Dragon Ball Thread - Includes Z and Super (and GT if you really want to talk about that); also includes Abridged

Atomsk

Pirate King
kiwifarms.net
It’s because it’s being animated and everything by one person.
Surprised the dude who makes this doesn't have a thread because of his constant twitter sperging, he moved on from doing Attack On Titan Abridged and started this shitty thing because he thinks AoT is nazi propaganda now. He also constantly whines about fanservice in shows targeted at young men.

Xenomorphs Are Cute

kiwifarms.net
Surprised the dude who makes this doesn't have a thread because of his constant twitter sperging, he moved on from doing Attack On Titan Abridged and started this shitty thing because he thinks AoT is nazi propaganda now. He also constantly whines about fanservice in shows targeted at young men.
You mean this one?:

Atomsk

Pirate King
kiwifarms.net
  • Informative
Reactions: Draza

Bunny Tracks

Nothing equals the splendor
kiwifarms.net
I mean, it's definitely not Nazi propaganda, but the series does have some really bizarre, and poorly executed Nazi inspired characters, countries, and implications now.

Kari Kamiya

"I beat her up, so I gave her a cuck-cup."
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Haven't seen Super for a year, so figured I'd finish it this year to get it out of the way. Just my timing luck the episode I left off on had the infamous "Hold your fire, this man isn't Black!" What a way to welcome me back lol. I still think the episodes are a fun, quick watch (I'm missing the slice-of-life episodes, though), but yeah, I'm not going to lie that it's kinda awkward to hear this dub (with Fifth Bulma being the worst of the bunch). Partly because of the weeb wars shit, and partly because of the revelation the dub (among others) is really rough because of laziness and sounding a bit soulless since it took them, what, two-and-a-half years to actually start the dub for it and Attack on Titan and My Hero Academia among other simueldubs was taking up their time. You'd think that with Dragon Ball being their golden goose that they'd handle it better.

Also, Super Saiyan Rosé? Gay.

Polyboros2

Is dumb and lost Polyboros password
kiwifarms.net
It's apparently the highest level of Super Saiyan. Pretty stupid, but this is Dragon Ball.
I thought the pink color was explained as Zamasu having a different form of Ki than mortals, even though Goku and Vegeta are suppose to have God ki, I guess Kai ki is also different. Rose and Blue are equivalent iirc.

I dunno, I didn't really start watching Super until tournament of power, just following the plot synopsis.

MightyBiteySnake

DEPRESSED SNAKE DEPRESSED SNAKE
kiwifarms.net
Super Saiyan 3 was the coolest transformation and no one can change my mind.
I thought the pink color was explained as Zamasu having a different form of Ki than mortals, even though Goku and Vegeta are suppose to have God ki, I guess Kai ki is also different. Rose and Blue are equivalent iirc.
iirc Rosé was different than SSJB because ki is apart of the soul and Zamasu's godly soul was inside Goku's mortal body. Basically SSJB and SSJG look the way they do because it's the result of mortal souls channeling their mortal energy into god ki while Zamasu has natural godly ki to enhance his Super Saiyan form. I'd something like that.

I think it's overall a shame with what they did with the Zamasu arc, since overall it tells a really compelling story (even if I think bringing back Future Trunks is a little contrived). I think ultimately the shoddy animation and the fallback on a terrible ending killed it for me tho. Hit and Zamasu made excellent antagonists with great powers. Shame the arc they stuffed all the money, animation and writing into got Jiren.

Polyboros2

Is dumb and lost Polyboros password
kiwifarms.net
Super Saiyan 3 was the coolest transformation and no one can change my mind.

iirc Rosé was different than SSJB because ki is apart of the soul and Zamasu's godly soul was inside Goku's mortal body. Basically SSJB and SSJG look the way they do because it's the result of mortal souls channeling their mortal energy into god ki while Zamasu has natural godly ki to enhance his Super Saiyan form. I'd something like that.

