Open Source Software Community - it's about ethics in Code of Conducts

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

skeng

eggy bredda
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This is some funny shit. Just went to Physics Stack Exchange to find out some objective factual science shit and right there in the sidebar is an apology to the LGBtranny community and a thing about gender pronouns. Like fuck?

View attachment 967847

What's next - you gotta learn about girldick before you can use Matlab?
implying half the indians still using stackoverflow know what a pronoun is

Safir

The woman from Snowy River
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Did you miss the part about the lawsuit? Antisemitism is not good PR.
Dude, I made the first post, way back in October. The lolsuit is no more. The final post contains no apology to the Jewish community or to Monica and in fact worded it as if they were forgiving her for her misstep (and are being repeatedly called on it by Monica's friends). The pre-lolsuit post was better (but still put troons above Jews). But they keep apologizing to troons. Sara Chipps still has a job. David Fullerton hasn't takes a single step down. No one has suffered any damage except Monica, not one person has been branded an antisemite. The news cycle moved on long ago. The damage has been done to StackOverflow, speeding up the rot, but that's par for the course when troons are involved and doesn't figure into their victory/loss metrics at all; like with media fandoms, they'll just move on.

ditto

kiwifarms.net
It's overflowing with shitty pajeet code now anyway. What value it had as a tech resource has been whittling away for years.
I looks forward to Stack Exchange going the way of the old Java forums.
implying half the indians still using stackoverflow know what a pronoun is
They'll just assume that it's like their uncle who also is trains man (he is driver)

awoo

Awoo Supremacist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Dude, I made the first post, way back in October. The lolsuit is no more. The final post contains no apology to the Jewish community or to Monica and in fact worded it as if they were forgiving her for her misstep (and are being repeatedly called on it by Monica's friends). The pre-lolsuit post was better (but still put troons above Jews). But they keep apologizing to troons. Sara Chipps still has a job. David Fullerton hasn't takes a single step down. No one has suffered any damage except Monica, not one person has been branded an antisemite. The news cycle moved on long ago. The damage has been done to StackOverflow, speeding up the rot, but that's par for the course when troons are involved and doesn't figure into their victory/loss metrics at all; like with media fandoms, they'll just move on.
This is the original post

as far as we know, the lawsuit is still ongoing. No further comments from Monica for legal reasons.

clownworld

kiwifarms.net
Small followup from the VSCode Santa hat.

After removing the Santa hat they (unirnically) switched it to a snowflake ❄

Also, note the interesting wording in their CoC:

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 12.16.12 PM.png

Also in tangentially related news, Netlify hired npm's former co-founder.

Screen Shot 2020-01-10 at 12.16.25 PM.png

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
Every time I see a Win10 (or hell, even some Linux distros are guilty of this) machine updating so slow that wiping the drive and reinstalling it would be faster (literally!) or see some Mobile OS being gigabytes in size for the most basic functionality you can't even remove most of without the whole house of card tumbling down, or see text editors with more code than whole operating systems with a whole suit of applications installed on top from 20 years ago, while offering absolutely no worthwhile bonus functionality on top of what these old systems offered in return, I remember I have faggots like that to blame for turning IT into what it is.

I like to tinker with systems I used to have and one of my favorite systems (which CPU is running at 7 Mhz) has a full blown OS installation of six megabytes. (including all drivers for the hardware and some externals, including printer drivers, a speech synthesizer, an universal viewer for all kinds of datatypes, micro emacs, a batch language and a whole scripting language) If I install my favorite, scriptable text editor on top that, it weights in at about 400 kb more.

I use a similar, very barebones editor on my PC that was even designed after that older editor. The difference? The amount of code needed to run it is magnitudes bigger than that entire old OS plus old editor. That new barebones editor doesn't even do anything better or faster than the old one (in fact, it leaves some functionality the old one had out, like a script system) it's just a lot bigger for literally no reason except cruft and that nobody really cares that it is like that, or even understands (or tries to understand) the abstraction layers involved that make it so.

This also, will never change. I miss the days when software engineers were of an actual engineer mindset.

But yes, lets talk about LGBTQ in software engineering instead. It really is a pressing matter!

garakfan69

Please be patient, I have idiocy
kiwifarms.net
I like to tinker with systems I used to have and one of my favorite systems (which CPU is running at 7 Mhz) has a full blown OS installation of six megabytes. (including all drivers for the hardware and some externals, including printer drivers, a speech synthesizer, an universal viewer for all kinds of datatypes, micro emacs, a batch language and a whole scripting language) If I install my favorite, scriptable text editor on top that, it weights in at about 400 kb more.
An A500?

Reactions: 3119967d0c

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
Yeah. In ancient days when being gay in companies just got you fired I used to have an A2000, which later ended up running a BBS for a while before being retired and was quite beefy hardware-wise. I had the same model at work that ran an ancient version of Unix nobody will remember on a 68030 at a whopping 25 Mhz I think it was, with 4 MB of RAM. (at first, memory is flooding slowly back) Yes, not everything was better and some things really fucking sucked and I understand some abstraction is necessary, but man there's no engineering in software engineering anymore and every time I see some fag like up there I'm being very much reminded of that.

AlexJonesGotMePregnant

he put a baby in my butt
kiwifarms.net
Every time I see a Win10 (or hell, even some Linux distros are guilty of this) machine updating so slow that wiping the drive and reinstalling it would be faster (literally!) or see some Mobile OS being gigabytes in size for the most basic functionality you can't even remove most of without the whole house of card tumbling down, or see text editors with more code than whole operating systems with a whole suit of applications installed on top from 20 years ago, while offering absolutely no worthwhile bonus functionality on top of what these old systems offered in return, I remember I have faggots like that to blame for turning IT into what it is.

I use a similar, very barebones editor on my PC that was even designed after that older editor. The difference? The amount of code needed to run it is magnitudes bigger than that entire old OS plus old editor. That new barebones editor doesn't even do anything better or faster than the old one (in fact, it leaves some functionality the old one had out, like a script system) it's just a lot bigger for literally no reason except cruft and that nobody really cares that it is like that, or even understands (or tries to understand) the abstraction layers involved that make it so.

This also, will never change. I miss the days when software engineers were of an actual engineer mindset.

But yes, lets talk about LGBTQ in software engineering instead. It really is a pressing matter!
I'm sorry but it doesn't like like you're talking about javascript so you must be an OLD PERSON who doesn't understand MODARN ENGNERINGERNG, you should be fired and replaced by an undocumented migrant

unrelated, all of my programs are broken and my computer keeps erroring but I don't know what STACKTRACE or KERNEL means, did someone put a popcorn inside my computer? plz halp

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
unrelated, all of my programs are broken and my computer keeps erroring but I don't know what STACKTRACE or KERNEL means, did someone put a popcorn inside my computer? plz halp
My absolute nu-Tech moment lately was seeing a 4k Monitor that had some firmware OS or other that'd lock up sometimes and cause the monitor not coming back from powesaving mode, or the OSD just freezing. As the power button is a soft button controlled by the very same OS pressing it of course did nothing. The only solution when that happened was to pull the power cord. This was a Dell monitor, so not some cheap chinese knock-off brand nobody ever heard about. You'd think Dell could afford development and Q&A to have that not happen, yet here we are. The Boeing 737 MAX drama we probably don't even know half of. The funny thing is that I'd wager that that LCD OS probably is fatter and needs more processing cycles than aforementioned AmigaOS, while functioning worse.

Apropos ancient computers just doing their job: I saw an Amiga 1200 in a (rather big) german bar, in a major german city, some 3 years ago. It displayed beer prices and did cashier system stuff. No kidding. No the owner wasn't a retro hardware affectionado and this wasn't some weird hipster bar. It was still there because it just did it's job and all you had to do was turn it on.

EDIT: fixed lots of typos, wow

Last edited:

AlexJonesGotMePregnant

he put a baby in my butt
kiwifarms.net
My absolute nu-Tech moment lately was seeing a 4k Monitor that had some firmware OS or other that'd lock up sometimes and cause the money not coming back from powesaving mode, or the OSD just freezing. As the power button is a soft button controlled by the very same OS pressing it of course did nothing. The only solution when that happened was to pull the power cord. This was a Dell monitor, so not some cheap chinese knock-off brand nobody ever heard about. You'd think Dell could afford development and Q&A to have that not happen, yet here we are. The Boeing 737 MAX drama we probably don't even know half of. The funny thing is that I'd wager that that LCD OS probably is fatter and needs more processing cycles than aforementioned AmigaOS, while functioning worse.

