The Linux Thread - The Autist's OS of Choice

tehpope

My Face Everyday | Archivist
True & Honest Fan
I switched from Manjaro to Artix on my main pc. I enjoy it, but the xfce installer leaves a lot to be desired. A lot of items I usually use aren't installed. and I don't mean applications. Like base-devel and FUCKING WGET. Like wtf. It could be the iso I downloaded, since its considered community. And it was a little bit of a pain to get pamac installed. But I got everything working now. Definitely not out of the box friendly for normies.

After getting everything setup, it runs like Arch / Manajaro / et. al. Using the OpenRC version. I'm a littled pissed and baffled, most the latter, that basic shit like base-devel and wget aren't included.

edit: bluetooth wasn't setup either. Not even included with the basic install. JFC on the cross Artix. I love you but hate you too. Its like one step above Gentoo in that at least I don't have to compile the fucking sources to get bluetooth running. But normies beware of Artix. Stick with Manjaro unless you're willing to learn.

Last edited:

Dick Justice

Where have all the cowdogs gone?
True & Honest Fan
Why does everyone and their dog seem to be using an arch distro these days? Was the notorious btw I use arch viral marketing such a success?

... oh god. (WHY)

Still I like apt, and have all my scripts for autosetting up Debian. I haven't had any issues with Debian,

Plus I do alot of coreboot/libreboot stuff and I've had better documentation for that on Debian. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to switch distributions, but I dislike arch's rolling release and their partway abandonment of i686.

I have used RedHat before, but not fedora. I did not like the experience.
Arch was decent, but I like the stability of Debian
Gentoo was way too slow for the hardware I use, compile times kinda suck.
Openbsd was great for servers, the limited amount of software made me a bit wary of using it as a daily OS.

I haven't really messed with much else. I don't really distrohop due to the need of setting up scripts. Debootstrap is wonderful.

Diversity conferences seem a bit redundant on projects as big as debian, but I feel like Uri is rolling in his grave. This is just unprofessional.

Francesco Dellamorte

eh, could be worse
Something has gone subtly wrong each time I've installed Deb this year, but that's probably my fault. My only real complaint, besides the pozzed stuff, is that CMake was a bit outdated and required a manual compile & install. But yeah, that's the trade-off for stability. I hadn't heard of Debootstrap before, so thanks, it looks quite interesting.

I'm really happy with Arch (which I use, btw) and how much I've learnt from it.

tehpope

My Face Everyday | Archivist
True & Honest Fan
Why does everyone and their dog seem to be using an arch distro these days? Was the notorious btw I use arch viral marketing such a success?
I use it because its bleeding edge. The tipping point for me to switch to arch was Debian having out of date Steam binaries and gpu drivers. Arch and its offsprings don't have that issue.

TheBest

Nulls favorite little kitten
The one thing I hate about Fedora is that it breaks Wayland support for my Nvidia card easily. I can never get it to work and have to fall back to x.org which really defeats the purpose (for me) to use Fedora anyway.

Saigon63

Tossin the Shaka’s on the way out
I'm going straight windows with a WSL. F# + Powershell 5 + x64 + PostgreSQL with the MSN user account extensibility blows to shit any linux distro I've seen. Hands down, if you can't use powershell then you dont understand just how far ahead they are. Using simple Java Injection into XML data, you can literally send a complex pay load for chump change as the invocations happen outside the scope of the RPC message sender.

Basil II

A BOMB.
I'm going straight windows with a WSL. F# + Powershell 5 + x64 + PostgreSQL with the MSN user account extensibility blows to shit any linux distro I've seen. Hands down, if you can't use powershell then you dont understand just how far ahead they are. Using simple Java Injection into XML data, you can literally send a complex pay load for chump change as the invocations happen outside the scope of the RPC message sender.
*laughs in spyware*

teriyakiburns

Few people in comedy have careers after age 50.
... oh god. (WHY)

Still I like apt, and have all my scripts for autosetting up Debian. I haven't had any issues with Debian,

Plus I do alot of coreboot/libreboot stuff and I've had better documentation for that on Debian. I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to switch distributions, but I dislike arch's rolling release and their partway abandonment of i686.

I have used RedHat before, but not fedora. I did not like the experience.
Arch was decent, but I like the stability of Debian
Gentoo was way too slow for the hardware I use, compile times kinda suck.
Openbsd was great for servers, the limited amount of software made me a bit wary of using it as a daily OS.

I haven't really messed with much else. I don't really distrohop due to the need of setting up scripts. Debootstrap is wonderful.

Diversity conferences seem a bit redundant on projects as big as debian, but I feel like Uri is rolling in his grave. This is just unprofessional.
The problem with debian is that it used to be a universal distro. You could run debian with hurd, BSD, linux, or... I think there was another kernel and toolchain as well. Now it's universal+linux/systemd, and that's entirely because of this entryist shit.

