Dragon Ball Thread - Includes Z and Super (and GT if you really want to talk about that); also includes Abridged

Bunny Tracks

Nothing equals the splendor
kiwifarms.net
Quick off topic question: Is bleach any good? I heard some things here and there about it and I'm wondering if I should give it a look.
I mean, compared to manga nowadays, Bleach is actually surprisingly refreshing. It's not edgy, angsty, or any bullshit like that. The villains are cool, the powers are cool, the music is good, etc. Just make sure to skip all the filler in the anime. Oh and try to ignore the fact that Aizen's actual plan was never revealed or explained because the anime ended before the manga did.

Reactions: Cyril Sneer

Pokemonquistador2

Electric Boogaloo
kiwifarms.net
I mean, compared to manga nowadays, Bleach is actually surprisingly refreshing. It's not edgy, angsty, or any bullshit like that. The villains are cool, the powers are cool, the music is good, etc. Just make sure to skip all the filler in the anime. Oh and try to ignore the fact that Aizen's actual plan was never revealed or explained because the anime ended before the manga did.
I tapped out on the anime when the heroes were invading the Arrancar "homeland" or whatever it was. It seemed like such a retread of the first rescue arc and oh boy! 170,000 new characters to keep track of. At least Legend of the Galactic Heroes tries to make its 170,000 characters seem interesting and at the end of the day, you feel you've learned something about history.

Bleach did have a good premise and the hero seemed a little rough around the edges, not some generic goody two shoes... There was waaaaaay too much filler though, and the Bount Arc ended with the wettest of farts.

Reactions: Cyril Sneer

Tism the Return

True and tried ratsthetic
kiwifarms.net
Quick off topic question: Is bleach any good? I heard some things here and there about it and I'm wondering if I should give it a look.
Bleach is one of those shounen manga that start okay and then quickly becomes fucking terrible with no redeeming qualities. The pacing is beyond glacial and it just drags on, the art is as lazy as it can be without resorting to Togashi scribbles, retcons up the ass, nonsensical everything, incredibly boring and repetitive fight scenes for an action manga (once Kubo starts doing *teleports behind u*, blank face reaction shits into drawing vertical explosions it never fucking stops), etc.

The anime had a nice soundtrack and that's about all the good things you can say about it. I also firmly believe that if the anime hadn't come out in the US when it did Bleach wouldn't have as much of a rabid following today.

deeman

Seinor Geinus.
kiwifarms.net
Anyone know if they are going to "Kai" the Buu saga? Wish they did the same to DB but alas...

_01

01101001 01000001 01101101 00110000 00110001
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Anyone know if they are going to "Kai" the Buu saga? Wish they did the same to DB but alas...
They did. It's called "The Final Chapters," I believe. They also got a new composer whose music I personally feel fits the tone better than Saiyan and Freiza saga Kai, which had a ton of electro (and stolen) music, and Cell saga Kai which reused the original Dragonball's silly sounding and dated music interspersed with deafening silence.

In terms of the original Dragon Ball, the point of Kai was to cut down on the blatant and shameless filler the original airing of Z had. It'd almost be a fun game with predicting which scenes are filler in Z by just looking at scenes that has nothing to do with anything, like characters restating what just happened or them wasting minutes only to get back where they started. I say it "would" be fun if not for the fact that entire episodes exist which infamously consist exclusively of filler with zero respect towards the audience's time.

But the original Dragon Ball doesn't have too much filler, and the filler that's there adds to the show, like scenes of Pilaf before he's properly introduced to better establish his character. While there are a few filler scenes in Dragon Ball, like a couple scenes of pointless wandering through mazes which seemed like their go-to for padding episodes, there isn't enough filler in Dragon Ball to warrant a recut the scale of Kai, which had cut around 300 episodes down to just above 100 or so.

Last edited:

Niggernerd

Summer festival fumika
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Just make sure to skip all the filler in the anime.
But that's just skipping the entire series.
Thats what grinds my gears with that anime, nothing can redeem it. Good to know it got out of that linkin park amv atmosphere but it doesn't excuse them having to explain every attack in detail before doing it or during said attack and they needed fillers because they ran out of genuine ideas for the longest time.
Idk for me bleach was always for the weebs who are fat and smell like corn chips and dog food.

Back to DB
I stopped after Buu saga which is my favorite. Kid Buu was just the best villain in my opinion. No plan just destroy everything in sight which i think caused more problems than say Frieza or Cell. Unlike those two The Z fighters couldn't possibly ruin any plan of Buus because there was none to begin with. Granted i saw a bit of the new series and appreciated Frieza more whilst back then i found them insufferable.

