Infected #Comicsgate - The Culture Wars Hit The Funny Books!

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
The Brand campaign is officially over, time to see how Antonio did for his second book
BRAND_ WAY OF THE GUN - Indiegogo - www.indiegogo.com.png

Big oofs. This a far cry from what they got on the first campaign. A drop of 83% in funding and 90% of their backers(granted that was over a year). If we want be generous with the time frame, it was roughly 71% and 83% respectively, so still not good. This is why you don't launch your sequel before people even get their hands on the first book. I also want to hear more about he was considering giving out the first book for free, digitally when people still don't have the damn thing. That's pure exceptionalism.

Brand by Antonio Brice and Caanan White - Indiegogo - www.indiegogo.com.png

There's a lot that's probably right in there. However, the normie thing is North American normie. There's a huge potential audience of people who already regularly read illustrated, serialized fiction. The industry is dying by all accounts, so why not reverse the usual direction of the localization process and see if any of the eastern audience bites? You certainly cut out a lot of printing and distribution costs if that works
I keep banging on this, but they need to stop shackling themselves to small comic shops and expand out to where the people are. Dog Man has sold like 26 million copies since it started in 2016, people who want to read comics are out there, they just aren't hitting the LCS'. They could try something similar to Shonen Jump and put out books that give a nice sampling of their library to the Barnes and Nobles of the world, but I'm not sure how viable that is for American comics. They also need to find a way to capitalize off all their movies and tv shows. Almost none of the fans of those will ever touch a comic, but I'd be hard pressed to find someone who watched an One Piece movie or the anime, but never read the manga. As for hitting the Eastern audience, they could test the waters with heroes like Spider-man or Supergirl, who I hear is surprisingly popular in Japan and then slowing add other characters and see what sticks. Although with the MCU being a huge success, Marvel could probably push this idea much faster than the others.

Also they need better artists, Japan wasn't happy when this was the cover
DKymzgXV4AEZeAs.jpg

but they got this bullshit on the inside
DKymzgYUIAAaSOd.jpg

instythot

kiwifarms.net
The Brand campaign is officially over, time to see how Antonio did for his second bookView attachment 1203792
Big oofs. This a far cry from what they got on the first campaign. A drop of 83% in funding and 90% of their backers(granted that was over a year). If we want be generous with the time frame, it was roughly 71% and 83% respectively, so still not good. This is why you don't launch your sequel before people even get their hands on the first book. I also want to hear more about he was considering giving out the first book for free, digitally when people still don't have the damn thing. That's pure exceptionalism.

View attachment 1203794

I keep banging on this, but they need to stop shackling themselves to small comic shops and expand out to where the people are. Dog Man has sold like 26 million copies since it started in 2016, people who want to read comics are out there, they just aren't hitting the LCS'. They could try something similar to Shonen Jump and put out books that give a nice sampling of their library to the Barnes and Nobles of the world, but I'm not sure how viable that is for American comics. They also need to find a way to capitalize off all their movies and tv shows. Almost none of the fans of those will ever touch a comic, but I'd be hard pressed to find someone who watched an One Piece movie or the anime, but never read the manga. As for hitting the Eastern audience, they could test the waters with heroes like Spider-man or Supergirl, who I hear is surprisingly popular in Japan and then slowing add other characters and see what sticks. Although with the MCU being a huge success, Marvel could probably push this idea much faster than the others.

Also they need better artists, Japan wasn't happy when this was the cover
View attachment 1203969

but they got this bullshit on the inside
View attachment 1203968
Building the western market to where it is in the east is a decades long project of getting kids in with kids comics, graduating them to comics specifically aimed at teens, then young adults, then adults, etc.

But to break into an eastern market with already voracious consumers might not be such a monumental task. Literally any of the existing companies have nothing to lose but however long it takes to get an established Japanese company to take a chance on them and few hundred dollars to translate a book if the rates for anime are any indication. Even if you're not making how much you're used to on a book, the door is open for licensing and merchandise if a success happens

New Fag

kiwifarms.net
And LOL at "Digital is the future" last I checked only around 10% of comic sales are digital. These SJWs are delusional.
Yep it's been stuck at roughly $100 million forever. Just wait till this years figures come out and they ignore the WuFlu damage by saying "look how digital has increased market share of sales CoMiCs AreN'T DyInG!!1!"

2010 $8m
2011 $25m
2012 $70m
2013 $90m
2014 $100m
2015 $89.4m
2016 $90m
2017 $90m
2018 $100m
2019 $104m

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net
Building the western market to where it is in the east is a decades long project of getting kids in with kids comics, graduating them to comics specifically aimed at teens, then young adults, then adults, etc.

But to break into an eastern market with already voracious consumers might not be such a monumental task. Literally any of the existing companies have nothing to lose but however long it takes to get an established Japanese company to take a chance on them and few hundred dollars to translate a book if the rates for anime are any indication. Even if you're not making how much you're used to on a book, the door is open for licensing and merchandise if a success happens
This actually reminded me that the manga Spider-man Fake Red exists and is fresh from last year, so you're not wrong. It is completely possible for these guys to just farm out IP's the to the east, they just aren't doing this as much as they could for whatever reason.
unnamed.jpg

WhimsicalTrolli

kiwifarms.net
Its a shame that brand 2 is kinda a flop, he will probably variant cover the fuck out of it and he needs to fulfil both books accordingly if he thinks he could make profit off of brand 2 or even attempt making brand 3.

