YABookgate -

Piga Dgrifm

Pita Griffin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
You know, I actually doubt that. Most of these people can't do more than a 300 page YA cookie cutter release whose only distinguishing characteristic is what kind of minority or sex weirdo representation it features. I doubt many of them can slog through a 1200 page epic fantasy, and are 75-95% tv fans.
They probably liked the ending since they're so allergic to good stories.

Elwood P. Dowd

Turned Normie. Bye.
kiwifarms.net
The new Twilight book is out for the emotionally stunted middle-aged women of the world and there's been some pretty entertaining Native American-related chimp outs even though apparently this girl lives in the Phillipines:

View attachment 1496024View attachment 1496028
Can't people just take silly popular works of genre fiction as being, well, silly popular works of genre fiction? Twilight (which I hated), Ready Player One (which I like far more than I will ever publicly admit), etc., they're kind of like pop music, I'd think. Ephemeral bubbles of pop culture that at the end of the day aren't hurting anyone.

As an aside, it appears the Quilete Tribe's main claim to fame at this point is contributing to the overfishing of the Pacific Northwest. And I'm sure historically they used nylon nets and motorboats. As part of that whole "be one with nature" thing, I guess. Interesting that the counterparty to the suit was another tribe.

Also, when the heck was the last tsunami in the Pacific Northwest? The Alaskan earthquake of the early 1960s?

NOTICE: JULY 9, 2015
On July 9, 2015, Judge Ricardo S. Martinez of the U.S. District Court of the Western District of Washington recognized the important maritime heritage of the Quileute people when he announced his ruling in favor of the Quileute Tribe after a lengthy 23-day bench trial that ended in April. The court heard testimony from eleven witnesses and reviewed hundreds of trial exhibits. After considering the issues and reviewing the evidence, the court issued a detailed and fact-based ruling that allows the Quileute to continue to enjoy their traditional connection to the ocean.

In 2009, the Makah Indian Tribe sued the Quileute Tribe and the Quinault Indian Nation in United States v. Washington, seeking to dramatically cut back the areas in the ocean in which the Quileute and Quinault could fish. At stake were the western boundaries for the Quileute and Quinault in the Pacific Ocean, as well as the northern boundary of the Quileute’s treaty fishing grounds. Treaty fishing boundaries are determined based upon where a tribe customarily fished at and before treaty times (the 1850s). Evidence drawn from linguistics, archaeology, marine biology, and anthropology was presented at trial to prove where the Quileute fished at and before treaty times.

SpeedOSanicRee

Gotta Scroll Fast
kiwifarms.net
The new Twilight book is out for the emotionally stunted middle-aged women of the world and there's been some pretty entertaining Native American-related chimp outs even though apparently this girl lives in the Phillipines:

View attachment 1496024View attachment 1496028
Oh my god. I have always absolutely despised Twilight, but I kind of want to buy Midnight Sun just to piss people like this off. The whole 'tHiS iS noT nEgoTiAbLe' shit pisses me off. I would much, MUCH rather someone donate to a cause I'm passionate about because they're passionate about it too, not because I demanded they do it or I'd call them racist.

Also, 'actually actively harmed' how? They always use the term harm but never explain what that means.

Someone in a Tree

It's the ripple, not the sea that is happening
kiwifarms.net
Oh my god. I have always absolutely despised Twilight, but I kind of want to buy Midnight Sun just to piss people like this off. The whole 'tHiS iS noT nEgoTiAbLe' shit pisses me off. I would much, MUCH rather someone donate to a cause I'm passionate about because they're passionate about it too, not because I demanded they do it or I'd call them racist.

Also, 'actually actively harmed' how? They always use the term harm but never explain what that means.
Because these idiots think words are actual violence... and silence is violence... and anything they don’t agree with is violence. It’s almost as if coddling a generation has had negative repercussions or something.

Elwood P. Dowd

Turned Normie. Bye.
kiwifarms.net
Not even remotely YA, but, eh, wasn't sure where else to put this. And I figure the 'tism is always a good topic at KF. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Published August 5, 2020 by Lydia Wilkins Journalist
For a long time, I felt like I had been failed by publishing. After a diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrome - now Autism Spectrum Disorder (or ASD) in 2015 - I set out to learn more about my new ‘label’, and what it meant to me. Recommendations included looking to TV, because characters such as Sheldon Cooper in "The Big Bang Theory" were ostensibly ‘good’ representation. I couldn't relate. Frustrated, I turned to books, expecting someone, somewhere, to have written about my experience. There was very little that was supportive, or even relevant, to me.

