The Linux Thread - The Autist's OS of Choice

The Real SVP

kiwifarms.net
What's the appeal of pop os?
Pollish. It feels like a product made to sell on its own merits, rather than on market inertia or buzzwords like the rest of the OS market. (Which is not surprising since system76 is using it as part of the sales pitch for their hardware.) Using it a couple of month ago was also the first time I could do everything I wanted (set up a gaming PC), and everything worked with default configurations in Years. I am used to desktop Linux being a broken, complicated mess. Pop!_OS was a pleasant surprise in that regard.
I still would not recommend it to classic Linux enthusiasts, because I expect everything to brake, as usual, as soon as you veer off the defaults.

Last edited:

Pinochet Was Right

And he did nothing wrong
kiwifarms.net
Guess I'll try it, I read it has decent Nvidia drivers and it's simple to drop GNOME, but I have some arcane preferences about Ubuntu UI customization/integration for Chromium that stem from the Unity days and I still take advantage of, and I think these aren't in other distros despite being Ubuntu-based. If not, I guess I can experiment with Firefox (and eventually I will use Edge for Linux, fight me)

The Real SVP

kiwifarms.net
Guess I'll try it
I'm not sure that would do you much good if you are comfortable enough with Linux to think about changing DEs. It's just another Ubuntoid under the hood. I believe anybody advanced enough to do that or to go without a desktop environment is much better served by giving up distro-hopping. Just use Arch or Gentoo. Or do your own thing based on LFS or a minimal Slackware install.
All the things distros do to make life easier for their audience just get in the way when you want to do things your way instead. And the investment of having to learn at least a little bit about the software you are using is paid back the instant you want to do something unusual that does not have a million tutorials about it, or run into a problem not solved by a simple google search.

• Agree
Reactions: Ask Jeeves

tehpope

Archivist
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So I'm still on Manjaro. Switched back to xfce. At the end of may, I started using my desktop more and more. Budgie shat the bed one time after a reboot. Couldn't get it to start. That's when I switched to xfce. I had to re-install it a twice or thrice because xorg shat the bed. Not sure why. Might have been some orphan program I removed. Haven't had any issues this current install.

My mobo (GA-AB350M-Gaming 3) broke the display for GRUB. Shit sucks. I updated my BIOS and it happened. Still works, but its just a black screen. There's a new update out. I'll try it out later.

RubberbandMan

My dick is elastic
kiwifarms.net
I'm waiting to get a new PC from Origin at some point, I'm currently investing in a real estate thing that my dad's doing so; I can have financial independence.

Ask Jeeves

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So I'm still on Manjaro. Switched back to xfce. At the end of may, I started using my desktop more and more. Budgie shat the bed one time after a reboot. Couldn't get it to start. That's when I switched to xfce. I had to re-install it a twice or thrice because xorg shat the bed. Not sure why. Might have been some orphan program I removed. Haven't had any issues this current install.

My mobo (GA-AB350M-Gaming 3) broke the display for GRUB. Shit sucks. I updated my BIOS and it happened. Still works, but its just a black screen. There's a new update out. I'll try it out later.
Have you tried remaking the config file? (make a backup of your current one prior to running just incase)
Bash:
# grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

Never Scored

kiwifarms.net
Maybe one of you fine gentlemen can help me out with this because I'm not having much luck Googling the problem.

So, I pirate most of my shit through NZBs that download files over Usenet. The program I use is called SabNZB which is written in Python 2.7.

How do I associate the .nzb filetype with a Python 2.7 program in Linux, specifically Manjaro?

I created a launcher on the Desktop that's just "Python 2.7 [path to .py file]", and I'm able to launch SabNZB itself and manually add NZBs no problem by double-clicking that, but when I right click on an NZB, select Open With and try to associate the file type with this launcher it doesn't work. Can anyone offer some insight? It's not the end of the world, I can still download my shit. It's more just a convenience thing.

Vecr

"nanoposts with 90° spatial rotational symmetries"
kiwifarms.net
Maybe one of you fine gentlemen can help me out with this because I'm not having much luck Googling the problem.

