Dragon Ball Thread - Includes Z and Super (and GT if you really want to talk about that); also includes Abridged

• Registration closed, comedy forum, Internet drama, Sneed, etc.

MarvinTheParanoidAndroid

This will all end in tears, I just know it.
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The Faulconer OST is the only reason the show was hot to me. People debate it all the time I couldn't get into Super at all and I think the generic soundtrack was the main reason why.

Seriously, even when translated to the damn GBA it still sounds great.
The Perfect Cell theme kicks like a shotgun.
But that's not to say that the original Japanese OST for DB/DBZ isn't good, here's another classic.

One goes for edgy & intense & the other goes for grandiose, both are effective for different reasons. They both compliment the source material since on the one hand it's about MMA fighters with super powers goring each other with karate chops & on the other it's a modern take on Journey of the West with a lot of mystical shit going on.

I think Faulconer's music is really only strong when it's hard hitting, when he tries for other moods, his music actually becomes worse than nothing at all. Ironically, Faulconer's music is at its best when it's at its heaviest handed & for that reason doesn't suit lighter moments & when he scored for those moments, it sounds meandering & confused.

The Perfect Cell, Garlic Jr. & Super Buu themes are fantastic representations for their respective characters. Frieza's compendium is excellent for this reason, it's heavy, unrelenting & oppressive.

Last edited:

Cheerlead-in-Chief

"Everyone Hates Mondays" -Ermes Costello
kiwifarms.net
average where? baby clit village?
Ehh?! I'm a lady and don't wanna derail the thread by doxxing, thank you very much.
I'll attempt to view "DragonBall Super" in the meantime to earn @Aquinas' respect lol (I await puzzle pieces).

When was Cell announced? I agree with other Kiwis Akira could've brought back older less popular characters, like his robot mascot for instance...but whatever.

Travoltron

kiwifarms.net
Ehh?! I'm a lady and don't wanna derail the thread by doxxing, thank you very much.
I'll attempt to view "DragonBall Super" in the meantime to earn @Aquinas' respect lol (I await puzzle pieces).

When was Cell announced? I agree with other Kiwis Akira could've brought back older less popular characters, like his robot mascot for instance...but whatever

Cell hasn't been announced, it's just speculation at this point.
The annoying thing about Super is the first couple arcs are just poor remakes of the Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F movies. You should just watch those movies and skip to the original material in Super. Somebody could probably tell you when that is. I'm to lazy to look it up.

Aquinas

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

When was Cell announced? I agree with other Kiwis Akira could've brought back older less popular characters, like his robot mascot for instance...but whatever.
im going to super crush your fucking neck between my broly-esque ass cheeks, doll

Tism the Return

( ^ U ^ )
kiwifarms.net
The annoying thing about Super is the first couple arcs are just poor remakes of the Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F movies. You should just watch those movies and skip to the original material in Super. Somebody could probably tell you when that is. I'm to lazy to look it up.

Super stops adapting the movies and being garbage at it at episode 28. That particular arc isn't very good but it has some highlights. I only stuck with it because I'm genetically forced to watch anything with DB at this point. Send help.

Now that I think about it that's DBS in a nutshell.

Cheerlead-in-Chief

"Everyone Hates Mondays" -Ermes Costello
kiwifarms.net
im going to super crush your fucking neck between my broly-esque ass cheeks, doll
I am simultaneously horrified/tempted to ship us WTF?!
I've watched both as well.

Resident Evil

I haven’t lost my virginity because I don’t lose!
kiwifarms.net
The Perfect Cell theme kicks like a shotgun.
I’m gonna sperg about this theme and this character, because I think it’s absolutely fucking amazing and is easily Falconer’s best work for DBZ. It has this slow and tense build up in the first 19-20 seconds followed by the whining of the synthetics mixed with the drum beats and guitar is still one of the coldest villain themes ever. The way Cell has been consistently charbroiled in terms of character is that he loves games, fun chemistry between others, challenges, and spectacle above all else. He got it from Frieza and Vegeta, and got the lust for a good fight from Goku.

While most villains fail to reach their goal, he meets his very quickly, and then afterwords is bored. He’s not here to conquer a planet. He’s not here to destroy a world exactly. He’s not even here to exact some plan to erase mortal kind.

He just wanted the smoke. He wanted to have fun in the most sadistic way imaginable, because he wanted to just. Try something new. If the Z fighters weren’t on earth, he would have blown up the planet ON A WHIM, and moved on, and that’s really cool to me. He has is own wants and needs, and if he doesn’t have any, he finds one, he makes arbitrary shit like the Cell Games for that reason. He’s a proactive nearly unstoppable force.

I think that this is a little bit of a stretch for some people, but I think Cell invokes such a cosmic horror aspect that people don’t tend to touch on and I find that really weird. He’s a bipedal monster vaguely human, only built and born by splicing the strongest beings in the universe from scratch, incubating and awakening in a world long dead, traveling back into time to hunt down and absorb the final pieces to make him whole, and reign over all of existence. He’s the absolute worse of everyone you ever knew, because he quite literally is everyone you ever did and didn’t. And he’s the only evidence anything ever lived at all, and that’s horrible.

There’s not really a reason besides his initial programming that started this thought process. Cell just. Is. He does things to do things, he has nothing to care for besides his own wants and needs. He invokes with terrible awful feeling, especially early on, that your existence before him is meaningless and your only use in this world is sustenance. And then later, he invokes hopelessness with his power. He appeared from nothing, revived from near nothing, and the only thing that beat him was the last hope and optimism of the world that was Gohan, and they weren’t even sure if it’d work. If 16 wasn’t there, they’d have all died. It’s by sheer chance they lived that day against him.

He invokes a more small scale version in my personal opinion of what Galactus and Unicron from Marvel and Transformers respectively do really well too. I think that making him more human looking was a mistake, but it’s iconic.

Maybe I’m reading too deep into cell. After all, the way he evolved is more of an effect of editor meddling then any long term planning, but I just find it intriguing and why Cell I find much more interesting then most other villains in the series.

albert the programmer

In Memoriam Of Vangelis (1943-2022)
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Turns out Akira Toriyama is releasing a collection of short stories called Manga Theater later this year.

96E49499-DC25-4463-B112-DEC0E390A4D9.jpeg

Between watching and reading Dr. Slump as well as the original Dragon Ball series, this one looks pretty funny. I might check it out and see what’s good about it.

Jimmy Hopkins

Kang of Bullworth
kiwifarms.net
Turns out Akira Toriyama is releasing a collection of short stories called Manga Theater later this year.

View attachment 2561479

Between watching and reading Dr. Slump as well as the original Dragon Ball series, this one looks pretty funny. I might check it out and see what’s good about it.
I’m excited for this! I’m. a much bigger fan of Toriyamas early stuff like OG DB and Dr Slump.

Love this song so much.