YABookgate -

SpeedOSanicRee

Gotta Scroll Fast
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if this qualifies for YABookgate -- I'm not sure if YA is something this agency deals with -- but it fits the larger theme of "random sex weirdo on Twitter has a shitfit about some anodyne statement and successfully gets someone fired" that is running rampant through the literary world. The Tobias Agency, by the way, currently has its feed protected, so I assume they're taking shit from both sides, some of which is most definitely deserved.

Madeline Pine, by the way, seems to be a nobody -- just a random enby / tranny / fruitcake who was lucky enough to have its tantrum go viral enough to cost somebody their job. I follow a ton of writers on Twitter, so I do see her/his/its tweets somewhat frequently. All I know about her is that she's a "sensitivity reader," which I take as evidence that such people are exactly the sort of insane censorious fuckheads I assume them to be.
Wait wait wait, they're just letting trannies query them randomly? Like, if you're a tranny you can reach out to them and they won't just throw it in the trash? And they'll give them free critiques too?

Anyone who isn't familiar with querying should look into it so you understand why I'm pointing this out. Same with the critique. Some people will charge you hundreds for that.

PurpleEater

kiwifarms.net
Not sure if this qualifies for YABookgate -- I'm not sure if YA is something this agency deals with -- but it fits the larger theme of "random sex weirdo on Twitter has a shitfit about some anodyne statement and successfully gets someone fired" that is running rampant through the literary world. The Tobias Agency, by the way, currently has its feed protected, so I assume they're taking shit from both sides, some of which is most definitely deserved.

Madeline Pine, by the way, seems to be a nobody -- just a random enby / tranny / fruitcake who was lucky enough to have its tantrum go viral enough to cost somebody their job. I follow a ton of writers on Twitter, so I do see her/his/its tweets somewhat frequently. All I know about her is that she's a "sensitivity reader," which I take as evidence that such people are exactly the sort of insane censorious fuckheads I assume them to be.
Oh yeah, I've been following this and it's pretty batshit. This woman dared to have an opinion that fell outside of the realm of acceptable IdPol, and therefore, Nazi. Fire her.

It definitely relates to the lolcows of YA Twitter and thus YABookgate since a lot of them have been chimping out about it since the news broke.

At the very least, she seems to be receiving a lot of support, too. Jesse Singal did a thread on this:

Screen Shot 2020-08-25 at 12.08.16 AM.png

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Let's not mention her... my biggest fear is that she becomes mainstream among these fuckers and I don't want to read any "Oscar is really a trans lesbian" take.
If any of the YA crowd try to get their hands on Riyoko Ikeda, just tell them about her version of "Der Ring des Nibelungen" where Adolf Hitler is a main character.

Elwood P. Dowd

Turned Normie. Bye.
kiwifarms.net
Sweet & Slim, Greasy & Grim: The physical traits that define men & women in literature

I was prepared to be all "OMG, lookit wut teh Ess Jay Dubyas r up to now" about this, but...damn, the tone is reasonable, that author, even mildly self-deprecating and the word "privilege", as in "white privilege" or "thin privilege," nowhere to be found.

I may even have to concede she has a point, if she can produce popular books read mainly by women where the main female protagonist is ever described as "greasy and grim." (She doesn't.) The illustrations, OTOH, are annoying as hell.

Archive really didn't like this one. Or Archive itself is just being recalcitrant this morning.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The manga's called Niberunku no Yubiwa. I believe this guy right here is Adolf:

View attachment 1559021
Well you beat me to it, but here are some more pictures.

Hitler snatches the Ring out of the Rhine:

nibelung2.jpgnibelung3.jpg

Siegfried confronts Hitler:

nibelung4.jpg

The end: Hitler escapes back to modern-day Germany in the chaos, takes Kriemhild back with him to become "Eva Braun", and uses the Ring to become a conqueror.

nibelung5.jpgnibelung6.jpg

EDIT: incidentally, the manga was written by Riyoko Ikeda, but the art is by one Erika Miyamoto who I believe was one of her long-time assistants.

Last edited:

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
Well you beat me to it, but here are some more pictures.

Hitler snatches the Ring out of the Rhine:

View attachment 1559218View attachment 1559219

Siegfried confronts Hitler:

View attachment 1559220

The end: Hitler escapes back to modern-day Germany in the chaos, takes Kriemhild back with him to become "Eva Braun", and uses the Ring to become a conqueror.

