YABookgate -

Save the Loli

kiwifarms.net
People were also Big Mad that her main character had a rough childhood and lived in poverty, which apparently is a harmful stereotype to Hawaiians.
They say stuff like this but there's all these weird SJW books about black families (mentioned in this thread or another here) where everyone's parents are drug dealers, gang members, or pimps/hos and the only people in the book who aren't living/didn't have miserable childhoods are the white people.

PurpleEater

kiwifarms.net
edit: The author of the hula book seems to be living in North Carolina. 🤔At least as of August 19.

View attachment 1560489
I believe she lived in Hawaii for a time, which is part of her inspiration for the book. Or she made that up, who knows, but I remember reading it in several discussion threads.

Regardless, it's provided us with lots of YAcow milk.

Here's more for the lulz, including a chimp out from Beth Phelan, who is apparently an agent:

Attachments

Fandom Trash

Cutest Dumpster Cat around
kiwifarms.net
So the author got chased out of Twitter and is also dropped by her agent?

Dang. This is why we can't ever have nice things. I just want YA to how it used to be before this whole mess, with the shitty, but highly entertaining paranormal romance and one in a dozen dystopian books.

Can't believe I miss the days of Twilight and Divergent. :(

Piga Dgrifm

Pita Griffin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Give me all the hats, because this shit legitimately upsets me. Maybe the book was the worst thing ever put to paper, but it still deserves to exist. I hate that the left is now the party that's all about censorship of art. Seeing this happen is genuinely depressing to me. You just try and create a thing and now you have to worry about both the fundies on the right losing it, and these Twitter tantrums from the left. Why are people so incapable of just not looking at the pieces of media that enrage them so much? A thing existing that is not to your taste has no effect on your life. It's gotta be some extreme form of narcissism that makes this kind of thing happen, you aren't interested in a piece of art, so you have to harass the person who made it because your feelings and thoughts matter so much more than anything else.

Fandom Trash

Cutest Dumpster Cat around
kiwifarms.net
I feel sad too. Shit like this is why creators feel more comfortable doing the same things over and over again, cuz at least you won't be attacked for not making your token characters special snowflakes. And then the same people will complain endlessly about a lack of diversity in books. You can't have it both ways people!

This shit really needs to end.

PurpleEater

kiwifarms.net
This is pretty funny (though pathetic). Even though the poor woman's book was pulled and everyone has apologized, etc., the creator of the pitch competition DVPit is still sperging about her contest that this woman randomly entered in the past (and didn't even use to find her agent, so I'm not sure what the spegery is about):

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 10.46.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-08-31 at 10.45.45 PM.png

Funny how they get what they want but that only makes them more upset. It's like a contest of who can be more MOTI.

Elwood P. Dowd

Turned Normie. Bye.
kiwifarms.net
Give me all the hats, because this shit legitimately upsets me. Maybe the book was the worst thing ever put to paper, but it still deserves to exist. I hate that the left is now the party that's all about censorship of art. Seeing this happen is genuinely depressing to me. You just try and create a thing and now you have to worry about both the fundies on the right losing it, and these Twitter tantrums from the left.
I won't give you a hat, but I'll give you a clock, 'cuz you're late. This kind of shit has been going on for the better part of a decade at this point. YA is probably the worst, though I'm sure if you look you can find examples of it elsewhere.

This is pretty funny (though pathetic). Even though the poor woman's book was pulled and everyone has apologized, etc., the creator of the pitch competition DVPit is still sperging about her contest that this woman randomly entered in the past (and didn't even use to find her agent, so I'm not sure what the spegery is about):

View attachment 1563059
View attachment 1563057

Funny how they get what they want but that only makes them more upset. It's like a contest of who can be more MOTI.
"dangerous enough for marginalized authors to put their careers on the line."
What danger are they in from a woman in North Carolina with three toddlers who tweets about having trouble getting them to take naps? :\ Is she planning the next Kristallnacht or something, once they finally settle down?

"Desecrated a safe space."
Social Justice is a religion, confirmed. :roll:

Yup, the author also deleted her Twitter. Her agent left her and her editor apologized profusely.

View attachment 1562721

View attachment 1562722

Yet, as always, the chimp outs continue.
You say that like its a bad thing. More grist for the mill that is this thread. Also:

This was ultimately her decision and she had my support.
Yeah, I totally 100% believe that. Most honest statement ever made on Twitter.

I feel sad too. Shit like this is why creators feel more comfortable doing the same things over and over again, cuz at least you won't be attacked for not making your token characters special snowflakes. And then the same people will complain endlessly about a lack of diversity in books. You can't have it both ways people!

This shit really needs to end.
Ever hear of Kasie West? She has, in broad terms, written the same book more than ten times now. White chick in or just out of high school meets white dude some minor mishap/misunderstanding happens, they get separated, then they get back together and HEA abounds. The end. (Sorry for spoiling her entire oeuvre. Well, not really.)

