Anthem - EA’s next PR disaster after BF 5

Dick Justice

Where have all the cowdogs gone?
kiwifarms.net
I'm all for hopping on the "fuck plebbit" bandwagon, but in this case the hyperbole just isn't accurate. All these major AAA MP games are made now to have the longest tail possible, to be games where you can endlessly nickel-and-dime your customers over dlc, season passes, micro-transactions, etc. Basically everything that makes games like Siege abhorrent. To do that you need a healthy player population that can 1. keep the game active both from within and without (videos, mods, guides, comics, forum threads, etc.) and 2. peer-pressure their friends into buying it. Without that, you don't have much of a business model game. Anyone remember Lawbreakers?

And of course there's simply the bad publicity angle on a game that's already getting plenty.

Pargon

Internet Segregationist
kiwifarms.net
I'm all for hopping on the "fuck plebbit" bandwagon, but in this case the hyperbole just isn't accurate. All these major AAA MP games are made now to have the longest tail possible, to be games where you can endlessly nickel-and-dime your customers over dlc, season passes, micro-transactions, etc. Basically everything that makes games like Siege abhorrent. To do that you need a healthy player population that can 1. keep the game active both from within and without (videos, mods, guides, comics, forum threads, etc.) and 2. peer-pressure their friends into buying it. Without that, you don't have much of a business model game. Anyone remember Lawbreakers?

And of course there's simply the bad publicity angle on a game that's already getting plenty.
Maybe, but boycotting in the name of "bring that bug back because we like it!!!" is the behavior of a spoilt exceptional. If they cared about balancing like they supposedly did pre-patch then they'd have shut the fuck up by now, or at least started focusing on other issues. Instead they think they're entitled to Crazy Eddie's bonkers drop rates because their launch experience was suboptimal with a game that had every sign of shipping with problems of every kind.

Miller

You're gonna extract HIM?!
kiwifarms.net
I suppose if the servers are empty it'd be harder for anyone to play with other people cooperative?
The problem with their big brain idea is that - like Pargon said - they're playing into EA's game: if the playerbase is close to 0 then EA will stop supporting the game (patch and post-launch content) and move the small dev team to another game.
They could also continue to tell others not to buy it
Exactly but they're Reddit.

Guntburglar

Juss hadv a free borger bite
kiwifarms.net
The moment that dialation stations are first shoehorned into a game to normalizethis degeneracy, then that is the point of no return. Humanity will indubitlity collapse as a species.

BrunoMattei

Vincent Dawn
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Maybe, but boycotting in the name of "bring that bug back because we like it!!!" is the behavior of a spoilt exceptional. If they cared about balancing like they supposedly did pre-patch then they'd have shut the fuck up by now, or at least started focusing on other issues. Instead they think they're entitled to Crazy Eddie's bonkers drop rates because their launch experience was suboptimal with a game that had every sign of shipping with problems of every kind.
My dude, you have no idea how your post perfectly describes the Dead by Daylight community.

Catgirl IRL

kiwifarms.net
I've been autistically obsessed with Div 2, but peeked in on the Anthem sub-reddit, and I've never seen such a flat reception settle in. At least Fallout 76 was hate going for it - even Anthems bigger fans are fading into a pattern of mediocre shit posting.

The 'new content" is just turning up the frequency of regular events.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
I've been autistically obsessed with Div 2, but peeked in on the Anthem sub-reddit, and I've never seen such a flat reception settle in. At least Fallout 76 was hate going for it - even Anthems bigger fans are fading into a pattern of mediocre shit posting.

The 'new content" is just turning up the frequency of regular events.
Fallout 76 had the "benefit" if being the only "Fallout" type to come out in a while and it will be a long time until Bethesda does anything else so people looking for that kind of game play don't have many options and thus stay mad about it. Also, while Bethesda doesn't have the best reputation, I don't think anyone was expecting Fallout 76 to be a bomb on the magnitude that it was considering they've been making "that game" (Fallout 3/Elder scrolls style RPGs) for a very long time and this was supposed to be just "that game" + online co-op. Some people also believe that to some degree that Bethesda is going to try and "fix" it (similar to ESO being fixed) and in the end it will rise all the way up to mediocre.

Anthem only really had a month to get established in a very tough market (because Destiny 2 is allegedly "kind of OK" and Warframe is "Good, and also free") because Division 2 was right around the corner. People aren't mad about Anthem because the expectations were low from Bioware (coming off of the smash hit Mass Effect : Andromeda) and they typically don't make "this game" (online co-op shooters with robots). Very few people think that EA is going to "fix" Anthem or support it in any meaningful way long term, as well.

neural

It is what it is 'cept it ain't what it used to be
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

A surprisingly good behind-the-scenes from Kotaku of all places. The original idea for Anthem actually sounds pretty cool.
Jason Schreier is a cuck and a dickweed, but his longreads are almost always worth checking out.

The real problem isn't that the concept changed, plenty of hit games start off as completely different things initially (RE4's early concept turning into Devil May Cry is a famous one), the real problem is that they didn't lock down their intended vision before entering production, that is almost always a disaster.

I also think a lot of the problems of this game were amplified due to Frostbite, that sounds like one hell of an PITA to work with, and because of that, it affects iteration rate quite badly too (what takes a day would now take a week..etc).

Miller

You're gonna extract HIM?!
kiwifarms.net
From the first reveal at E3 it was clear that they had nothing, no vision. The whole thing felt like a checklist, especially in terms of facial animation, they made sure to show how "real" the guy looked.
I also think a lot of the problems of this game were amplified due to Frostbite
Sure but it's their third game with that engine and it seems like they've learned nothing from past developments (except maybe how to not have greasy faces, thanks to DA: Cisquisition). They can't blame the engine everytime, ME2 and 3 run on UE3 and they were shit too.

neural

It is what it is 'cept it ain't what it used to be
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sure but it's their third game with that engine and it seems like they've learned nothing from past developments (except maybe how to not have greasy faces, thanks to DA: Cisquisition). They can't blame the engine everytime, ME2 and 3 run on UE3 and they were shit too.
Frostbite is such a shittily-made engine, it really takes a ton of work to implement the most basic things. The article talked about them having to create brand-new modules just to have 3rd-person view when they 1st started working on it.

It's such a raw, and unsupported engine, that doing the most basic things just takes up far more time and effort vs say, Unreal engine or Unity. EA just went with it because it saves on licensing costs.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino