• ”Normally we would use lemons but this time we will use a stick”

Diseased #ComicsgateThe Culture Wars Hit The Funny Books!

Discussion in 'Community Watch' started by neural, Jan 6, 2018.

1. Basic economics sums up the problem very well. The only good comics are those that return emotional investment with interest (i.e. emotional payoffs, emotionally satisfactory conclusions, emotional highs and lows) and thus series which reliably make a decent return get a lot of people investing in them, and because limited and self contained series have a definitive beginning and end there is far less chance for the writer to fuck up and lose all that investment.

However with ongoing series, this investment will inevitably be just straight up wiped out when the story and characters are made to radically change beyond recognition by exec/editorial order or the personal whim/autism of a new writer/writing team. When this happens repeatedly, investors all start pulling out and treat the property like its radioactive and will instead put their investment in more reliable properties.

This is inevitable even if the entire writing team and every member of the company is nothing but nice and kind and tolerant and accepting of both readers as a whole and critical fans in particular. When the writers and company goons straight up declare everyone who withdraws investment a depraved rape-nazi manbaby and creates comics of them as caricatured subhuman neckbeard bigot scumbags well....withdrawing that investment becomes a whole lot easier.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 2
    Judge Holden

Judge Holden Corpsefucker
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  2. Further update on woke comics Twitter eating itself. Here we have Taneka Stotts (who won an Eisner for the wet fart that is the Elements Fire anthology) facing off with Jen.
    444F7188-502D-403D-9A47-F15BF8CC80E0.png 599C9B78-D1EA-4AEA-BCF8-FE207F65EBB8.png FDC19E1C-4523-47B7-89CC-4E128181EBC1.png 52E15D97-69C7-4269-A56B-E41D30492E11.png

Anyone got time to follow this? Heading into work.

• 🤔 Thunkful x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Powerlevel Powerlevel x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  3. Yeah. A changing demographic that doesn't spend money on your comics. Way to go Marvel. They can go fuck themselves at this point..

• Agree Agree x 7
    kiwifarms.net
  4. It's come up before and it's not, at least not how people think it works. It's mostly fudging of numbers and misleading data assuming decades of static trends from people who want that outcome for whatever reason. I bet most people are aware of race not having clear cut borders and the old "one drop" thing, this creates issues for census data. You also have people who push for certain groups to be excluded from "white", Latinos being a perfect example as the label only means you're from Latin America. Also keep in mind, mixed people with light skin tend to consider themselves "white" after a generation or two. Honestly if you fuck around with your definitions, you can basically argue white people never existed or everyone will be white by whatever year of your choosing.

A "brown America" isn't happening for the foreseeable future and even if it did, it's more likely to be a bunch of pale skinned American mongrels shouting "I'M NOT WHITE, I'M 1/256 CHEROKEE!" to each other while their cousins in the Islamic Caliphate of Europe laugh at them. So...not really that different from right now.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    #5644 RockVolnutt, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    kiwifarms.net
  5. The problem with citing Killing Joke, Dark Knight and Watchmen is that they're all metatextual and wouldn't make a lick of sense without the tens of thousands of sincere comics that preceded them. That said, you're right to a degree, but I'd throw entire runs up there. Claremont's X-Men. Byrne's Fantastic Four. Denny O'Neil and later Chuck Dixon's Batman. Wolfman and Perez's Teen Titans. They're not easy to recommend to newbies in the "oh you wanna get into comics, read this!" sense, but they're highly regarded, highly reference, and highly copied runs that lasted, and have endured, for decades. And the one thing all those runs have in common? The writers/artists weren't the creators of the characters, but built upon the legacy of those who came before them. Not everything has to be one-and-done like manga, but I think you have to build up what made the comics good and not just tear shit down because you don't like the status quo.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 4
    kiwifarms.net
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Horrifying Horrifying x 1
    #5646 damian, Oct 10, 2018
    damian

damian Not *cough* Zack.

kiwifarms.net
  6. White Mexican.

