YABookgate -

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So much for her lesbian necromancer book being a hit with the in-crowd because she's into incest. And of course she has an AO3 account.

I'm glancing through her work there, and my eyes just gloss over from the get-go, nothing can grab my attention in the slightest. For one thing, it's in second-person (of this "Terezi Pyrope" character). Oh dear God, it's in second-person present-tense with these weird logs like those interactive Commodore 64 games or some shit breaking things up here and there. A lot of her works are written like this. I dunno how anyone could stand to sit and read through all of this to learn of what she's written in the past.

If this is how she's written Homestuck fan fiction, I can't imagine what her published work looks like. Hopefully she's smart enough to have avoided that, but her prose (what little I can tell) is rough.

Oh, her last fan fic posted is in 2013. She apparently had already been a published short story author by then, so much of it is indeed her writing style.

And she has such an unfortunate face.
e_32xU8c_400x400.jpg

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So much for her lesbian necromancer book being a hit with the in-crowd because she's into incest. And of course she has an AO3 account.

I'm glancing through her work there, and my eyes just gloss over from the get-go, nothing can grab my attention in the slightest. For one thing, it's in second-person (of this "Terezi Pyrope" character). Oh dear God, it's in second-person present-tense with these weird logs like those interactive Commodore 64 games or some shit breaking things up here and there. A lot of her works are written like this. I dunno how anyone could stand to sit and read through all of this to learn of what she's written in the past.

If this is how she's written Homestuck fan fiction, I can't imagine what her published work looks like. Hopefully she's smart enough to have avoided that, but her prose (what little I can tell) is rough.

Oh, her last fan fic posted is in 2013. She apparently had already been a published short story author by then, so much of it is indeed her writing style.

View attachment 1031954
Classic ninehead.

TaimuRadiu

Kaiserin
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1031954
are_you_frustrated.jpg

5ever a crab

kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1031954
edit1.png

my intelligence when I practice storytelling by writing fanfics

Mutie

kiwifarms.net

That's...how Homestuck is written. That's her mimicking the source material; it's not her personal writing style.

I knew something about the name was familiar, but didn't put it together until I saw her pseudonym. "Oh shit urbanAnchorite! The Serendipity Gospels was dope!"

Seriously, I can't see why this is coming up now. Its not a secret; is this information really that hard to find? It's not like her fanfiction is obscure, she was a Homestuck BNF. Her shit was popular, she has a fanlore page, one of her collaborators went on to work on Homestuck in an official capacity, etc. Pretty funny to see people be so scandalized that a Homestuck fanfiction author wrote freaky shit, as if that wasn't the entire Homestuck fan community during the early 2010s was like. Even Toby Fox wrote a satirical teen mpreg rock opera.

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That's...how Homestuck is written. That's her mimicking the source material; it's not her personal writing style.
So when she did this interview for Fantasy Magazine, she was all but stating out loud her love for "interactive fiction and game writing" was Homestruck?

(Also there's heavy implication she hates change. Even if she wasn't talking about her character hating change, just the way she words it and brings up Starbucks suggests she's not an author who'd like to take risks.)
fiction sure.png

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Friendly_AI

Haramburger

kiwifarms.net

I feel like I should get a copy just on G.P.

Edit: I don't feel like reading a 464 page book, so I'll just use one of my extra Audible credits. My generosity only goes so far. I'll listen to it driving to and from work.
She still gets to be a "top pick" despite the bullshit she went through earlier this year. Even if the book does happen to turn out to be shit, she looks happy there.

Although seeing Breaking Dawn peeking out from behind her honestly does tie it together into a pretty autistic bow.
This is paid service for by her publisher; part of being a book store clerk's duties is cycling in/out books onto the paid spots on the endcaps/featured sections/cashwrap weekly to drive visibility and thus book sales. Remember folks, book stores aren't making money just in books sold, they're also making money in placing certain books in advantageous places to play favorites.

Actually it's more of a manager/assistant manager job, because they usually didn't trust the pleb clerks to do it correctly, and it was a reason to not sit on a register or interact with customers, and they're the only people in the store who give a shit in case a district manager or secret shopper comes to check for adherence.

Xerxes IX

Remove Kebab is a meme of peace
kiwifarms.net

I knew something about the name was familiar, but didn't put it together until I saw her pseudonym. "Oh shit urbanAnchorite! The Serendipity Gospels was dope!"

Seriously, I can't see why this is coming up now. Its not a secret; is this information really that hard to find? It's not like her fanfiction is obscure, she was a Homestuck BNF. Her shit was popular, she has a fanlore page, one of her collaborators went on to work on Homestuck in an official capacity, etc. Pretty funny to see people be so scandalized that a Homestuck fanfiction author wrote freaky shit, as if that wasn't the entire Homestuck fan community during the early 2010s was like. Even Toby Fox wrote a satirical teen mpreg rock opera.
Hell, The Baby Is You even had a song where Dave states he and Rose can't have an incest baby because it'd come out exceptional. In the current year Toby would have been double canceled for that.