Apropos ancient computers just doing their job: I saw an Amiga 1200 in a (rather big) german bar, in a major german city, some 3 years ago. It displayed beer prices and did cashier system stuff. No kidding. No the owner wasn't a retro retro hardware affectionado and this wasn't some weird hipster bar. It was still there because it just did it's job and all you had to do was turn it on.
"Modern" software engineering doesn't seem to like making things that actually work so I don't think we'll see anything like that Amiga 1200 again.

AirdropShitposts

F for Violet Cassandra Ocean (2019-2020)
kiwifarms.net
Local restaurants/bars are one of the most likely places I'll see legacy hardware. I mean, since I don't work in the military industrial complex. I like most when there's a horrific kludge of plugged in devices in order to process credit cards or whatever.

The Windows 10 update discussion reminds me of a ResetEra thread from a couple weeks ago where a guy was bitching because automatic updates for Windows 10 were turned off at his new big fancy job (cuz duh) and he was trying to figure out how to turn them on. And all kinds of IT people who often never post otherwise were screaming at him NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and he was like "IT'S A SECURITY RISK TO NOT UPDATE, PLUS PROGRAMS MIGHT NOT WORK CORRECTLY, I CAN'T EVEN ACCESS [THE STORE/SOME APP/I DUNNO]" while all these other tards sent him random Google or Reddit links about how to accomplish it. I never did follow up, I assume the department murdered him.

Sir Wesley Tailpipe

kiwifarms.net
Local restaurants/bars are one of the most likely places I'll see legacy hardware. I mean, since I don't work in the military industrial complex. I like most when there's a horrific kludge of plugged in devices in order to process credit cards or whatever.

The Windows 10 update discussion reminds me of a ResetEra thread from a couple weeks ago where a guy was bitching because automatic updates for Windows 10 were turned off at his new big fancy job (cuz duh) and he was trying to figure out how to turn them on. And all kinds of IT people who often never post otherwise were screaming at him NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO and he was like "IT'S A SECURITY RISK TO NOT UPDATE, PLUS PROGRAMS MIGHT NOT WORK CORRECTLY, I CAN'T EVEN ACCESS [THE STORE/SOME APP/I DUNNO]" while all these other tards sent him random Google or Reddit links about how to accomplish it. I never did follow up, I assume the department murdered him.
[powerlevel] I was on the support team at one of the major oil companies, and doing something like that is a violation of not just IT policy, but corporate security policy, since you are tampering with equipment in a way that could cause safety issues, depending on what department the computer is in, and safety policy is zero-tolerance to the point that an executive at head office was fired for not holding the bannister going up the main entrance’s grand staircase. The clown thinking he should override update policy would be out the door and possibly facing criminal charges.

Ivan Shatov

Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
kiwifarms.net
So I'm not expecting any more client work projects for the rest of the year, so I've been tinkering with an idea for a new personal project. It'd be pretty web page centric so I was thinking it'd be a good fit for Drupal, a PHP CMS which I used to use almost exclusively for both personal and client work. I've been tinkering with it and it's changed a lot, but I've been slowly chipping away at learning what's new.

I found myself in one of the issue queues for one of the contributed modules (third-party add-ons) when I noticed something unfortunate.

View attachment 1066855

Pronouns in the bios… Granted, only a small minority of user accounts seem to actually be using this feature, but for a project which has already had problems with perception and focusing on actually important things, it's a fairly visible step in the wrong direction.

I went to edit my profile because I was curious what options they provided. (As I type this, I'm starting to vaguely recall that even back in my day they added a field like this on profiles which had options for "male/female/other" or something like that, but that info just appeared on a user's profile page, not on all of their posts.) They deftly sidestep the issue by making it a text field rather than a list. But right below that field was another forehead-slap-inducing surprise.

View attachment 1066862

IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT WE COLLECT DATA ON HOW MUCH OF A VICTIM YOU ARE DESPITE HAVING NO FUCKING RELEVANCE TO OUR SOFTWARE. CLICK THAT LINK TO LEARN ABOUT WHY WE COLLECT THIS DATA. IT WILL TAKE YOU TO A PAGE THAT DOES NOT ACTUALLY EXPLAIN WHY WE COLLECT THIS DATA.

All right, LC. Just ignore it and use the software. Just use the software.
Stay away from Drupal. Even if you use it as part of your job, don't contribute. It's a MLM scam.

Drupal's community is the worst, there's a small set of companies that really benefit from the contributions. Everyone else is really just feeding into their business model. The social justice stuff serves another purpose, it's used to control positions of authority in the community. Every contrib just helps them capitalize and every accusation helps them control what happens to the platform.

