ValiDate - an upcoming (and unsurprisingly racist) visual novel made by SJW's, for SJW's.

feline hysteria

kiwifarms.net
Thank God, Validate is going to have one sprite artist. Predictably, Dani chose her self-insert (Yolanda)'s artist.

View attachment 2126396
View attachment 2126400
View attachment 2126403

I personally liked Malik's artist the best. His style actually fit the game.
Oooh boy

Honestly, I like the new artists style much better. They somehow managed to make Arihi look good and his was definitely one of the designs I hated the most, and the game definitely had a problem with consistency in art quality so I guess this "fixes" that, but this whole "one artist redrawing all the sprites" thing.... where do I even begin!

This game's already been in production for way too long for what it is, and having one artist redraw all the sprites while they already HAVE finished sprites is nothing but a huge timesink, that's at least three months of work if they're working full time, not to mention they have to pay said artist. The "multiple artists of different ethnicities" thing was one of the games main gimmicks so I don't understand this decision at all, even if the game will look better in the end for it. I HIGHLY doubt the artists all wholeheartedly agreed to this, I know I would feel very disrespected if the game I was working on for months suddenly decided to throw all my work out so a coworker could come in and redo it all, basically taking all the credit. I'm sure they would still get credited as character designers, but what good is that when your work doesn't end up in the final product?

I'm guessing there was either some drama between the artists that lead to some of them leaving or refusing to work further for such little pay (can't find their kickstarter budget breakdown now but they had the same percentage for art, music, code, and writing when theres WAAAY more artists working on the game than composers, coders, and writers; so that's very likely. Plus, remember those patreon updates from a while back where Dani said they had problems with contracts?🤔), or Dani's gotten an ego boost from the attention and money she's getting and has deluded herself into thinking she's a professional game dev now and simply cannot settle for the shitty art of some of her friends. Seriously, no matter how dog shit their art is if you've already hired them and signed contracts have some respect for their labor and time.

Either way, I was always sure this whole game would blow up in their faces but now it seems even more likely; and sooner or later some artists will come out to talk about how horrible of an experience they had working with Dani. Why are they stepping down so all their work can be redrawn for no reason whem the game has clearly made no progress in terms of story, or the coding for the minigames? Why are they wasting so much time redesigning and redrawing so many assets that are already done when they should be finishing the damn game?

Pargon

Hitler died, my mother also died
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
Oooh boy

Honestly, I like the new artists style much better. They somehow managed to make Arihi look good and his was definitely one of the designs I hated the most, and the game definitely had a problem with consistency in art quality so I guess this "fixes" that, but this whole "one artist redrawing all the sprites" thing.... where do I even begin!

This game's already been in production for way too long for what it is, and having one artist redraw all the sprites while they already HAVE finished sprites is nothing but a huge timesink, that's at least three months of work if they're working full time, not to mention they have to pay said artist. The "multiple artists of different ethnicities" thing was one of the games main gimmicks so I don't understand this decision at all, even if the game will look better in the end for it. I HIGHLY doubt the artists all wholeheartedly agreed to this, I know I would feel very disrespected if the game I was working on for months suddenly decided to throw all my work out so a coworker could come in and redo it all, basically taking all the credit. I'm sure they would still get credited as character designers, but what good is that when your work doesn't end up in the final product?

I'm guessing there was either some drama between the artists that lead to some of them leaving or refusing to work further for such little pay (can't find their kickstarter budget breakdown now but they had the same percentage for art, music, code, and writing when theres WAAAY more artists working on the game than composers, coders, and writers; so that's very likely. Plus, remember those patreon updates from a while back where Dani said they had problems with contracts?🤔), or Dani's gotten an ego boost from the attention and money she's getting and has deluded herself into thinking she's a professional game dev now and simply cannot settle for the shitty art of some of her friends. Seriously, no matter how dog shit their art is if you've already hired them and signed contracts have some respect for their labor and time.

