ValiDate - an upcoming (and unsurprisingly racist) visual novel made by SJW's, for SJW's.

Gmorning

kiwifarms.net
1617365136707.png

Hmmm, are you sure it's corporate parodies that caused your game to struggle?

The Littlest Shitlord

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
View attachment 2053403
Is this really a parody? I don't see a single hideous undateable vague brown blob ambiguously-gendered person in any of those screenshots, and the art looks professional too. It sounds like a product from an established company that actually succeeds in releasing things too. I honestly don't see any resemblance.

Dysnomia

Is Reimu gonna have to smack a bitch?
kiwifarms.net
Is this really a parody? I don't see a single hideous undateable vague brown blob ambiguously-gendered person in any of those screenshots, and the art looks professional too. It sounds like a product from an established company that actually succeeds in releasing things too. I honestly don't see any resemblance.

It's from Riot.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/valoran...-agents-romance-dating-sim-game-based-shooter

Sounds amusing. They just had an idea that was halfway serious and ran with it. It's a spin-off of Valorant. So it already has roots in an established game. They also managed to do all this without "fuck white people" memes.

Dani just jelly.

>impossible for me to get my game funded
What the hell is this then???
View attachment 2053455

I'll take "Big fat scam" for $500 Alex.

feline hysteria

kiwifarms.net
(new here been lurking for a while)

It's genuinely fucking baffling how they think dating sim parodies and jokes are why their game wasn't taken seriously by publishers. Surely it has nothing to do with the fact that they're trying to make a 90 hour long dating sim with 12 characters and 60 routes, with someone who has no prior experience making games as lead developer? The replies to her tweet crying about the Valorant thing were full of people whining about how "VN's aren't taken seriouslyyy" as if Ace Attorney, Danganronpa, DDLC, etc. don't exist and aren't widely liked and critically acclaimed; maybe it has more to do with your game being fucking impossible to take seriously with its SJW ass name, Steven Universe font, and retarded character design. Not to mention, the Valorant thing ended up not even being a joke, they're releasing an actual expansion, so I really don't get how that "undermines the VN genre".

Dating simulators are an inherently fun and lighthearted genre (unless its something like DDLC I guess), and they filled this shit with dated and terrible memes, so I cannot wrap my head around why they're mad their joke game is being treated like a joke.

And kind of unrelated, but does anyone else feel like the devs are much more concerned with creating a fandom around their game... than the actual game? The constant "memes" that are just characters pasted over tumblr posts... Them having put aside a "merch budget" for a game that isnt out yet ( who does that??? pay your fucking staff first)... and the damn "stan validate/yolanda" stickers.

eeeeeeeeeeeee_diot

probably retarded
kiwifarms.net

It's genuinely fucking baffling how they think dating sim parodies and jokes are why their game wasn't taken seriously by publishers. Surely it has nothing to do with the fact that they're trying to make a 90 hour long dating sim with 12 characters and 60 routes, with someone who has no prior experience making games as lead developer? The replies to her tweet crying about the Valorant thing were full of people whining about how "VN's aren't taken seriouslyyy" as if Ace Attorney, Danganronpa, DDLC, etc. don't exist and aren't widely liked and critically acclaimed; maybe it has more to do with your game being fucking impossible to take seriously with its SJW ass name, Steven Universe font, and retarded character design. Not to mention, the Valorant thing ended up not even being a joke, they're releasing an actual expansion, so I really don't get how that "undermines the VN genre".

Dating simulators are an inherently fun and lighthearted genre (unless its something like DDLC I guess), and they filled this shit with dated and terrible memes, so I cannot wrap my head around why they're mad their joke game is being treated like a joke.

