YABookgate -

Piga Dgrifm

Pita Griffin
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The most infuriating thing about Twitter right now regarding this is a bunch of them trying to say canceling doesn't even exist. They claim this because rich people aren't effected by it enough. Bruh, just because super wealthy people are already too rich to be affected by your bullshit doesn't make it magically okay to dox randos and get them fired because they made a joke you didn't like. Look at that kid Skai Jackson doxed, he got expelled from school and both his parents lost their jobs because he made a stupid joke she got upset over. Count Dankula can't get a job anywhere because whenever a place hires him, they get flooded with calls from Twitter users harassing them, all because he made a dumb joke. That's what cancel culture does, you guys are just pointing to rich celebrities that haven't gone broke yet from your screeching because it makes you look like you're doing less harm than you actually are.

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 8.34.34 PM.png

I like this one tho:

Screen Shot 2020-07-09 at 8.39.29 PM.png

SpeedOSanicRee

Gotta Scroll Fast
kiwifarms.net
The most infuriating thing about Twitter right now regarding this is a bunch of them trying to say canceling doesn't even exist. They claim this because rich people aren't effected by it enough. Bruh, just because super wealthy people are already too rich to be affected by your bullshit doesn't make it magically okay to dox randos and get them fired because they made a joke you didn't like. Look at that kid Skai Jackson doxed, he got expelled from school and both his parents lost their jobs because he made a stupid joke she got upset over. Count Dankula can't get a job anywhere because whenever a place hires him, they get flooded with calls from Twitter users harassing them, all because he made a dumb joke. That's what cancel culture does, you guys are just pointing to rich celebrities that haven't gone broke yet from your screeching because it makes you look like you're doing less harm than you actually are.

View attachment 1438591

I like this one tho:

View attachment 1438599
I'd argue that they're doing far more damage because of who is being affected. JK Rowling could retire today and live very comfortably for the rest of her life. Same for Mel Gibson. But the people they do successfully 'cancel' can't typically come back from it. Hell, there's a body count now from cancel culture. They wanna talk about these rich AF people who they didn't bring down, I can talk about the multiple people that cancel culture has pushed to suicide.

It's never ever enough. Might as well not bother caving to them.

Mola Ram

Self Righteous Ego Bastard Asshole
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I'd argue that they're doing far more damage because of who is being affected. JK Rowling could retire today and live very comfortably for the rest of her life. Same for Mel Gibson. But the people they do successfully 'cancel' can't typically come back from it. Hell, there's a body count now from cancel culture. They wanna talk about these rich AF people who they didn't bring down, I can talk about the multiple people that cancel culture has pushed to suicide.

It's never ever enough. Might as well not bother caving to them.
"Cancel culture isn't real, and if you get cancelled you probably deserved it."

SpeedOSanicRee

Gotta Scroll Fast
kiwifarms.net
"Cancel culture isn't real, and if you get cancelled you probably deserved it."
They probably do think this. It's sickening. I don't think anyone deserves to be pushed to the point of suicide, but okay.

The thing with Skai Jackson sickens me because one of the people she exposed was a 13yo. I think everyone has said stupid shit at 13. I said things at that age that I no longer believe at all, but if it came out now it'd make me look like a shitty person because at the time, yes, it was bad. People need to chill TF out. Trying to get children exposed for being children is ridiculous.

Mola Ram

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
They probably do think this. It's sickening. I don't think anyone deserves to be pushed to the point of suicide, but okay.

The thing with Skai Jackson sickens me because one of the people she exposed was a 13yo. I think everyone has said stupid shit at 13. I said things at that age that I no longer believe at all, but if it came out now it'd make me look like a shitty person because at the time, yes, it was bad. People need to chill TF out. Trying to get children exposed for being children is ridiculous.
I wasn't really joking. Scan "writer twitter" (a phrase to make one vomit) just for a little while and you'll see oodles of examples of this Orwellian doublethink.

Someone in a Tree

It's the ripple, not the sea that is happening
kiwifarms.net
And if they can’t find the exact words to use against someone, they’ll throw out dog whistle, a term that they have robbed of all meaning since it’s now just trotted our to make something they can’t refute sound sinister. I’d be more shocked by their denial of cancel culture if it weren’t for all the other recorded cases of them denying reality.

Robert James

Not your average John Smith
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Not surprised it didn't happen earlier, Anime and light novels are one of the few forms of media that have been difficult to infest. Light novels haven't blown up in the U.S. as much as Anime or Manga so they probably thought they could take them off the table without much notice. This is the U.S. afterall if you can't beat your competition get the government to step in and ban them.

assdick42069

kiwifarms.net

View attachment 1438591

I like this one tho:

View attachment 1438599
I'm relieved that cancel culture isn't real because multimillionaires are still rich.
Thank you based progressives, the working class would be nowhere without you!