Either way, I was always sure this whole game would blow up in their faces but now it seems even more likely; and sooner or later some artists will come out to talk about how horrible of an experience they had working with Dani. Why are they stepping down so all their work can be redrawn for no reason whem the game has clearly made no progress in terms of story, or the coding for the minigames? Why are they wasting so much time redesigning and redrawing so many assets that are already done when they should be finishing the damn game?
I hope to fuck all the artists whose work they are deciding not to use still got paid because if not it needs to be torch-and-pitchfork time in a very big way.

Very few things piss me off more than artists of any kind not getting paid for their time because "well lol we decided not to use your material and plus we're all poor too sooooooo :(" Fuck you, if you can't afford your production costs then adjust your project or cancel.

Disc

I want my cringe New Years Announcement, dammit.
kiwifarms.net
Oooh boy

I think the problem is that several of them still don't have finished sprites. "Nobody's done their job so we're refocusing on one of the better ones" makes a lot more sense than any other interpretation, methinks.

Though that A: Might still get some people screwed over and B: would have been much less likely to happen if they didn't take a THREE MONTH BREAK.

But still, guess we just say fuck that girl who made Anoki as basically a self-insert:

Anyone see this yet? One of the 13 artists for ValiDate apparently can't take constructive criticism on her characters becase (in her words) it's basically a self insert and people calling it ugly makes her feelings hurt.

View attachment 1461833
View attachment 1461835
Archive Here

It just boggles my mind how these people create content that could possibly leave the Tumblr-Nu Twitter sphere and realize that... hey! Not everyone likes it or thinks it's 'empowering,' some people just see a fat, annoying, insufferably-written character. Knowing that it's her self insert makes this a lot more funny, to be honest.

Aaa0aaa0

internet sticker enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
[well said and thought out response that comes from the heart.]
A little late but you are more valid than the entire cast of validate and the creators who made them. It really sucks to be "the emperor has no clothes on" boy but still get denial stones thrown at you instead of the original ending. Hopefully, even if they release their game it gets roasted by the twitter chuds they pander to.
Seriously, no matter how dog shit their art is if you've already hired them and signed contracts have some respect for their labor and time.
I don't even know if they bothered to make contracts in the first place tbh. I can't see them planning ahead more than a verbal agreement.
If having people on Twitter mock your self-insert drives you to tears, don't make a self-insert.
This a moment young writers have to learn again and again, where someone places their hand on the stove they turned on moments ago and then blames everyone else. Pretty amazing tbh.

dappouROCK

Faget.
kiwifarms.net
The sudden like-bombing on my old posts reminded me of this threads existence, and good god, I had a hunch some characters were self inserts, but this is just ridiculous.

It is literally one of the unspoken rules of game development. Do NOT make a self-insert of you or anyone you know, unless it’s like an easter egg/ hidden dev room shit. If you intend to make yourself a legitament character in a fictional world, you will experience:

A) Sexual/ fetish art of the character you made as a self-insert. This art may or may not have you paired with a character you would never like or find gross, which might make you uncomfortable. If it exists, pron of it will exist.

B) Critisism of the character. Someone may not like this character, and since it is you’re oh so treasured self-insert, they, in turn, probably think you have a shit personality, which may upset you.

C) May accidentally increase your skin tone by one pixel of melanin in their fanart. This is by far the WORST offense. They are basically saying you would be better white, if you are a dark skinned character, which will enrage you. (Yes, this one was sarcasm.)

Last edited:

Aaa0aaa0

internet sticker enthusiast
kiwifarms.net
There are so many indie devs who make ~personal~ games its almost normalized to add a self insert. Usually, they're insulated by said community so their insert never gets out of it and they will either keep to that community and continue to be pretentious or grow out of it. This person had the misfortune of self inserting into a "bigger" game, something twitter and kickstarter people saw and so did people outside of the insular community. They learned the hard way.

Dating sims like this can also be die for our ship, so she needs to be prepared on that front if the game actually comes out (lol).

There are a good number of indie games that are personal but either don't have a self insert or aren't shit, btw. Shout outs to those for making it work.