And kind of unrelated, but does anyone else feel like the devs are much more concerned with creating a fandom around their game... than the actual game? The constant "memes" that are just characters pasted over tumblr posts... Them having put aside a "merch budget" for a game that isnt out yet ( who does that??? pay your fucking staff first)... and the damn "stan validate/yolanda" stickers.
Oh yeah, definitely. It feels like they're spending their time building up the "fandom culture" for their game. Rate me :optimistic:, but it feels like they're already making woobified characterizations of the characters with their shitty mobile game ad-tier memes and general treatment of their characters.
This genuinely baffles me. I sat here for an hour trying to figure out how a silly but seemingly well-crafted VN of a multiplayer FPS game led to "and this is why muh vidya game is not taken seriously" talk. The Valorant dating sim does not resemble Validate in any way whatsoever. It doesn't even parody SJW stereotypes. What, is it because of the funny haha meme dialogue in the screenshots? Validate didn't invent shitty humor, Dani.

Next Task

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
This genuinely baffles me. I sat here for an hour trying to figure out how a silly but seemingly well-crafted VN of a multiplayer FPS game led to "and this is why muh vidya game is not taken seriously" talk. The Valorant dating sim does not resemble Validate in any way whatsoever. It doesn't even parody SJW stereotypes. What, is it because of the funny haha meme dialogue in the screenshots? Validate didn't invent shitty humor, Dani.
Because NO FUN ALLOWED. Oh, and ETERNALLY OPPRESSED THROUGH NO FAULT OF MY OWN. That pretty much covers it.

Couldn't be the game is shit, the concept is shit, the execution is shit, and the people behind it don't actually want to make a game, they want to have made a game without doing any work. Couldn't be because aggression towards the vast majority of the population for not instantly worshiping 'The Worst of Idpol: The Visual Novel' turns people off wanting to deal with you or your product. Couldn't even be because the attempts to be inclusive and representative are so ham-fisted and random that they're ignorant, wrong, and straight-up racist.

No, none of that ever applies. It's everyone else who is wrong.

Dysnomia

Is Reimu gonna have to smack a bitch?
kiwifarms.net

They are going full blown YanDev with it. The memes and fandom are keeping the train a' rollin'. It gives them a smug satisfaction that they have memes and stickers and fanart for something that will likely be kept in development hell until the big crunch returns us all to zero.

Anybody who criticizes them are racists. Never mind how racist the game itself is. They literally chose to pick on a guy just for being white by making jokes about his Italian heritage. Probably unaware or uncaring of the discrimination Italian immigrants faced. But fuck white people, right?

Because NO FUN ALLOWED. Oh, and ETERNALLY OPPRESSED THROUGH NO FAULT OF MY OWN. That pretty much covers it.

Couldn't be the game is shit, the concept is shit, the execution is shit, and the people behind it don't actually want to make a game, they want to have made a game without doing any work. Couldn't be because aggression towards the vast majority of the population for not instantly worshiping 'The Worst of Idpol: The Visual Novel' turns people off wanting to deal with you or your product. Couldn't even be because the attempts to be inclusive and representative are so ham-fisted and random that they're ignorant, wrong, and straight-up racist.

No, none of that ever applies. It's everyone else who is wrong.

All the blasians look like regular old black folk with no serious attempt to equally represent the diversity of mixed race people. Weird combos of race that seem more like a way to cram as much diversity into the cast as possible rather than give the stage to underrepresented races in the first place.

And not that Emhari is responsible for this being fictional, but choosing to represent Qatar so close to the 2022 World Cup and the horrific treatment of foreign workers there, who are basically slave labor, seems tone deaf for a bunch of dedicated #wokesters. Like most SJWs they are ignorant of injustices outside their own sphere. They don't care about the workers who have died. But if it was a white country enslaving brown people you better believe it would be a problem.

Maybe I'm being a little overdone on this. But none of their fans have brought it up yet these things are always a huge discussion when the ones in power are white. It's amazing how the people who REEEEEE equality are the least equality minded of them all.

retard on retard violenceView attachment 2054493

Oh yeah Dani. That jelly's flowin'. Pretty high sodium levels too. :lol:

Not that TLOU2 is anything to be jelly about. But methinks something happened in terms of publisher talks that royally ticked her off and now she needs to vent.