Adamska

Last Gunman
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
If anyone here wanted to back Mitch but didn't due to his RR incompetence, I'd still recommend picking up the Futurists at Walmart
No. Fuck no. Never.

Mitch can't fucking commit to doing something I payed for? Then I don't give a shit even if he made a masterpiece with something else. If I won't ever give Rian Johnson a second chance despite his own credits, then Mitch sure as shit isn't getting one.

He's dead to me.
And yet manga, a reasonably comparable product, has pushing 60% sales digital.

The problem isn't with the format it's delivered in, the problem is with the product. In the manga world, you can find epic fantasy, slice of life, teen sports team dramas, anthropomorphized human cells, an entire subgenre or getting killed and waking up in a magical world, etc. and the marketing is sliced up into young boys/girls, teen boys/girls, young adult... etc. with the intent of graduating customers into the next bracket. Comics offers heroes in capes for a single demographic considered as a whole
They don't even offer capes anymore really; it's just whining propoganda more often than not, with things like Immortal Hulk being rare gems that then get ruined by spiteful trust fund kids or manchildren parasites who survive off of others to "work" in comics.

And yeah, that variety and the fact you can get entire volumes in one better kept together batch makes manga very appealing. I always did prefer tradebooks over floppies tbh.

Gee Willows Wilson!

Holy Hijab, Ms. Marvel!
kiwifarms.net
I'm reporting you for this.

But in all seriousness, it's a shame Brand 2 didn't do well, but he really did goof the fuck up out of his campaign. He wasn't on as many big streams as he used to be, and again, no one has the first issue... I don't know what Antonio was thinking. Because as far as I can tell, the books are ready, just needing to be shipped, so it's not like Cridious where there is no fucking book... Or Mitch where he's doing all these moves and deals before his first campaign gets fulfilled. Canaan White's art is really great, especially compared to the bozos we have at the big 2 now... Brand 2, assuming the story is actually compelling, could have been a hit, but instead, it's barely a success (and I only mean success in that he at least got just over 10k funding). It's not a success in the grand scheme of things, and it probably could have.

verissimus

kiwifarms.net
Someone might have already posted this before, but just in case :

I'm sure this will be filed under locker room talk or something.

...guess EVS isn't the only one with a mouth. Freaking hell, Doug

Edit : Goddang Doug is a boss. Who knew.

Edit 2 : Well that escalated

Last edited:

Detrogen

Real Humdinger
kiwifarms.net

Don’t worry. Of course some sped tagged EVS in the comments and now he’s in there causing a stir. Also, I remember seeing those EVS DMs a while back. They’re pretty old at this point but people pretty eagerly forgot them.

Attachments for EVS’ tweet aren’t working so here’s the archive.

instythot

kiwifarms.net
Don’t worry. Of course some sped tagged EVS in the comments and now he’s in there causing a stir. Also, I remember seeing those EVS DMs a while back. They’re pretty old at this point but people pretty eagerly forgot them.

Attachments for EVS’ tweet aren’t working so here’s the archive.

I remember Ethan complaining about other people being overly concerned about a statement of his that could be taken hatefully if viewed from the exact right point of view like it was yesterday. Oh wait, that did happen yesterday

KingofNothing

Arise, Sir Leg of Lamb
kiwifarms.net

Oh I remember those. Those have been passed around for a while. People have faked DM's before but I'm 99% sure he's copped to the one with the Quartering, not sure about the other. Also that was a weird post for Doug to make when he's about go to get some life changing news. Be less worried about internet weirdos, more about your health.

• Agree
Reactions: Gee Willows Wilson!

verissimus

kiwifarms.net
Oh I remember those. Those have been passed around for a while. People have faked DM's before but I'm 99% sure he's copped to the one with the Quartering, not sure about the other. Also that was a weird post for Doug to make when he's about go to get some life changing news. Be less worried about internet weirdos, more about your health.
Normally I wouldn't approve of that sort of stuff, but what a send off to make if anything bad should happen.

instythot

kiwifarms.net
I mean ethan has told suicidal people to kill themselves and said faggot more times doug ever has, he isn't the guy to look for moral standards. What caused doug to cuss out tess and cg, its funny but did someone piss him off?
There is an excellent chance Doug typed that in the anger phase of the grief of taking a test to find out if he's probably going to die. People do weird shit when they get really bad news

WhimsicalTrolli

kiwifarms.net
Melanoma is a serious type of cancer, I do hope things turn out well for him, despite cg is going to make bitch streams wishing Ill on him. When he mentioned his family got instructions to publish his work forever does that mean he got outlines for other work he's working on, either as sequels or new material?

Jub-Jub

kiwifarms.net
Oh I remember those. Those have been passed around for a while. People have faked DM's before but I'm 99% sure he's copped to the one with the Quartering, not sure about the other.
Well he's also not wrong with the Quartering one. Antarctic Press are a bunch of faggots, and should be told to get fucked when inquiring about publishing anybodies book.