YABookgate -

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
For example, in 2015 author Chuck Wendig was subject to a campaign to give his Star Wars: Aftermath novel one-star reviews on Goodreads and Amazon after some fans grew angry over him creating the first major gay hero in the Star Wars universe.
No woke story is complete without repeating one of these outright lies again and again and again. Every woke story is a regurgitation of last year's fake news and the fake news before that along with new stuff, and once I read the repetition of boring lies, I'm completely disinclined to give any credit to whatever new story is being peddled by these clowns.

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Barry Goldblatt, leading cancel culture warrior and literary agent, gets #metood.

Jesse Singal with the news, and also with the confirmation that the various YA SJWs so eager to cancel first-time writers and any low-level peon for wrongthink undoubtedly knew about the accusations, but stayed silent because they ... how would they put it? Oh, yes, they only punch down, not up.

The number of people surprised that sanctimonious, aggressive SJWs are also massive hypocrites? Zero.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Barry Goldblatt, leading cancel culture warrior and literary agent, gets #metood.

Jesse Singal with the news, and also with the confirmation that the various YA SJWs so eager to cancel first-time writers and any low-level peon for wrongthink undoubtedly knew about the accusations, but stayed silent because they ... how would they put it? Oh, yes, they only punch down, not up.

The number of people surprised that sanctimonious, aggressive SJWs are also massive hypocrites? Zero.
It's like poetry. It rhymes.

Piga Dgrifm

Where are those good old fashioned values?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Well, so long as he never wrote a book featuring a character that is in any way different from him, he's fine.

GeorgiaGuidestones

Go cry to someone else lol
kiwifarms.net

Oh, the hypocrisy and the sweet, sweet taste of exposing these people for who they really are. It’s so beautiful.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Writers who care more about identity politics than writing a good story won’t be remembered 20 years from now; unless they are used as an example of how not to write or analyze stories (I hope).
Woke politics change so fast that no matter how woke you are now, if you've made that the only thing in your work, you're just going to be a racist, x-phobic shitlord of some sort, against some minority that hasn't even been invented yet but is, like troons are now, somehow the most persecuted minority in all of history.

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Woke politics change so fast that no matter how woke you are now, if you've made that the only thing in your work, you're just going to be a racist, x-phobic shitlord of some sort, against some minority that hasn't even been invented yet but is, like troons are now, somehow the most persecuted minority in all of history.
Being eternally off balance to the point you always keep your mouth shut just to be on the safe side is a pretty classic hallmark of totalitarianism.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Being eternally off balance to the point you always keep your mouth shut just to be on the safe side is a pretty classic hallmark of totalitarianism.
Writers, especially woke writers, can't do that, though. They have to say and do shit which automatically puts an expire-by date on them. They have to say woke shit and it has to be today's woke shit.

CheezzyMach

Hulkamania Brother!
kiwifarms.net

I eagerly await the day when these clowns finally join their rightwing forbearers in being irrelevant mocked laughing stocks.

Elwood P. Dowd

Gone Daddy Gone
kiwifarms.net
Is Cat Rambo's fiction as turgid and screechy as her essays? Damn, was this painful to get through. And I don't even mean thematically, I mean in the nuts and bolts of the prose. On top of that, there wasn't one syllable in this mess I found surprising. She's like some sort of synthetic human, stuffed full of a series of dogmatic assertions, vomited clumsily onto the screen.

The New Rude Masters of Fantasy & Science Fiction – and Romance

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Is Cat Rambo's fiction as turgid and screechy as her essays? Damn, was this painful to get through. And I don't even mean thematically, I mean in the nuts and bolts of the prose. On top of that, there wasn't one syllable in this mess I found surprising. She's like some sort of synthetic human, stuffed full of a series of dogmatic assertions, vomited clumsily onto the screen.

The New Rude Masters of Fantasy & Science Fiction – and Romance

This is the kind of shit that makes an aspiring writer want to burn the whole fucking thing down. Christ, I'm depressed.

Chan Fan

Murdoch Chan, not Chris Chan
kiwifarms.net
This is the kind of shit that makes an aspiring writer want to burn the whole fucking thing down. Christ, I'm depressed.
I agree. Being a published author used to be my dream but now I'm just content to write on here and in word docs no one else will ever read. My writing has become as closeted as most of my other beliefs. I've learned to take joy in doing it, not receiving praise for it. It's bittersweet.

LetterlandMafia

Foreclose on me one more time
kiwifarms.net
Same here. Once dreamed of being an author. Now the prospect of success is less attractive to me given all these gremlins come out of the woodwork to try and tear down anyone more successful than them. SFF is absolutely full of them and they run the show. It’s not a circus I want to be in (and I doubt I’d be invited anyway).

I’m happy to just throw stuff out on the web and hope I entertain someone in the process. It’s a cliche but you really have to do it because you love it. No one is coming to help or support you or prop you up. You just have to do your thing because you enjoy making it for yourself, anything else is a bonus.

Anne Frankenstein

kiwifarms.net
I agree. Being a published author used to be my dream but now I'm just content to write on here and in word docs no one else will ever read. My writing has become as closeted as most of my other beliefs. I've learned to take joy in doing it, not receiving praise for it. It's bittersweet.
Publishing under a pseudonym is a perfectly dignified response to current year. These YA harpies do it all the time why shouldn't you?

Syaoran Li

Irish Redneck Out Cruising
kiwifarms.net
If I'm going to write a novel, I'll just self-publish under a pseudonym or something.

Also, avoid the "Young Adult" label, as that's the most likely to attract the dangerhairs. Even if your book is "Young Adult" in terms of its intended audience or genre, the label has certain specific connotations. Just label it as Sci Fi, Fantasy, Mystery, or some other conventional genre and self-publish it.

While Sci-Fi and Fantasy literature also have a wokeness problem, it's mainly in the publishing industry, and self-publishing circumvents most of that since most dangerhairs who do step out of the YA bubble typically stick to books that are published by certain major companies, and self-publishing now viable in the internet era.

Safir

The woman from Snowy River
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Perhaps writing for a different medium? Such as a visual novel. Of course, that presumes you have access to good illustrators.
I don't think that presumption needs to hold. There's no need to bring good illustrators onboard your indie visual novel project. You can't compete with commercial publishers on asset quality. If you're anywhere in the first world, writing will already have a high enough opportunity cost. Get to writing and plan to commission the characters and run some photos through a filter for backgrounds; meanwhile, substitute borrowed or programmer art. But get to writing first, if you like writing at all. Then, if you still want to partner with an illustrator for a share of the profits (why), you'll have an easier time finding one when your novel is almost done than an "idea guy" with only a shitty elevator pitch.

Tags
None