I think it's overall a shame with what they did with the Zamasu arc, since overall it tells a really compelling story (even if I think bringing back Future Trunks is a little contrived). I think ultimately the shoddy animation and the fallback on a terrible ending killed it for me tho. Hit and Zamasu made excellent antagonists with great powers. Shame the arc they stuffed all the money, animation and writing into got Jiren.
Future Trunks is the only Saiyan I like, and I enjoyed seeing him handle Buu situation competently and his "kill" on Zamasu is amazing... until they shit on it.

• Agree
Reactions: Pokemonquistador2

Clipper

kiwifarms.net

I dunno, I didn't really start watching Super until tournament of power, just following the plot synopsis.
Actually, that's an interesting point. Because only the Dragon Ball Super manga bothered to explain what Super Saiyan Rose was, the anime never revealed how the form worked. Normally this would mean that the forms are identical, but the manga and anime both diverge heavily, as they only follow a vague plot synopsis from Toriyama.

Fougaro

Glow in the dark K/DA Popstar
kiwifarms.net
It's apparently the highest level of Super Saiyan. Pretty stupid, but this is Dragon Ball.
The original Super Saiyan transformation from the end of the Frieza Saga should have been both the beginning and the end of this nonsense. The gorillions of Super Saiyan transformations were ultimately the cancer that killed Dragon Ball.

wtfNeedSignUp

kiwifarms.net
The original Super Saiyan transformation from the end of the Frieza Saga should have been both the beginning and the end of this nonsense. The gorillions of Super Saiyan transformations were ultimately the cancer that killed Dragon Ball.
Nah, that's power levels. Nothing kills the story more than having villains that the heroes can't touch because the heros didn't grind enough levels.

capitalBBustard

Who is this man?
kiwifarms.net
Nah, that's power levels. Nothing kills the story more than having villains that the heroes can't touch because the heros didn't grind enough levels.
DB operated on that logic since day one. It was just given a name and arbitrary numbers with the scouters. DB has very basic logic, villain is strong, previous villain/characters/hero's first fight are used to show this off, hero is weaker, has to find new (extreme) (training) method to become stronger than main villain. Training got introduced with the first tournament arc, the fight-rematch shit was used with Tao first when Goku lost then trained with Korin for 3 days and steamrolled Tao, and the one off powerup equalizer shit was done first with the magic water during King Piccolo.

There was never anything to be ruined by that. That's how it always worked, just without any description. The only other variation is that both the hero and the villain/rival are equivalent from the outset and so the fight results in a flukey technical victory for 1 side. See Roshi vs Goku or Tien vs Goku 1. DB fights at no point were about wit, or synergies/counter abilities, tactics, technique. It always boiled down melee/blasts, whoever is stronger wins.

I disagree. Power levels was Toriyama being an idiot. The Super Saiyan transformations was him giving up.
All 3 of the initial transformations served purpose and tied into the bigger character/story arcs. The first one is a surpsise in and of itself, but it's also used to invert Goku's character during the fight, denoted by his hair literally inverting it's color palette in the black and white manga. Basic visual metaphore. He becomes cruel, vengeful, torments and humiliates Frieza. Manages to turn back into his normal self when Frieza is begging for his life. Neat character work, for Goku.

Second transformation is the focus of an entire arc this time. Results in, Goku forcing his own kid into his role, it backfiring because he misunderstood him, since he's pretty clueless about reading people. Plays into Goku's flaws and Gohan's character, who's fairly peaceful compared to his dad and friends, and is scared of Cell and his own power/anger. Also plays off the first transformation. Like Goku against Frieza, Gohan loses himself and becomes cruel. This time this backfires. Goku decides to sacrifice himself, which is basically him apologizing to Gohan.

The third one is once again a surprise, but unlike the first one, it comes unceremoniously. But it plays into the overall point of the Buu arc, which is subversion. It's a new tranformation, but it isn't the goal you build towards, nor is it the solution to the problem at the end. Giving way to other concepts to take stage instead, fusion and Gohan's ritual. Straight powerups that also fail in the end, like SSJ3. Showing that this time, that's not gonna cut it. Instead a move with a 100% failure rate, the spirit bomb is the thing that saves the day.