It’s good to see that this is changing at long last, although publishing still has a long way to go to plug the gap. Despite Autism Spectrum Disorder being exactly that - a spectrum! - there remains a lack of nuance in books that touch on the varied experiences of people with ASD.

Take the recent backlashes around books about Autism. To Siri With Love - Judith Newman's recent memoir about her Autistic son - may have been met with huge praise, but Autistic individuals shot back. Accusations of eugenics and ableism abounded - Kaelan Rhywiol summarised the objections in a piece for Bustle - as well as a 'Twitterstorm', complete with the hashtag #BoycottToSiri. The author responded that she had not written the book for an Autistic audience.

And this year, my Instagram feed flooded with petitions calling for the removal of I Wish My Kids Had Cancer by Micheal Alan - a book that appeared to equate Autism with cancer. Enough said.

Even less controversial ASD publishing shows up more subtle issues.

A lot of literature overwhelmingly relates to young children, and how they may ‘present’ as being on the spectrum. There is a huge array of what I refer to as ‘medical textbooks’ - where every possible characteristic, personality trait, is dissected, and summed up with “they’re Autistic”. It is dehumanising to become merely the sum of your neurology - and viewed as not being much of a person.

Then there are the memoirs. Up until recently, they have mainly centred around later-in-life diagnoses. (Women are usually diagnosed later in life, for a variety of reasons. Diagnostic criteria is thought to not be nuanced enough to pick us up - and we are masters of ‘masking’ our hallmarks.) Odd Girl Out by Laura James was utterly seismic - but I could not relate to it fully, as she is decades older than me. I was 15 at the time of my diagnosis - and it felt like no one really understood, though there were shared themes in the book I resonated with.

There are also a lot of books about parenting - but they are written by parents not on the spectrum. Spectrum Women: Autism & Parenting is out next month - and, so far, has been seen as a ‘revelation’. Why? Because it is written by people on the Autistic spectrum! As the saying goes, ‘nothing about us, without us’ - and this should apply to books about parenting Autistic children. It’s good to have books that are almost like textbooks - but they are not necessarily the real, lived experience of being on the spectrum. They miss the colour, the humanity. And that, I think, could often be said when someone not on the spectrum writes about being Autistic.

When publishing does not cover the ‘full spectrum’ of what it means to be Autistic, it leaves people like me feeling isolated. It’s heartening to see the small steps to this changing - because the community I am part of, by proxy and thanks to my label, will feel less alone - as well as more accepted and acknowledged.

Stim: An Autistic Anthology was released earlier this year. Edited by Lizzie Huxley-Jones, this book was notable for giving free rein to the Autistic contributors. Essays, art, even fiction - not necessarily about Autism! - made this book a stand-out tome in its niche. It’s refreshing to read, offering a range of non-neurotypical perspectives.

Illustrator Megan Rhiannon has also released Existing Autistic - a self-published, illustrated book that contains information about functioning labels, sensory overload, and more. It has been received with thunderous applause - with her needing to re-stock it at least once since the release.

Jessica Kingsley Publishers has become a leading publisher in the field. A lot of Autistic women I know wanted something like a guide book when they were teenagers - and Siena Castellon has written it. At seventeen, she has written The Spectrum Girl’s Survival Guide - the book I would have loved when I was diagnosed, as it feels like a reassuring hug, suggesting that everything will be okay. Other topics the publisher tackles includes PDA, being Transgender and on the spectrum, parenting when Autistic or parenting Autistic children - and so much more.

If you cover more of the spectrum - where there are gaps to be filled - you leave people like me feeling less isolated, as well as more understood. This could also be an educative tool - so that there is less discrimination, less prejudice. Publishing may have failed the community I am a part of - but at long last, it is changing. And it is so good to see.

Lydia Wilkins is a journalist with bylines in the Independent, Readers Digest, Refinery 29 and others. She also writes a weekly newsletter for other individuals, like her, who are on the Autistic spectrum.