To put it in perspective, Acquia was just acquired at a valuation of $1 Bil. None of that money made it to long time contributors. Acquia employees who are also core contributors got significant bonuses. Most of them have also been heavily involved in social justice.

Not that a company should be paying people who don't work for them, but Acquia is the biggest player in the community and has benefited profoundly from free labor. Here's a run down of the capital investments that brought them to this point.

Each round of capital brings demands that don't always line up with priorities established by the community. Which is why these elaborate purges happen every few years.

The Code of Conduct started being enforced in 2010, right around the time Dries started talking about the enterprise. They started kicking people off the Board at that point, starting with Morten. There's been a continuous process of reshaping ever since, anyone who doesn't agree with Acquia's point of view eventually gets called a racist / sexist / white supremacist / alt-right nazi / etc.

Example: Jess received about $220k a month after the deal went through, along with 'options,' which are not stock but an asset that's tied to the value of the company. Catch, core developer for over 10 years who doesn't work for Acquia, got nothing. Jess chased out chx, Larry Garfield, and many others from the community, eventually replacing chx.

Example: Angie Byron has been speaking at pre-IPO events. She doesn't work for Acquia, but she did, and still has some of those same options. She runs the Women in Drupal group, who regularly compare men with Harvey Weinstein. If there is an IPO, she stands to make somewhere in the low-to-mid seven figures.

Acquia has been pursuing an IPO since 2012. The main reason it hasn't worked out is the fact they don't control their own code. Acquia acquired a number of other companies to shore up the IP situation but nothing has actually caught on / generated a lot of revenue. The community will remain a prison camp until the SJWs cash out, even then there's no guarantees. You're better off marketing your own modules as something other than GPL and selling them (even better if you do it for Wordpress, which has a healthier ecosystem for small business.)

In the meantime, don't contribute. It's not going to make you popular, it's not going to get you a better job, it's not going to make you smarter, it's just going to take up a lot of your time. On the off-chance you are a POC or lesbian who happens to get noticed, part of your job will be denouncing males over bullshit pretenses. The platform will ultimately remain a giant glob of spaghetti code with more and more restrictions around who can contribute and how they can contribute.

???

International man (?) of mystery
kiwifarms.net
Stay away from Drupal. Even if you use it as part of your job, don't contribute. It's a MLM scam.

Drupal's community is the worst, there's a small set of companies that really benefit from the contributions. Everyone else is really just feeding into their business model. The social justice stuff serves another purpose, it's used to control positions of authority in the community. Every contrib just helps them capitalize and every accusation helps them control what happens to the platform.

To put it in perspective, Acquia was just acquired at a valuation of $1 Bil. None of that money made it to long time contributors. Acquia employees who are also core contributors got significant bonuses. Most of them have also been heavily involved in social justice.

Not that a company should be paying people who don't work for them, but Acquia is the biggest player in the community and has benefited profoundly from free labor. Here's a run down of the capital investments that brought them to this point.

Each round of capital brings demands that don't always line up with priorities established by the community. Which is why these elaborate purges happen every few years.

The Code of Conduct started being enforced in 2010, right around the time Dries started talking about the enterprise. They started kicking people off the Board at that point, starting with Morten. There's been a continuous process of reshaping ever since, anyone who doesn't agree with Acquia's point of view eventually gets called a racist / sexist / white supremacist / alt-right nazi / etc.

Example: Jess received about $220k a month after the deal went through, along with 'options,' which are not stock but an asset that's tied to the value of the company. Catch, core developer for over 10 years who doesn't work for Acquia, got nothing. Jess chased out chx, Larry Garfield, and many others from the community, eventually replacing chx.

Example: Angie Byron has been speaking at pre-IPO events. She doesn't work for Acquia, but she did, and still has some of those same options. She runs the Women in Drupal group, who regularly compare men with Harvey Weinstein. If there is an IPO, she stands to make somewhere in the low-to-mid seven figures.

Acquia has been pursuing an IPO since 2012. The main reason it hasn't worked out is the fact they don't control their own code. Acquia acquired a number of other companies to shore up the IP situation but nothing has actually caught on / generated a lot of revenue. The community will remain a prison camp until the SJWs cash out, even then there's no guarantees. You're better off marketing your own modules as something other than GPL and selling them (even better if you do it for Wordpress, which has a healthier ecosystem for small business.)

