Anthem - EA’s next PR disaster after BF 5

Ruin

Big tiddy Nazi GF
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Maybe they just had a 2 year plan of making a game and the rest of the 10 years is scheduled to be used for heroin-infused parties with all the dosh they made by selling it?
To me it looks like they never really had an outline for this game and the directive from EA was "give us a game that we can use to sell lootboxes."

LonnieRohn

Buy my games
kiwifarms.net

So not only is the game crap but it shuts off PS4s at random. When that happens too often it fucking wreck your PS4 too.

Imagine being that dumb asshole that actually buys broken shit games like FO76 or Anthem. Then you get banned for suspected hacking after putting in 900 hours or it just fucking destroys your console. It's like the Darwin Awards with video games. If you actually buy Anthem you deserve whatever's coming to you because you're the same kind of stupid fucker who would fall for pyramid schemes. In the future we will have triple A games straight up blowing up consoles with shills on Reddit writing out defenses on their iPhones from the hospital that it's perfectly playable as long as you sit away further from the TV to minimize the bleeding.
It's not just the PS4 it also the XBOX ONE and the PC as well

this have gone to be one of the worst mess I've seen yet
there also info that the game write over the BIOS flash memory "to make it faster"

Corypheus

Totally not evil
kiwifarms.net
It's not just the PS4 it also the XBOX ONE and the PC as well
View attachment 686141
View attachment 686142

this have gone to be one of the worst mess I've seen yet
there also info that the game write over the BIOS flash memory "to make it faster"
View attachment 686144
Wha..... How the fuck do you even do that?! I’ve never heard of any program doing anything like that. How would you even fix it? I know Frostbite is a pain that every developer besides Dice has to half-build from scratch whenever they make a new game, but wow.

RJ MacReady

cheating bitch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Wha..... How the fuck do you even do that?! I’ve never heard of any program doing anything like that. How would you even fix it? I know Frostbite is a pain that every developer besides Dice has to half-build from scratch whenever they make a new game, but wow.
The state of video gaming: It took three months for a studio to release a AAA game which is worse programmed than Fallout 76. It cost 100 million dollars to make.

Coolio55

DON'T CALL LUIGI AT 3AM!! *OMG HE RICKROLLED ME*
kiwifarms.net
REEEEEEE post so take with a grain of salt but apparently all the guns and abilities are almost identical and the stats are basically meaningless.

moocow

Moo.
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 686144
I can certainly buy that the game is bricking consoles and crashing PCs (it sounds to me like it's causing overheating and the garbage consumer-grade console gear can't cope with it), but the "hard drive in raw mode" and "overwriting the BIOS" bits are absolute horseshit.

You don't get to write directly to the hard disk on Windows (or Linux or MacOS) without superuser (elevated) access and even then there's literally no reason you'd ever want to actually do this to a mounted volume -- you'll immediately wreck the filesystem and cause data loss. Unless you're writing a disk utility, you don't do this. It doesn't even make any sense anyway. Why would the game need to be writing things to the disk during regular play, and why would it need to write things at such a high speed that it'd need to "bypass" the cache? Also, writing data to disk has nothing to do with the paging system -- that's the memory manager's purview and paging is unrelated to file I/O operations.

As for "overwriting the BIOS," ever wonder why every motherboard manufacturer has their own custom utility for flashing BIOS upgrades, sometimes differing even between revisions of the same motherboard? It's because practically every board has its own ever-so-slightly-different procedure for flashing a new BIOS image or modifying CMOS settings. It's a very precise and specific sequence of steps and everyone does it a little bit differently. A game would have no idea how to try to flash someone's BIOS at random, and even if it did, it'd need elevated privileges to even attempt it. And overwriting video card firmware? Maximum kek.

Methinks the quoted 4chan post there is a troll or a very misinformed "enthusiast."

Ruin

Big tiddy Nazi GF
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 686949
Guys... I don't know if I can keep going on like this... tell my family and the Bioware devs I love them...
maybe I'm just a hardass bitch but Capcom released two stellar games in a row (RE2make and DMCV) and they're still not back in my good graces yet. I can't even imagine reaching the levels of cuck this dude has.

Oh Shit I'm Sorry

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
kiwifarms.net
You're forgetting Monster Hunter : World, but trust is easily lost and hard to win back.

EDIT - Megaman 11 was alleged to be "OK".
RE7 and the MHGU port were both good too. I think you'd have to go all the way back to MvC Infinite to find the last actual bad game they've released.

Yeah, allegedly someone counted the shots and his level 1 weapon killed enemies faster than the level 41. Which I don't even know how you fuck that up since that shit is really just basic math.
It speaks to just how much of a massive fuckup Anthem is that they managed to create a looter shooter wherein the actual loot is inferior to some starting weapon. Compare it to Borderlands where trying to kill an enemy with a weapon 5-10 levels lower than it was usually like trying to break down a door with only your fists (extremely inefficient and somewhat painful). Anthem seems to go out of its way at every possible opportunity to give people reasons not to play it.