Panda788

hold me tigjt like hamburguer
kiwifarms.net
The change of appointing one artist for the making of the sprites is perhaps the best choice they have made so far. These people are likely not being paid/officially hired, which means this project isn't getting their full attention and is more of a hobby, which might also be the reason of their "three month break". People being busy with their personal lives/jobs/school and not having energy/passion to work on making a shitty game they joined on a whim all while not being paid for it.

I don't blame them on not wanting to work if this is what is happening but I also think they only have themselves to blame for being really fucking stupid to agree to it.

While the artist is redrawing the sprites they should make sure to take the chance and redesign most of the characters since they're ugly as fuck.

dappouROCK

Faget.
kiwifarms.net
There are so many indie devs who make ~personal~ games its almost normalized to add a self insert. Usually, they're insulated by said community so their insert never gets out of it and they will either keep to that community and continue to be pretentious or grow out of it. This person had the misfortune of self inserting into a "bigger" game, something twitter and kickstarter people saw and so did people outside of the insular community. They learned the hard way.

Dating sims like this can also be die for our ship, so she needs to be prepared on that front if the game actually comes out (lol).

There are a good number of indie games that are personal but either don't have a self insert or aren't shit, btw. Shout outs to those for making it work.
See, I feel like self-inserts are okay when handled properly in a game that is more personal, like those little intractable VNs/ No-battle RPGs (as an example). The ones where you tell an important story in your life or the story of your life itself, either to teach a lesson you cherish, be about the time you cherished with someone, or to have memoir for when you pass.

It’s another to make yourself a dateable character in a dating sim. It is about as pretentious as YIIK‘s self-insert protagonist.

Last edited:

Doppio Vinegar

The Fan Favorite of Leafcord
kiwifarms.net
Damn, I forgot about this thread until I got a sudden surge of likes from my posts here. Hello again!

Honestly, I hope the new sprite artist gains full artistic liberty. From Arihi's facial hair (and fixed hair-hair, thankfully! His hair looked so crispy and unnatural. It made me uncomfortable.), I'm assuming they can do whatever they desire to characters to fit them into the game without having them stand out like sore thumbs. There's a lot of uggos in this cast of misfits, too. It'll take quite a bit of effort to make the characters less heinous to look at. (I'm looking at you, Catherine.)

Our beloved Keaton is probably going to get the short end of the stick, given he's the Token Whitey. Not looking forward to his redesign. *sigh*

Also, the ValiDate website produces this error. Their certificate expired, leading to web browsers warning anyone who tries to enter it.

1620185177556.png

Best possibly route in this game would be Keaton and Malik meeting in the Poopeyes and having a boring as fuck conversation that ends with Malik going "check out my soundcloud bruh". Someone accuses them of flirting and then they beat the shit out of each other and then the game crashes
Let's one up it, game crushes, uninstalls itself, find some gore online, sends it to developers in archive called kittens, hacks into satellite, transmits codes to nuclear missiles and bombs the hell out every developer involved in that game, because it became selfaware of how much cringe it contains

NoFeline

Xenic, adjectⅳe: denot㏌g the presence of bacteria
True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net

Questionable Ceviche

True & Honest Fan
kiwifarms.net
My god, it completely slipped my mind to think a thread would exist for ValiDate, this game's presence is so fucking annoying and I cant wait for it to die out. And Dani is by far the most obnoxious presence I ever had the displeasure to be pressured into almost following/""liking"". All she does is obsess about her special gender (nonbinary woman still makes me laugh.), making begging posts for dumb useless shit (I should've screenshotted it but she once wanted money for like, a piece of furniture from her audience? Just, something she didn't need at all.) and swinging a bat at hornets nests in the form of annoying tweets. She linked her ko-fi under certain tweets saying people have to pay her if they want to argue with her as another fun example. I'll have to see if those posts are still up because they're worth a chuckle in how pathetic they are.