Salubrious

Feelin' Healthy
kiwifarms.net
The people who like to threaten people’s free speech by deplatforming are the ones who think their freedom of speech is under attack when the targets of their harassment campaigns does the sensible thing and block them.
Hell, it was THIS thread way before the BLM Riots. Zhao begged forgiveness, delayed her book so she could "fix" it, left Twitter, and people were STILL pissed off at her. HOW DARE YOU LEAVE THE INTERNET! You need to stay here so we can yell at you more!

Edit: This is what I wrote on Page 4 of this thread on May 4, 2019.

I liked the tweet that "her silence caused more harm". She immediately apologized and left social media for months because people were "reee"ing at her, and then they claimed that her silence caused more harm even though she had already apologized and cancelled the book (in theory to rewrite it).

I know that nothing you do will ever please these people, but geez they chased Zhao off the internet and it pissed them off that she left. Apparently because she hadn't groveled enough or something.

Someone in a Tree

It's the ripple, not the sea that is happening
kiwifarms.net
Didn't know where to put this, but someone wrote a negative review of The Hate U Give, and now I'm laughing at the idea of Robin DiAngelo's book making anyone less ignorant about racial issues.

View attachment 1510156
Yeah, the only way you’ll learn about the true extent of racial oppression is to read some white bitch’s book.

MirrorNoir

Un, deux, trois, dit miroir noir
kiwifarms.net
What does Queen Taylor have to do with any of this?
Taylor Swift recently stopped being neutral and took sides in the culture war on the SJW side (though it may have been extorted given the behind the scenes stuff involving Soros royally fucking Swift over professionally with Soros funding several of Taylor's biggest enemies to steal her entire back catalog from her).

PurpleEater

kiwifarms.net
More lunacy lately.

A book about fags written by a fag is now apparently appropriating manga or something. This is a lot of energy for some teen drivel. Impressive, in a way, to be this mad about it.

Attachments

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Once again, there's "this is colonialism" talk when these are the same people who're raising money for BLM over in Japan.

Bara is the genre created by gay men for gay men to separate itself from BL. The BL genre was pioneered by Moto Hagio and Keiko Takemiya, both women, for other girls (her works were published in shoujo magazines), straight or otherwise. It's only been in recent years fudanshi have started cropping up, but the main demographic and creators are women. And they're typically rotten to the core, too.

I think we're at a point now where it's impossible to make something without it being compared to an anime/manga plot, but who fucking cares if an American author wants to play around with gay clichés akin to what you'd see in BL manga? Bitch needs to show the actual receipts from "Seven Days" that they're supposedly plagiarizing because apparently you can't be inspired by anything anymore. There's seven plots to write across all boards, so prove it's a beat-by-beat ripoff of your favorite BL or STFU.

Elwood P. Dowd

Turned Normie. Bye.
kiwifarms.net
A book about fags written by a fag is now apparently appropriating manga or something.
They don't even really seem all that close, at least from the on-line summary I'm reading. And many manga works have ripped off everything from Shakespeare to whatever through the years, right? Good grief, isn't the original inspiration of the first generation of manga artists in the 1950s and 1960s Disney? Meaning Manga itself is built on a foundation of appropriation.

FWIW, this book was criticized upon release by YA Twitter for making Republicans something other than cross burning, fag bashing, zap the gay away Nazis. Can't have that in the age of Drumpf. The fag author also had some kind of Drama Fag meltdown on Twitter in the face of the original criticism that sounded pretty funny. He'd already deleted by the time I heard of it, alas.

This is a lot of energy for some teen drivel.
YA twitter and the almost complete overlap on GoodReads is like some kind of free floating cancer looking for a new host to latch onto and attempt to destroy. Sometimes they do find arguably worthy targets, like Kathleen Hale or whoever, but most of the time it is just bullying people who believe 99.999% of the same things they do to conform in that last little bit.

Fictional Character

kiwifarms.net
Bara is the genre created by gay men for gay men to separate itself from BL. The BL genre was pioneered by Moto Hagio and Keiko Takemiya, both women, for other girls (her works were published in shoujo magazines), straight or otherwise. It's only been in recent years fudanshi have started cropping up, but the main demographic and creators are women. And they're typically rotten to the core, too.
Hearing some Japanese fujoshi talk about their favorite BL manga and how casually filthy they were was quite an eye-opening experience for me.

