Dragon Ball Thread - Includes Z and Super (and GT if you really want to talk about that); also includes Abridged

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Masako is an even worse Goku than Schemmel, there I said it.
That's because someone (I don't remember who) wanted TFS to be as close to the original Japanese broadcast as possible so they chose Masako for his high pitched voice because it was the closest they could get to Masako Nozawa and holy shit I can't believe I'm just now realizing that he named himself after that actress and so are you probably.

UnKillFill

Am I blue?
kiwifarms.net
I'm pretty indifferent to it myself. I get that he's trying to go for a more dopey voice for him, but it sounds too... How would you put it?
Like... I get and to a certain extent *respect* T4S not just doing a lazy Schemmel impression and calling it a day (even though Lanipator in particular gets a lot of mileage out of his decent Sabat impression.) But it feels like Masako just went "Ok, Goku's kind of a dumb guy. I'll use a generic dumb guy voice."
It literally sounds like the voice I'd use if I wanted to quote somebody but make them sound dumb. "Hur de hur guize it's me Goku, and I'm an idiot!"

That's because someone (I don't remember who) wanted TFS to be as close to the original Japanese broadcast as possible so they chose Masako for his high pitched voice because it was the closest they could get to Masako Nozawa and holy shit I can't believe I'm just now realizing that he named himself after that actress and so are you probably.
I do believe you that someone said that, but that just raises more questions about Lani and his previously mentioned decent Sabat impression. (Also, while I respect the fact that the Japanese generally seem to be loyal to specific voice actors, I never liked the fact that they had the same woman voicing Goku for 30+ years.. It might make sense to get a woman to voice a teenage boy, but she has no business voicing the same character in his 40's and it just takes me out of the whole thing to watch that. Maybe just let her voice a more appropriate character or something...) Anyway, if that's what they were going for, one wonders why they didn't just get a woman to voice Goku, because Masako sounds even less like the Japanese Goku to me than he does Schemmel.

Last edited:

jellycar

50% Patty Hearst/50% Natasha Romanoff
kiwifarms.net
Please. This was a really hard decision, that took us over a year of taking your money while promising we would deliver a product you wanted, for us to make. Don't we sound incredibly sad and upset while reading this script?

Wait. You think we're faking this? Fuck off. Who do you think we are? Voice actors?
Oh God don't tell me that motherfucker Sean Schemmel was right....

• Informative
Reactions: UnKillFill

jellycar

50% Patty Hearst/50% Natasha Romanoff
kiwifarms.net
I agree with your dismissal of Schemmel as a "motherfucker," But... what was he right about? (I don't offhand know myself) Cite your source please.
That TFS is trash. I mean it seems like people are pissed at them for bullshitting the series for some time now and just throwing in the towel

• Agree
Reactions: UnKillFill

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
A shame that DBZA is officially dead, but the writing was on the wall for a while. They clearly weren't enjoying making it as much as they used to and being in Toei's crosshairs all the time waiting for the one shot that permanently took down the channel must have been exhausting to deal with. Oh well, haven't watched any of their stuff in ages anyway since I got bored with their content

That TFS is trash. I mean it seems like people are pissed at them for bullshitting the series for some time now and just throwing in the towel
I think he was just mad that someone else dared to do a Goku role.

5t3n0g0ph3r

Resident Archivist
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
It was probably Kaiser, knowing him.

As much as I want to agree with you about the voice actor part, as long as Toei's breathing down both TFS and Funi's necks, Kaiser, Lani and Taka are never going to get constant credits under their belts unless they move to LA or Funi drops their contracts with Toei, neither of which are going to happen any time soon as all three (and their other actors) are based out of Texas by default and Funi exists because of Toei. And keep in mind, outside of Xenoverse (which afaik, Toei had little involvement with beyond cutscenes) and cameos in Resurrection F, One Piece Film Gold and that unaired version of DBZ Kai's reenactment scene, nearly all of their professional credits have been for non-Toei produced efforts like Ping Pong, Heavy Object and RWBY, often in just an additional voice/walla group capacity. Hells is probably one of the only dubs to have them in act in any major roles, and that's mainly because they produced it themselves.
For those unaware, this is Hells.

UnclePhil

Becoming my parents. Get off my lawn.
kiwifarms.net
Why is it only Lani and Kaiser in all the recent videos? In the goodbye video, the new Behind the Scenes retrospective that was uploaded today, the Kakarot LP, and the recent Talkcast Podshows? Where are Takahata and MasakoX? Did they have a Super Best Friends breakup?

• Agree
Reactions: Nauseated Courgi

A Random

All aboard the Loco Express!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Why is it only Lani and Kaiser in all the recent videos? In the goodbye video, the new Behind the Scenes retrospective that was uploaded today, the Kakarot LP, and the recent Talkcast Podshows? Where are Takahata and MasakoX? Did they have a Super Best Friends breakup?
Isn't Masako a full-on Brit? I don't think he ever lived with them. Takahata is Canadian and lives in Canada for a fact.

I know those two other guys [Kirran and Grant] sorta replaced these two in the public view as their fellow Let's Players and doing DBcember but I 'unno why their uninvolvement.

• Informative
Reactions: UnclePhil

Overcast

Perfection has no age
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Loved the show up till about after the Frieza saga. Even then, I liked stuff like Cell’s first form and the Cyber Sex scene.

My god though, it was kinda frustrating seeing these guys spend time doing all these side projects and LP’s that could have been spent making the thing everyone came to them for.

And I don’t know what it was, but the show just got incredibly unfunny towards the end. The forced Goku beats Chi-Chi joke, Perfect Cell being flamboyant to the point of annoyance and the Satan/Hulk Hogan bit got old fast.

Doesn’t surprise me to see the show’s dead now. Probably for the best.

• Agree
Reactions: Gravityqueen4life

Nauseated Courgi

It's an Ass-Fuck-Get-Fucked world out there
kiwifarms.net
And I don’t know what it was, but the show just got incredibly unfunny towards the end. The forced Goku beats Chi-Chi joke, Perfect Cell being flamboyant to the point of annoyance and the Satan/Hulk Hogan bit got old fast
The general assumption that the others in the forums have settled on is that that they made it less of a comedic parody of the anime and more of a fan-made remake of the show itself. At that point they started taking the whole thing way more seriously than they should have and here we are.

Last edited:
  • Agree

SteelPlatedHeart

Not-So-New Guy
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Taka lives in Canada and Masako in Europe. Kano and Kaiser both live in Dallas where they have a studio to make all their content.

• Informative

TerminalTryHard

Use your fucking blinker
kiwifarms.net
Isn't Masako a full-on Brit? I don't think he ever lived with them. Takahata is Canadian and lives in Canada for a fact.

I know those two other guys [Kirran and Grant] sorta replaced these two in the public view as their fellow Let's Players and doing DBcember but I 'unno why their uninvolvement.
Holy fuck that reminds me whatever happened to Kirran? He was in like every let's play for a while and then he was just gone.

• Thunk-Provoking