View attachment 1559221View attachment 1559216

EDIT: incidentally, the manga was written by Riyoko Ikeda, but the art is by one Erika Miyamoto who I believe was one of her long-time assistants.
Thanks. Unfortunately, the English translation didn't get far enough to give the character a name, so I wasn't sure if it was ever explicitly stated or just really blatantly implied.

Kosher Dill

Potato Chips
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Thanks. Unfortunately, the English translation didn't get far enough to give the character a name, so I wasn't sure if it was ever explicitly stated or just really blatantly implied.
Yeah, he doesn't actually remember his name until something like book 3 out of 4.
Incidentally, for anyone thinking of picking this up, it isn't really "Hitler: The Manga" despite my selection of pages. It's more like a retelling of "Der Ring" where many of the key catastrophes that propel the plot were caused by this mysterious time-traveller (who turns out to be Hitler) rather than how it happened in the original.

I can't imagine

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, he doesn't actually remember his name until something like book 3 out of 4.
Incidentally, for anyone thinking of picking this up, it isn't really "Hitler: The Manga" despite my selection of pages. It's more like a retelling of "Der Ring" where many of the key catastrophes that propel the plot were caused by this mysterious time-traveller (who turns out to be Hitler) rather than how it happened in the original.
I should probably see if I can find scans of the Italian translation. My Italian sucks, but it's way better than my Japanese.

It's overall pretty entertaining, though it runs through the story so fast it doesn't make that much sense if you don't already know the plot of the Ring cycle, and, while part of the fun, the inclusion of the isekai adventures of young Hitler is a bit perplexing, to say the least. Not Ikeda's best work, but still not bad.

Really, I think Oniisama E would be enough to get her cancelled by the YA crowd. Too much suffering by lesbians for their tastes, I'd expect.

PurpleEater

kiwifarms.net
New day, new YA Bookgate chimp out!

This one is over a rom-com book about Hawaii and hulu dancing written by a white woman, and it's made LOTS of the SJWs on Book/YA Twitter very, very upset. The fallout is still on-going, and even though the author was culled into an apology, the mob remains enraged that she exists and that her book will presumably still be published.

It's a bit complicated and autistic, so I'll break it down as best I can. So basically this woman named Jordan Marie Green recently sold her YA novel, announced it on Twitter, and absolute insanity ensued when people found out she's not a PEE-OH-CEE but dared to write about Hawaii.

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 9.40.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 9.45.44 PM.png

Apparently she had pitched the book years ago through a Twitter diversity pitch competition called DVPit, which is meant for marginalized authors or something. People got Big Mad because she's white and submitted to a contest "not meant for her."

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 9.40.41 PM.png

People were also Big Mad that her main character had a rough childhood and lived in poverty, which apparently is a harmful stereotype to Hawaiians.

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 9.47.12 PM.png

The mob, as they like to do, attacked Jordan's announcement tweet directly. Hilariously, Jordan ignored everyone except the people congratulating her, which just made the mob even angrier. She later apologized and explained why she hadn't responded to all of the exceptional tweets, but as expected, the chimp out continued onward.

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 9.52.41 PM.png

To save themselves, some of the authors that had congratulated her originally backtracked and later condemned her to save face.

Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 9.48.15 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 9.49.29 PM.png

I've attached screenshots of the offending post from years ago about DVPit, as well as general spergery from new and old favorite YA Twitter lolcows that are at Level 90000 rage. People have been sperging and tagging her agent and editor. I believe the editor, Emily Settle, posted some long, rambling thread as an explanation, claiming she dindu nuffin and didn't know the author was white, etc.

If you want to read more lunacy for lulz, just search "hula book" on Twitter.

Attachments

Elwood P. Dowd

Turned Normie. Bye.
kiwifarms.net
People were also Big Mad that her main character had a rough childhood and lived in poverty, which apparently is a harmful stereotype to Hawaiians.
She should've made the main character an obese slob who got the beetus at 17 and starts losing toes at 24. Y'know, a typical Hawaiian.

edit: Kudos for doing the legwork for all our lulz. Figure if I'm gonna snark I can compliment, too.

Fandom Trash

Cutest Dumpster Cat around
kiwifarms.net
That's fucking crazy. Its Hawaii, and something that everyone associates with the state.

This is one of the many reasons why people are becoming more and more afraid to branch out and write something beyond their scope. And then these same YA fans will still attack them for not including any diversity in the stories.

