The Windows OS Thread - Formerly THE OS for gamers and normies, now sadly ruined by Pajeets

He Who Points And Laughs

Flavortown Refugee
kiwifarms.net
I'm really hoping Wayland will fix the issue of "display server goes down, so does everything you had open", but, I have no idea, I haven't tried it. IIRC POSIX specifies that all child programs have to end execution when the parent ends execution, so, if that's the case, I'm worried Wayland will act the same. Again, haven't tried it, been meaning to. If they fixed the fucking display server taking all your applications down with it that would be a huge plus.
I find it better not to use things like XDM and just prefer to startx with an ~/.xinitrc. If a crash happens with X, I can either use alt F2 (or F3, F4 etc) to get to a log in prompt. If that is locked, always have SSHD running so you can SSH in and run top to see the issue and kill that PID.

Crashes are incredibly rare for me and tend to happen on a fresh install where I've yet to get everything set up perfectly.

Reactions: Vecr

garakfan69

Please be patient, I have idiocy
kiwifarms.net
IIRC POSIX specifies that all child programs have to end execution when the parent ends execution, so, if that's the case, I'm worried Wayland will act the same.
No it doesn't. The children become orphan processes which the init process will pick up. It's actually kinda hard to ensure that all children processes die if you kill the parent.

Your X applications die because they don't do anything to handle the sudden lost of the X connection and just crash.
I think it would be possible for an X application to keep trying to reconnect to the display until it comes up again (and re-create its windows) but I never saw anything do that.

You can do stuff like running an extra X server for important things or try xpra which allows you to re-attach X applications.

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Your X applications die because they don't do anything to handle the sudden lost of the X connection and just crash.
I think it would be possible for an X application to keep trying to reconnect to the display until it comes up again (and re-create its windows) but I never saw anything do that.
I'm aware of this and it just sort of makes me all the more embittered by the ecosystem (on top of everything else shitty about the ecosystem). Does Wayland resolve this or is it the same story? I just find it bizarre that the graphics drivers go out of their way to be usermode and not cause a kernel panic but then just wipe all the shit off your desk when they shit the bed anyway.

I'm not too concerned with messing with Xorg anymore since I know Wayland is really progressing and being rapidly adopted, given I don't primarily use Linux right now I'm kind of just holding out in the mean time. Although I don't know how much the methods of sustaining applications across Xorg sessions apply to XWayland. I'm also in general just really put off by the idea of using Xorg at all now that the developers have basically put it into hard-maintenance mode because the source is apparently that bad.

(I also just sort of hate the idea of having to fuck with all that in general because it's entirely a non-issue in Windows for me, but I know you're just trying to help so I don't want to sound like a jackass)

garakfan69

Please be patient, I have idiocy
kiwifarms.net
Does Wayland resolve this or is it the same story?
I didn't do much with Wayland but it's very minimal and basically just gives your application an OpenGl context to draw on.
So if that suddenly goes, your applications would probably crash too.

• Feels
Reactions: The Fool

???

International man (?) of mystery
kiwifarms.net
1. What cruft can I delete from Win10 to speed it up? I want everything gone that I don't absolutely need: Edge, IE, Wordpad, Notepad, the file browser if possible. All I want is a platform for browsing the internet, coding, and gaming via Steam.

2. How do I delete said cruft?

3. How do I make the user interface look less like shit? Windows 7 or XP is a good look, none of this pseudo-tablet shit.

4. How do I disable/remove telemetry?

5. How do I permanently and reliably stop automatic updates?

Joe Swanson

kiwifarms.net
1. What cruft can I delete from Win10 to speed it up? I want everything gone that I don't absolutely need: Edge, IE, Wordpad, Notepad, the file browser if possible. All I want is a platform for browsing the internet, coding, and gaming via Steam.

3. How do I make the user interface look less like shit? Windows 7 or XP is a good look, none of this pseudo-tablet shit.

1. I'm too lazy to look it up on youtube but its on there
2. https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu
3. go into services and disable pretty much everything labeled telemetry
4. https://www.windowscentral.com/how-stop-updates-installing-automatically-windows-10

• Informative
Reactions: Army Burger and ???

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

First, there's a difference between hard drive space and memory. Edge, Wordpad etc. are sitting on your hard drive doing nothing, you don't need to remove those. Insisting would be nothing but a case of OCD. File Explorer itself is, unfortunately, a part of explorer.exe itself. It's technically possible to replace the default explorer.exe, and in the past people have written alternative implementations to replace it with, but ultimate those have fallen by the wayside and explorer.exe remains king on Windows. You can use alternative file explorers, there's a few you can find by searching online, although I've tried them all and have been unimpressed.

Disabling telemetry is easy, all of it is accessible through the Settings app. Do keep in mind telemetry is entirely anonymized and is mostly overhyped as evil incarnate because Microsoft has the audacity to be honest about collecting user information as opposed to literally any other tech company who outright lies about it or keeps it secret like Facebook and Google. Your privacy will not be compromised as long as you disable targeted ads in your Microsoft account. If you want to be sure, go into the Settings app, Privacy > Diagnostics, click Diagnostic Data Viewer, it'll open the Store app to download the Diagnostic Data Viewer. This tool shows you the entirity of the raw JSON that Windows and all Apps you download compile to send back to MS verbatim. There is nothing hidden here, nothing that insults your intelligence.
If you're still distrusting of the telemetric aspects of Windows 10, keep in mind Windows Error Reporting is the exact same concept, it collects a dump of crashed programs along with all of your computer's hardware specifications and sends it to MS for debugging purposes, and it's been in Windows since XP at least. And you can disable it like anything else.

I already posted a link to stop automatic updating: https://seowsource.com/disable-automatic-updates-using-group-policy-windows-10/
Keep in mind I don't outright recommend using this. I use it myself, not to be a hypocrite. But running an unpatched system is not safe and not recommended. Use this at your own risk, as I am doing. Note it will still nag you to update through the Notification system, but it won't force you to restart or anything like that.

Please for the love of god stop thinking of Windows 10 as some sort of monolithic corporate monster. It is a technical system that can be learned and controlled just like anything else, including Linux, especially Linux. Windows 10 is trivial to use and control after learning even a little bit about the Registry and Group Policy. Trust me, it's worth learning. Not for privacy, Windows 10 respects privacy quite a bit, but it's really good to be able to properly administrate your system and actually understand how it functions.

Last edited:

???

kiwifarms.net
I'll patch Windows, just not whenever Windows feels like it.

Also how do I remove ads?

3119967d0c

a... brain - @StarkRavingMad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Seriously though, don't do this. Just set your active hours to cover as much of the day as possible and be proactive about updating so Windows doesn't screw you over. The file history functionality is there if you turn it on, so you can't lose data even if a Windows update nukes your My Documents folder.

Open Shell is a great replacement for Classic Shell.

Installing as much as possible through chocolatey makes upgrades easy. Say you want to install a good file manager like WinFile? Just open a command prompt, 'choco install winfile', you're away laughing. Get upgrades the same way with a 'choco upgrade all'. Can't be beat.

???

kiwifarms.net
Seriously though, don't do this. Just set your active hours to cover as much of the day as possible and be proactive about updating so Windows doesn't screw you over. The file history functionality is there if you turn it on, so you can't lose data even if a Windows update nukes your My Documents folder.

Open Shell is a great replacement for Classic Shell.

Installing as much as possible through chocolatey makes upgrades easy. Say you want to install a good file manager like WinFile? Just open a command prompt, 'choco install winfile', you're away laughing. Get upgrades the same way with a 'choco upgrade all'. Can't be beat.
I want to be notified when updates are available, I just don't want to spend 4 hours downloading and installing updates when, for instance, I need to log into my employer's website and fill out forms.

3119967d0c

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I want to be notified when updates are available, I just don't want to spend 4 hours downloading and installing updates when, for instance, I need to log into my employer's website and fill out forms.
If Windows 10 is taking hours to install updates- even the major releases- (given the download happens in the background) there is probably an issue with the install, unless your system is extremely old. You might consider a reinstall if possible. Also sometimes worth having a browse through the system event log on a sick system.