In the meantime, don't contribute. It's not going to make you popular, it's not going to get you a better job, it's not going to make you smarter, it's just going to take up a lot of your time. On the off-chance you are a POC or lesbian who happens to get noticed, part of your job will be denouncing males over bullshit pretenses. The platform will ultimately remain a giant glob of spaghetti code with more and more restrictions around who can contribute and how they can contribute.
Along with that, if someone can gain an advantage from denouncing you and destroying your career, they will. There are no upsides and many, many downsides to contributing to that community.

Least Concern

Pretend I have a waifu avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net

Bruh. I first started tinkering with Drupal some time around 4.7. I remember people freaking out about the big 5.0 transition. Not to flop my dick on the table, but I've been in the community for long enough to be fully aware of what happened.

All that said, I can't hate Acquia for chasing the money. This is why companies exist. I've met Byron, and stupid politics aside, she's a tremendous talent and her leadership made D7 the amazing product it still is to this day. She deserves whatever profit she can take. (I am trying to use D8 for this project, though, for no other reason than I suppose it's about time to be dragged kicking and screaming into the Symfony/Composer monolith, and it's been educational in that regard.) But of course people who are not Acquia employees or shareholders aren't going to get a cut of their windfall, even if they are core developers. It's not Drupal itself which is being bought out here; it's the consulting services and such that Acquia provides. As much as I would like to get the five- or six-digit check I might be due if we were to split up that $1 billion by time given to the project or whatever, I ain't even mad about it.

Did Acquia itself play a role in the SJWifying of the community? I imagine they could have thrown around their weight a little to slow it down, but this is a problem endemic to the entire industry. Correlation does not imply causation.

You're better off marketing your own modules as something other than GPL and selling them (even better if you do it for Wordpress, which has a healthier ecosystem for small business.)
I would argue that one of the greatest selling points to this day of Drupal over WordPress is that Drupal doesn't have the expectation that every other module is going to require payment or be a timed demo or require some copyright message in the footer unless you pay a licensing fee or all the other obnoxious crap that WordPress plugins and themes do. For whatever reason, that sort of thing just never took hold in the ecosystem, and almost all of the modules really are both gratis and libre.

Last edited:

Ivan Shatov

Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
kiwifarms.net
Bruh. I first started tinkering with Drupal some time around 4.7. I remember people freaking out about the big 5.0 transition. Not to flop my dick on the table, but I've been in the community for long enough to be fully aware of what happened.

All that said, I can't hate Acquia for chasing the money. This is why companies exist. I've met Byron, and stupid politics aside, she's a tremendous talent and her leadership made D7 the amazing product it still is to this day. She deserves whatever profit she can take. (I am trying to use D8 for this project, though, for no other reason than I suppose it's about time to be dragged kicking and screaming into the Symfony/Composer monolith, and it's been educational in that regard.) But of course people who are not Acquia employees or shareholders are going to get a cut of their buyout, even if they are core developers. It's not Drupal itself which is being bought out here; it's the consulting services and such that Acquia provides. As much as I would like to get the five- or six-digit check I might be due if we were to split up that $1 billion by time given to the project or whatever, I ain't even mad about it.

Did Acquia itself play a role in the SJWifying of the community? I imagine they could have thrown around their weight a little to slow it down, but this is a problem endemic to the entire industry. Correlation does not imply causation.

I would argue that one of the greatest selling points to this day of Drupal over WordPress is that Drupal doesn't have the expectation that every other module is going to require payment or be a timed demo or require some copyright message in the footer unless you pay a licensing fee or all the other obnoxious crap that WordPress plugins and themes do. For whatever reason, that sort of thing just never took hold in the ecosystem, and almost all of the modules really are both gratis and libre.
Well, those are all interesting thoughts.

At the end of the day, Drupal Developers are just making Dries Buytaert richer while hangers-on do SJW stuff. If that's something you are okay with, fine.

But don't pretend there's anything special about it. Some of us are working hard to get Drupal out of federal government. TCO compared to Wordpress is close to 4000% higher, that line about having to pay for modules is meaningless after you have to pay for the first round of Drupal updates. We just shot down a project using it for web services after receiving independent benchmark comparisons with java, might not pay the vendor because the ones they submitted were fabricated / non-representational.

My impression is Drupal's the platform for people who can't see past their nose. It tries to be all things to all people, no one in the community really has enough experience with other systems to know what it does well and where it could improve. But they sure try to sound like it.