Reactions: melty

Jasonfan89

Ki ki ki ma ma ma
kiwifarms.net
So just a quick imo and one that may get me flayed on a thread like this but... I think I get what gt was trying to do at the very beginning, what with bringing back an aging Empouer pilaf and his goons and turning goku back into a kid. It was trying to be a remake of the first dragon ball but at the same time a continuation. And it failed to be either because they didn't know which one they wanted to be but didn't even follow it up afterwards.

I mean is pilaf even in any episodes past his initial appearance in the first episode?

capitalBBustard

Who is this man?
kiwifarms.net
They did. It's called "The Final Chapters," I believe. They also got a new composer whose music I personally feel fits the tone better than Saiyan and Freiza saga Kai, which had a ton of electro (and stolen) music, and Cell saga Kai which reused the original Dragonball's silly sounding and dated music interspersed with deafening silence.

In terms of the original Dragon Ball, the point of Kai was to cut down on the blatant and shameless filler the original airing of Z had. It'd almost be a fun game with predicting which scenes are filler in Z by just looking at scenes that has nothing to do with anything, like characters restating what just happened or them wasting minutes only to get back where they started. I say it "would" be fun if not for the fact that entire episodes exist which infamously consist exclusively of filler with zero respect towards the audience's time.

But the original Dragon Ball doesn't have too much filler, and the filler that's there adds to the show, like scenes of Pilaf before he's properly introduced to better establish his character. While there are a few filler scenes in Dragon Ball, like a couple scenes of pointless wandering through mazes which seemed like their go-to for padding episodes, there isn't enough filler in Dragon Ball to warrant a recut the scale of Kai, which had cut around 300 episodes down to just above 100 or so.
You remember incorrectly. The DB anime is almost as bad as Z with the amount of godawful filler. Somebody made a reedit of it as close to the manga as possible and they cut out about 20 hours of pure filler. Of a show that is 50 some hours total. And there's still filler that couldn't be cut because it's integrated into the plot, like Goku and Yajirobe meeting a magic swamp statue for the divine water.

Are we still in agreement that Dragon Ball Z manga is better than the anime?
I tried watching Dragon Ball Super, but it felt like I was watching a Japanese sitcom mixed with action.

Also the original Dragon Ball is much better than the DBZ anime, which is obviously better than DBGT, which is 10x better than DBSuper. I always felt the series, just like Naruto, went on for a little too long.

Now I see the same DBZ fans of old trying to mesh with One Piece fans of today.

Yet there’s still no love for Bleach
One of the most noteworthy things about the DB manga is how brisk it is, and the animes pre-Kai completely shit all over that. DB&Z both are kind of unwatchable, especially for modern day netlfix style binge watching. The pacing and filler is horrible.

So just a quick imo and one that may get me flayed on a thread like this but... I think I get what gt was trying to do at the very beginning, what with bringing back an aging Empouer pilaf and his goons and turning goku back into a kid. It was trying to be a remake of the first dragon ball but at the same time a continuation. And it failed to be either because they didn't know which one they wanted to be but didn't even follow it up afterwards.

I mean is pilaf even in any episodes past his initial appearance in the first episode?
Which was always a stupid idea, since nobody actually gives a shit about the first arc of DB, arcs that focus on collecting the dragonballs by themselves or Goku as a kid/abhorrent ingrate after he became a lot cooler and less exceptional as an adult. Toriyama found that out while he was still making Red Ribbon, people liked the tournament arc far more than anything else, hence why he did 2 more of them. People liked King Piccolo even more so he did it twice more with Vegeta and Frieza. GT 'going back to the roots' was them going back to the point when DB wasn't popular while negating all the progress the series' characters had made by resetting Goku into his exceptional initial incarnation, leading to people tuning out it in droves.

Last edited:

LordofCringe7206

kiwifarms.net

Pilaf and his gang did not appear after the first episode. Technically they did, but it was just a small one second cameo in the final episode of the Baby saga.

About your main point, you aren't completely off. From what I understand, the opening saga of GT was designed in an attempt to capture the spirit of the original opening saga to DB. Have Goku be a kid, going on a quest with his friends to find the Dragon Balls while encountering all sorts of villains on their adventure.

It was the wrong foot to start the new series off on, and it set the tone for everything else that went wrong in the series.

Somnius

Sweet C
kiwifarms.net

Like many, I'm of the opinion that GT had a lot of good/interesting/creative ideas that were executed in the worst way possible.