I hope it is not too cringe of me to complain for a second, but as someone who, apparently is the 'target audience' for this kind of game, the designs sincerely suck and are so obtuse and swinging to and fro between caricatures and complete inaccuracy like a fuckin' souped up toddler on a rocking horse. The characters are as shallow as a tea cup dish and as "representing"/"validating" as a home depot paint swatch that happens to match someone's skin tone. The only enjoyable character is Malik and that's not saying much imo. I feel most 'POC' who are public figures online are too scared to say a peep about the game and how shitty it is in reality because they don't want to be thrown under the rug for racism by their own ilk. Which is why I don't say a single damn thing publicly myself. Apologies ahead of time if the "As a -insert indentity here-" thing is annoying I just feel it backs up my thoughts and observations here a tad.

When I was first, unfortunately, exposed to ValiDate I was in a group chat with friends who were all white (I'm not antagonizing them for being so, its just for context and I thought'd it be a funny story to tell here.), I sincerely thought they were trying to playing a rousing bout a jest by showing me some shitty tumblr parody like that Hamilton miku binder shit. Yolanda is the first character they showed me and I really thought it was a hop and a skip away from racism and I questioned them, I was especially confused by the implied ethnicity/race/nationality of Yolanda which, are different things people struggle with figuring out what qualifies as what, apparently. There's no way in hell she is ethnically korean.

As a blasian myself (sorry if TMI I want to complain.), and as someone who also knows many asians by proxy of being such, Yolanda is the farthest thing from looking a single ounce of Korean. Though I'm sure thats fucking obvious as all hell, but I'm happy to give more solidarity to that fact. Unless there's some implied genetic lottery here there's no way to come out that dark. But light skinned blasians are basically white to these tumblrite people despite still being a shade of brown. Colorism is a funny little thing, isn't it. As an aside, Black people live in Korea yes, it'd be dumb to say otherwise, but they aren't ethnically korean, but they can be migrants or born there and have the nationality. Same can be said for the character that's apparently Chinese. Though, that should be obvious to anyone with the ability to use their brain. If their writers had the ability to write backstory and personalities that weren't thin as tracing paper they could perhaps use the concept of these being nationalities instead of ethnicities but that's probably too much to ask of people who rely on memes and tumblr/twitter humor to make anything of substance.

Harkening back to my experience, the funniest thing about that whole group chat instance was they thought I was being racist when I said I was decently uncomfortable and confused by being presented one of the shittiest character designs I've seen that made no sense with even context provided, and I was expected to feel ~RePrEsEnTeD~. I'm not going to bother going into exact detail but you have no idea how weird it is to be treated like a specialty object by hyperwokes for being "pee oh see" and then lambasted for saying something that feels like some horrid parody is such by people who've been steeping in white guilt since they signed up for tumblr. The whole game feels like it's pandering to people with white guilt and complete disconnects with what ethnicity/race/nationality is and how other cultures function outside of America. I'm sure someone could word what I mean better, though.

Also, it's equal parts fascinating and hard to describe how frustrating it is to be a 'POC' and having people grasp at that label like its some sort of invincibility shield when they make downright shit content like this that is trying too hard to cater to hyper specific niches of people in an attempt at realism that it ends up looking like down right racism and hollow representations that do more mocking than any bit of help in terms of making people feel 'validated'. I can't even talk about this with any one I know because they're too scared to look racist or some flavor of -phobe to give criticism the game rightfully deserves in the current publicly available state its in.

Anyways sorry if that was stupid I don't have a single soul outside of kiwifarms I could whine about this shit to for reasons aforementioned :(
This kind of fake, bad-faith representation is extremely damaging to the communities and individuals therein that the content creators are trying to grift. Not only do you not get content about characters and communities you identify with, you get something worse than nothing - a mockery thereof created for ulterior motives like clout and profit seeking. This content doesn't give back or uplift or nurture. It only takes. ValiDate is a rainbow minstrel show created to fleece the ignorant and woke.

Healthy communities need critique and gut-checks to stay healthy. Calling spades spades and taking out the trash is just basic community management. The abject failure of these 'safe spaces' to do so is why we have so many threads about genderspecial peeohhcee grifters, fat activists, munchies, and tranny freakshows. The far left has gotten so radically intolerant of any perceived insult to their worldview that places like KiwiFarms end up being the only space where people can express any kind of sentiment about it that's not blind adoration.