Wonder what it was? Maybe they aren't far along enough to be considered or they missed a deadline to prove they were working earnestly. Too busy with memes and stickers to actually work on it. Could be the overall quality too. Bad art cohesian really downgrades the already bad quality. Dani might just be totally inflexible. Face it, this game isn't going to sell much. There are too many characters and routes for a first time dating sim. Paring it down and sprucing up the art and writing could really help. But that ain't happening. Maybe no one wants to touch the racism?

She probably thought this was gonna be some huge thing. And it's obviously not. Not even close. Has reality set in?

Disc

I want my cringe New Years Announcement, dammit.
kiwifarms.net
...But methinks something happened in terms of publisher talks that royally ticked her off and now she needs to vent.

Wonder what it was? Maybe they aren't far along enough to be considered or they missed a deadline to prove they were working earnestly. Too busy with memes and stickers to actually work on it. Could be the overall quality too. Bad art cohesian really downgrades the already bad quality. Dani might just be totally inflexible. Face it, this game isn't going to sell much. There are too many characters and routes for a first time dating sim. Paring it down and sprucing up the art and writing could really help. But that ain't happening. Maybe no one wants to touch the racism?

She probably thought this was gonna be some huge thing. And it's obviously not. Not even close. Has reality set in?
I wouldn't be surprised if they missed a deadline or something. We've only seen one demo with a handful of routes available, and most of them were for designated scumbag malik.

The thing is, the moment they tied each character to an artist, they fucked themselves. They can't fire at LEAST any of those twelve artists because the art shift would be extremely noticeable.

It could also have to do with their patreon's actual success, shown below in AUD:

1617497673697.png

1617497714202.png
1617497934831.png

I'm taking this to mean that the actual usd prices are 5 and 10. In which case, literally nobody has bought the second tier.

There are only FOUR more patrons than there are staff on the game, and they're all contributing the minimum tier. The patreon plan is doomed from the outset, as should any kickstarter that tries to double-dip.

Dumpster dived waifu

Sieg heil mein waifu
kiwifarms.net
The thing is, the moment they tied each character to an artist, they fucked themselves. They can't fire at LEAST any of those twelve artists because the art shift would be extremely noticeable.
Wouldn't even remotely be a problem but instead they decided to spinelessly let all of the artists do whatever the fuck they want.

Corn Flakes

Battle Creek's Finest
kiwifarms.net
I'm trying to understand why the fuck they even need those twelve artists for. Sure, they have a large roster, but character designers and illustrators for Japanese VNs can pull off entire rosters all by themselves, or using assistants/co-artists that mimic their style. What's the purpose of having all these artists with different styles? Just woke posturing about how "inclusive" and "diverse" their staff is?

Aaa0aaa0

internet sticker enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
Not to mention, the Valorant thing ended up not even being a joke, they're releasing an actual expansion, so I really don't get
She's burning with jealousy and it's pretty funny given her queen bee attitude. She envies them so much it'a amazing.
The main creator actually started out as a creator in the homestuck fandom, doing a lot in it and even releasing a short VN for it. She comes from fandom and she and her pals bring it with them. It kinda makes sense as some weird AU Homestuck thing that evolved past its original concept (it's not actually, it is just my gay theory).
And not that Emhari is responsible for this being fictional, but choosing to represent Qatar so close to the 2022 World Cup and the horrific treatment of foreign workers there, who are basically slave labor, seems tone deaf for a bunch of dedicated #wokesters. Like most SJWs they are ignorant of injustices outside their own sphere. They don't care about the workers who have died. But if it was a white country enslaving brown people you better believe it would be a problem.
IIRC, the characters in the game are based off of each creator's irl ethnicity. So it is probably an accident.
There are only FOUR more patrons than there are staff on the game, and they're all contributing the minimum tier. The patreon plan is doomed from the outset, as should any kickstarter that tries to double-dip.
Lol. Imagine needing more than 32,000$ to finish a renpy game, let alone 32k in the first place.
I'm trying to understand why the fuck they even need those twelve artists for. Sure, they have a large roster, but character designers and illustrators for Japanese VNs can pull off entire rosters all by themselves, or using assistants/co-artists that mimic their style. What's the purpose of having all these artists with different styles? Just woke posturing about how "inclusive" and "diverse" their staff is?
Each staff member can accurately represent and write their own character. It's getting the voices of marginalized people out there, getting a variety of artist to split up work, and covering their asses if someone accuses them of racism.