• Informative Informative x 5
    Iwasamwillbe

Iwasamwillbe Nuclear Chaos, Daemon Sultan, Blind Idiot God

kiwifarms.net
  7. This dude is probably a good example of what I was talking about in the previous post.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    kiwifarms.net
  8. Bendis typically does best with street-level crime stories, his typical writing choices lend themselves far better to that particular subset of comics.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    neural

neural rambunscious boy
    True & Honest Fan

kiwifarms.net
  9. I'm pretty sure ComicsGate can't hear this idiot over the sound of how broke Marvel is going and how loudly people aren't going to buy this pathetic trash.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    AnOminous

AnOminous boo
    True & Honest Fan Retired Staff

kiwifarms.net
  10. I remember seeing that once when in a cracked photoplasty, someone submitted something like... "if you calculate all of history, more whites have been enslaved than other races." Immediately the comment section freaked out and started getting into what you note above and "those weren't really whites" kind of games. It really started to become comical at one point.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Feels Feels x 2
    Flexo

Flexo Welcome to the Future.

kiwifarms.net
  11. SJWs eating their own. Appears that it all stems from a candid 30min interview that i09 turned into a 2min long social justice piece from almost a month ago. https://io9.gizmodo.com/artist-jen-bartel-on-turning-fan-art-into-a-comics-care-1829055445 (frankly she should apologise to the Asians, those sailor moon drawings were much worse than the black drawings shown).

There are two answers in this interview I've shortened. On promoting disenfranchised artists (note disenfranchised is taken to mean minorities, i would take it to mean good artists that cant get eyeballs on their work and become disenfranchised, but whatever) - Answer: now it feels like i have a social responsibility to find and highlight people especially those starting out, particularly those from marginalized backgrounds.

On drawing black hair
    - 2-3years ago when starting pro work, she couldn't draw 'black' diverse hair very well and now people can't do escapism and always project themselves onto characters so it's important to get it right. Jen recognized her weaknesses and actively worked at improving drawing black hair. 'It's something that is so like culturally significant and important to most black people' (problem statement they are all bitching about) and when drawing something you respect that's what naturally happens so she spent the last few years studying it and trying to improve. Cue the REEEEEEE i might add more later
    Seems like the timeline goes: interview ->How dare you have a candid answer for a candid question, how dare you talk about improving your artwork to more accurately represent people, why didn't you interrogate the interviewer about their super racism?
    upload_2018-10-11_11-48-50.png
    You may have a point and i could have phrased my response better
    upload_2018-10-11_11-49-17.png
    Yo, i said his point was fair and tried to contact him, can you stop calling me a bigot?
    upload_2018-10-11_11-49-39.png
    (Read bottom tweets first) I apologise please stop hitting me, it's all my fault
    upload_2018-10-11_11-50-2.png
    I apologise for taking pride in my work and effort into drawing something accurately
    upload_2018-10-11_11-50-32.png
    Don't @ the other dude, because he is just going to have another fit
    upload_2018-10-11_11-51-3.png
    I am extremely woke, more woke than you
    upload_2018-10-11_11-51-27.png
    I concede your point, i09 made this a SoJus interview not me, i thought it was a good idea to emphasize hard work to draw something accurately. you could have approached me in private rather than ranting about it in public
    upload_2018-10-11_11-51-41.png
    Look at this reply.
    IDK dude maybe because she came from fan-art (I'm guessing mostly anime) and wasn't very good at drawing black people, recognized her weakness put in a lot of effort to improve and is now proud that her drawings of 'black folks' are more accurate as a result. It's almost like you have to put practice and effort into something to become better at it, but I'm sure she's now very sorry that she wasn't born with the magic touch of drawing black folks real good with little effort
    upload_2018-10-11_11-51-59.png
    How dare you block people! How dare you deem it bad faith because they are all calling you racist, we should all be attacking i09 for not being woke enough
    upload_2018-10-11_11-54-24.png
    There are multiple accusations of the absolute crime of quote tweeting or sliding into Dms
    upload_2018-10-11_11-54-59.png
    Nah you didn't want to show the world how woke you are and get those goodboy arse pats at all
    upload_2018-10-11_11-55-22.png

Sidebar: who hasn't seen articles about how whitey cant wear afro, corn-rows, dreads or get weaves, etc because that's black peoples hair or that shampoo is racist because particular brand doesn't cater to darky in their main line? it almost seems culturally significant or something. There was a 00s sitcom (Scrubs?) where a joke was; just compliment the black woman's hair and walk away.

• Informative Informative x 14
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    #5652 Jub-Jub, Oct 10, 2018
    kiwifarms.net
  12. So the tl,dr I'm getting from this is another case of SJWs eating their own over an innocuous comment that anyone without a Masters Degree in Decolonization of Beyonce would've at most rolled their eyes at and moved on, but since it's CURRENT YEAR they gotta be put before the Comics Inquisition and have everything they said scrutinized for ideological purity until they slip up because all these hipsters know how to do is tear people down rather than lifting themselves up.

In other words, pure :autism:

• Agree Agree x 13
    • Feels Feels x 1
    • Autistic Autistic x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  13. Chris Kindred the most vocal complainer doesn't draw hair in his twitter avatar. Hmmm, I wonder why?
    I mean he obviously cares about black hair, it seems culturally important to him
    upload_2018-10-11_13-24-44.png

upload_2018-10-11_13-19-1.png
    upload_2018-10-11_13-19-52.png
    upload_2018-10-11_13-20-17.png
    upload_2018-10-11_13-20-34.png
    upload_2018-10-11_13-20-57.png
    upload_2018-10-11_13-21-26.png
    upload_2018-10-11_13-22-0.png
    upload_2018-10-11_13-22-23.png Fucking LOL

Look at his glorious shit-locks
    upload_2018-10-11_13-27-57.png upload_2018-10-11_13-28-23.png

Attached Files:

• Islamic Content Islamic Content x 5
    kiwifarms.net
  14. So shitty people being shitty to other shitty people. Neat.

• Agree Agree x 6
    damian

damian Not *cough* Zack.

kiwifarms.net
  15. [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    kiwifarms.net
  16. Does anyone else realize that suddenly sonichu tier writing is praised?
    I mean that mojo dialogue is the exact same shit as this, right?
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 4
    • Islamic Content Islamic Content x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  17. So this is that beta black men demographic, Marvel has been pandering to with Captain Antifa Sam Wilson, Delivery Man Blade and Low T Luke Cage.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • 🤔 Thunkful x 1
    damian

damian Not *cough* Zack.

kiwifarms.net
  18. God both their wording is so passive aggressive faux intellectual. Can't they just discuss things normally like actual fucking people? And this guy seems like a salty jealous fuck. Jen is a SJW but at least she's got some amount of talent even if it is "bland hot girl looking into the camera same face' talent.

I would hope this experience makes Jen take stock of her SJW 'friends' who all turn on her the minute she says something problematic but it sounds like she's doubling down and apologising for...drawing black hair well?These people are petty much piranhas waiting to pick apart your corpse. Who the fuck wants to walk around on eggshells with these people? Whoever chooses these assholes is a moron.

• Agree Agree x 10
    kiwifarms.net
  19. Chris-Kin: You shouldn’t praise yourself for putting in hours to practice drawing black hair! You should’ve just been good at drawing black people in the first place!

Also Chris-Kin: Draws hair as a bunch of half-assed scribbles & colors/shades like ass

I see where his real problem with Jen lies.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    kiwifarms.net
  • About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. These people are commonly referred to as Lolcows and are each distinct thanks to their erratic public behavior. Spectators are encouraged to join discussion. The wealth of opinions and knowledge shared by users is what has enabled this peculiar fringe community to thrive despite the incredible adversity and contention brought by those we discuss.

We do not place ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

• Supporting the Forum

BTC: 1LXpv9FUiazGB2LVyS44cTTEQFc8CBgPYi

BTC+SW: bc1qwv5fzv9u6arksw6ytf79gfvce078vprtc0m55s

ETH: 0xc1071c60ae27c8cc3c834e11289205f8f9c78ca5

LTC: LNjmyhxThrTMY4izBdcdWqvW287LmCB6bg

XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino

Copyright © 2016 Lolcow LLC
This website may contain offensive or adult content.
Discontinue browsing if it is illegal or against your wishes to see such material.
All content belongs to their respective authors and does not represent Lolcow LLC.
We have not been served any secret court orders and are not under any gag orders.