The Windows OS Thread - Formerly THE OS for gamers and normies, now sadly ruined by Pajeets

Shoggoth

kiwifarms.net
I'm at the point I only use windows for gayman and because I'm too lazy to move everything to a fresh install of anything.
Next machine is just going to be linux and I'll play whatever works on it. From what I see Wine and Proton work well. Both my personal and work laptops are with linux and I'm happy with them.

אΩ+1

The Aleph
kiwifarms.net
I'm at the point I only use windows for gayman and because I'm too lazy to move everything to a fresh install of anything.
Next machine is just going to be linux and I'll play whatever works on it. From what I see Wine and Proton work well. Both my personal and work laptops are with linux and I'm happy with them.
Download and Install Lutris using these instructions

According to Lutris

Lutris is an Open Source gaming platform for Linux. It installs and launches games so you can start playing without the hassle of setting up your games. Get your games from GOG, Steam, Battle.net, Origin, Uplay and many other sources running on any Linux powered gaming machine.

Edit 1: I would recommend that you use AMD / Radeon Technology Group video cards for that build since they've got better linux driver support.

Edit 1: Edited on request.

Last edited:

Mr. Duck

kiwifarms.net
I've been using Windows 7 since it came out, and now i don't know if i should upgrade to Windows 10 or switch to Linux, recently i've been reading about Windows 10 LTSC as an alternative to avoid more frequent updates and most of the Win10 bloat, is it worth getting a license for that version?

אΩ+1

The Aleph
kiwifarms.net
I've been using Windows 7 since it came out, and now i don't know if i should upgrade to Windows 10 or switch to Linux, recently i've been reading about Windows 10 LTSC as an alternative to avoid more frequent updates and most of the Win10 bloat, is it worth getting a license for that version?
Ask @OwO What's This?,

If you've got 2 video cards like an Nvidia Card and an AMD Card and wanting to do VGA passthrough so you can play games that don't have good helper scripts with lutris.

Last edited:
  • Dumb
Reactions: Bitch Kitten

Shoggoth

kiwifarms.net
If you're going to use GNU/Linux for gaming I would recommend that you use Mint GNU/Linux if you're starting with GNU/Linux

Download and Install Lutris using these instructions

According to Lutris

Lutris is an Open Source gaming platform for Linux. It installs and launches games so you can start playing without the hassle of setting up your games. Get your games from GOG, Steam, Battle.net, Origin, Uplay and many other sources running on any Linux powered gaming machine.

Edit 1: I would recommend that you use AMD / Radeon Technology Group video cards for that build since they've got better linux driver support.
Interesting that you recommend mint and pedantically refer to Linux as GNU/Linux. hmm...

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: אΩ+1

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Can current Windows run DOS or pre Windows XP stuff?

I'm guessing you need something like DOSBox for the former.

GethN7

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

32-bit versions: Yes for the most part, but I'd keep DOSBox around just in case.
64-bit versions: DOSBox and virtual machines are your best bet in all cases.

• Informative
Reactions: ToroidalBoat

Fcret

Ravioli Ravioli
kiwifarms.net

Somewhat, but not really. Stuff written against the Win32 API (everything win95 and later) is mostly still compatible. Win16 and DOS code (real mode software) can run when the processor is in protected (32-bit) mode using a virtualization subsystem called Virtual 8086 mode. V86 is unavailable when the processor is in long (64-bit) mode though.

If you wanna run that stuff, you should probably just use DOSBox, qemu, or bochs.

• Informative
Reactions: ToroidalBoat

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You can disable automatic updates in Group Policy settings (along with a shit ton of other stuff): https://seowsource.com/disable-automatic-updates-using-group-policy-windows-10/
IMO Linux on desktop is a waste. Might not be immediately apparent after you install it, but give it a little while and your frustration will mount. Used it exclusively for the better half of a decade and I'm never touching it again, except for reviving old hardware. I just hate having to fix it's infinite issues, even if I know how to. Some people enjoy that, I can't relate. Really my biggest gripe is Xorg crashing and taking all your programs with it due to the absolutely shit drivers crashing it, essentially causing a warm reboot. But there is just so much more shit for me to have time for. Again, if you like babysitting your computer, go for it. It's a legit hobby for some people.

Also I don't know what people mean by "bloat", the new start menu is a little resource intensive but it gets better every version. Other than that, it runs better than 7 for me on 7-era hardware. If your computer is that bad then install Linux, but it's gotta be some kind of potato from 2007 to not even run 10 (talking from personal experience, got an old laptop that couldn't handle it, got linux on it right now and works alright.) Windows definitely has some bloat, but it's stuff that's been there since 7 at least.

It's arbitrary what can and can't run, but I got a game from the 90s to run on 64-bit 10. Windows goes through some pretty extensive lengths to get old stuff running, like ripping apart old 16-bit installers from the 9x days and emulating their functionality since 16-bit stuff can't run in 64-bit mode.

ToroidalBoat

Token Hispanic Friend
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I mentioned this before - I still use Windows 98 in a virtual PC for old games. I don't know if my copy of W98 has it, but anyone remember the custom themes? One of them was a science theme.

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I mentioned this before - I still use Windows 98 in a virtual PC for old games. I don't know if my copy of W98 has it, but anyone remember the custom themes? One of them was a science theme.
If I recall right, that would be an "expansion pack" called "Microsoft Plus! 98". You can probably find Plus on some old software website, it was extremely popular.

Shoggoth

kiwifarms.net
IMO Linux on desktop is a waste. Might not be immediately apparent after you install it, but give it a little while and your frustration will mount
This is completely a YMMV scenario but I don't recall ever having issues with boring vanilla linux distros on desktop in the past few years. I don't mind Windows as such, although it's a bit of a mess, besides the privacy / control / ownership angles. Maybe I'm lucky but I never even had win8 crash on me, and win10 works fine, but I want to own my machine.

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't mind Windows as such, although it's a bit of a mess, besides the privacy / control / ownership angles. Maybe I'm lucky but I never even had win8 crash on me, and win10 works fine, but I want to own my machine.
I've always found this philosophy to be strangely hypocritical or a double-standard. You want to control your machine, which is fine, so you install Linux, and then learn how to use it, configure systemd and SELinux/AppArmor and your package manager and DE of choice. But then people imply that you don't do that with Windows, that it's inherently unlearnable, unconfigurable, only Linux can be learned and configured, never Windows. When in reality Group Policy and the Registry has been providing extreme configurability long before systemd tried to copy that. The functionality concerning privacy/anonymity can be completely controlled, so can the automatic updates, and naturally you can install whatever you want over the OS and mess with it all you want. I don't know what this philosophy is, if it's just some sort of innate fear of a corporate product or just some FUD by people who like to echo these ideas because they find Windows confusing because they don't even use it to begin with.

I respect wanting to use Linux if you're just comfortable with it, but, you do realize you can learn how to use Windows and it takes just about the same, if not less effort than what it takes to learn Linux.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Shoggoth

He Who Points And Laughs

Flavortown Refugee
kiwifarms.net
IMO Linux on desktop is a waste. Might not be immediately apparent after you install it, but give it a little while and your frustration will mount.
I prefer Linux, always. The only reason why I ever use Windows is for some professional audio tools which only have a Windows or Mac version. I'm not the typical consumer, as I've been using Linux as my main OS for over 20 years.

Reactions: hauser

Fcret

Ravioli Ravioli
kiwifarms.net
IMO Linux on desktop is a waste. Might not be immediately apparent after you install it, but give it a little while and your frustration will mount. Used it exclusively for the better half of a decade and I'm never touching it again, except for reviving old hardware. I just hate having to fix it's infinite issues, even if I know how to. Some people enjoy that, I can't relate. Really my biggest gripe is Xorg crashing and taking all your programs with it due to the absolutely shit drivers crashing it, essentially causing a warm reboot. But there is just so much more shit for me to have time for. Again, if you like babysitting your computer, go for it. It's a legit hobby for some people.
lolwut

Windows crashes far more often for me these days and for far more mundane reasons. I don't think I've seen an Xorg crash in the better part of a decade since the graphics drivers were moved out of Xorg and into the kernel.

• Winner
Reactions: MagneticTowels

Piss Clam

Squeeze me.
kiwifarms.net
If you want to learn about the WinNT kernel here are my suggestions from someone who has been writing code for it...since it was around.

1) You can download visual studio for free.

2) Google "winnt hooking the system service table". Read about to understand a little be more. You also want to read things like the white papers on the virtual memory manger.

3) Download windbg which is a user/kernel mode debugger. You need two machines. You should also read about setting up the "symbol server". You can find instructions for that.

When you see what they call a blue screen on WinNT...well what gets called is KeBugCheck(...)/KeBugCheckEx(...)

You can find the relevant bug checks (exceptions) in the help for windbg...then you can actually open up a .dmp file in windbg and do: !analyze -v

Hope that helps or grabs your interest.

• Informative
Reactions: The Fool and ???

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
lolwut

Windows crashes far more often for me these days and for far more mundane reasons. I don't think I've seen an Xorg crash in the better part of a decade since the graphics drivers were moved out of Xorg and into the kernel.
like I said, it wasn't Xorg's fault it crashed, it was the drivers. It was more of a last-straw thing for me, at that point I was fed up given how much shit I had fixed in the past just to get my system to function. Better driver support is just one of the many, many things Linux needs improvement on to be a suitable desktop OS. It's getting there but I still feel like it has a good few decades to go. Even then, GPU drivers have always been shit and always been prone to crashing no matter what OS you have.
I've never had a Windows crash that wasn't a hardware bug. Sometimes something in the graphics stack would crash, maybe the driver, but all that would happen is the screen flickers for a second and nothing changed. Whenever I witness that I'm just thinking "thank god that wasn't Xorg or all my shit would be gone"

I'm really hoping Wayland will fix the issue of "display server goes down, so does everything you had open", but, I have no idea, I haven't tried it. IIRC POSIX specifies that all child programs have to end execution when the parent ends execution, so, if that's the case, I'm worried Wayland will act the same. Again, haven't tried it, been meaning to. If they fixed the fucking display server taking all your applications down with it that would be a huge plus.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: hauser and Vecr
Tags
None