Disc

I want my cringe New Years Announcement, dammit.
kiwifarms.net
So there's a gold mine we've all been missing.

Several, arguably.

I was talking with some kiwis about the patreon, and the kickstarter came up in the discussion. This prompted me to check the updates, and I spotted some... interesting things.

So, first, the biggest thing - they are changing the publishing model of the game:

On March 28, my time, they released this update, number 14 on the kickstarter:

ValiDate is changing a little, our game is still very much coming out, but the format will be a bit different. We have decided that it would be best to split our into three parts opposed to one whole game. We came to this conclusion because we have decided to self-publish our game since we have had great difficulty finding a publisher who will take us on. Us self-publishing ensures that everyone on the team is getting paid what they deserve without a corporation taking a chunk of it. With every purchase of our game, the money will go back to the indie developers who have been working nonstop on this game.

Our game will be released in volumes, (and yes, if you already purchased a copy via our KS tiers, you will receive all volumes for free). The first volume will be the base game, sold for $9.99. The second two volumes will be DLC set at $4.99 per DLC. Each volume will have four characters (still being decided on) and extra features to ensure our players our getting the full ValiDate experience!
Short translation: We're not even close to done, but we might be able to take four specific characters and publish their routes. We can't decide who because the malik guy finished first and he's the best character realistically but the worst in-lore.

Yeah, this game's development is fucked. No one is going to buy the DLC. some stooges will buy the base game, but NOBODY will buy the dlc.

(And for more details, that means the bottom tier of patreon pays for the game in four months, but that's neither here nor there).

But it was when I went back through the kickstarter updates that things started getting interesting.

Update 13 is hidden to non-backers, but update 12 is not:

Woah! Hey everyone, it has been a while.

We're working, we promise. We paused production for a few months due to contracts but we're getting back in the swing of things again! We will be posting more updates with screenshots of our progress in the next few weeks.

We hope everyone is having a safe and healthy new years!
So, two things to note here. One, update 13 was almost exactly two months later, so they didn't follow through on their 'more updates with screenshots' promise.

Two, they paused production for a few months?!

This prompted me to check their Patreon for more details. Turns out, not only does patreon have more updates, but depending on the exact page you look at them from, you can see the start of most of the posts.

It lets us take a look at the equivalent of Kickstarter's update 13, for example:

1617627822665.png

We can only see this opening text if they did not include any screenshots with it. So, that means that for three months after they promised updates with screenshots... none of them have gotten to patreon or kickstarter :story:

This also lets us see what they meant by that pause. Putting this in spoilers because it's got a lot of big pictures.

1617628068174.png

In august, they announced they were starting a break and would not be charging patreons. fair enough, at least in theory. The problem is, this break would not last just for august.

1617628294059.png
1617628323747.png

Once september has ALREADY HIT, they announce they'll keep delaying until october. At the end of September, they maintain that promise, but promises are, after all, made to be broken.

1617628417898.png

They announce that they're working again in NOVEMBER, and say they're going to be reworking the UI. What followed was two seperate updates on the UI - one for text boxes on Nov 24th, and one for the settings page on December 16. That is every single patreon or kickstarter update they've released since august 10.

So, their one-month break starting around August 10 became either two or three months, I'd guess 3, because of their sheer laziness.

But it gets worse. It gets so much worse.

Do you want to know why they decided to take a break in August, around the tenth? Because of this:

1617628910294.png

These motherfuckers.

1617628939005.png

These actual scam artists.

1617629017250.png

These fuckers took a month break when their game got funded, and extended that break for at least another month, if not two. Literally right on the back of getting their game funded, they pissed away a quarter of a year.

I just... I can't.

I have no words that can describe how hilariously, infuriatingly pathetic this is. They literally pissed away three months, only to come back after those three months and start redoing everything.

If any of the 25 patrons or the 1600 kickstarters want to share what we missed. Please do. I would love to see more of this train wreck in motion.