• Agree
Reactions: Hazard

Elwood P. Dowd

Gone Daddy Gone
kiwifarms.net
Sigh. As if I wasn't already embarrassed enough about reading YA dystopian fiction as a hobby, I stumbled across this gem:

the-toll.jpg
which had absolutely nothing to do with anything, and relates to a minor character.

Somebody who told me they felt like a woman when it was sunny and man when it was cloudy would not exactly inspire me to follow them on dangerous underwater salvage operations. But that's me, who didn't grow up in future genderfluid Madagascar. I don't think even Tumblr has come up with "Meteorological Fluidity," have they?

Second Missing Primarch

Guilliman/el'Jonson 2020: Vote or Die, Heretics
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sigh. As if I wasn't already embarrassed enough about reading YA dystopian fiction as a hobby, I stumbled across this gem:

View attachment 1040366
which had absolutely nothing to do with anything, and relates to a minor character.

Somebody who told me they felt like a woman when it was sunny and man when it was cloudy would not exactly inspire me to follow them on dangerous underwater salvage operations. But that's me, who didn't grow up in future genderfluid Madagascar. I don't think even Tumblr has come up with "Meteorological Fluidity," have they?
That is one of the dumbest fucking things I have ever read. I'd ask how this got published if I didn't know the YA industry was already a ridiculous dumpster fire.

And on the subject of underwater salvage: that's a job that requires nerves of steel, the patience of a saint, and tremendous focus. I've read way too many stories of divers who died horribly because one small thing went wrong while they were underwater and it snowballed into a catastrophe. The deeper you go, the worse it gets. I sure as hell wouldn't want to serve with a captain if I needed to be worrying about what pronouns to call them every few fucking minutes while I was burrowing into a rusting shipwreck under forty or fifty meters of water.

Piga Dgrifm

Where are those good old fashioned values?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1031954
I had to do a double-take at this. I could have sworn that ten-head was photoshopped.

View attachment 1040366

This bad attempt at virtue signaling doesn't even help trans people like, I assume, the author wants it to. Imagine if someone's first exposure to the idea was this nonsense instead of someone explaining what dysphoria is.

Kari Kamiya

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1040366

Nevermind that, there's no fucking space between the end quotes and the W.
wtfff.png

Q U A L I T Y

Furina

Centerfold
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1040366

What gender is he when he's underwater or indoors for extended periods of time? Does he have no gender? Does his personality start to decay because a large part of it is dictated by external forces? Coming from without instead of within? If someone told him it was cloudy outside, would he start acting more masculine even though in reality was a clear blue sky? Do any of these points get addressed?

I actually find this quite interesting now. I want to read a short story about this person doing some deep-water welding and suddenly not being sure if they should be cautious or risky because they don't know if they're meant to be feminine or masculine because they don't know what the fucking weather is like.

AbyssStarer

Missionary of the Birb Church
kiwifarms.net
So, uh, our favorite YA book reviewer, Paige, reviewed A Blade So Black. Spoiler: She loved it. Of course she did. It blackwashed a white character and made them bi. We all know she hates 'allocishet' people.

link to her website review
archive link

Do actual young adults read this garbage anymore or is it just Millennials and divorced soccer moms?
Young adults hardly read at all unless it's a shitty magazine or an instagram post.

Elwood P. Dowd

Gone Daddy Gone
kiwifarms.net
Do actual young adults read this garbage anymore or is it just Millennials and divorced soccer moms?
I think they sell a lot of these kind of books to "Woke" town librarians. Whether anyone actually reads them, who knows?

Was curious what GoodReads thought of the book. Looks like the author of the book was apparently part of the mob that forced Amalie Wen Zhao to pull her book from publication. See here. (Zhao is named in the comments.) Have gone down the Twitter rat hole myself, but that's the claim.

Young adults hardly read at all unless it's a shitty magazine or an instagram post.
It is mostly young females cluttering up Wattpad with their bean flicking K-pop self insert fanfics, and the site is apparently legitimately profitable. So somebody is reading them, not just writing them. 🤷‍♂️

Piga Dgrifm

Where are those good old fashioned values?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So, uh, our favorite YA book reviewer, Paige, reviewed A Blade So Black. Spoiler: She loved it. Of course she did. It blackwashed a white character and made them bi. We all know she hates 'allocishet' people.

link to her website review
archive link

Writing an actual, original story: ☹
Re-writing someone else's book but making the character's skin darker: 😀

Tags
None