has no member named 'page'; did you mean 'bv_page'?
  578 |   compat_kunmap(frag->page);
      |                       ^~~~
/tmp/modconfig-gvMDDA/vmnet-only/userif.c:85:40: note: in definition of macro 'compat_kunmap'
   85 | #   define compat_kunmap(page) kunmap((page).p)
      |                                        ^~~~
/tmp/modconfig-gvMDDA/vmnet-only/userif.c:584:15: error: 'skb_frag_t' {aka 'const struct bio_vec'} has no member named 'size'
  584 |   curr += frag->size;
      |               ^~
make[2]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:266: /tmp/modconfig-gvMDDA/vmnet-only/userif.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
Just an annoyance. I use vmplayer for a Kali vm for HTB fun.

That's an interesting issue. It seems like they changed member names for skb_frag_t in a recent-ish kernel update (precisely, here) and it's broken some things. Seems like forcibly reinstalling the latest VMware packages should fix it, but the gist I'm getting from my preliminary google-fu is that VMware is often run with all sorts of patches to get it to play nice with the Linux kernel, so extra unlinking/manually removing patch files seems to be necessary too (e.g. as per this guy's post here).

I might try installing VMware myself when I get home from work and have a bit of a play and see how it goes on my end, and see whether I can get the same sort of thing happening. Sorry that I couldn't be more help :(

Piss Clam

Squeeze me.
Back in the day, before linux was around we had something called Santa Cruz Operation.

It was fucking horrible.

Something like 35 floppies and we couldn't keep the PC stable (we were porting a network protocol)...

Other than OS/2 I would say thank you linux from the nightmare that was PC "UN*X"

Kernel panic every hour on the hour...

Last edited:

simulated goat

pleasant goat beauty
I have an obsolete desktop that I run Xubuntu on and my main desktop is dual booted with linux mint cinnamon, but the I suspect the GRUB boot has made my startup unpredictable so I might wind up just reloading windows if I can't fix it and perhaps try again with a different distro or a different machine.

I'm a total idiot when it comes to linux, but I like the sense of accomplishment I feel when I figure out how to make it work.

Yotsubaaa

And I will love you 💗
True & Honest Fan
I have an obsolete desktop that I run Xubuntu on and my main desktop is dual booted with linux mint cinnamon, but the I suspect the GRUB boot has made my startup unpredictable so I might wind up just reloading windows if I can't fix it and perhaps try again with a different distro or a different machine.

I'm a total idiot when it comes to linux, but I like the sense of accomplishment I feel when I figure out how to make it work.
Did part of your sentence get cut off? 🤔

Yotsubaaa

And I will love you 💗
True & Honest Fan
Nah,I'm just dyslexic af 😸 and just been having a weird thing happening since I installed the linux. I sometimes gotta go into my bios and exit to get startup going, Sorry if I wasn't very clear.
Fair enough, I wasn't sure so thought I'd double-check!
That issue with GRUB sounds odd though. Does it just not start the bootloader sometimes unless you 'go in' through the BIOS config?

He Who Points And Laughs

Flavortown Refugee
No Fedora, the best distro?

Fedora is Redhat (my first distro).

Here is the (drunken) list of every distro I have used,

1. Redhat 5
2. Slackware
3. Mandrake
4. SuSE
5. Debian
6. Rock
7. Lunar
8. Sorcerer
9. LFS
10. Gentoo
11. Arch
12. Elementary
13. Mint
14. Kali
15. Pentoo
16. Blackarch
17. I'm sure I've left out a few, but the bottom line is this : Fedora SUCKS :P

simulated goat

pleasant goat beauty
Fair enough, I wasn't sure so thought I'd double-check!
That issue with GRUB sounds odd though. Does it just not start the bootloader sometimes unless you 'go in' through the BIOS config?
Yes. That's pretty much what's going on. Although TBH, the computer is pretty old ( built in 2010, win 7) , I'm just trying to make it last another year until I can afford the bits to build one that will play games made after 2014, LOL. I put the mint on to have another interface to access the internet after support ends for 7 (sharing data via a partition both OSs can access), but as stated, it's just been a bit wonky since. I'll probably just take it out for now, use the xubuntu to get my linux playtime and try again later.

That said, if anyone has some insight, I'd be open to suggestions.