• >2 years

Votes: 302 21.9%

• Total voters

CIA Nigger

"IT'S NOT A FETISH MOM"
Supervisor
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
I never asked this because it's pretty late to ask something like it but are there are theories on why he performed so bad in that event? He did well enough to be in the finals and stress never factored in for him when doing top-tier speedrun streams.

I mean he lost so-fucking-bad. How come? Did he have a drug habit back then and maybe a flashback kicked in right then?
Besides the stress and drug use, something else that could factor into this is the fact that speedrunning is about memorization and familiarity with a game. Case in point, this video where somebody donated money to "casual streamers" for them to pull off speedrunning tricks. This video's noteworthy because it pretty much proves that speedrunning is about memorizing and practicing tricks to play through a game faster.

Cosmo was being made to play an unfamiliar game with an unfamiliar level (one made just for the tournament). He couldn't memorize the level beforehand so he had to have some knowledge of the game mechanics. Thing is, I googled and the only time Cosmo speedran a Mario platformer I could find at least was Mario 64. If he had known some more Mario mechanics (especially with NSMB) he might have done better.

Luigi

kiwifarms.net
Besides the stress and drug use, something else that could factor into this is the fact that speedrunning is about memorization and familiarity with a game. Case in point, this video where somebody donated money to "casual streamers" for them to pull off speedrunning tricks. This video's noteworthy because it pretty much proves that speedrunning is about memorizing and practicing tricks to play through a game faster.

Cosmo was being made to play an unfamiliar game with an unfamiliar level (one made just for the tournament). He couldn't memorize the level beforehand so he had to have some knowledge of the game mechanics. Thing is, I googled and the only time Cosmo speedran a Mario platformer I could find at least was Mario 64. If he had known some more Mario mechanics (especially with NSMB) he might have done better.
But it's a game for kids, how hard could it be to learn how to walljump?
?
I've watched that video a few times and I still can't believe it. But then again I played Megaman X as a kid and if you can't walljump you don't leave the first level.

Wake me up

CωC Club founder
kiwifarms.net
The walljumping trick seems to make the most sense because it explains why he took half a dozen hours to get past the first screen - and from there thhe nerves (shame most likely) probably kicked in and it was all over. What doesn't make any sense (besides "autism") is why Cosmo wouldn't learn all basic tricks of the game he was supposed to be playing live competitively...

• Dumb
Reactions: Visitor

RJ MacReady

cheating bitch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
The walljumping trick seems to make the most sense because it explains why he took half a dozen hours to get past the first screen - and from there thhe nerves (shame most likely) probably kicked in and it was all over. What doesn't make any sense (besides "autism") is why Cosmo wouldn't learn all basic tricks of the game he was supposed to be playing live competitively...
IIRC the games were a surprise, and the Mario segment was run in Super Mario Maker which wasn't released at the time.

Wake me up

CωC Club founder
kiwifarms.net
IIRC the games were a surprise, and the Mario segment was run in Super Mario Maker which wasn't released at the time.
Regardless, the fact Numbers did OK while Cosmo struggled very hard to the point of it being really embarrassing to watch goes to show there was a major oversight somewhere in his training/preparation. Also someone commented on one of the replies that it was "surprise levels" but that is a frequent competition style for speedrunning events, especially for Mario games, so I think it's more due to Cosmo's big blindspots in terms of skill than him not knowing something like this might come up.

RJ MacReady

cheating bitch
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Regardless, the fact Numbers did OK while Cosmo struggled very hard to the point of it being really embarrassing to watch goes to show there was a major oversight somewhere in his training/preparation. Also someone commented on one of the replies that it was "surprise levels" but that is a frequent competition style for speedrunning events, especially for Mario games, so I think it's more due to Cosmo's big blindspots in terms of skill than him not knowing something like this might come up.
He sucked at the game and his nerves got to him. There's nothing more to it than that. I think people just had the impression that any of the contestants would be natural gods because they're general Nintendo fans (the implied idea behind the NWC) and Cosmo in particular because he had a special reputation for being "skilled" and assumed somewhere, somehow, it would transfer to that kind of Mario gameplay.

I think doubt it was more of an epiphany to the viewers watching than it was to Cosmo. He obviously knew what was happening and that made it worse.

AbyssStarer

kiwifarms.net
In his defense Cosmo only played Mario 64 to display that just watching a speedrunner all the time doesn't give you the skill.
However; it's pretty damn obvious what to do in Mario (64 even has walljumping iirc,) AND he should have had the brains to figure out how Mario plays when he was invited to the event. In some interview or another, the girl speedrunner that was there, bananas, said she bought Splatoon and played Zelda 1 in anticipation of the event. Cosmo probably thought he'd be fine and win the whole thing because he was the god gaymur who killed OoT any%.

break these cuffs

HUMBLE AND EAGER TO LEARN
kiwifarms.net
In his defense Cosmo only played Mario 64 to display that just watching a speedrunner all the time doesn't give you the skill.
Well then that's more of his narc tendencies showing because the video @CIA Nigger posted showed regular Joes learning frame perfect tricks in a couple hours on the promise of a few shekels. Granted this isn't the full blown autism of speedrunning a game for hundreds of hours to get a record or anything, but free climbing El Cap it is not.

AbyssStarer

kiwifarms.net
Well then that's more of his narc tendencies showing because the video @CIA Nigger posted showed regular Joes learning frame perfect tricks in a couple hours on the promise of a few shekels. Granted this isn't the full blown autism of speedrunning a game for hundreds of hours to get a record or anything, but free climbing El Cap it is not.
Cosmo didnt practice any of the tricks, he just went in and played the game through. Practicing for hours is how everybody learns to speedrun.

Ron Jeremy

kiwifarms.net
That's not true, he plays Splatoon 2.
Only to keep him occupied until Smash came out and because Splatoon offered the option to mindlessly grind for hours on end. The moment Smash came out he dropped Splatoon like a hot potatoe and even quickly removed the channel on his discord, though just for a few days.

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino