Open Source Software Community - it's about ethics in Code of Conducts

• Order for the new server will be going in ASAP. Performance will be rocky until then (rip).

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
They're not wrong. Rust has a reputation over on /g/ and the like for having one of the shittiest communities of any new programming language. I've seen quite a few jokes about how the Rust compiler will refuse to compile your code if it violates their strict code of conduct. There's also the fact that Steve Klabnik (the book author) is super woke to the point where he thinks there needs to be a violent tech antifa, and was involved when Moldbug got banned from a tech conference.

Even if Rust is the most revolutionary new programming language ever created, the community and userbase overshadows it hard.
The problem with even bothering to learn something like that is the social cancer will almost inevitably cause development to end in some cancerous social implosion or, even worse, mire it in some never ending legal turmoil.

CIA Nigger

"IT'S NOT A FETISH MOM"
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The problem with even bothering to learn something like that is the social cancer will almost inevitably cause development to end in some cancerous social implosion or, even worse, mire it in some never ending legal turmoil.
The best programmers are going to stick to mainstream languages that'll get them a nice tech job, or that they enjoy using and stick to. PYPL has Rust beating out a few niche and dying languages, and it's not even in the tiobe top list. Aside from the fact Rust has the shittiest community, it's also being backed by Mozilla of all people instead of a big name like Google or Microsoft.

Reactions: Yotsubaaa

ZMOT

kiwifarms.net
They're not wrong. Rust has a reputation over on /g/ and the like for having one of the shittiest communities of any new programming language. I've seen quite a few jokes about how the Rust compiler will refuse to compile your code if it violates their strict code of conduct. There's also the fact that Steve Klabnik (the book author) is super woke to the point where he thinks there needs to be a violent tech antifa, and was involved when Moldbug got banned from a tech conference.

Even if Rust is the most revolutionary new programming language ever created, the community and userbase overshadows it hard.
kinda related I guess...

Least Concern

Pretend I have a waifu avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
Just in case you don't visit the front page enough to see it currently featured in the "Featured Content" block, the Gnome project has updated its CoC from this (a) to this (a).

The new CoC doesn't seem all that objectionable until you get to this bit:

The GNOME community prioritizes marginalized people's safety over privileged people's comfort. The committee will not act on complaints regarding:
  • "Reverse"-isms, including "reverse racism," "reverse sexism," and "cisphobia"
  • Reasonable communication of boundaries, such as "leave me alone," "go away," or "I'm not discussing this with you."
  • Criticizing racist, sexist, cissexist, or otherwise oppressive behavior or assumptions
  • Communicating boundaries or criticizing oppressive behavior in a "tone" you don't find congenial
This bit seems to contradict other parts of the CoC which prohibit racism or sexism regardless of privilege or "reverse" state.

Here's the KF thread on the change.

Nigger Rick

kiwifarms.net
I don't think this project has been linked yet

core-js is a javascript polyfill library. In other words, it lets your app use newer javascript features on older browsers. Its high usage comes primarily from babel. The main developer is a high level autist who often has tantrums about not getting enough money, not having a job, and not being able to get a job

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 10.34.46 PM.png

About a year ago, he added a little message in the postinstall script of his library that extorts its users for donations and a job. It literally does look like in the issue, since npm is also shit software and will often re-install a library that's used by several packages.

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 10.38.31 PM.png

The guy has admitted to keeping it there due to "butthurt"

Screen Shot 2020-01-27 at 10.47.28 PM.png

This could all be a big troll and a mix of trying to get as many donations as he can while he can.

Least Concern

Pretend I have a waifu avatar like everyone else
kiwifarms.net
Are you using some tool which customizes GitHub's styling, or did GitHub finally add an official dark mode that I can't figure out how to enable?

Anyway, I don't think asking for gigs or donations in your FOSS project is that big of a crime. The chance to parlay an OSS project into a paying gig is a big part of the reason we work on OSS projects in the first place. Since this is a developer tool anyway, why not fork it and comment out that part of the code if it bugs you that much? I think the developer actually reacted to a stupid issue like this better than I would have - though one has to wonder what he means when talking about going to prison.

• Agree
Reactions: Marvin

greengrilledcheese

Free, White, and 21
kiwifarms.net
Are you using some tool which customizes GitHub's styling, or did GitHub finally add an official dark mode that I can't figure out how to enable?
Not sure what he's using, but I've always used this one with good results:

Reactions: lemmiwinks

Isam

ἀνάπαυσις
kiwifarms.net
I don't think this project has been linked yet

core-js is a javascript polyfill library. In other words, it lets your app use newer javascript features on older browsers. Its high usage comes primarily from babel. The main developer is a high level autist who often has tantrums about not getting enough money, not having a job, and not being able to get a job

View attachment 1118883

About a year ago, he added a little message in the postinstall script of his library that extorts its users for donations and a job. It literally does look like in the issue, since npm is also shit software and will often re-install a library that's used by several packages.

View attachment 1118887

The guy has admitted to keeping it there due to "butthurt"

View attachment 1118902

This could all be a big troll and a mix of trying to get as many donations as he can while he can.

Anyway, I don't think asking for gigs or donations in your FOSS project is that big of a crime. The chance to parlay an OSS project into a paying gig is a big part of the reason we work on OSS projects in the first place. Since this is a developer tool anyway, why not fork it and comment out that part of the code if it bugs you that much? I think the developer actually reacted to a stupid issue like this better than I would have - though one has to wonder what he means when talking about going to prison.
It comes of as a bit desperate to me at least, doing it in that manner. Then there's the claim of risking prison if not given a job contrasted with the "of course I can get a job! I actually get a lot of really good job offers, I just can't accept them" statement. As an employer, why risk employing a person like that?

Stock Image Photographer

Commander of the Canadian Nazi KKK League
kiwifarms.net
I know nothing about Rust, but just looked at it. I can't see it taking off and imagine it will just be another unused language that some self righteous nerds came up with.
Rust's syntax is a little bit garbage, but its borrow checking system of memory management is genuinely pretty interesting and avoids some of the problems that came with C where you had to keep meticulous track of how each library you were using managed its memory to prevent leaks. If anything, its community will be the thing that kills it. From the actix drama, to the behind-the-scenes backstabbing going on regarding the two major competing async frameworks, to the library name squatting happening on crates.io, there's a lot of shit going on there. It's especially ironic when you consider that Rust's community tries to present itself as very beginner-friendly and inclusive.

AlexJonesGotMePregnant

he put a baby in my butt
kiwifarms.net
Rust's syntax is a little bit garbage, but its borrow checking system of memory management is genuinely pretty interesting and avoids some of the problems that came with C where you had to keep meticulous track of how each library you were using managed its memory to prevent leaks. If anything, its community will be the thing that kills it. From the actix drama, to the behind-the-scenes backstabbing going on regarding the two major competing async frameworks, to the library name squatting happening on crates.io, there's a lot of shit going on there. It's especially ironic when you consider that Rust's community tries to present itself as very beginner-friendly and inclusive.
It's run by SJWs so you can't trust anything that the "community" says, period.

Tags
None