It's some of Toriyama's best work in the series. No shit, he probably put the most amount of thought into these parts, mainly the first 2, since a lot of it is core character/story work at the arcs peaks. Actually building off of Goku's personality and flaws. If you think that was him giving up/not giving a shit A, look at Battle of Gods and onwards, B, you are exceptional.

Both your takes are right out of the bingo chart. Of shit takes that got calcified due to shit tier fandom, aka stuff like TFS. All you need is 'fuck Broly', 'DB got ruined by Z', 'muh characters were great in DB' and you'd have a bingo. Oh, yeah also 'Goku dumb bad dad'.

Fougaro

Glow in the dark K/DA Popstar
kiwifarms.net
All 3 of the initial transformations served purpose and tied into the bigger character/story arcs. The first one is a surpsise in and of itself, but it's also used to invert Goku's character during the fight, denoted by his hair literally inverting it's color palette in the black and white manga. Basic visual metaphore. He becomes cruel, vengeful, torments and humiliates Frieza. Manages to turn back into his normal self when Frieza is begging for his life. Neat character work, for Goku.

Second transformation is the focus of an entire arc this time. Results in, Goku forcing his own kid into his role, it backfiring because he misunderstood him, since he's pretty clueless about reading people. Plays into Goku's flaws and Gohan's character, who's fairly peaceful compared to his dad and friends, and is scared of Cell and his own power/anger. Also plays off the first transformation. Like Goku against Frieza, Gohan loses himself and becomes cruel. This time this backfires. Goku decides to sacrifice himself, which is basically him apologizing to Gohan.

The third one is once again a surprise, but unlike the first one, it comes unceremoniously. But it plays into the overall point of the Buu arc, which is subversion. It's a new tranformation, but it isn't the goal you build towards, nor is it the solution to the problem at the end. Giving way to other concepts to take stage instead, fusion and Gohan's ritual. Straight powerups that also fail in the end, like SSJ3. Showing that this time, that's not gonna cut it. Instead a move with a 100% failure rate, the spirit bomb is the thing that saves the day.
I disagree. I get Goku's transformation at the end of the Frieza saga and I have no major problems with that, in spite of the precedence it set. I am however still unconvinced that the interactions between Goku and Gohan, their character development, the "lessons" for Gohan to learn and the theme of Goku trying to pass the torch to Gohan could have not been achieved without SSJ2, let alone introducing the tumor that is the "Super Saiyan bargain sale", to quote Vegeta.

As for the Buu saga, I'm sure you could have achieved a good subversion plot without introducing yet another SSJ form. Then again, at this point Dragon Ball was already past the Alien: Resurrection stage, so whatever.
Of shit takes that got calcified due to shit tier fandom (...)
Well the fandom is one of the things Dragon Ball has in common with Star Wars. I will agree that Team Four Star didn't do it any favours in the long run.

Last edited:

Tism the Return

True and tried ratsthetic
kiwifarms.net
I disagree. I get Goku's transformation at the end of the Frieza saga and I have no major problems with that, in spite of the precedence it set. I am however still unconvinced that the interactions between Goku and Gohan, their character development, the "lessons" for Gohan to learn and the theme of Goku trying to pass the torch to Gohan could have not been achieved without SSJ2, let alone introducing the tumor that is the "Super Saiyan bargain sale", to quote Vegeta.

As for the Buu saga, I'm sure you could have achieved a good subversion plot without introducing yet another SSJ form. Then again, at this point Dragon Ball was already past the Alien: Resurrection stage, so whatever.

Well the fandom is one of the things Dragon Ball has in common with Star Wars. I will agree that Team Four Star didn't do it any favours in the long run.
The only thing TFS did was replace some of what little (admittedly, autistic by itself) discussion was with a bunch of drones repeating autistic jokes that get really boring, really fast and terrible takes on characters.