They don't even really seem all that close, at least from the on-line summary I'm reading. And many manga works have ripped off everything from Shakespeare to whatever through the years, right? Good grief, isn't the original inspiration of the first generation of manga artists in the 1950s and 1960s Disney? Meaning Manga itself is built on a foundation of appropriation.
The Disney influence on manga is usually extremely overstated in English sources, I assume mostly because it's something familiar for American scholars to use as a starting point. It mostly had influence on Osamu Tezuka who, while influential and with long-lasting career, is not all of manga. There were plenty of domestic influences such as prewar manga like Kurukuru Kurumi-chan and Norakuro (though Norakuro wasn't allowed to be republished in the immediate postwar years, since a lot of it revolved about killing stand-ins for the Chinese) and the immediate postwar boom in the kamishibai street theater. Shoujo manga in particular, a field where Tezuka only dabbled at best, had almost no Disney influences and its look owed a huge debt to prewar shoujo magazine artists like Jun'ichi Nakahara and Kasho Takabatake. Disney was just one ingredient in the amalgamation of influences that created postwar manga and this book the mob is outraged about is actually doing pretty much the same thing that happened with manga after the war: taking foreign influence (Disney/BL), adding it to local influence (prewar manga and art/being gay in the US), changing the medium (from animation to comics/from comics to novel) and turning out something new.

I think all this outrage is based on the fact that the novel goes against what the woke crowd wants cultural exchange to look like. They won't admit it, but the woke crowd really wants everywhere in the world to be just like the US and US artists being influenced by works from abroad goes against it. The extra strong hatred the wokes have for Japan is because it's a country that's exporting its culture into the US on large scale.

SpeedOSanicRee

Gotta Scroll Fast
kiwifarms.net
More lunacy lately.

A book about fags written by a fag is now apparently appropriating manga or something. This is a lot of energy for some teen drivel. Impressive, in a way, to be this mad about it.
Someone doesn't understand what the word plagiarism means. If it meant 'drawing inspiration from a previous idea' then pretty much anyone who has ever written a book or done anything else ever would be in jail right now.

Also, do people get mad when someone takes a promising (but failed) idea from a white person and improves it? Because otherwise, you're a hypocrite and need to shut up. Go write your own book.

Piga Dgrifm

Pita Griffin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Someone doesn't understand what the word plagiarism means. If it meant 'drawing inspiration from a previous idea' then pretty much anyone who has ever written a book or done anything else ever would be in jail right now.
Me: (writes a story where somebody gets murdered.)

Me: (is immediately arrested and charged for plagiarizing over ten million books, movies, plays, poems, paintings and TV shows.)

Bet the OP of those tweets would hate on Yaoi mangas most of the time. But, since this instance gives her a chance to ree about a Whitey, that's changed.

• Agree
Reactions: SpeedOSanicRee

jellycar

Bonjour, je suis Jelly Duvall
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Once again, there's "this is colonialism" talk when these are the same people who're raising money for BLM over in Japan.

I think we're at a point now where it's impossible to make something without it being compared to an anime/manga plot, but who fucking cares if an American author wants to play around with gay clichés akin to what you'd see in BL manga? Bitch needs to show the actual receipts from "Seven Days" that they're supposedly plagiarizing because apparently you can't be inspired by anything anymore. There's seven plots to write across all boards, so prove it's a beat-by-beat ripoff of your favorite BL or STFU.
Hey what about Riyoko Ikeda?

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Hey what about Riyoko Ikeda?
She's still super important to the manga industry, of course, but I didn't bring her up since her work was more about Girls' Love than BL, which was the more relevant discussion there.

• Feels
Reactions: jellycar

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not sure if this qualifies for YABookgate -- I'm not sure if YA is something this agency deals with -- but it fits the larger theme of "random sex weirdo on Twitter has a shitfit about some anodyne statement and successfully gets someone fired" that is running rampant through the literary world. The Tobias Agency, by the way, currently has its feed protected, so I assume they're taking shit from both sides, some of which is most definitely deserved.

Madeline Pine, by the way, seems to be a nobody -- just a random enby / tranny / fruitcake who was lucky enough to have its tantrum go viral enough to cost somebody their job. I follow a ton of writers on Twitter, so I do see her/his/its tweets somewhat frequently. All I know about her is that she's a "sensitivity reader," which I take as evidence that such people are exactly the sort of insane censorious fuckheads I assume them to be.

Attachments

Tags
None