3119967d0c

"a brain" - @REGENDarySumanai
True & Honest Fan
The problem with debian is that it used to be a universal distro. You could run debian with hurd, BSD, linux, or... I think there was another kernel and toolchain as well. Now it's universal+linux/systemd, and that's entirely because of this entryist shit.
Devuan is great. Though, the disgusting freaks infiltrating Debian keep trying to make it harder for those guys to maintain by stripping out files for real init systems from the base Debian packages.

My opinion is that people should just go ahead and install gentoo. Besides all the memes, gentoo is basically kind of a meta-distribution with a really advanced package manager. It's very easy to spin your own custom packages or overwrite packages from the maintainers with preferred local versions if the maintainers are being retarded. (for example adding dependencies the package doesn't really need or removing packages for no real reason) With careful configuration you can do fun things like freeze non-internet facing applications to a version that doesn't require newer libraries you don't want to install (e.g. >=GTK3) Or just keep around packages that the distro maintainers removed from the main tree some reason. emerge/portage takes care of it all without much pain. If you get the hang of it, maintaining all of this takes all of five minutes every few months and you'll not touch some configuration files in years. It's a lot better than to deal with the whims of the different distros out there.

USE flags allow you to avoid bloat and unnecessary dependencies further. An argument against gentoo was always ricing and wasted time on compiling. First, you don't have to rice if you don't want to (in fact, it's usually pointless to try to do so) and second compile times haven't been an issue even on high-end ARM SoCs these days. On my current AMD Ryzen 4650G Pro, a lot of packages are finished with compiling in under thirty seconds.

Yes, the learning curve is a bit steeper but you also learn more and generally also learn what puts a system together which is knowledge that's transferable into many other situations. Don't let them box you in with their various black boxes IMO.

Last edited:

3119967d0c

True & Honest Fan
My opinion is that people should just go ahead and install gentoo. Besides all the memes, gentoo is basically kind of a meta-distribution with a really advanced package manager. It's very easy to spin your own custom packages or overwrite packages from the maintainers with preferred local versions if the maintainers are being retarded. (for example adding dependencies the package doesn't really need or removing packages for no real reason) With careful configuration you can do fun things like freeze non-internet facing applications to a version that doesn't require newer libraries you don't want to install (e.g. >=GTK3) Or just keep around packages that the distro maintainers removed from the main tree some reason. emerge/portage takes care of it all without much pain. If you get the hang of it, maintaining all of this takes all of five minutes every few months and you'll not touch some configuration files in years. It's a lot better than to deal with the whims of the different distros out there.

USE flags allow you to avoid bloat and unnecessary dependencies further. An argument against gentoo was always ricing and wasted time on compiling. First, you don't have to rice if you don't want to (in fact, it's usually pointless to try to do so) and second compile times haven't been an issue even on high-end ARM SoCs these days. On my current AMD Ryzen 4650G Pro, a lot of packages are finished with compiling in under thirty seconds.

Yes, the learning curve is a bit steeper but you also learn more and generally also learn what puts a system together which is knowledge that's transferable into many other situations. Don't let them box you in with their various black boxes IMO.
RIP

Entirely serious and I'll fight anyone to the grave. Gentoo was my first exposure to Linux. It's not that hard.

I've watched many other distros do truly retarded and frustrating things to their users over the years while I could laugh from afar. Not that Gentoo is innocent of such crimes, you as the End-user just have more remedies. I think if I'd want the "full OS" experience where everything "just works" and I don't get to tweak the details while still being sort of an power user I'd skip the world of Linux distros altogether, because honestly in that regard Linux just isn't that good.

garakfan69

Colleague of MovieBob
I always found gentoo to be complete overkill and I hate emerge - it's so slow (not talking about compile times - just calculating dependencies and shit takes forever on a weak machine).
The few packages I need to customize the configure flags for, I just compile myself.

That's what I appreciate about Slackware. It gives you a simple, very vanilla system and you don't have to worry about things being incompatible with some super specialized minimalist system. A simple "make install" usually works without any problems.

3119967d0c

True & Honest Fan
Entirely serious and I'll fight anyone to the grave. Gentoo was my first exposure to Linux. It's not that hard.

I've watched many other distros do truly retarded and frustrating things to their users over the years while I could laugh from afar. Not that Gentoo is innocent of such crimes, you as the End-user just have more remedies. I think if I'd want the "full OS" experience where everything "just works" and I don't get to tweak the details while still being sort of an power user I'd skip the world of Linux distros altogether, because honestly in that regard Linux just isn't that good.
Fair- it just reminded me of a Trollaxor style evangelism post for some reason and I assumed you'd got it from @SIGSEGV's copypasta dump.

I did use Gentoo for a few years back in the Athlon XP days.. it worked well, I gather they still support a real init system. A good fallback if the scum at Debian manage to kill the Devuan project.