Deaf Community - "No such thing as hearing loss, just Deaf gain!"

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

JY's Tampon

kiwifarms.net
I've been following what was happening with Chris as soon as he popped up again. Had to join to chime in on this. But JFC do DaddyGlassBaby have a god complexity going on. Not once is she not involved with any drama. Before Chris, she would attack anyone learning sign language. She even mocked them with a video and send her hive after them and cry if they do the same. You can easily see it in her pinned post. She was bullying Tik Toker like rosaliee_ospina, kaytlynasl. She deleted her videos. Who know how many more?
Now she is running 2 gofundme for a person who is not even Jane Jones. It's not hard to tell that it's about the green hair girl. She just increased the goal to 20,000 from 15,000 which is??? How much money do u need to pursue a case? I cannot see it being so expensive? They're now together so does she money for a place?? A scammer pulling a scam by calling out a scammer
Yeah, there was a video of daddyglassbaby saying Chris was attacking the the big GFM so give to her personal cashapps. Something going on.

BG FFFF00

kiwifarms.net
Yeah, there was a video of daddyglassbaby saying Chris was attacking the the big GFM so give to her personal cashapps. Something going on.

Donating $5 = attacking lol but tbh id feel attacked if I had to read that shitpost

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210507-232927_iPhone.jpg
    Screenshot_20210507-232927_iPhone.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 120

ScrapCrap32

kiwifarms.net
After months of starting petty drama with TikTok users, including leading their fans to harass and remove a user from her university program (and excluding the October Evans drama of course), Daddy Glass has finally been demonetized from TikTok. In retaliation, they question what wrong they have actually done and continue to make embarrassing shit like this under the impression that TikTok mods actually give a shit.

It's even funnier because Daddy Glass continues to perpetuate the idea that their main content is "educational", despite the majority of the videos being shitposts, calling "hearies" out, and fake stories about them being "stalked" (there's no footage of this alleged old man in any of the videos they posted despite all the opportunity to do so).

Agoraphobic Bullshit

The Canadian Eskimo
kiwifarms.net
Sorry to necro, but I've met d/Deaf people who think that everyone absolutely NEEDS to learn sign language in order to accommodate them.

Then I tell them about a (fairly mild) disability called aphantasia. Aphantasia is a disability where the sufferer has no visual imagination. This makes learning to sign nearly impossible. I've actually seen d/Deaf people say that aphantastic people should just get over their disability and learn anyway. They got all huffy when I told them they should just get over being deaf and learn to hear. Idk if it's a thing in the community to not be able to empathize, or if it's just the d/Deaf people I've encountered, but it seems like they're doing the SJW thing where they feel like they're the only people in the world with issues.

Marvin

Christorical Figure
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Sorry to necro, but I've met d/Deaf people who think that everyone absolutely NEEDS to learn sign language in order to accommodate them.

Then I tell them about a (fairly mild) disability called aphantasia. Aphantasia is a disability where the sufferer has no visual imagination. This makes learning to sign nearly impossible. I've actually seen d/Deaf people say that aphantastic people should just get over their disability and learn anyway. They got all huffy when I told them they should just get over being deaf and learn to hear. Idk if it's a thing in the community to not be able to empathize, or if it's just the d/Deaf people I've encountered, but it seems like they're doing the SJW thing where they feel like they're the only people in the world with issues.
Heh, are they the same type who deny that being deaf is a disability? That's common with that crowd.

If so, then they're merely a linguistic minority. In which case, they can get in the back of the line behind, at the very least, Spanish speakers.

Mary Lee Harvey Walsh

JFK's Love Quest Ender
kiwifarms.net
I actually wouldn't be opposed to teaching sign language in schools to hearing kids.