Safir

The woman from Snowy River
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Two more mods were disappeared unpersoned consciously uncoupled from StackOverflow / Stackexchange, and two more resigned:

The people find out:
Less than a month ago, there was some settling of the incident with firing Monica. It's obvious that there was not a lot of approval from the community on the chosen by SE course of action, and on the settlement as well.
Today, we are seeing a new wave of SE actions targeted on work with the community: firing/letting go/agreeing to separate (the actual term is unknown and can remain an unknown forever) two very knowledgable and very trusted community managers: Shog9 and Robert Cartaino:
The following moderators resigned shortly after this event:
  1. resigned: nhinkle on Super User
  2. resigned: El'endia Starman on Christianity
I wonder:
  • if there is any plan on the SE's side to actually be involved in the building of the community?
  • who is now responsible for community building and interaction of community/moderators with developers and upper management?
  • if the remaining CM team will be re-staffed since it is already heavily understaffed in my opinion?
  • is there an intent from the company to at least thank the CMs that served StackExchange many-many years? Even if it is a dry lawyered-written "thank you".
I am devastated. Both as SE user and SE moderator.
The management responds:
You all should know that this is very hard for us. This is what I am able to share:
As you have seen, today there were some changes on the Community Team. Out of respect for their privacy, we aren’t able to comment on any specific current or former employees.
We’re seeking to align the company so that it can continue growing in 2020 and we continue to be committed in investing in the community and ensuring that it has a seat at the table as we keep moving forward. These changes are a part of that process.
Juan M♦
Shog9 (one of the unpersoned) is the guy who posted the yearly moderation statistics for 2019. Nothing interesting or controversial in the post itself (just a handful of numbers, no monthly breakdown to see the Monica effect), but him making it is a good indication of what his place in the hierarchy was.

Last edited:

CIA Nigger

"IT'S NOT A FETISH MOM"
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Mozilla shitcanned a bunch of employees today.

Mozilla CEO says layoffs needed amid shift from browser
Browser maker Mozilla is laying off employees, the company’s chief said in a blog post Wednesday.

Mitchell Baker, chairwoman of the nonprofit foundation that owns Mozilla Corp., where she is interim CEO, wrote that the operation needed to operate within its means.

The Mountain View company makes the Firefox web browser as well as other digital applications. It also has a large San Francisco presence and other offices around the world.

A Mozilla spokeswoman declined to say how many employees would be affected, where their jobs were based, or what they did for the company. Brendan Eich, a former top Mozilla executive who briefly served as CEO in 2014, tweeted Wednesday that the company had laid off 70 employees. Eich now runs Brave, the maker of a rival web browser.

Baker wrote that the company needs to “excel at our current work, while we innovate in the areas most likely to impact the state of the internet and internet life.”

She wrote that the company has a role to play in areas like security and privacy, surveillance and artificial intelligence, and other areas key to the future of the internet. Mozilla has struggled to extend its browser products to mobile phones, where Google and Apple favor their own built-in browsers.

“Creating the new products we need to change the future requires us to do things differently, including allocating resources for this purpose,” Baker wrote. “We’re making a significant investment to fund innovation. In order to do that responsibly, we’ve also had to make some difficult choices which led to the elimination of roles at Mozilla which we announced internally today.”

In its 2018 annual report, Mozilla said its corporate arm had $435.7 million in revenue, down from $542 million in 2017. Mozilla makes money from royalties, subscriptions and advertising; its annual report said it makes the majority of its revenue from search partnerships, including one with Google, which makes the competing Chrome browser.
Brendan Eich claims that 70 employees had been fired from Mozilla, while mentioning that Mozilla's CEO makes more money even as their browser loses market share.
1579132252757.png

Apropos ancient computers just doing their job: I saw an Amiga 1200 in a (rather big) german bar, in a major german city, some 3 years ago. It displayed beer prices and did cashier system stuff. No kidding. No the owner wasn't a retro hardware affectionado and this wasn't some weird hipster bar. It was still there because it just did it's job and all you had to do was turn it on.
I've seen this firsthand in the real world as well. Techies love to whine about those disgusting normies not installing Windows 10, yet I've seen cash registers and the like running on DOS powered POS terminals or even vintage macs because they just worked. They might end up buying new card terminals that are independent from the main register to process chip cards or LCDs to replace failing CRTs, but other than that they still continue to work.

As long as they're not connected to the internet there's no real issue. Techies don't realize that the average user wants their computer to work.

Tags
None