Its like damn if you do, damn if you don't.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

This one is over a rom-com book about Hawaii and hulu dancing written by a white woman, and it's made LOTS of the SJWs on Book/YA Twitter very, very upset. The fallout is still on-going, and even though the author was culled into an apology, the mob remains enraged that she exists and that her book will presumably still be published.

It's a bit complicated and autistic, so I'll break it down as best I can. So basically this woman named Jordan Marie Green recently sold her YA novel, announced it on Twitter, and absolute insanity ensued when people found out she's not a PEE-OH-CEE but dared to write about Hawaii.
Because white people don't live natively in Hawaii, I guess.

She shouldn't have caved in and apologized, ignoring them was working, apparently, but she lives in California so there was no escaping it for her. Even claiming she lived there at one point doesn't work because she's the wrong skin color.

I might just buy this book out of spite. Also it's in Hawaii and I like learning more about Polynesian culture, so might as well take a look.

Piga Dgrifm

Pita Griffin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1560309View attachment 1560335

Apparently she had pitched the book years ago through a Twitter diversity pitch competition called DVPit, which is meant for marginalized authors or something. People got Big Mad because she's white and submitted to a contest "not meant for her."

View attachment 1560315

View attachment 1560343

The mob, as they like to do, attacked Jordan's announcement tweet directly. Hilariously, Jordan ignored everyone except the people congratulating her, which just made the mob even angrier. She later apologized and explained why she hadn't responded to all of the exceptional tweets, but as expected, the chimp out continued onward.

View attachment 1560354

To save themselves, some of the authors that had congratulated her originally backtracked and later condemned her to save face.

View attachment 1560346View attachment 1560347

I've attached screenshots of the offending post from years ago about DVPit, as well as general spergery from new and old favorite YA Twitter lolcows that are at Level 90000 rage. People have been sperging and tagging her agent and editor. I believe the editor, Emily Settle, posted some long, rambling thread as an explanation, claiming she dindu nuffin and didn't know the author was white, etc.

If you want to read more lunacy for lulz, just search "hula book" on Twitter.
It's weird, really. When I hear about a book I'm not interested in, or sounds like something that would bother me, I just... don't read it. I'm not into most Christian fiction since I'm not a Christian. I wouldn't read Scientologist books, or books for other cults because it's lunacy. I think Robin Diangelo's White Fragility is full of terrible advice for anyone that actually wants to address racism... You know what I don't do? I don't scream and bitch at the authors of these books, or their fans, or their publishers, I don't mash my keyboard in rage demanding all these books be banned from existence. Don't these folks have books that they like to read? How do they have so much time to sniff out all the ones they hate and then spend days complaining about how the author hasn't committed seppuku yet?

At this point, I'm thinking you should just publish anonymously. They can't bitch that you ain't #OwnVoices if they don't know what minority points you do/don't have. Hell, you could say in the back of the book you had to be anonymous because you were afraid of backlash from bigots and they'd believe it... And it wouldn't exactly be a lie, either.

Fandom Trash

Cutest Dumpster Cat around
kiwifarms.net
Can't wait to check out goodreads when this book finally comes out and see all the mad people from twitter 1 star rate in retaliation. Thankfully, most people don't really give much stock to goodread ratings anymore.

Reactions: PurpleEater

Dave.

Not all heroes wear brass.
kiwifarms.net
She should've made the main character an obese slob who got the beetus at 17 and starts losing toes at 24. Y'know, a typical Hawaiian.

edit: Kudos for doing the legwork for all our lulz. Figure if I'm gonna snark I can compliment, too.
Yeah I’d have more respect for Hawaiians if they were as hot as they were portrayed in the films, but 9 times out of ten (and thats being super generous) they’re walking ogres who will throw a menopausal bitchfit about literally anything that moves.

Elwood P. Dowd

Turned Normie. Bye.
kiwifarms.net
At this point, I'm thinking you should just publish anonymously. They can't bitch that you ain't #OwnVoices if they don't know what minority points you do/don't have.
If you self-publish, sure, but no way would a traditional publisher look at somebody going anonymous. You have to do 90% of your own marketing these days, if nothing else.

Also, that's what they do with tryouts for symphonies; prospective musicians are behind a screen, so nobody is judged based upon race or gender or possibly being good looking or ugly, nothing but ability at cello or french horn or whatever.

Oh, wait...

To Make Orchestras More Diverse, End Blind Auditions

Diversity > being able to play an instrument, apparently.

edit: The author of the hula book seems to be living in North Carolina. 🤔At least as of August 19.

hula-book.PNG

Last edited:
Tags
None