So, personal story time but I went to a meetup group (basically just "people in local area" thing) and there were a few of us there talking and such. Then a completely deaf guy shows up. Obviously none of us can sign, but the guy communicates using his phone (opening up a texting app and typing out the words). This was hella slow and awkward. The rest of us were talking at a mile a minute but feeling awkward for sort of excluding the deaf guy from our conversation. So we would awkwardly slowly type things on the phone and basically be having a completely different conversation with him - a very slow and superficial conversation ("What are your favorite foods?" "Oh, that's fun. I also like tacos.").

I don't know what a good solution to this would be. Part of me thinks that he should just stick with other deaf people, but that's kind of rude. There should be ways for deaf people to interact with the rest of society. Getting cochlear implants would be a great start, but the Deaf community seems to REEEE at this. I'm not saying implants are perfect because they obviously have a lot of flaws, but they're a start! The other solution would be teaching ASL in schools as a mandatory thing. Even then, though, can I remember most of the French I learned in high school? Not really. I retained some of it, but without using it, it's going to fade from memory.

Aunt Carol

four-letter word for a female
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So, personal story time but I went to a meetup group (basically just "people in local area" thing) and there were a few of us there talking and such. Then a completely deaf guy shows up. Obviously none of us can sign, but the guy communicates using his phone (opening up a texting app and typing out the words). This was hella slow and awkward. The rest of us were talking at a mile a minute but feeling awkward for sort of excluding the deaf guy from our conversation. So we would awkwardly slowly type things on the phone and basically be having a completely different conversation with him - a very slow and superficial conversation ("What are your favorite foods?" "Oh, that's fun. I also like tacos.").

I don't know what a good solution to this would be.
I've met deaf people who, in a pinch, would open up a speech-to-text app on their phones. I'd talk and it would appear on their screen. Speech-to-text is getting pretty good these days, so it worked well.

One guy was a grunter, though. He wasn't developmentally delayed or anything; it was probably a long habit and he'd been told too late that it made sound. So the screen had my words interspersed with transcribed grunting.

I wonder if he thought that was just a thing his phone did.

keyboredsm4shthe2nd

Youscatgetouttahereg-go-gogetthestick-getouttahere
kiwifarms.net
I actually wouldn't be opposed to teaching sign language in schools to hearing kids.

I don't know what a good solution to this would be. Part of me thinks that he should just stick with other deaf people, but that's kind of rude. There should be ways for deaf people to interact with the rest of society. Getting cochlear implants would be a great start, but the Deaf community seems to REEEE at this. I'm not saying implants are perfect because they obviously have a lot of flaws, but they're a start! The other solution would be teaching ASL in schools as a mandatory thing. Even then, though, can I remember most of the French I learned in high school? Not really. I retained some of it, but without using it, it's going to fade from memory.
Jesus I think a pencil and paper would be faster.
In regards to you losing literacy in french, you know most ESL speakers start learning as little kids and that's why most are so fluent? Start teaching ASL in elementary school and they'll remember.

Mary Lee Harvey Walsh

JFK's Love Quest Ender
kiwifarms.net
In regards to you losing literacy in french, you know most ESL speakers start learning as little kids and that's why most are so fluent? Start teaching ASL in elementary school and they'll remember.
Oh yeah, I'm well aware of that. However, if you don't use a language, you are going to eventually lose it. Maybe not completely, but at least partially.

Fialovy

isekai'd to CWCville
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
So do blind people have any of this weird shit going on?
Nah, most blind people are pretty chill from the ones I interacted with, I think the reason why deaf people are different is because they have their own languages and stuff. Blind people can still interact and speak with sighted people just fine.

cuddle striker

met our dead severely deformed baby in jail
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Yeah, especially since there is screen readers and audio formats and stuff. Infact, I remember seeing a statistic where the majority of blind people, especially the younger ones, don't know how to read braille
they don't really need it, audio is more useful especially with the new technologies. blind people do push for better access (things like the sounds on crosswalks, or elevators saying the floor number they're at, etc) but they don't seem to eat their own.

ASL and standard English should be taught concurrently to all kids, you can see how incapable people are when they're unable to communicate with anyone around them.

that great-grandma video from the OP is really bad, it's still fucking with my mind.