She'll never be a bestseller, but she'll apparently never be a "nonseller" or controversial enough to get dropped by her publisher, either. She tried a paranormal/dystopian blah blah blah around the height of The Hunger Games but dropped that after two books; guess she's now back to being a good l'il white girl who stays in her lane.

Elwood P. Dowd

Turned Normie. Bye.
kiwifarms.net
Then again, I am russian, who cares.
As a complete aside to this thread, is book piracy in Russia as bad as these authors claim?

Open letter from a group of Russian-speaking LitRPG-authors

Sorry for a link to plebbit, but I have no idea where the original is, and I don't see a link within the thread. The funny (or perhaps not so funny?) element of the letter is that if you didn't know where to find pirated material in Russian before reading it, you sure as hell do now.

Not that LitRPG is anything much more than a subgenre of a subgenre, but these authors are some of the heavy hitters within what I'll characterize as the community. I think at least a couple of them are full time authors, so I'm not sure I believe the $700 monthly income claim, or at any rate that it is meaningful.

neverendingmidi

it just goes on and on and on and on...
kiwifarms.net
As a complete aside to this thread, is book piracy in Russia as bad as these authors claim?

Open letter from a group of Russian-speaking LitRPG-authors

Sorry for a link to plebbit, but I have no idea where the original is, and I don't see a link within the thread. The funny (or perhaps not so funny?) element of the letter is that if you didn't know where to find pirated material in Russian before reading it, you sure as hell do now.

Not that LitRPG is anything much more than a subgenre of a subgenre, but these authors are some of the heavy hitters within what I'll characterize as the community. I think at least a couple of them are full time authors, so I'm not sure I believe the $700 monthly income claim, or at any rate that it is meaningful.
Never heard of the sites listed, but I'm pretty sure Library Genesis is based in Russia. Then again the sites listed seem to charge for the books, from what I was reading, making them more obvious thieves than Library Genesis where everything is free.

Aqua Panda

I've seen horrors… horrors that you've seen.
kiwifarms.net
The Hawaii book getting canceled is the most bullshit thing. It reeks of jealousy and wanting to destroy someone more successful than you just for being more successful.

The author did the right thing at first with ignoring all the hate, but I get the feeling they feared for their future options if they didn't bend the knee.

This, "you can only write about people or locations if you're a native or POC" is a fucking disturbing trend.

neverendingmidi

kiwifarms.net
The Hawaii book getting canceled is the most bullshit thing. It reeks of jealousy and wanting to destroy someone more successful than you just for being more successful.

The author did the right thing at first with ignoring all the hate, but I get the feeling they feared for their future options if they didn't bend the knee.

This, "you can only write about people or locations if you're a native or POC" is a fucking disturbing trend.
I'm expecting them to lead a crusade against James Mitchner's grave sometime soon.

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Elwood P. Dowd

Piga Dgrifm

Pita Griffin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
And even if you’re a native or POC, they’ll still tell you that you did it wrong and won’t stop until you withdraw the manuscript they haven’t even fucking read.
I’m always impressed by how the “progressives” have a far higher success rate for getting rid of any and all minority representation than any white supremacist groups do.

PurpleEater

kiwifarms.net
More lunacy lately (the YAcow/Book Twitter milk supply never runs dry!)

There's some book out called The Poppy War that apparently some people don't like or think is all that good. As always, it seems to be more people bitching about someone disliking it than people actually openly disliking it.

The pitch of the book is:

"A grimdark fantasy, draws its plot and politics from mid-20th-century China, with the conflict in the novel based on the Second Sino-Japanese War, and an atmosphere inspired by the Song dynasty."

But because some people don't like it, Twitter is absolutely sperging, claiming that the book is "smarter than its readers" and too complex/intellectual/Chinese/MuH CULTURE!1 for the normies to get and appreciate. It's pretty insane so I've included some key screenshots.

Attachments

neverendingmidi

kiwifarms.net
More lunacy lately (the YAcow/Book Twitter milk supply never runs dry!)

There's some book out called The Poppy War that apparently some people don't like or think is all that good. As always, it seems to be more people bitching about someone disliking it than people actually openly disliking it.

The pitch of the book is:

"A grimdark fantasy, draws its plot and politics from mid-20th-century China, with the conflict in the novel based on the Second Sino-Japanese War, and an atmosphere inspired by the Song dynasty."

But because some people don't like it, Twitter is absolutely sperging, claiming that the book is "smarter than its readers" and too complex/intellectual/Chinese/MuH CULTURE!1 for the normies to get and appreciate. It's pretty insane so I've included some key screenshots.
Sometimes people don't like a book. God knows I suffered through reading "The Killer Angels" by Michael Shaara, and plenty of people in my class were facinated by it. It didn't make the book brilliant or me dumb, it just meant that it's writing was dry to me.

If this is a new book I have a stronger feeling it's shit writing if people are complaining. Especially if it's just that they didn enjoy it, not that it was badwrongthought.

• Feels
Reactions: UnsufficentBoobage
Tags
None