The Linux Thread - The Autist's OS of Choice

hauser

kiwifarms.net
Building chromium from source with 32gb of ram on an 8 core cpu with the -jumbo-build USE flag enabled, my system hit under 1 gb of free ram. I did have an additional 1gb of /swap available, but it just shows not only how incredibly bloated modern browsers are, but also how precarious system resources can become.
how does that even happen?

Vecr

"nanoposts with 90° spatial rotational symmetries"
kiwifarms.net
pardon me if this is an obvious question, but what is the primary purpose of compiling software from source? I heard a lot about the concept, of course, and saw plenty about how to do it, but nothing ever about why to do it.
If you want to change it, or update the libraries it's built on, or set compile time feature flags, etc.

• Thunk-Provoking
Reactions: hauser

He Who Points And Laughs

Flavortown Refugee
kiwifarms.net
pardon me if this is an obvious question, but what is the primary purpose of compiling software from source? I heard a lot about the concept, of course, and saw plenty about how to do it, but nothing ever about why to do it.
What Vecr said. Plus you can build it specifically for your hardware instead of generically for all x86_64 CPUs. You maximize performance this way. Many people will also build with -fomit-frame-pointer which will free up a register in the CPU at the cost of not being able to debug (another performance boost).

Last edited:

hauser

kiwifarms.net
what are the differences between using AMD GPUs and NVIDIA GPUs on linux? are AMD GPUs more reliable on linux due to AMD's generally more "open-source nature", or not necessarily?

He Who Points And Laughs

Flavortown Refugee
kiwifarms.net
what are the differences between using AMD GPUs and NVIDIA GPUs on linux? are AMD GPUs more reliable on linux due to AMD's generally more "open-source nature", or not necessarily?
I've used nVidia almost exclusively for many years because of their Linux support and superior drivers. However, modern AMD GPUs have excellent drivers in the kernel, so when I end up making a new desktop, I'll be going with AMD.

nVidia drivers for the kernel are a "blob" that many kernel devs hate, They are closed source. The open source alternative drivers for nVidia (nouveau) suck compared to the proper drivers. AMD's drivers are completely open source.

Coffee Anon

kiwifarms.net
Should I have installed Silverblue instead of the normal workstation version of Fedora?
Is OStree better than nix and guix?

AmpleApricots

kiwifarms.net
The most interesting thing with self-compling these days is that you can, build configuration permitting, remove dependencies/features you don't need out of software you use. Gentoo's useflag system is very good for both configuring this on a system-wide level but also per package. It makes the binaries leaner and from a security standpoint it can reduce attack surface. (can't exploit a "feature" that doesn't exist in your local build) Most binary-only distributions tend to one-size-fits-all builds of software packages that often pull in a lot of unnecessary crap most people won't ever need. This also works the other way around with some software, were you can compile in features packages in most common distros usually don't have. All in all, you're less dependent on what the package maintainer thinks is right. With a source-based distro like gentoo, it's also easy to apply your own local source patches to the software running on your system. For example I once wrote a small patch for a program to switch the mouse buttons (for which there was no configuration toggle) and recompiled. Now that patch will always be applied to all updates to that software as long as it's compatible to the code. This would've been a mess to do in a binary distro in a distro-friendly way.

nvidia driver blobs used to be in the "just works" category and then gradually got worse and now the AMD drivers are a lot better, even for old graphics cards. Nvidia has also a "It doesn't work for you? well go fuck yourself" attitude both to the linux kernel and it's users. That being said, both drivers continually have random weirdness with X11, which also is to no small amount the fault of the x11 maintainers which almost seem to break stuff on purpose.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ???

3119967d0c

a... brain - @StarkRavingMad
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
A good idea is to configure zram partitions as swap, if your computer doesn't belong in a museum some light compression 100% in RAM is usually still a lot faster than trashing even an SSD.
You are a great man. I installed the 'zram-config' package on my Ubuntu machine, left the defaults totally as is. Slight power level, but I only have 8gb of RAM- I now have a whole lot more leeway to leave browsers running with a few tabs for a little longer now. Absolutely fantastic.

Looney Troons

i need that money i really do i need that money
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I hope this isn’t considered too far off-topic, but I am very tired of using Kali and Parrot to perform internal pentests. Would you lot think lesser of me if I pitched the idea for a Core Impact license up? Does anyone have any extended experience with CI?

He Who Points And Laughs

Flavortown Refugee
kiwifarms.net
I hope this isn’t considered too far off-topic, but I am very tired of using Kali and Parrot to perform internal pentests. Would you lot think lesser of me if I pitched the idea for a Core Impact license up? Does anyone have any extended experience with CI?
Personally, I don't trust tools like Core Impact to do the job properly or discretely. Each network or system will have its own quirks and you need to be careful WRT IDS/IPS. I can't justify the cost of Core Impact when there are so many free tools available that can do the job. However, if your company is going to pay for the license you might as well take advantage of it. Just never become dependent on a single tool.

With Nessus and OpenVAS I've come across a lot of false positives and so it's something to take into account. While you're able to analyze an entire class C network with a single tool, you will still need to verify all of the results.

I suppose the biggest advantage is that it is an all-in-one solution for pentesting, so it's easy mode. As for AV evasion, I'm not sure how good it is. I'll check my own exploits against Virus Total before launching them, I don't know if Core Impact will do the same.

Never Scored

kiwifarms.net
Can anyone reccomend a good distro for a Macbook Pro 9,2? This is the last unibody model from 2012. Something where pretty well everything works out of the box without too much fucking around?

Blondie

Don't really do a whole lot.
kiwifarms.net
Can anyone reccomend a good distro for a Macbook Pro 9,2? This is the last unibody model from 2012. Something where pretty well everything works out of the box without too much fucking around?
Best bet for you is Puppy Linux, possibly Manjaro with XFce shoved down its throat.

Citation Checking Project

Wokescolds of the world, unite!
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
That model is just an Intel-based computer in a fancy body. (i-5/i-7) The fact that it's a Mac doesn't constrain you: any distribution that supports the x86_64 architecture will do. (or you can run it in 32-bit mode if you want, but I don't think there's any reason to nowadays) Regarding the "no fucking around part" I can't give an informed opinion because I fuck around with a passion.

• Feels
Reactions: Yotsubaaa

Never Scored

kiwifarms.net
Best bet for you is Puppy Linux
I'm not putting puppy linux on it. It's perfectly capable of running a full blown desktop distro.

That model is just an Intel-based computer in a fancy body. (i-5/i-7) The fact that it's a Mac doesn't constrain you: any distribution that supports the x86_64 architecture will do. (or you can run it in 32-bit mode if you want, but I don't think there's any reason to nowadays) Regarding the "no fucking around part" I can't give an informed opinion because I fuck around with a passion.
I didn't know if there was some weird obscure hardware buried in it that wasn't supported by the majority of distros, like some kind of Apple specific thing for which no linux driver exists or some shit. I'll just go with Mint which is my usual go to and use the live desktop for a couple days to make sure everything works before I install it.

Reactions: 3119967d0c

Blondie

Don't really do a whole lot.
kiwifarms.net
I'm not putting puppy linux on it. It's perfectly capable of running a full blown desktop distro.
>Asks for a recommendation that will run on 2012 hardware.
>Asks for something that can run right out of the box with no real setup.
>Just goes to linux mint after recommended a lightweight linux operating system that checks all those requirements.
What?

Tags
None