Miller

You're gonna extract HIM?!
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, allegedly someone counted the shots and his level 1 weapon killed enemies faster than the level 41. Which I don't even know how you fuck that up since that shit is really just basic math.
I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't a bug but a deliberate decision to make the game more inclusive/noob friendly. It kinda makes sense if you add the cloud of incredible damage numbers next to the crosshair and the amount of post-effects to blind/impress the players and make them think that they're Iron Man.

Annie

Fire-Bear Cyberbully Girl
kiwifarms.net
So fucking dumb, that whole "level 1 gun does as much damage as a level 41 gun thing".

If they were actually toting themselves as an MMORPG instead of a "looter shooter hurrdurr" they'd be getting fucked even harder right now.

I stuck a fuckload of time into Destiny 1 and that game, if nothing else, understood why you played it- higher damage numbers, better loot and the challenge of doing something underleveled or not the ways the devs intended. The devs actually had to massively nerf one specific gun in Destiny 1 because it did so much damage to endgame content, and people would demand you have it for end game content.

See this quote from the Reddit dev response to this dumpster fire-
"...scaling systems are supposed to allow low level players to play with high level players to be effective against high level enemies... "

No. That's not how looter shooters work. If you want to play the high level content, grind to get to it. I don't want my raid party to be half filled with level 1 fuckos who are just gonna look at the pretty numbers for fifteen minutes and quit.

EA is the last company that should ever put a game out in the vain of Destiny/an MMORPG. They're fixated on quick, mindless cash ins. That's how they made so much money off the first Battlefront remake- the demo was great and they promised "Battlefield-level of content" in the main game. That got people to pre-order.

... The game had next to no content, customization, anything. I know maybe two people who played it or had it installed for more than twenty minutes. They can't support a game in the long-term.

Look at Square Enix, or even Blizzard with all their recent fuck-ups. Final Fantasy XI Online came out in 2002, and is still supported on PC to this day. It was the last PS2 game with active online servers. Square is supporting it until every last motherfucker drops FFXI for FFXIV. 17 years already is a very long time. World of Warcraft isn't going anywhere.

My point is, unless you can guarantee a good online service, fuck off. EA can't, and I hope they go bankrupt making shit "games as services".

Raging Capybara

kiwifarms.net
Why would the game need to be writing things to the disk during regular play, and why would it need to write things at such a high speed that it'd need to "bypass" the cache?
You are talking about a game with 2 minutes long loading times for every room you enter. Bioware programmers are lolcows.

Maybe they were so desperate trying to make the game faster that they decided to follow the most exceptional path and turn the game almost in a malware.

Tanner Glass

kiwifarms.net
I stuck a fuckload of time into Destiny 1 and that game, if nothing else, understood why you played it- higher damage numbers, better loot and the challenge of doing something underleveled or not the ways the devs intended. The devs actually had to massively nerf one specific gun in Destiny 1 because it did so much damage to endgame content, and people would demand you have it for end game content.
That's the beauty of how shitty Anthem is and why this particular "bug" (it's more than a bug) so hilarious.

The "better loot" guns did do higher damage on paper. When you shoot a creature with a level 45 masterwork/epic/what the fuck ever gun, it would do 1200 damage visibly, on the damage popup but only like 3% actual health damage to the enem).

The lower level version of the gun does less damage visibly, like 350 on the damage popup, but would do more actual damage to the enemy, like 15% of his bar, on the same enemy from before. It isn't really a "bug" so much as the game is actively lying to you about the damage you are doing or your opponent's health pool (or both).

The game is showing "bigger numbers" for "better guns", the problem is that there's some wacky bullshit health scaling nonsense going on. Some people have speculated that Anthem was so rushed out the door that they didn't have time to figure out an actual scaling power curve and instead just slapped together some smoke and mirrors to make it look like there was math in the game by having different weapons do % health damage instead of math damage. I can't wait for players to figure out what went wrong (because the developer will never admit it).

Additionally, players are baffled that this wasn't caught in any testing phase because as you mentioned, "better loot, cooler guns" is literally bullet point #1 on a list of reasons people would bother to play the game. I think it was rather nice of them to just give you the best weapon in the game the moment you start instead of trying to hide them in lootboxes.

Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

We are on the Brave BAT program. Consider using Brave as your Browser. It's like Chrome but doesn't tell Google what you masturbate to.

BTC: 1EiZnCKCb6Dc4biuto2gJyivwgPRM2YMEQ
BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s
ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5
LTC: LcDkAj4XxtoPWP5ucw75JadMcDfurwupet
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino