Mega Rad Gun Thread -

The Dude

Bro, don't even bro, bro.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm still waiting on my Octane 45 to get out of NFA jail since September. I was hoping I'd get lucky with a quick turnaround :(
That's the big thing that's kept me from buying any cans: the wait. I'm hoping to start an AR build soon and get a Freedom Ordnance FM-9 belt-fed 9mm upper and register the lower as an SBR. Apparently if you e-file a Form 4 to build a short barreled rifle, the turn around time is only about a month or so. But transferring something that's already "built", like a suppressor or transferable full-auto, is taking nine months or more to get your tax stamp. You can thank Obama for that.

msd

Dorothy enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
I'm gonna be given a winchester rifle when my grandpa passes.

It fires .357, it's a very nice lever action too.

We also have a ruger Blackhawk and a 45 colt revolver. Beautiful guns, even if the reload times take forever

Silas

Sensitivity Expert
kiwifarms.net
That's the big thing that's kept me from buying any cans: the wait. I'm hoping to start an AR build soon and get a Freedom Ordnance FM-9 belt-fed 9mm upper and register the lower as an SBR. Apparently if you e-file a Form 4 to build a short barreled rifle, the turn around time is only about a month or so. But transferring something that's already "built", like a suppressor or transferable full-auto, is taking nine months or more to get your tax stamp. You can thank Obama for that.
Nah, my last two stamps were ridiculously fast, five months and a week from check cashed to stamp in hand, it just seems to be luck of the draw who gets your form

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: Synthetic Smug

DrunkJoe

kiwifarms.net
Here is some of this years stockpiling. Yes I bought flame thrower. In my defense I was gonna buy another gun but all the ones i wanted were sold out. This year i have bought 5 guns and a flame thrower. Next week im buying my 6 th. The ar 15 is a fostech phantom with an echo trigger and the scope is a night vision smart scope. The flip ups are coming off i just put the scope on for the picture.

Attachments

The Dude

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Here is some of this years stockpiling. Yes I bought flame thrower. In my defense I was gonna buy another gun but all the ones i wanted were sold out. This year i have bought 5 guns and a flame thrower. Next week im buying my 6 th. The ar 15 is a fostech phantom with an echo trigger and the scope is a night vision smart scope. The flip ups are coming off i just put the scope on for the picture.
Nice! I really like Fostech. Love my Origin 12, and I'll definitely be putting an Echo Trigger in my Freedom Ordnance FM-9 build.

Particle Bored

I am made out of toothpicks and glue
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Can we see a pic of the flamethrower itself? What do those things use for fuel?

And the real 'money' question: what's the make/mod on the Fostech optic?

The Dude

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Got myself a $3000 loan today. Ordered a US Optics TS-8X scope with a .308 BDC reticle and a Kinetic Development Group 30mm side lock scope mount to go on my Mk14 Mod 0 rifle. The rest of the loan is being put aside to hopefully buy a Freedom Ordnance FM-9 upper when they do their next run. Sadly, I couldn't put a down payment or pre-payment to guarantee getting an upper, but I am on the waiting list, so hopefully I'll be able to get one. Once my scope and mount arrives I'll post pics of it on my rifle.

Dick Justice

Where have all the cowdogs gone?
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'll think I'll buy myself an AUG next month as a birthday present. I've just been letting my gun-buying money accumulate since all this corona panic shit started.
I fucking love my AUG A3. I'm not the biggest 5.56x45mm fan. I prefer .308/7.62x51mm for fighting rifles. But for close quarters and urban combat, the AUG is awesome. You get a package that's nearly as compact as an M4, but you get a 20" barrel and can take full advantage of 5.56x45mm since it's lethality is based in large part on it's muzzle velocity. I personally feel the AUG is the best 5.56x45mm rifle you can get, but that's just one Dude's humble opinion.

View attachment 1383022View attachment 1383024
Never shot one myself, but I always thought this was interesting.
AUG.jpg

The Dude

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The US Optics TS-8X scope I ordered arrived yesterday and I got it mounted to my Mk14. I'm really happy with how everything has come together. Can't wait to get it zeroed and start putting this rifle through it's paces. US Optics has always made excellent rifle glass, and this scope is no exception. And at only $800, it's a real bargain for this kind of low power variable optic/DMR scope. The Kinetic Development Group Sidelok mount is fucking legit. No levers or knobs, nothing to adjust. Just push the unlock plunger to the rear and rotate it off the rail. It stays unlocked until you rock it back onto the rail, where it automatically locks back into place. I'm going to be using these mounts from now on.

Edit: Looks like it won't let me post photos right now. I'll take some more at a lower resolution when I get home from work and try again.

Never shot one myself, but I always thought this was interesting.
That hasn't been my experience with the AUGs I've owned (an MSAR clone and a genuine Steyr AUG A3). The charging handle isn't that difficult to cycle. I use the inner side of my second knuckle of my left index finger to work the charging handle on my AUG. Doing it that way, I've never had the optic rail do a cheese grater on my hand or fingers. And the 12:00 rail on mine is pretty long since I've got the CQC rail system on mine. And I'd hate to see the cheap ass optics that poster puts on his rifle if simply bumping it with his knuckles while racking the charging handle screws up the optic or knocks it out of zero. And I've never had to do anything aside from inserting the magazines smartly to get them to seat. Never had to wiggle or rock them, and I've never had them drop out of the magwell.

The Dude

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Here are the photos of my Mk14 with my new US Optics TS-8X scope mounted. I think I'll be mounting a bipod eventually.

20200705_030939.jpg20200705_031001.jpg

Reactions: Marvin

The Dude

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Word of advice: Tape the cheek riser if you plan on extended shooting times. Otherwise it's a gamble whether it slices up your cheek or not.
Thanks for the heads-up, but I've had M14-style rifles in SAGE chassis before. Years ago I had a Springfield M1A Loaded with a stainless barrel in a SAGE chassis and a 10x US Optics scope, very similar to the setup I have now, that I put quite a few rounds through. The cheek piece on the SAGE chassis has always been very comfortable for me, and this one has very smooth edges and molding. I sold the Springfield because I had a lot of FTF and FTE issues that Springfield never could fix. That's why I went with an LRB barreled action for this build since they are built exactly to USGI spec and I haven’t had a single issue with it yet.

Thornforg

Thanks for the company.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Thanks for the heads-up, but I've had M14-style rifles in SAGE chassis before. Years ago I had a Springfield M1A Loaded with a stainless barrel in a SAGE chassis and a 10x US Optics scope, very similar to the setup I have now, that I put quite a few rounds through. The cheek piece on the SAGE chassis has always been very comfortable for me, and this one has very smooth edges and molding. I sold the Springfield because I had a lot of FTF and FTE issues that Springfield never could fix. That's why I went with an LRB barreled action for this build since they are built exactly to USGI spec and I haven’t had a single issue with it yet.
Good on you, then. The Mk14 I worked with sliced open my cheek the first time I had to work with it. But it was already well circulated by the time I got to it so the riser might've been a replacement. My own setup has a smooth riser, but I taped it anyways because I don't need that happening a second time.

It's interesting you had issues with your Springfield. Granted, mine was a Nat. Match, but I never experienced a FTF/FTE unless I was using some nasty, frankenstein reloaded ammo.

Last edited:

Marco Fucko

I fantasized about this back in Chicago
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
All this talk of Mk14 setups makes me want to do an "urban DMR" concept with like an RFB or MDR or something. I know they're less accurate but really the old WW2 standard of ~2 MOA should be good enough for shorter range.

Speaking of bullpups, I'm definitely thinking of picking up a KS-7 once I get back into a studio.

• Feels
Reactions: millais

The Dude

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
All this talk of Mk14 setups makes me want to do an "urban DMR" concept with like an RFB or MDR or something. I know they're less accurate but really the old WW2 standard of ~2 MOA should be good enough for shorter range.

Speaking of bullpups, I'm definitely thinking of picking up a KS-7 once I get back into a studio.
I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to firearms, so I personally avoid KelTec like the plague. I've heard issues with the MDR as well, like the polymer inside the stock cracking. They are pretty accurate though, since they're built by a company who make sniper/marksman style rifles. If you want a .308 bullpup, take a look at the Tavor 7. IWI really knows their shit. If you're OK with going with a more traditional style rifle, I can't recommend the LMT MWS308 more highly. It's an excellent rifle in service with the Brits, Ausies, and Kiwis in the DMR role. It has a quick change barrel feature, and LMT offers several different lengths and calibers in chro-moly and stainless steels. I absolutely love mine. It's my "go-to" rifle if things ever get "bad" and I've got two uppers for it: the railed upper that came with the rifle with an Elcan Spectre TR scope (plan on putting a 20" stainless barrel on it) and a lighter upper with M-Lok slots that I'm building up with a 16" barrel and either a red dot or ACOG optic. That way I can just swap uppers for which ever role I need the rifle to be configured for.

Edit: decided to quickly mount my new US Optics scope on my MWS308 just to kinda show how it'd be set up for the DMR role. An 18" or 20" barrel would be better suited for a DMR setup, but I've only got the 16" barrel right now.

20200706_041234.jpg20200706_041309.jpg

Last edited:

Marco Fucko

I fantasized about this back in Chicago
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to firearms, so I personally avoid KelTec like the plague. I've heard issues with the MDR as well, like the polymer inside the stock cracking. They are pretty accurate though, since they're built by a company who make sniper/marksman style rifles. If you want a .308 bullpup, take a look at the Tavor 7. IWI really knows their shit. If you're OK with going with a more traditional style rifle, I can't recommend the LMT MWS308 more highly. It's an excellent rifle in service with the Brits, Ausies, and Kiwis in the DMR role. It has a quick change barrel feature, and LMT offers several different lengths and calibers in chro-moly and stainless steels. I absolutely love mine. It's my "go-to" rifle if things ever get "bad" and I've got two uppers for it: the railed upper that came with the rifle with an Elcan Spectre TR scope (plan on putting a 20" stainless barrel on it) and a lighter upper with M-Lok slots that I'm building up with a 16" barrel and either a red dot or ACOG optic. That way I can just swap uppers for which ever role I need the rifle to be configured for.

Edit: decided to quickly mount my new US Optics scope on my MWS308 just to kinda show how it'd be set up for the DMR role. An 18" or 20" barrel would be better suited for a DMR setup, but I've only got the 16" barrel right now.

View attachment 1430763View attachment 1430764
Awesome rifle! With regards to more expensive options though, I'll probably stick to cheaper options. I'm an urbanite so I don't really have an excuse for a marksman rifle anyway. I might just stick with 5.56 and just "accurize" a carbine a la a RECCE.

• Feels
Reactions: Marvin and millais

The Dude

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Awesome rifle! With regards to more expensive options though, I'll probably stick to cheaper options. I'm an urbanite so I don't really have an excuse for a marksman rifle anyway. I might just stick with 5.56 and just "accurize" a carbine a la a RECCE.
Yeah, I'd probably go the AR route. You could build a pretty decent AR that would shoot rings around those other two, plus have the benefit of parts availability. You could start with either a stripped or complete lower and work your way from there. If you want a bit more muzzle energy than 5.56x45mm/.223, you could go with 6.5mm Grendel or 6.8mm SPC. Either would be excellent for an urban DMR. Bravo Company and Rainier Arms would be excellent places to start looking for parts.

Tags
None