So, I pirate most of my shit through NZBs. A program I use is called SabNZB which is written in Python 2.7.

How do I associate the .nzb filetype with a Python 2.7 program in Linux, specifically Manjaro?

I created a launcher on the Desktop that's just "Python 2.7 [path to .py file]", and I'm able to launch SabNZB itself and manually add NZBs no problem by double-clicking that, but when I right click on an NZB, select Open With and try to associate the file type with this launcher it doesn't work. Can anyone offer some insight? It's not the end of the world, I can still download my shit, more just a convenience thing.
I think making a wrapper script and running the thing from the terminal might be better/less confusing, but I can help write custom desktop files if you really want to.

• Informative
Reactions: Never Scored

Ask Jeeves

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

So, I pirate most of my shit through NZBs that download files over Usenet. The program I use is called SabNZB which is written in Python 2.7.

I created a launcher on the Desktop that's just "Python 2.7 [path to .py file]", and I'm able to launch SabNZB itself and manually add NZBs no problem by double-clicking that, but when I right click on an NZB, select Open With and try to associate the file type with this launcher it doesn't work. Can anyone offer some insight? It's not the end of the world, I can still download my shit. It's more just a convenience thing.
Can this SabNZB open .nzb files?
If so find out where the SabNZB.desktop file is (it's probably /usr/share/applications/sabnzb.desktop)
Then edit ~/.config/mimeapps.list in a text editor and append to the bottom....
Code:
nbz=/pathtothe.desktopfile/sabnzb.desktop
then click on the file in your file browser and it should open using that software

Never Scored

kiwifarms.net
Can this SabNZB open .nzb files?
If so find out where the SabNZB.desktop file is (it's probably /usr/share/applications/sabnzb.desktop)
Then edit ~/.config/mimeapps.list in a text editor and append to the bottom....
Code:
nbz=/pathtothe.desktopfile/sabnzb.desktop
then click on the file in your file browser and it should open using that software
Thanks. I'll give this a try. It's something that's such a mild inconvenience I'm not going to put a lot of time or energy into it if there's no simple solution.

Basil II

my dimension is augmented
kiwifarms.net
Getting a new computer soon and want to get away from Microsoft spyware and "Update your computer goyim", is there any distro that just werks? Also how is WINE coming along nowadays?

Never Scored

kiwifarms.net
Ubuntu and it's derivatives like Mint and also Arch based Manjaro are all pretty simple to use. If you can handle say, installing Windows 7, you will be able to handle installing them. Make sure to install third party software a drivers, an option during install, and most setups work out of the box.

AFAIK wine is hit or miss, mostly hit for older stuff, but I don't play a lot of games. I install stuff like cracked games from the early 2000s all the time and they work fine.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Basil II

Sam Losco

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Nah, building a tower with a Ryzen 5 3600 and a 5700 Xt.
You should be ok then with Mint (and Ubuntu) out of the box. I think the issues come in with the Ryzen's with integrated graphics. Mint 20 ships with kernel 5.4 and that kernel doesn't really support them. I had to install in compatibility mode and then upgrade the kernel to 5.7. As soon as Ubuntu releases a non-RC 5.8, I'll upgrade to that.

I have a desktop Ryzen 7 2700 that I put Mint 19 on with no issues. It's now Mint 20 with the default kernel.

Basil II

my dimension is augmented
kiwifarms.net
You should be ok then with Mint (and Ubuntu) out of the box. I think the issues come in with the Ryzen's with integrated graphics. Mint 20 ships with kernel 5.4 and that kernel doesn't really support them. I had to install in compatibility mode and then upgrade the kernel to 5.7. As soon as Ubuntu releases a non-RC 5.8, I'll upgrade to that.

I have a desktop Ryzen 7 2700 that I put Mint 19 on with no issues. It's now Mint 20 with the default kernel.
I already got Manjaro downloaded, if you know, redpill me on the differences between Mint and Manjaro.

Tags
None