Resident Evil - Hard-on for STARS

• Apologies for the site issues. The server's shipment was delayed. I'll ask again about it and if they can't provide it I'll source another.

Syaoran Li

How The West Was Fun!
kiwifarms.net
Looking forward to playing RE2's remake. I've been waiting for this for a long time, RE2 has been my favorite in the series since it came out back when I was a kid in 1998.

Not sure if I should get the demo or wait for the full game and have it all be new to me.

desertfoxgoggles

a hot nazi with a machine gun for a chest
kiwifarms.net
The demo of re2 was beautiful. Like, the graphics look damn good and I actually felt a sense of panic playing through it. I don't know what to make of the music though, it's sort of non existant, but then I guess that's what the original ost add on is for.
Obviously I've pre ordered it...
And booked two days off work for it.

Megaroad

Space Adventure
kiwifarms.net
Beat it in 22 minutes. I went in a bit cynical but came out riding the hype train. Getting mad feels.

I turned off the hud which really helped set the mood. Aiming's a bit tough that way, but I got used to it and think it'll add to the tension. Just don't care for just icons floating in the air of my horror games.

And man that RE Engine is impressive. Getting pretty close to uncanny valley with facial expressions. I remember when RE2 came out and those blocky heads bobbing up and down when the characters spoke was cutting edge for consoles.

Fucking Hunk and Tofu!

I don't know what to make of the music though, it's sort of non existant, but then I guess that's what the original ost add on is for.
Does that come with standard edition preorders or just the deluxe edition? Don't remember any music in this other than a sorta remix of the old save room theme (I think). I am interested if they rearrange the Super Tyrant theme and those G-type boss songs.

Last edited:

frozenrunner

Back to the salt mines...
kiwifarms.net
I beat the demo with under two minutes left. Didn't blow me away like the more seminal RE entries (such as 4 and 7) have, but it impressed me in many ways, and it made me want the full game, so... mission accomplished?

You definitely lose something in terms of tension by removing the fixed camera angles. Some fans have been bitching about the camera change since RE4, and they weren't wrong, but it never really mattered because not only have the (better) games post-4 been designed for the over-the-shoulder camera and more action-packed gameplay, so has the horror. RE2's remake is kind of straddling the line there... the layout of the station is very close to the original game, but many things have been changed to keep it fresh and to make it work with the new camera system.

Overall, they made it all work pretty well... but unfortunately, as you're playing it you're comparing it to the original, and in some ways the original was a lot more scary or at least more tense. RE6 tried to return to a "true RE horror" experience with slow zombies, and while it's an unfairly maligned game considered on its own merits, results were mixed as a "survival/horror" game. RE2make does this a lot better, but I'm not going to say I was frightened by the enemies at any point during the demo.

I hope the full game takes a page from the REmake playbook and drastically alters stuff later on. You can tell this is made for fans of the original, which is good. But I have played RE2 through many times, and though it's been years since I last played it, this felt almost too familiar. Only two things in the demo surprised me (aside from how well it ran, how good it looked, and how competently-written the notes/dialogue were): the lack of an event I expected to happen, and one pretty effective, if predictable, cutscene. I want to be way more surprised by the developers' creativity in the real game.

Also lol timed demo.

Looking forward to playing RE2's remake. I've been waiting for this for a long time, RE2 has been my favorite in the series since it came out back when I was a kid in 1998.

Not sure if I should get the demo or wait for the full game and have it all be new to me.
If you're going to buy the full game for sure, I would skip the demo. This isn't like RE7 where the demo was an exclusive experience. It's just a small section towards the beginning of the game.

c-no

Duck
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Decided to spend the five minutes I had left of the demo. One of the lockers had a roll of film that simply showed a picture of a statue that'll be tied to a puzzle. Aside from that, I find it humorous that Leon said "oh shit" while fighting a zombie on the stairs and a second later the demo was over. Funny yet fitting as well.

Megaroad

Space Adventure
kiwifarms.net
You definitely lose something in terms of tension by removing the fixed camera angles.
I was hoping for something at least like Code: Veronica maybe, with fixed cameras that move around with you at least, but those days are sadly over.

Hell, I always liked how the original Silent Hills would alternate between a camera behind you or fixed cameras to make it more dramatic.

But I guess tank controls are just too hard for the exceptional types.

Takayuki Yagami

Justice is Blind, and Autistic
kiwifarms.net
Does anyone have opinions on pad vs keyboard? I haven’r played the demo yet, ans I’m wondering which one people think fits the game better?

Cardenio

Yeed
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I just hope they get why RE1 and the REmake are so adored, and it's not the combat, it's definitely not the story, it's the level design. The Spencer Mansion is such a fantastic piece of game design. The mansion is daunting at first as every door is seemingly locked and Zombies can easily waste your character. Then you peel the layers and you start to know the place as well your own house.

I want REMake 2's Police Station a place I know all too well. It's just a feeling in games that's rarely captured but clearly loved. Basically an element that 90s games had that was slowly abandoned for larger worlds.

Peach's Castle, Spencer Mansion, Raccoon City Police Department, Shadow Moses, System Shock's Citadel Station and Rickenbacker, these are digital worlds I know so well and believe me I don't obsessively play those games like a Speedrunner would. The games are just made in a way that forces you to explore them without feeling like tedious backtracking.

The Verticle Slice Demo feels like Capcom knows what they're doing, but I hesitate thinking they'll make the mistake RE7 did have think they have to speed things along. I was so excited to learn the ins and outs of that Baker mansion and it ended up being far smaller than I hoped. Maybe it was the 1st Person Persective or my own grand hopes but RE7 felt shallow at the end.

Last edited:

Sen02

old dog in a new world
kiwifarms.net
As someone who came into the series at RE4, I figured I'd give the RE2 demo a try because of all the hype surrounding it. Was pretty fun, most likely I'm gonna buy the full game.

Keystone

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Never played any of the original 3 games, but I did quite enjoy the free demo. Ran fine on my computer too so I think I'll be getting this.

I also really like how the setting menu shows you so much -- like how turning a certain setting up/down/off will look with an in-game screenshot next to it. Or how it'll straight up tell you "You're gonna have fuckups if you put this too high" on specific settings. That graphical settings menu should really be the standard for PC games.

_blank_

The Charles Dickens of Disco
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Verticle Slice Demo feels like Capcom knows what they're doing, but I hesitate thinking they'll make the mistake RE7 did have think they have to speed things along. I was so excited to learn the ins and outs of that Baker mansion and it ended up being far smaller than I hoped. Maybe it was the 1st Person Persective or my own grand hopes but RE7 felt shallow at the end.
I think it wasn't supposed to be a mansion, but rather the "Baker house" or "Baker estate." I saw one place call it the "Baker ranch." I know, semantics, and there are admittedly a lot of things that typically wouldn't be in a typical house, but what I mean is that it wasn't supposed to feel like a mansion, but more cozy and lived in.

Plus, I agree with the effect being in 1st person perspective. With Re1, using the fixed camera angles, there were a lot of times that they could make places feel a lot bigger and more intimidating (example: the birdcage room) than they really are geometrically.

King Buzzo

I'm starboard to nowhere on the Milky Way
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I can't count how many times I've played Resident Evil 1, unfortunately it was the director's cut version with the very questionable music. REMake 2's demo was pretty good and can't wait to play the full version, but I really wish Capcom released Resident Evil 1.5 in some form. The history of that game is interesting that someone wrote a book on it.

Last edited:

GentlemanFaggot

I got in...
kiwifarms.net
Oh shit! Downloading the demo now for later.

Loved RE2 as a kid. The game was almost a masterpiece. I remember even the soundtrack scaring the shit out of me, that one Police Station track that incorporated floorboard creaking and, most of all, a door slam, was perfect. As a kid, you don't realize that door slam is just part of the song. Even as an adult, although I know it's just the song, it's still a really good audio effect, really sets the mood.

Conversely, the save room theme was a relief every time it played. They knew how to make the music effect the player, alright.

I hope they keep the Scenario B system. It was cool playing as the character you didn't pick immediately after finishing Scenario A, I didn't know about it as a kid and when I found out I wasn't done with the game after beating it, I was totally hyped.

And then I found out that my Gameshark cheats didn't work in Scenario B and I quickly discovered Mr. X, who was responsible for COUNTLESS sleepless nights as a kid. Dude was fucking scary, especially since as a kid, you don't realize his appearances are all scripted, you think he could just burst through a wall anywhere.

I was a pussy as a kid, sue me.

• Winner
Reactions: Syaoran Li

Cubanodun

Art Deco Cynical
kiwifarms.net
Well I hope this is a great success for one simple reason.

The more profit made by these Resident Evil remakes, the more likely I finally get to see my first ever survival horror franchise come back to life...
Well Capcom released Onimusha Warlords on Steam, so there is hope

GentlemanFaggot

I got in...
kiwifarms.net
Just played it. Pretty good, I like it! Felt the demo was a little short (Guess that was the point...) but it was enough to show some of the changes. Loved seeing Marvin save Leon's ass, Marvin was a bro even if he had bad trigger discipline and pointed a gun at Leon's head for pretty much no reason.

Music was a big part of my love of this game as mentioned above, so I'm a little sad to see it almost not there at all. I know for modern horror games, silence is often preferred in the design, but I would like to see more use of it here just because I loved it so much in the original. I see Capcom is charging for a DLC that adds the original soundtrack in the game, sigh...

But maybe it would clash with the design of the Remake...I dunno

Emperor Julian

kiwifarms.net
Played the Demo and I enjoyed it. Wasnt aware it was possible to finish as I was taking my time and smelling the flowers. It's got a good sense of tension and the interface don't handle like ass so that's one up on 6. I must admit It really hit a nostalgic nerve when I hit the safe room.

I remember the surge of relief when I'd hit one of these safe havens as a kid and it was an total joy to experiance again. They got my 40 bucks for that alone.

Last edited:
Tags
None