Elwood P. Dowd

Gone Daddy Gone
kiwifarms.net
How much longer until they start coming after LitRPG cum (in more ways than one) Harem FapFics or whatever? This might be a misreading on my part, and I hope it is, but Amazon is not quite the wild west of self-publishing it was, even a few years ago. And given current trends on every Big Tech platform, do we expect more or or fewer restrictions over time? I honestly don't see how you can survive self-publishing without being on Amazon. They're at least 80% of the ebook market at this point, probably more when it comes to self-published stuff.
Huh. What I ruminated about the other day is in fact now happening, maybe has been for some time. And people looking for bright line explanations from Amazon about why their books were banned are gonna be waiting a long time. Authors get banned, their books get banned all the time and Amazon says diddley. Surprised these people didn't know.

Also, to clean up some definitional confusion: Light novels are considered anime? I thought they were basically manga with fewer pictures and more text. Or are we at a point where such distinctions have become kind of moot? 😕

Jubileus

Putting the Ra in Trap
kiwifarms.net
Okay, preface: this is getting far afield and we could probably do with some new threads to house the stuff like a publishing (trad & self) thread and a web serials thread.
Huh. What I ruminated about the other day is in fact now happening, maybe has been for some time. And people looking for bright line explanations from Amazon about why their books were banned are gonna be waiting a long time. Authors get banned, their books get banned all the time and Amazon says diddley. Surprised these people didn't know.

Also, to clean up some definitional confusion: Light novels are considered anime? I thought they were basically manga with fewer pictures and more text. Or are we at a point where such distinctions have become kind of moot? 😕
No, it is not happening, just as much as no, light novels are not anime, some people are just YouTube drama whores optimizing video titles for maximum clicks.

This happened because the publishers at Yen Press and J-novels didn't set an age rating on light novels that include images with "tee-hee steam-censored titties" fanservice (which frankly most LNs do at some point or another in a given series, it's a genre staple). Some bored dorks discovered that Amazon's automated takedown system recognizes enough in those images that you can report them and the bot will pull them. That's all. It's a perfect confluence, one that has only come about because either through laziness, ignorance, or "if we don't set an age rating we can sell more copies to kids" the publishers didn't do the work and now someone's having their shits and giggles.

After over a decade of the "Amazon's gonna cut the KDP royalties any minute now and your income is going to be nuked" recitations and the like I'm kind of done with people whining about evil shit Amazon may do. There's enough fucky shit going on in the space that it doesn't need people imagining things that aren't happening (my new favorite from the past year is watching scumbags ripping entire web serials, find/replace changing the character names and inserting enough typographical noise to make searching difficult and then publishing them, that one's delightful, but Support has been amazing in dealing with it if you catch it). This is just dumb bot shit on the level of how a lot of YouTube streamers are getting flagged and shut down mid-stream since there aren't enough human eyeballs on the system to deal with it right now. Once the humans sit down and deal with it properly it isn't a problem (although the publishers may have to suck it up and acknowledge that no, you cannot have glistening bath boobies and count for "all ages" for searches).

LetterlandMafia

Foreclose on me one more time
kiwifarms.net
r/books bitches about how stale YA is now. the books that are meant to be written for teenagers and are supposed to age out within 5 or 6 years.
Reminds me of the Mastodon situation. They/Thems screamed at the mods to ban everything that even slightly triggered them, and then ended up complaining about how sterile and dull the place was.

Also I imagine those reddit posters are at least five to ten years older than the target demographic for said books. To borrow one of their phrases: 'not everything is made for you'.

Second Missing Primarch

Guilliman/el'Jonson 2020: Vote or Die, Heretics
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
r/books bitches about how stale YA is now. the books that are meant to be written for teenagers and are supposed to age out within 5 or 6 years.
YA books, much like pop music, are a business, not an art. They churn that shit out based on what's popular and will make tons of money, hence why Harry Potter and Twilight each had about five million imitators of various stripes, and why everyone is currently cranking out books about gay black kids smashing the patriarchy. If you're complaining about creative sterility in a business based on wringing every last drop of lucre out of whatever's in fashion at the moment, you're a fucking idiot who needs to grow up and read something slightly more complex than The Sofia Dragynfyre Chronicles Book XIV: Troons is God.

Mola Ram

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Some of the YA/author cows I follow have been sperging non-stop about the new Taylor Swift album, and are apparently trying to write an anthology based on it that's approved by Taylor personally and her team ( 🌈 🌈 🌈 🌈 ). Of course, they only want disabled/POC/LGBTQIAAA+ etc. to participate:
These people have shit taste in absolutely everything.

AnOminous

Really?
True & Honest Fan
Retired Staff
kiwifarms.net
Some of the YA/author cows I follow have been sperging non-stop about the new Taylor Swift album, and are apparently trying to write an anthology based on it that's approved by Taylor personally and her team ( 🌈 🌈 🌈 🌈 ). Of course, they only want disabled/POC/LGBTQIAAA+ etc. to participate:
But isn't she a white devil?

Tags
None