• Informative
Reactions: ???

REGENDarySumanai

Not So Bad Once You Try It, Right?
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
BlackBird is good at getting rid of the telemetry shit and Explorer++ is a good replacement, along with with winfile. Linux has spoiled me with tabs, so I'll probably go with the former.

• Informative
Reactions: ???

The Fool

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I highly recommend getting an SSD for your OS drive, it makes the updates last mere minutes. Feature updates are only like 15 minutes. Windows 10 is painful on a mechanical drive.

BlackBird is good at getting rid of the telemetry shit
I don't recommend BlackBird for the simple reason that it's pure cargo cultism. Please, if you're concerned about the telemetry in a system, learn how it functions and how to disable it yourself. Don't make a prayer to RMS that the evil demons spying on you in your computer will go away. Do not make yourself a victim through ignorance.

OwO What's This?

𝑖𝑡'𝑠 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑝𝑜𝑟𝑛, ℎ𝑜𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I've been using Windows 7 since it came out, and now i don't know if i should upgrade to Windows 10 or switch to Linux, recently i've been reading about Windows 10 LTSC as an alternative to avoid more frequent updates and most of the Win10 bloat, is it worth getting a license for that version?
do not use Windows 10 LTSC, that shit is supposed to be for enterprise purposes only, you will run into problems because it was not intended to be a home OS, unlike say, Ubuntu LTSC.

now on the other hand, regular ol Windows 10 Enterprise (not LTSC or LTSB) is the best one to get because in reality it's just Professional with some extra permissions unlocked (like being able to turn off telemetry completely), and keys are cheap because third world countries register businesses, buy keys in bulk, and then sell em on eBay. Microsoft does not give a shit, their days of policing 'genuine' licenses is over, W10 sales are such a drop in the bucket compared to things like Azure.

anyway here's a place you can get them cheap, I've bought from this vendor on many occasions before, it's legit. https://u.nu/wbkh

???

kiwifarms.net
My laptop has a 128 GB SSD only - no room for a HDD - so I need to buy a bigger SSD before I install anyways.

OwO What's This?

𝑖𝑡'𝑠 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑝𝑜𝑟𝑛, ℎ𝑜𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

(1) honestly not a lot, Microsoft is pretty good about managing their services now. Unless you're trying to limit disk reads as much as possible on some ancient laptop, just leave that alone for the most part. But...

(2) ...I do like to uninstall Photos and Groove Music using commands since for some reason they're not removable by default, keeps them from ever getting associated with files I don't want them to be.
Code:
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.Windows.Photos" | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-AppxPackage -name "Microsoft.ZuneMusic" | Remove-AppxPackage
(3) don't. you have to patch core system files to accomplish this and it will be a huge fucking headache that could force complete reinstalls. I don't know why people prefer the tacky ass W7 shit ugh

(4) you need Enterprise edition (not LTSC or LTSB), see my above post. do note that if you're on an OEM install of Windows (meaning a version of Windows that was already on the machine when you got it and not something you installed yourself) you'll have to reinstall the OS for it to work, but honestly you should anyway since OEM builds of Windows come jampacked with AIDS

(5) you really shouldn't do this. here you go: https://gist.github.com/AveYo/234d561dec43abc6c41f43d223a87170

3119967d0c

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
(3) don't. you have to patch core system files to accomplish this and it will be a huge fucking headache that could force complete reinstalls. I don't know why people prefer the tacky ass W7 shit ugh
I don't think anyone really wants the Vista/Win7 themes back. Just Win7 with the Themes service permanently disabled so it doesn't look like shit. Win10 looks alright if you just turn on high contrast mode.

OwO What's This?

𝑖𝑡'𝑠 𝑛𝑜𝑡 𝑝𝑜𝑟𝑛, ℎ𝑜𝑛𝑒𝑠𝑡
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I don't think anyone really wants the Vista/Win7 themes back. Just Win7 with the Themes service permanently disabled so it doesn't look like shit. Win10 looks alright if you just turn on high contrast mode.
without that service on you'll have screen tearing issues

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: 3119967d0c
Tags
None