Mega Rad Gun Thread -

Pocket Dragoon

For one-tenth a soul, or a sexual favor.
kiwifarms.net
As a general rule I've found that most firearms that LEOs like and carry are pretty solid.
Probably varies by department, to be sure (I could have sworn I saw a cop carrying a Beretta 92FS back in the day, which is weird because Beretta is pretty fucking expensive as a rule. As a personal carry? Maybe, yeah. But as a duty gun?).
A lot of departments went with the S&W 1066 or variant, before later committing to Glocks or similar, when nobody was quite sure about polymer wondernines yet.

Beretta also went by the wayside when Glock & others could supply pistols & support at a far lower pricepoint. The fact that the 92S's durability was tetchy (although later addressed) when it came to spicy .40 didn't help.

Which reminds me; there are a plethora of cheap cop trade-in S&W 9mm & .40s on the secondary market now, which is nice considering they have nice triggers & soft-shooting characteristics for target fun.

I never did mesh with double-stack duty size pistols though, and instead finding combloc milsurp single-stacks to be much more practical & comfortable.

Personally; I've known a lot of guys who started carrying a 92 (or Taurus copy), and many still do; for much the same reasons why 1911a and wheelguns have persisted as carry pieces..... long after they should've become anachronisms, as early automobiles have gone

Firearms are peculiar that way, and are among the few inventions that either predate or are from the industrial revolution, which are still produced as originally designed.

In any case; my Opa told me once: "There's three things you never sell; guns, gold, land; and never take cash when you sell anything else."

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: nagant 1895

Sprig of Parsley

Damnation dignified
kiwifarms.net
As far as cartridges go I honestly think most modern 9mm defensive loads are perfectly fine for that sort of thing. I do think the ".40 Shitty & Weak" meme is dumb because .40S&W will punch holes in you just the same regardless of load and with proper defensive loads (and a gun that will handle them) it's fine. .45ACP is really a dinosaur but if you like it, you like it I guess. I don't think I've ever seen or fired a 10mm and from what I'm given to believe it's a spicy fucking boolit and not particularly fun to fire for extended periods of time.

• Agree
Reactions: Pocket Dragoon

Pocket Dragoon

kiwifarms.net
Before my guns were lost in my own tragic boating accident I used CLP Break-free, it's a lube, cleaner and oil rolled into one, and it doesn't smell as bad as Hoppe's #9.
CLP will also work as steering/hydro fluid, as a field-expedient emergency replacement (due to damage..... or dipshit privates pulling the wrong drainplug or hose).

I still have a half-gal can of CLP that has an NSN# which hasn't been on the books since the 70's; found it in the cab of an old deuce we used for recovery training.

At that time, CLP only came in pint or smaller bottles, and during the run up to deployment we needed more. The 8088-era supply system & hardcopies didn't list it, so things that officially didn't exist we could take home.

I've got to say, the vintage stuff has definitely got more preservative & lube qualities than current .mil or commercial CLP; but as for cleaning, not so much.

• Informative
Reactions: EurocopterTigre

Pocket Dragoon

kiwifarms.net
I've never tried to do a firearm, I guess I could give it a shot?
Anyone have some good lube recommendations?
Neither have I, but once put my hands on a beautiful London damascus 8-bore that would've been tempting....

And my .50 going cyclic always made me pop wood, does that count?

Pocket Dragoon

kiwifarms.net
Oh. Huh, makes sense. And yeah, 10ga are simply not worth it IMO. If you need a good goose gun just get something that can handle the 12ga 3 1/2" magnums.
At one point I was the temporary caretaker of a Hudsons-branded 1940's H&R single, which lived in da UP cabin as our family goose gun.

When the shotgun was handed to me, it came with 2 boxes of 40's era shells; 1 buck, 1 waterfowl.

I think there were 3 missing from each, or one for every decade it's been around.

The Shadow

The Shadow knows!
kiwifarms.net
Well, being The Shadow...gotta represent the nickel-plated 1911.

As a general rule I've found that most firearms that LEOs like and carry are pretty solid. Ithaca pump guns used to be popular IIRC, then Remington 870s. The 870 and 870 Express were good pump guns but Remington's apparently gone to complete shit and therefore only old Remingtons are worth having. I notice a lot of LEOs tend to prefer SIGSauers (which are fine pistols generally) or Glocks (which are OK, if memey as fuck because of media dumbassery). Probably varies by department, to be sure (I could have sworn I saw a cop carrying a Beretta 92FS back in the day, which is weird because Beretta is pretty fucking expensive as a rule. As a personal carry? Maybe, yeah. But as a duty gun?).
The Beretta 92 isn't an especially expensive gun, especially since US military contracts reduce the demand and increase the supply (a lot of retiring mils took them home, or bought what they knew). Sigs are known to be highly accurate out of the box; Glocks are known to be the Toyota of guns, reliable, cheap, and readily available.

Last edited:
Tags
None

About Us

The Kiwi Farms is about eccentric individuals and communities on the Internet. We call them lolcows because they can be milked for amusement or laughs. Our community is bizarrely diverse and spectators are encouraged to join the discussion.

We do not place intrusive ads, host malware, sell data, or run crypto miners with your browser. If you experience these things, you have a virus. If your malware system says otherwise, it is faulty.

Supporting the Forum

How to Help

The Kiwi Farms is constantly attacked by insane people and very expensive to run. It would not be here without community support.

BTC: 1DgS5RfHw7xA82Yxa5BtgZL65ngwSk6bmm
ETH: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
BAT: 0xc1071c60Ae27C8CC3c834E11289205f8F9C78CA5
LTC: LSZsFCLUreXAZ9oyc9JRUiRwbhkLCsFi4q
XMR: 438fUMciiahbYemDyww6afT1atgqK3tSTX25SEmYknpmenTR6wvXDMeco1ThX2E8gBQgm9eKd1KAtEQvKzNMFrmjJJpiino