Infected #Comicsgate - The Culture Wars Hit The Funny Books!

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 965235
Twitter poll results just before Ethan retweets.
I'll add the final results when It's over. It is already radically shifting.
Too bad he simultaneously showed how it's possible for crowdfunding to be incredibly successful while also showing why it's shit and once artists get the money they shit themselves and do nothing. EVS at least actually finally delivered but he spent months publicly chimping out and acting like a dick in public, spending hours and hours every day on livestreams while people were waiting for what they paid for.

Gee Willows Wilson!

Holy Hijab, Ms. Marvel!
kiwifarms.net
Joe, honey... This is New York City Comic Con... of course these two pictures look packed. But the sales are sales.

The shops dying, that's real. How many stories do you hear of people like me who went from $100+ pulls to occasionally picking on an issue here and there? Comics industry is DYING, not DEAD. Yes, you can get a fuck tonne of people coming to NYCCC when most of the venue is about exclusive toys, movies, anime/manga and TV... How many people were there to hear about Zoe Quinn's Addams Family run? You're a moron and disingenuous.

Too bad he simultaneously showed how it's possible for crowdfunding to be incredibly successful while also showing why it's shit and once artists get the money they shit themselves and do nothing. EVS at least actually finally delivered but he spent months publicly chimping out and acting like a dick in public, spending hours and hours every day on livestreams while people were waiting for what they paid for.
But also commenting on how a two hour drawn and quartered show is distracting comic creators who should be working on their books... Almost everyone has been late with their projects. He should just be happy they haven't been as late as Hawaii Dick or Leifeld or a lot of other scummy shits like Kwanzer putting his crowdfunded book on shelves before the people who gave him money up front.

AnOminous

I'm not mad at anyone, honest.
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
But also commenting on how a two hour drawn and quartered show is distracting comic creators who should be working on their books... Almost everyone has been late with their projects. He should just be happy they haven't been as late as Hawaii Dick or Leifeld or a lot of other scummy shits like Kwanzer putting his crowdfunded book on shelves before the people who gave him money up front.
Wasn't Meyer on time despite having his publisher literally fuck him over thanks to Mark Waid?

7proxy

kiwifarms.net
Too bad he simultaneously showed how it's possible for crowdfunding to be incredibly successful while also showing why it's shit and once artists get the money they shit themselves and do nothing.
I agree for the most part but to be fair, a lot of this is just growing pains. Look at Ya Boi Zack and how much he improved since his first Jawbreakers – Lost Souls campaign. I'm pretty sure he was months late on the one Waid torpedoed but he's got this shit on lock now.

Those that are the most late are artists who decided to take on the roles of writer/editor/publisher all at once. I hope that CG can evolve into something more cohesive and more structured instead of everyone self-publishing their stuff. Mitch Breitweiser got the right idea with creating Allegiance but he did so at the cost of his own Red Rooster comic. Somebody's got to bite the bullet and choose one: draw comics or publish comics.

I wonder why we don't hear more about Peter Simeti. Maybe I haven't followed the scene closely enough but he seems to have the publishing and distribution thing down (when he's not getting SWAT'ed) so if he created a more "prestige" imprint for CG's big hitters it could be their path to a more streamlined process.

Jub-Jub

kiwifarms.net
View attachment 965235
Twitter poll results just before Ethan retweets.
I'll add the final results when It's over. It is already radically shifting.
Twitter polls are exceptional due to the bubbles twitter naturally creates and brigading efforts.
Joe, honey... This is New York City Comic Con... of course these two pictures look packed. But the sales are sales.
How much do they sell books for at these conventions? I saw a few pros bragging about selling hundreds of copies of their books (not that i believe them), but if its at RRP of $5 and they sell 500 (x to doubt) then they made $2500, minus travel costs, table expenses, etc they'd be getting about 2 grand. Probably seems like a lot to these broke weirdos and it's not bad for a weekend, but if you had an audience you could make that in hours on a kickstarter.

Also super duper smart of Joe to post that just before this news dropped

Wasn't Meyer on time despite having his publisher literally fuck him over thanks to Mark Waid?
I think the second one, that i can never remember the name of, that he used as a pilot to see if he could ship jawbreakers himself was ~a month off and jawbreakers was a few months late.

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
I wonder why we don't hear more about Peter Simeti. Maybe I haven't followed the scene closely enough but he seems to have the publishing and distribution thing down (when he's not getting SWAT'ed) so if he created a more "prestige" imprint for CG's big hitters it could be their path to a more streamlined process.
Guys like EVS and Ya Boi won't go to Peter, partially because they want to be independent, but the main reason is that he's already been heavily targeted like the swatting you mentioned just for being polite to CG guys. They probably want to give Peter some breathing room for his own good.

This is happening though
Alterna Comics - YouTube - www.youtube.com.png

5t3n0g0ph3r

Resident Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I have a cousin that goes to Cons all the time, and she's never picked up a comic book in her life.
The only people I know who go to comic cons don't even read comics, and the only people I know who still read comics don't go to comic cons.
I have picked up comics at my city's large convention in the past, but I haven't been there for a while (quite honestly, I'm not sure I'll go back thanks to Weeb Wars).

Gee Willows Wilson!

Holy Hijab, Ms. Marvel!
kiwifarms.net
Ah, Ah, Ah I did say "almost"

As for me, I do actually got to comic conventions to try and find whatever issues I can't find at my LCS, but with the con pricing it's very rare I get anything. This year though, I did manage to pick up a huge amount of 'Lone Wolf and Cub' manga.

Comicsgeist

Yeah, no.
kiwifarms.net
I agree for the most part but to be fair, a lot of this is just growing pains. Look at Ya Boi Zack and how much he improved since his first Jawbreakers – Lost Souls campaign. I'm pretty sure he was months late on the one Waid torpedoed but he's got this shit on lock now.
I'm pretty sure I've heard Zack mention that his very first attempt on kickstarter earned a pittiful ammount of money and took THREE YEARS to deliver, so he may be slick Dick now, but it's far easier to deliver when you're just the writer farming out the art . He got a harsh slap of reality back when he was doing it all by himself for the first time though.

Those that are the most late are artists who decided to take on the roles of writer/editor/publisher all at once. I hope that CG can evolve into something more cohesive and more structured instead of everyone self-publishing their stuff. Mitch Breitweiser got the right idea with creating Allegiance but he did so at the cost of his own Red Rooster comic. Somebody's got to bite the bullet and choose one: draw comics or publish comics.
I think the slow uptake for Mitch's latest offering reflects the gun-shy nature of consumers that are yet to recieve delivery of the inital project they backed.
I'm also kind of confused by Mitch's model.
He's croudfunding his Imprint launch with 3 comics, which look great BTW, I've always been of the opinion that his books are probably the best that CG has to offer because he's made the wise decision to work with proven writers and employed an editorial staff, but he's trying to ride two horses here, crowdfunding AND the direct market. As an international customer his $30 shipping charge means that even at a lower tier I'd still be paying more then $20 a comic.
This leaves me to wonder why the hell I'd pay so far over the odds for a book that I'll probably be able to buy for $5 in a couple of months time? It doesn't make a lot of sense which is probably why Mitch is being so coy about the how delivery of future issues is going to work.

Well Alterna has it's own baggage but the reality is that CG needs a publishing house that can offer contracted editorial and publishing services. Perhaps Mitch's new Allegience imprint could offer contract services at a per page price that would be a handy earner for them and offer economies of scale to CG creators. You already have Eric Weathers lettering about 90% of CG projects, add an editorial service and perhaps print management to that and things might run more smoothly for creators.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: 7proxy

5t3n0g0ph3r

Resident Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm pretty sure I've heard Zack mention that his very first attempt on kickstarter earned a pittiful ammount of money and took THREE YEARS to deliver, so he may be slick Dick now, but it's far easier to deliver when you're just the writer farming out the art . He got a harsh slap of reality back when he was doing it all by himself for the first time though.

Apparently, he tried to re-release Yonchi but it failed:
As you can see, he renamed it and scrubbed it.

He did succeed in a Kickstarter of a colored version of his first one-shot, No Enemy, But Peace:

He also wanted to create a project called The Frozen Chosin (he used panels later used in Chosin: Hold the Line):
As you can see, it flopped.

I also found an article on CBR from 2009 talking about these projects:

Comicsgeist

Yeah, no.
kiwifarms.net
@Comicsgeist a couple of different people in the scene offer editorial
That may be, but how many people are taking advantage of them? (I'd be interested to know)

There are people out there in CG that can fulfil various production functions, but if there was one (or preferably more) publishing house had the capacity to offer a full editorial, lettering, print file management and a deal with a printer, all at a reasonable cost then an economy of scale could be achieved. That might help to address issues like pricing and overburdened creators running late (or 17 fucking pages of exposition and an unnecessary recap of a naff 90’s comic that really belongs in the ashcan).

Of course many creators probably can't afford these extras, because another elephant in the room is the fact that a crowd funded comic really needs to hit a minimum of 35k (in my estimation) to really make the effort worthwhile and ensure everybody involved doesn't feel like their months of efforts were all expended for peanuts at best or wasted altogether at worst.

CheezzyMach

Hulkamania Brother!
kiwifarms.net
I wonder how bad things are going to have to get before Joe and the hacks at Marvel will start listening to fans again.

Even Dan Didio acknowledges the Industry has a problem.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino